MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Where do you put your stuff? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/527865-where-do-you-put-your-stuff.html)

107123210 01-17-2014 11:15 AM

Where do you put your stuff?

We have hardly used our GLK250 since we got it 6 weeks ago. Just getting ready for a long road trip, so was looking at where we will put our luggage, spare wheel, safety kit etc. All that should fit in back OK.

But how about small things. Loose change for tolls, sunglasses, cell phone, chargers/adapters, etc. Where do you put those?

Maybe we were spoiled by our 98 e-class. It had a usable glove compartment (GLK only good for owners manual), it had a large DIN opening below radio (probably intended for old days type car phone), a large ashtray opening (we don't smoke) plus two levels of storage under armrest. This despite most of center console taken up by shifter. Admittedly, only one drink holder on console, but glove box lid fills in for second.

The Command and dash area below that on the GLK seems to take up a lot of space, is dimly lit and on our minimally equipped car, doesn't seem to be needed much. Maybe next model will be better!

Is there an accessory case that fits under front seats?

fcch 01-17-2014 01:14 PM

It always takes me a while in a new vehicule to get this all comfy too.
Nothing really fits in the glove box, except maybe a pair of gloves.

- Spare change goes in the ash tray.
- The cell phone is in the glove box. (it's connected and sync'ed so it gets stowed)
- The sat phone is in the center console.
- 12v. chargers are also in the center console.
- Sunglasses are clipped to the visors.
- Extra washer fluid and fuel additive is behind the driver seat.
- Kleenex box (small) is in the mesh thingy in the passenger side foot well.
- WetWipes are in the glove box (small pack).
- The cup holders are already used for coffee cups.
- Trash goes into the passenger side door pocket.

At least we don't have to have CD's anymore in the car :)

The luggage on road trips fits in the back, but I usually have to fold down the rear seats to get more than 2 suitcases in.

The OEM first aid kit is in the left rear mesh thingy and the real first aid kit is behind the front passenger seat on the floor.

I'm not a fan of putting stuff under the front seats. I believe one of the convenience options has a storage bin under the driver's seat.

Bikes go on a rear receiver Hitch rack.

When I Guide for flyfishing, the big Baja bags along with tents, and folding chairs go into a cargo cage on the roof.

Have a nice road trip. ... Drive safe !

107123210 01-17-2014 11:25 PM

Thanks fcch - sounds like a plan for the small stuff. We too have a hitch bike rack and we need space for 2sets of golf clubs And all our gear for a couple of months away. We used to get it in eclass, so should be okay.

fcch 01-20-2014 08:18 AM

The stuff on the roof is a pain, so I only do that when I'm loaded for bear.

Since it's a long "get there" trip. Maybe you could do better with a small utility trailer.

have a good trip. Walk around in the sun for me a bit ... It's going back to -28 Celsius tonight here.

bop11 01-20-2014 10:13 AM

Put the manual in either the back of the seat pockets or in the rear area. No need to have that big book taking up the glove box.

fcch 01-20-2014 10:40 AM

My manual is in the rear under the cargo cover. My records etc for the car are at home, so the manual really only stays there so I don't lose it.

The pdf version is loaded onto my tablet anyway.

107123210 01-20-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by fcch (Post 5913740)
My manual is in the rear under the cargo cover. My records etc for the car are at home, so the manual really only stays there so I don't lose it.

The pdf version is loaded onto my tablet anyway.

With this car so new to us, we NEED access to the manual! I have the pdf version of owners manual, so if I haven't already done that, will put it on tablet.

But I don't have a pdf for the Audio 20 sound system (aka, the basic radio!) But to be honest, haven't searched for it either.

Maybe I will leave manual in glove box. It isn't that useful for much else anyway.

FCCH - Are you driving with no spare? We have a Vredestein compact tucked in a bag behind the driver side seat. I may in future make a bracket for our bike rack to mount the spare.

fcch 01-20-2014 03:48 PM

I had found the PDF for Audio 20 (the standard radio) @:
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...13_B_small.pdf

Nope ... no spare for me :eek:

I drive near 80,000 km per year. Never had a flat (so far) that the compressor and goop wouldn't be able to fix (nails, etc) ... haven't used the MB kit yet on the GLK, but had ones in other cars that worked fine. Never used it though at -20 degress, ... that would be interesting to see if it works.

Then again, I do have a cell phone and a satellite phone with me in the car, so CAA or Roadside assistance could be reached. Some sort of spare tire does give you a lot of peace of mind. My company pickups have THREE spares, ... and yes, I've had 2 or more flats in one day (logging roads).

JohnMichael 01-22-2014 02:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 107123210 (Post 5910903)
We have hardly used our GLK250 since we got it 6 weeks ago. Just getting ready for a long road trip, so was looking at where we will put our luggage, spare wheel, safety kit etc. All that should fit in back OK.

But how about small things. Loose change for tolls, sunglasses, cell phone, chargers/adapters, etc. Where do you put those?

