GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 194 Likes on 133 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Originally Posted by HiDesertKim
HOWDY! I am new to your forum and very much appreciate your informative posts. I recently plunked down a $1000.00 refundable deposit on this vehicle. My question: would you still purchase this vehicle today, knowing what you do about the AdBlue issues? Thank you. Kim
I would still purchase it again without a doubt. Your GLK will likely be trouble-free. Enjoy!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Glk250 BlueTec
HOWDY! I am new to your forum and very much appreciate your informative posts. I recently plunked down a $1000.00 refundable deposit on this vehicle. My question: would you still purchase this vehicle today, knowing what you do about the AdBlue issues? Thank you. Kim
Without a doubt, I would still purchase this vehicle. The problems have been resolved in the ones recently built. Also Mercedes stands behind their products and will keep you happy. I love mine and have had no problems during my first few months of ownership.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Eyesncars
Also Mercedes stands behind their products and will keep you happy. I love mine and have had no problems during my first few months of ownership.
DITTO!!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250, 2014 Mustang Convertible, 2000 Ford Ranger, 04 Honda ST1300
In a heart beat! I took possession of a recent build 2014 two weeks and 1400 kilometres ago and haven't had a single issue. If your putting a deposit down now yours will probably be a 2015 model if it's a custom order. If it's on the dealer lot it's most likely a later 2014 where the issue has already been corrected. Up here they don't stay on the lot longer than a couple weeks.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 AM

2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC on order
AdBlue

THANK YOU for your input. Mine is being built, with a ship date of 17 April. Since I live in a rural area and commute, I need a very reliable car. One more question: I plan to refill the adblue instead of driving 3 hours to the dealer. Any problems with this? Kim
Old 04-12-2014, 04:23 PM

2013 GLK250BT
DEF Refill

No issue at all. Just refilled mine for the second time using Peak DEF. Mine only consumes about 2.5 gallons/10k miles. It's $11.97 at Walmart. Just buy one quart of MB Adblue to have a dispensing container to make it a bit easier. (cut the bottom out and save for future refills) Although, you can do it with a simple kitchen funnel. I would recommend that after using the Adblue container, wash it out before storing. The residual DEF turns crusty and flakes off. You can buy the MB fluid from ebay/Amazon, etc. for around $20.

Same as others, no regrets. No issues at all at 20K miles and just under 9 months of ownership.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 PM

2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC on order
THANKS for your replies...just one more question regarding the AdBlue: does filling require a computer reset? Kim
Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 AM

It will when the warning light comes on!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:20 PM

Glk 250
Glk 250 2014

Ad blue warning with 10 restarts left. Car has 3800 miles. This will be my second visit to dealer first was for Evs and check engine light with 250 mil. I am afraid I have a lemon to deal with . mercedes is not what it used to be ! !
Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM

2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
Couple of thousand miles and 2 months since 2nd trip to dealer for CEL light and adblu admonishment. No further problems. Love the car otherwise.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:32 AM
H42

GLK250
Just turned 20k and love our GLK. Had both 10k and 20k service done and used at 2.5 gallons on AdBlue on each. Dealer waived the labor on the refill both times. Where is the fill cap for the AdBlue on the GLK250. Is it under the rear carpet?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM

2012 C250
Originally Posted by H42
Just turned 20k and love our GLK. Had both 10k and 20k service done and used at 2.5 gallons on AdBlue on each. Dealer waived the labor on the refill both times. Where is the fill cap for the AdBlue on the GLK250. Is it under the rear carpet?
It is under the liner in the trunk.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:23 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTec
Thumbs down Losing my mind

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but after reading through it I am pretty surprised by my situation. It seems that most people here were told there was a "solution" somewhere around early December.

I purchased my GLK250 7 weeks ago. I bought it in LA and had to drive back up to college in Northern California. 100 miles into the drive (130 miles on car), check engine light came on. Car was running fine and we were not in a good area, so we kept on going.

