GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Fuse replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk250
Post Fuse replacement

I have a new GLK 250 Bluetec 2014, and the lighter socket stopped working. Manual shows 3 locations for fuses. Don't bother opening the left side dashboard cover. Not easy and quite empty. There are two fuse boxes. One under the hood, and one in the rear compartment. I found the fuse chart on a piece of paper close to the jack. Chart indicates that the lighter fuse is number 71 in the rear compartment. Pulled it out (15A), and it was blown. Quick visit to the store and replacement, and it is working again.

Thought some might find this info useful.
The following users liked this post:
ryan83 (01-31-2023)
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by gi1mo2
I have a new GLK 250 Bluetec 2014, and the lighter socket stopped working. Manual shows 3 locations for fuses. Don't bother opening the left side dashboard cover. Not easy and quite empty. There are two fuse boxes. One under the hood, and one in the rear compartment. I found the fuse chart on a piece of paper close to the jack. Chart indicates that the lighter fuse is number 71 in the rear compartment. Pulled it out (15A), and it was blown. Quick visit to the store and replacement, and it is working again.

Thanks for your post. We have same car.

I asked about fuses once before because I wanted to buy some spares. Only answers I got were from guys who obviously had not even found their fuse boxes Si I do appreciate knowing I shouldn't pry of the dash panel.

I did open the front fuse box to check the type and sizes of fuses used. I then bought a kit with a selection of sizes for our emergency roadside kit. I want to get some spare bulbs too, but haven't done that yet. By the way, in Europe in many countries they require all vehicles to carry a roadside kit that includes spare fuses and bulbs, amongst other things. In UK, they sell fuse/bulb kits for that purpose.

Regarding your blown fuse - it takes a lot to blow a 15A fuse. Do you know what caused it? Did it short out or did some device blow fuse?

Reason I ask, is that devices like even small DC-AC inverters can easily draw more than 15A. Rule is something like 10Amp DC draw for 1A A/C load.

I recall having to run a separate fused cable on one old MB in order to run a laptop in car.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM

glk250
The only thing I plugged in was a charger for my cell phone. I also did plug a cable for a GPS. I don't know if plugging and unplugging often or while power up or down the system (ignition...) had any effect. It could have been a faulty fuse (Quality control? I already had to have them replace the luggage cover because of a manufacture defect). I'll keep you posted if it happens again.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
The only thing I plugged in was a charger for my cell phone. I also did plug a cable for a GPS. I don't know if plugging and unplugging often or while power up or down the system (ignition...) had any effect. It could have been a faulty fuse (Quality control? I already had to have them replace the luggage cover because of a manufacture defect). I'll keep you posted if it happens again.
I guess it could have shorted somehow. Being vertical, it is easy for something conductive to fall in there. Must remember to put lighter back in when not using outlet.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 MB GLK 250 BlueTEC, 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe
Thank u!

Thanks for sharing!

I did the same thing, popped open both side panels in the dash and found nothing. Called the dealer and they didn't know either. Go figure.

Guess they went down to 2 fuse boxes in the glk250 and didn't bother to update the owner'a manual.

I digress, I'm trying to install a dash cam in the car and I was going to use one of these fuse taps (http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Fuses-battery-Accessories/10A-ATM-Dual-Fuse-Tap/8311003.p) to splice power from some non essential fuse - like the light in the glove compartment or something.

I don't have the car with me now, but I was wondering if anyone knows what type of fuse the car has? Is it the ATM mini-fuse? Or the bigger ATO fuse?

Thanks!

-Rick

Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350

I also had this same issue, I have located the fuse compartment in the rear of the vehicle. My question is, how do you open the yellow plastic piece that blocks the bottom of the fuses. I see the blue (15 A) fuse located in slot #71. Just can't access it.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:09 PM

2006 clk 350 cabriolet and 2014 ml350 bluetec
hi all, anybody has a fuse chart for 2014 ml350 bluetec
Old 05-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
You must be careful about taping into lines. Many of the devices, even the lamps are powered through the computer. Unlike the cars of old where the power went from a fuse to a switch, then to device like a light which was connected to ground, the power may come out of the computer I/O and not be directly connected to the switch. Or the ground may go through the I/O. For example, to install a radar detector at the top of the windshield, you can't tap into a line in the box that has the lights in the ceiling. You will have to bring a pair of wires up from the power socket in the back of the glove box, up the A pillar and across the top of the windscreen.
Just a note to be careful, as a high draw on one of the computer outputs may put you out of business.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by rainan
hi all, anybody has a fuse chart for 2014 ml350 bluetec
My 2013 had the car's fuse chart in the rear compartment where the jack is kept.