MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Mud Flaps / Splash Guards (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/523222-mud-flaps-splash-guards.html)

107123210 12-07-2013 01:55 PM

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards

I am starting to come round to the idea of installing mud flaps. I have only driven car 80km and it already looks a mess :(

Anyone know what dealer price is for set of mud flaps in Canada (or USA) ?

I have seen them on ebay.com for something like $179 but by the time they were shipped to Canada, we would be over C$200.

Then I see universal mudflaps for $18/pr or $36 for full set. I am sure they could be installed (they even mention Mercedes on size chart) But don't know what the downside would be.

Koenig1 12-07-2013 06:03 PM

Believe it or not, I purchased a set of 4 from Hong Kong.....! About $75.00! They are identical to the MB ones, fit my GLK with running brds perfectly, and easy to install! Winter driving up here eats your paint, and these deter some of the sh/t! Name of the ebay guy was "auto-super​man"... honest, good communication, and fast shipping.. can't beat it!

107123210 12-07-2013 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Koenig1 (Post 5867903)
Believe it or not, I purchased a set of 4 from Hong Kong.....! About $75.00! They are identical to the MB ones, fit my GLK with running brds perfectly, and easy to install! Winter driving up here eats your paint, and these deter some of the sh/t! Name of the ebay guy was "auto-super​man"... honest, good communication, and fast shipping.. can't beat it!

I see you have a 2011. Problem is that the 2013/4 needs a different design. I had checked ebay and the only ones I found were discounted OE and they still cost US$170.00 +$44 shipping plus $44 customs charges!

The Chinese ones are for up to 2012. Some say 2013, but I doubt they are right seeing the design changed.

If I could find flaps from China, I would likely go for them!

Koenig1 12-07-2013 10:24 PM

You're right.... my bad on the year... good luck!

emtskibum 12-07-2013 10:56 PM

I had Rally Armour mud flaps on my 2009 Forester which is what i upgraded to my 14 GLK250 from. I really like the look, and function of them. Rally Armour makes a universal kit, which you can cut to fit. I have been thinking about trying them out. They are about $150 for the kit.

Rascally Wabbit 12-08-2013 12:01 AM

Weather Tech will likely have something available if they do not already. Good products & especially like the cargo mat which is available in other colours than MB black.

xcowdoc 12-08-2013 08:08 AM

I put on the MB factory mudflaps on my 2014 GLK. They are are so simple to put on that they do not come with directions. The only downside is that you need to take each wheel off. I just used the jack that came with the car. Even taking the wheels off, it only took me an hour and a half. They fit perfectly. They have holes that line up with those already in the fender and have many points of attachment so that the fit is perfect and very solid. Only a little drilling needed.

rshew 12-09-2013 08:07 PM

The mud flaps on eBay from Hong Kong are good quality. I've only seen mud flaps (from eBay Hong Kong) made for GLK with running boards though.

PBenz32 12-10-2013 03:23 PM

Mud Flaps on new vehicle order

Hi Guys,
I ordered a new 2014 GLK250 BT on Nov 9, 2013 with a built date of 1st decade January 2014. I hope by then the adbluetec problem is resolved. However, here is my question, before I ordered my car I used the built my car option online on MB's website, and included MudFlaps at a price of $85.
That is all it said online MudFlaps $85. My sales man did not put it on the order, because he said it is an accessory and is being put on by the dealer. I happen to be at the dealer today and stopped by at the parts desk to ask what the price for the MudFlaps is, and I was told that the front set is $85 and the rear set is $85, making the whole set $170, plus installation cost.
I am puzzled now what MB on their website is selling on a new car, a set of 2 or a set of all 4? Unfortunately, my sales man left the dealership and the new guy has no clue whatsoever. I just like to get some opinions before I go back to the dealer to discuss this issue.
Thanks for reply