Dreaded AdBlue 10 starts remaining came on at about 200 miles, and we pulled over and I spoke with Roadside Assistance. The woman told me I needed to go and BUY AdBlue, to which I responded that I purchased a brand new car that day and was not going to buy anything. Continued driving as we were in a terrible area and it was late at night and we weren't about to sit there and wait an hour for roadside assistance. AdBlue sensor eventually randomly turned off and check engine light remained. I called the dealership up North the next morning and took it in.

I'm not 21 yet (20 and on my second HORRIBLE experience with a brand new MB), so they "can't" give me a loaner. I sat in the dealership for several hours while they "fixed" my car and told me it was just a software glitch.

Finally get to start the drive home and check engine light comes back on. Car goes back to the dealership and I refuse to stay there any longer with a 1 day old car. Magically get a loaner. Get car back two days later with the claim that it's fixed.

Check engine light comes on the next day and back to the dealership I go. Once again they "can't" give me a loaner and I sit at the dealership and miss a whole day of classes and work. The service department now tells me that it's an issue with MB software and they're waiting for a "patch" and I should "just ignore it."

I've had the car 7 WEEKS and it's gone a total of 4 DAYS without the check engine light on. FOUR.DAYS.

Now I'm down to 5 starts on AdBlue, and I don't have time to sit at the dealership again for 6 hours and wait while they "fix" the car. Especially since they told me to "just ignore it" and now I'm stuck in a bad situation with it. I'm honestly tempted to let it get to 0 and force them to react and actually fix something. I'm an hour from the dealership so they'd really have to figure something out. And tomorrow is Sunday so they'll probably claim they can't do anything.....

Anyone still having issues with this?!!? At this point I want a new car, especially since this is my second horrible (documented) experience with a brand new Mercedes Benz vehicle.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 AM

2004 Oxford Green BMW 530i SMG
Originally Posted by erikaturk
Anyone still having issues with this?!!? At this point I want a new car, especially since this is my second horrible (documented) experience with a brand new Mercedes Benz vehicle.
I'm curious to see if Mercedes is reacquiring vehicles from owners for this reason.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Have you contacted MBUSA directly?

I would first go to dealer and ask them to contact MBUSA customer service rep on your behalf. Tell them you want to speak to them while you wait. If no luck, try contacting MBUSA yourself. It may be hard to find the right number or person, but someone here may know how (I am in Canada where it is different).

Because of your age, they may be giving you the run around. Maybe find someone to go with you and provide moral support!

I am sure MBUSA want to help you. Its just a matter of getting to the right person.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:23 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by severecaraddict
I'm curious to see if Mercedes is reacquiring vehicles from owners for this reason.
Someone in this thread said that they were able to trade after a certain number of attempts to fix this problem. If they could fix the old car with a real solution, I'd be beyond happy to keep it, it's a great car and exactly what I wanted. But having spent that much money on a car I don't want to be told to ignore the problem and then have to deal with the inconvenience of when the car decides to quit.

Originally Posted by 107123210
Have you contacted MBUSA directly?

I would first go to dealer and ask them to contact MBUSA customer service rep on your behalf. Tell them you want to speak to them while you wait. If no luck, try contacting MBUSA yourself. It may be hard to find the right number or person, but someone here may know how (I am in Canada where it is different).

Because of your age, they may be giving you the run around. Maybe find someone to go with you and provide moral support!

I am sure MBUSA want to help you. Its just a matter of getting to the right person.
My parents are 7 hours away and have only been able to take action on the phone, so it is an incredibly real possibility that my continued issues with getting someone to figure it out is due to my age.

We have a closer dealership than this one but my last experience there was so bad (was told to "go call mommy and daddy," among other lovely things) that I prefer to drive to this one. I am starting to wonder, however, if the same thing is happening at this one, just in a nicer way. I'll try contacting MBUSA and having my parents contact them, if they haven't already. Thank you for the advice!!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
Sorry to drag this thread back up, but after reading through it I am pretty surprised by my situation. It seems that most people here were told there was a "solution" somewhere around early December.

