MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Mirror Problem - urgent (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/529149-mirror-problem-urgent.html)

107123210 01-28-2014 06:17 PM

Mirror Problem - urgent

We have GLK250 packed & ready for long road trip. But noticed a problem with the passenger side mirror.

Mirrors fold in on both sides as they should. However, when mirrors are opened, the passenger side goes way forward and faces outward instead of back, while the driver side works as it should.

Has anyone experienced this and know if there is an easy fix? No time to go to dealer before we leave.

jiwengang 01-28-2014 07:46 PM

By Design they can go outward or forward. So can you manually adjust it to correct position?

107123210 01-28-2014 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jiwengang (Post 5923109)
By Design they can go outward or forward. So can you manually adjust it to correct position?

From what I have read, the electric folding mirrors may only be fitted in Canada.

To answer your question. When the mirrors are unfolded, the drivers side folds out and stops at the proper position but the passenger side keeps going and ends up facing outwards away from car.

It can be manually pushed back to where it should be. There is a click as it is pushed out of its wide open position. But there is nothing to hold it in the new position - I am sure wind and vibration would cause it to move. Maybe I could duck tape in position? On a brand new (under 600km) Mercedes!

I did a search and found that this has been a problem since 2008, maybe earlier on other models of MB. Maybe that is why MBUSA didn't get them on GLk?

The manual gives a method of resetting the mirrors by holding fold button down for a short while after folding, but that did not work. I heard the clicks and bang they mentioned, but it did not solve problem.

Cwdawson 01-28-2014 10:57 PM

If resetting it did not help it sounds like a service may be needed... Since you are going on a trip and this would be pretty annoying (To me anyways) I would turn off the feature and deal with it when you get back. I turned ours off for the extreme cold so as not to damage them and turned them back on upon returning to the warmer weather...

fcch 01-29-2014 07:45 AM

Does sound like you'll need a visit to the dealer.

I also turned off the feature for the winter. When they would unfold in the morning, there would be a lot of crunching and grinding because the blowing snow over night would be binding somewhere in the joint.

Sorry to hear about this ... DO have a good trip.

107123210 01-29-2014 08:12 AM

I am operating the mirrors manually, so don't know what I could turn off. All I need is for the passenger side mirror to stay in the proper position. I am going to stop at dealer on way out in a few minutes. May just be frozen or maybe something broke he says.

ble2716 01-29-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 107123210 (Post 5923600)
I am operating the mirrors manually, so don't know what I could turn off. All I need is for the passenger side mirror to stay in the proper position. I am going to stop at dealer on way out in a few minutes. May just be frozen or maybe something broke he says.

You could disable the mirrors from opening and closing every time your lock or unlock the car. I am pretty sure it's in the manual somewhere.

Anyway, on your steering wheel, push left or right arrow>settings>convenience>down arrow>"Fold Mirrors in when locking">change it to "disabled".

This will allow you manually adjust your mirrors until you see the dealer.

107123210 01-30-2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ble2716 (Post 5924210)
You could disable the mirrors from opening and closing every time your lock or unlock the car. I am pretty sure it's in the manual somewhere.

Anyway, on your steering wheel, push left or right arrow>settings>convenience>down arrow>"Fold Mirrors in when locking">change it to "disabled".

This will allow you manually adjust your mirrors until you see the dealer.

I never did have the mirrors set to close when I locked car.

On way out of town, I stopped at dealer. They checked mirror, hooked car to Star and confirmed that there is a problem somewhere in electronics. Apparently one of two things, each of which would cost over $1000! Under warranty of course. THey did set mirror in a fixed position and we have made it safely so far to Carolinas. May just leave it until we get back in April.

Car ran well on way down. Mileage not as good as it might be Also had engine almost cut out.a few times after washing car.

Pastor Blidberg 01-31-2014 10:14 AM

I had this on my Car yeesterday, only on drivers side, it was approx. - 4 degr. Celcius and snowing, and i had washed my Car 2 hours earlier. I did move it out an in several times using the pushbutton on the doorpanel, and then it suddenly worked ok again. I guess it's a sensor for the working position that had got icecovered, or it need to bee properly adjusted reg. distanse to it's receiver, so it wont be so tender.