107123210 12-10-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by PBenz32 (Post 5870726)
Hi Guys,
I ordered a new 2014 GLK250 BT on Nov 9, 2013 with a built date of 1st decade January 2014. I hope by then the adbluetec problem is resolved. However, here is my question, before I ordered my car I used the built my car option online on MB's website, and included MudFlaps at a price of $85.
That is all it said online MudFlaps $85. My sales man did not put it on the order, because he said it is an accessory and is being put on by the dealer. I happen to be at the dealer today and stopped by at the parts desk to ask what the price for the MudFlaps is, and I was told that the front set is $85 and the rear set is $85, making the whole set $170, plus installation cost.
I am puzzled now what MB on their website is selling on a new car, a set of 2 or a set of all 4? Unfortunately, my sales man left the dealership and the new guy has no clue whatsoever. I just like to get some opinions before I go back to the dealer to discuss this issue.
Thanks for reply

I never saw them amongst options when I ordered here in Canada. Price here at dealer is about $183.00 plus 1 hour installation - Total about $300! Bit rich for me. I am hoping the Chinese copies will soon include the 2013/4 models - they don't at present. Installation is no big deal, but dealer would hav eto put car on hoist, remove wheels, install flaps (easy) and then reinstall wheels. i hour seems about right. But it is an easy DIY job, if you are so inclined.

rshew 12-10-2013 04:04 PM

Yes, that is the correct pricing. Original equipment mud flaps are about $85 for front pair only and $85 for rear pair only.

mike-nc 12-11-2013 08:46 AM

After I negotiated my OTD price, I balked a bit and asked if I could get 4 mudflaps installed to seal the deal. Dealer said Ok, but they installed the first gen flaps and had to be changed out with the correct 2nd gen flaps.

The first gen flaps do not fit the body properly, especially on the rear. Kept getting loose when going through the car wash.

Dealer handled it great. Acknowledged the wrong flaps, ordered new ones, provided loaner for install. I just had two service dept. visits and mileage to/from dealer.

Don't pay too much for the install from the dealer, but make sure you get the correct ones whether they are OEM or aftermarket.

Rascally Wabbit 12-13-2013 06:43 PM

@mike-nc, you run the GLK through a car wash? I am really disappointed! The local dealership is not allowed to wash ours.

107123210 12-13-2013 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit (Post 5874392)
@mike-nc, you run the GLK through a car wash?

Manual says not to go through a touchless car wash. But I guess OK to go through one with the rotating brushes ? Tahoe I owned had opposite rules!

mike-nc 12-14-2013 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit (Post 5874392)
@mike-nc, you run the GLK through a car wash? I am really disappointed! The local dealership is not allowed to wash ours.

Yes, I use the Hanna wash. I've used it for years and had no problems. I see MB, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc vehicles in there all the time. It just comes down to time and weather. For $13 and an average of 20-25 minutes, it just can't be beat.

We've had so much rain lately, my GLK is disgusting. It's the dirtiest it's ever been and it's raining all day today!

rmeier1 12-14-2013 09:42 AM

I had the dealership install the splash guards on my 2014 BlueTec. After spending over
$42,000 for the car I figured another $300 was beneath chump change. I'm "thrifty"
by nature and like to do my own maintenance. But when buying a car this expensive,
where the option packages are in the thousands what's the big deal with saving a
hundred bucks?

TTRSh 12-18-2013 08:19 PM

Can anyone post pics of the 2nd gen mud flaps that fit the 2014 GLK with AMG styling package? Without running boards? Thanks in advance...

mike-nc 12-19-2013 06:54 AM

I don't think these are available from MB for the AMG package. I would be surprised if they are available aftermarket either.

Adam H 11-24-2018 09:32 AM

How can I tell if I have the "GLK Package"?
Purchased a CPO 2015 GLK 350 4Matic in the fall and want to install Mud Flaps.
Want to make sure I get the right kind.

Rascally Wabbit 11-24-2018 06:54 PM

Not certain what you are talking about, referring to the "GLK Package". Depending on year there was an Appearance Package & an AMG trim package but dunno about a GLK package.

Adam H 11-25-2018 09:00 AM

Apologies. Should have said AMG package.
I’m pretty sure I have the appearance package, but not certain of the entire package.
Is there a way to figure out what’s installed by VIN number?

Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit (Post 7612120)
Not certain what you are talking about, referring to the "GLK Package". Depending on year there was an Appearance Package & an AMG trim package but dunno about a GLK package.