MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   GLK250 4matic or not? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/522886-glk250-4matic-not.html)

107123210 12-04-2013 04:44 PM

GLK250 4matic or not?

The MBCanada site says the 2014 GLK250 has 4Matic.

"GLK 250 BlueTEC 4MATIC SUV (2014)"

But the usual 4matic emblem is not on the rear door.

Are all GLK250s like that? Or just Canada?

bytemaster0 12-04-2013 05:57 PM

All of them are like this. Only CDIs show the 4Matic emblem. The BlueTECs all just show the BLUETEC badge on the car. All GLK250 BTs are equipped with 4Matic. Because the diesel vehicles have lower sales in North America, it's a lot easier to just make one drivetrain setup for this car.

107123210 12-04-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by bytemaster0 (Post 5864555)
All of them are like this. Only CDIs show the 4Matic emblem. The BlueTECs all just show the BLUETEC badge on the car. All GLK250 BTs are equipped with 4Matic. Because the diesel vehicles have lower sales in North America, it's a lot easier to just make one drivetrain setup for this car.

I called my dealer and he confirmed what you say. I had been showing car to my brother in law who has a Honda. We had them side by side. His said 4WD, mine said nothing! Got me thinking!

The manual says very little, but it does say something about towing 4matics. With nothing on back lid to warn tow truck, it may cause a problem. I only skimmed that section. Need to re-read.

bytemaster0 12-04-2013 06:39 PM

Indeed. However, the "4WD" logo on the Honda is ill-deserved. That's because they are all front-wheel-drive-based, using a variable electromechanically-locking rear differential that kicks in during straight-line acceleration and loss of traction. Or, if it's the CR-V, it uses a variant of a Haldex coupling that must have wheel slip to even begin torque transfer. Translation: the front wheels are already slipping and digging into the snow or losing traction on ice before the rears will offer any help; if going up a steep incline, this won't help nearly as much as full-time AWD.

The only cars that can really call themselves "4WD" use locking center diffs (or have no center diff and are straight-up locked.) The G-Wagen comes to mind, as do some models of the Toyota 4Runner, Land Cruiser, etc. Most other vehicles qualify as AWD, but not all work as well. 4Matic uses a 45/55 F/R variable torque split, which is governed by electronically-controlled clutch plates at the center differential. (The Honda-based systems don't have a center diff at all.) Tires, weight, and loading all equal, 4Matic will get up a snowy mountain pass better than just about any other AWD system. Mercedes did it right.

ble2716 12-04-2013 07:35 PM

I believe all GLK250 are equipped with 4matic.
Only GLK350 has an option of 2WD or 4matic.