Maybe we were spoiled by our 98 e-class. It had a usable glove compartment (GLK only good for owners manual), it had a large DIN opening below radio (probably intended for old days type car phone), a large ashtray opening (we don't smoke) plus two levels of storage under armrest. This despite most of center console taken up by shifter. Admittedly, only one drink holder on console, but glove box lid fills in for second.

The Command and dash area below that on the GLK seems to take up a lot of space, is dimly lit and on our minimally equipped car, doesn't seem to be needed much. Maybe next model will be better!

Is there an accessory case that fits under front seats?

Yes there are cases for under each seat - easy to install

BigBoeing 01-22-2014 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by fcch (Post 5914150)
I had found the PDF for Audio 20 (the standard radio) @:
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...13_B_small.pdf

Nope ... no spare for me :eek:

I drive near 80,000 km per year. Never had a flat (so far) that the compressor and goop wouldn't be able to fix (nails, etc) ... haven't used the MB kit yet on the GLK, but had ones in other cars that worked fine. Never used it though at -20 degress, ... that would be interesting to see if it works.

Then again, I do have a cell phone and a satellite phone with me in the car, so CAA or Roadside assistance could be reached. Some sort of spare tire does give you a lot of peace of mind. My company pickups have THREE spares, ... and yes, I've had 2 or more flats in one day (logging roads).

I'm with you. Despite all my driving during the preceding dozen years I've had exactly ONE flat...in my driveway. I'm willing to accept that risk...and use my AAA card if need be. I'm always in-range of cell phone towers, and thus only a call away. If I lived in a truly rural area I might view this differently. But I don't.

Best Regards,
Jim

3k339A2lary 01-22-2014 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JohnMichael (Post 5916046)
Yes there are cases for under each seat - easy to install

Is there a part number for that? My wife has it in her E350. Thanks!

107123210 01-22-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by AsianN02 (Post 5916987)
Is there a part number for that? My wife has it in her E350. Thanks!

And does it fit the later 2013/4 models. And how much? Could be useful - thanks for the pic JM.

fcch 01-23-2014 08:43 AM

Is that the same storage one would get in the MCO convenience package (item #932) ?

MBKLUE 01-24-2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 107123210 (Post 5917038)
And does it fit the later 2013/4 models. And how much? Could be useful - thanks for the pic JM.

Was at the M-B dealership today in Germany. They looked up the under seat storage bins for me for the GLK. 265 Euros each (approx. $350 USD including 19% sales tax). Different part number for left and right side and only for cars with "Memory Seats." Won't fit on manually adjustable seats because of the levers to move the seat. Available in black, beige and gray.

Would be interested to know what they cost at M-B USA if available.

There is also a fire extinguisher kit that can be mounted there IF you do not have the storage bin. 300 Euros for that! - approx. $400 USD

JohnMichael 01-25-2014 03:29 AM

Bought the from this website ,http://www.oediscountparts.com/parts...iagram=5900385 theY are about $300 for a pair. Easy to install holes Are already drilled in the rails so I just bought some sheet metal screws and screrwed the cabinets into the rail HOLES. WAS PROBABLY A RIVIT INSTALLATION FROM FACTORY ORIGINALLY

MBKLUE 01-25-2014 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMichael (Post 5919474)
Bought the from this website ,http://www.oediscountparts.com/parts...iagram=5900385 theY are about $300 for a pair. Easy to install holes Are already drilled in the rails so I just bought some sheet metal screws and screrwed the cabinets into the rail HOLES. WAS PROBABLY A RIVIT INSTALLATION FROM FACTORY ORIGINALLY

Thanks John. I like that price a lot better!

3k339A2lary 01-25-2014 11:03 AM

Ahhh...thanks for the find sir! :)

Bob338 01-25-2014 11:38 AM

You just cost me some money! Thanks, great find!

107123210 01-25-2014 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by MBKLUE (Post 5919501)
Thanks John. I like that price a lot better!

It is a lot better.

Part 9 says "storage compart W/O MEMORY, black Left" Does that mean it only works for cars without memory seats? (Switch on bottom of seat instead of door)

ble2716 01-25-2014 05:26 PM

After click on that link, scroll down to [9] and click on "storage compart" then it'll bring up another 2 pages regarding items with and without memory.
Hope it helps.

Bob338 01-25-2014 06:00 PM

The beauty of this is you can only get one or the other. I ordered the memory one for just the driver's seat. I have them in my E350 and no passenger, even on trips, has ever used it. I used the driver's side all the time. That option was not available when I ordered mine a year ago, but one side is cheaper than having to get both as a factory installed option.

107123210 01-25-2014 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ble2716 (Post 5919949)
After click on that link, scroll down to [9] and click on "storage compart" then it'll bring up another 2 pages regarding items with and without memory.
Hope it helps.

Ok - I never thought of trying that! But, in any case, I don't have memory seats and this confirms storage boxes are available for with or w/o memory seats.

I asked wife what she thought about under seat storage. She figured we just needed an extra shopping bag that would fit under our feet (at least on passenger side). sometimes you can't win.

That site also has mud flaps. But they say they are for 2010 and up, but we know that 2013/4 are different. Price was $60/set so $120 for all 4? Seems OK (but not as good as Chinese copies!)