I purchased my GLK250 7 weeks ago. I bought it in LA and had to drive back up to college in Northern California. 100 miles into the drive (130 miles on car), check engine light came on. Car was running fine and we were not in a good area, so we kept on going.

Dreaded AdBlue 10 starts remaining came on at about 200 miles, and we pulled over and I spoke with Roadside Assistance. The woman told me I needed to go and BUY AdBlue, to which I responded that I purchased a brand new car that day and was not going to buy anything. Continued driving as we were in a terrible area and it was late at night and we weren't about to sit there and wait an hour for roadside assistance. AdBlue sensor eventually randomly turned off and check engine light remained. I called the dealership up North the next morning and took it in.

I'm not 21 yet (20 and on my second HORRIBLE experience with a brand new MB), so they "can't" give me a loaner. I sat in the dealership for several hours while they "fixed" my car and told me it was just a software glitch.

Finally get to start the drive home and check engine light comes back on. Car goes back to the dealership and I refuse to stay there any longer with a 1 day old car. Magically get a loaner. Get car back two days later with the claim that it's fixed.

Check engine light comes on the next day and back to the dealership I go. Once again they "can't" give me a loaner and I sit at the dealership and miss a whole day of classes and work. The service department now tells me that it's an issue with MB software and they're waiting for a "patch" and I should "just ignore it."

I've had the car 7 WEEKS and it's gone a total of 4 DAYS without the check engine light on. FOUR.DAYS.

Now I'm down to 5 starts on AdBlue, and I don't have time to sit at the dealership again for 6 hours and wait while they "fix" the car. Especially since they told me to "just ignore it" and now I'm stuck in a bad situation with it. I'm honestly tempted to let it get to 0 and force them to react and actually fix something. I'm an hour from the dealership so they'd really have to figure something out. And tomorrow is Sunday so they'll probably claim they can't do anything.....

I had a check engine light problem that resulted in the dealer buying the car back. I traded into a 14 glk250 with what I considered to be a very fair price.

You need to document whats going on and check your states lemon law requirements. Normally a dealer will give you a loaner while your car is in the shop. Make sure you contact MB customer care to document you complaints.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Did you contact the selling dealer of the car? That would have been my first action. Let them work for the commission you gave them Let them contact MBUSA on your behalf and get the problem solved. Let them get you a loaner car at the dealer near you. This is a Mercedes and not a Kia. Go to the head of the dealer if you are not satisfied. You are a student and can't miss classes or work. It's that simple. If you don't get satisfaction, put a bad review on dealerrater and watch how quickly you get the result you need. I can't stand people that take advantage of others at your expense. They must have consequences for their decision to treat you like garbage. The service dealer should have gotten you a loaner immediately. Shame on them. Please post the name of the dealer so people will avoid them.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by LesF
I had a check engine light problem that resulted in the dealer buying the car back. I traded into a 14 glk250 with what I considered to be a very fair price.

You need to document whats going on and check your states lemon law requirements. Normally a dealer will give you a loaner while your car is in the shop. Make sure you contact MB customer care to document you complaints.
At this point I am tired of taking the car back and forth; and I'm certainly not comfortable "ignoring it." I want a vehicle that functions. I now have 2 starts left, and I cannot be without a car. If it was a software only problem like they said why is everyone with a GLK not having these issues, and why is Mercedes not scrambling to figure out a fix for it?

They are saying that the "can't" give me a loaner since I'm not 21 yet, but they magically bent the rules once and now refuse to do so again despite the car coming back to them in perfect condition.

Originally Posted by Eyesncars
Did you contact the selling dealer of the car? That would have been my first action. Let them work for the commission you gave them Let them contact MBUSA on your behalf and get the problem solved. Let them get you a loaner car at the dealer near you. This is a Mercedes and not a Kia. Go to the head of the dealer if you are not satisfied. You are a student and can't miss classes or work. It's that simple. If you don't get satisfaction, put a bad review on dealerrater and watch how quickly you get the result you need. I can't stand people that take advantage of others at your expense. They must have consequences for their decision to treat you like garbage. The service dealer should have gotten you a loaner immediately. Shame on them. Please post the name of the dealer so people will avoid them.
My stepdad has been calling the selling dealer (since day ONE when the car's check engine light and adblue warning came on) who has now chosen to stop returning his calls. I am horrified by the business ethics and actions of Mercedes Benz at this point. Selling dealer is a HUGE dealership in LA. Last time they actually called my stepdad back they said they were sorry and would "send me a present." Never sent it, and I don't want a present I want a car that works!!

Dealer I use in NorCal is a much smaller dealer who I went to after terrible disrespect issues at a closer dealership. Now I make the drive to this one, but clearly they're not solving anything. They've been open since 11 AM today and it's now almost 3:30 -- still no word or progress and car is still in my possession. Guess I'll just walk everywhere now?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Dealer I use in NorCal is a much smaller dealer who I went to after terrible disrespect issues at a closer dealership. Now I make the drive to this one, but clearly they're not solving anything. They've been open since 11 AM today and it's now almost 3:30 -- still no word or progress and car is still in my possession. Guess I'll just walk everywhere now?
What dealer in NorCal is this? Surprised one is open on a Sunday.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Bob338
What dealer in NorCal is this? Surprised one is open on a Sunday.
Vacaville. They ended up saying that they'd come get it today but under no circumstance could I have a loaner car.

Because of what you said, I ended up calling Rocklin. They apologized profusely for what had happened to me with the car, approved the loaner, and offered me an appointment as quickly as I could get there. I can't thank you enough for your recommendation, I had a great experience there. Here's hoping it's the last time in a long time that the car has to go in and they can actually fix it.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Glad it worked out for you!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 PM

glk250
I had this problem once @ 2000 miles. Took it to our local dealer in here in Georgetown, TX and they fixed it within 2 days.

They did the update to the ECU.

Last week, I was in again for a faulty crank position sensor @ 12,000 miles.

Thats been all so far. I have faith in this drivetrain because they are putting it into several models now, from the sprinter van to the upcoming ml250. Hopefully that was the last of my troubles with the GLK.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 AM

Glk250 blue tech 2014
Toronto Canada first day on the road 20km and CEL, can't express how disappointed I am, picked MB over BMW.... After reading the previous 13 pages have expectation that the adblue warnings are next. will bring to dealer and will update
Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by Lotus8565
Toronto Canada first day on the road 20km and CEL, can't express how disappointed I am, picked MB over BMW.... After reading the previous 13 pages have expectation that the adblue warnings are next. will bring to dealer and will update

Disappointed as you might be (truly UNDERSTAND that pint) but we changed from BMW X3 (BMW didn't have Diesel in x3) and MBGLK250 has better quality on so many points... with BMW costing nearly 10K more for same options
MB has had this issue - sure they SHOULD deal with it better - but the pesky AD-BLUE 'sensor' is something bit hard to manage- as you cannot test it until you FILL WITH DISEAL and drive!!!!(that's ONE MAJOR WHY AUDI;s have nearly 100Kms in them at delivery) Not sure if your car is built Post Jan2014 - but anything past that date should haven't this issue (so am told by MB USA)..so mean time your MB dealer should help you while you drive their NEW SLK550 Loaner !:P:P

The friend we were helping to get a 'smaller diesel' than her X5. We talked with 5 BMW dealers - all of them couldn't care less about 'the customers' as they seems to sell lots of them so anyone wanting to buy something non-stocked ( off the lot) they all seemed so arrogant salesman (in our experience's) We even looked @ getting her a MB from USA into Canada etc

She ended up with Audi Q5 3.0 Diesel and saved 10K FULLY loaded (every option you can get off factory....even got a FREE IPAD holder from factory eeeek ) AND it was just delivered a week EARLY !!!...Surprising part - the AD-BLUE it has a filler cap near the Diesel filler (big plus) PLUS HAD A SPARE TIRE !!!!

Hope this helps

Last edited by miked807; 05-07-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: sp

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning