GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Just bought a 2015 GLK 350! Need advice changing headlights!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
... 5000K is more luxurious, while 6000K is more sporty...
Now I want to say I've "heard" it all - but I probably haven't....
Old 12-05-2015, 12:13 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
Now I want to say I've "heard" it all - but I probably haven't....
That's the general descriptive feedback we've received. I guess not really much different than saying the big star in the grille is more sporty and the stand up hood star is more luxurious, as even MB characterizes it that way.

I will say vast majority of our customer prefer the clean elegance of 5000K. The Morimoto 6000K is nowhere near ricer blue. It's more ice white..... looks white up close, but takes on a very slightly bluish hue from a distance.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
Beware. In order for a car to be legal with HID's they are required to have a leveling sensor to keep from blinding oncoming traffic (at least it was in Europe) when you have an extra load on board. Also be aware that the light source of an hid bulb is very different than a filament bulb. The hid is a glowing ball of plasma gas, a filament halogen bulb has a highly defined demarcation from the bright filament to dark. Bottom line is that to really work properly. Each bulb type has it own reflector/lens designed for that particular bulb type. To properly go to an hid and be legal. You would need to change the whole light assy to an OEM HID.

To the OP I do feel your pain. But please be mindful of other drivers. Most people that do these technically illegal swaps don't get in trouble. But it can happen, Especially if there are tons of complaints about some *** hat in a MB SUV blinding every one. Here is a good technical write up about conversion kits. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by super7pilot; 12-07-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by super7pilot
Beware. In order for a car to be legal with HID's they are required to have a leveling sensor to keep from blinding oncoming traffic when you have an extra load on board. Also be aware that the light source of an hid bulb is very different than a filament bulb. The hid is a glowing ball of plasma gas, a filament halogen bulb has a highly defined demarcation from the bright filament. Bottom line is that to really work properly. Each bulb type has it own reflector/lens designed for that particular bulb type. To properly go to an hid and be legal. You would need to change the whole light assy. And install level sensors on your rear suspension.
Actually. I don't think this is entirely true. I think the lighting assembly need to be adjustable. It also needs to be installed at the factory, not aftermarket. I had a Mazda a few years ago with factory HIDs. It wasn't auto leveling. There was a switch that allowed you to manually adjust the level depending on the load of the car.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mogulman
Actually. I don't think this is entirely true. I think the lighting assembly need to be adjustable. It also needs to be installed at the factory, not aftermarket. I had a Mazda a few years ago with factory HIDs. It wasn't auto leveling. There was a switch that allowed you to manually adjust the level depending on the load of the car.
Yes. I corrected my post to say that was how it was when I lived in Germany. But yet. My wife's US spec 2008 BMW 328I had level sensors. As did my US spec 2006 BMW zed 4. If one went through a dip in the road you could see the lights adjusting them selves. If it's not a requirement in the US it really should be. I get regularly blinded by even halogen lights as well as super blinded by idiots out there that haven't a clue about having their lights adjusted every now and then. Then you have the issue with the HID kits that give the HID kit owner better vision (by freaking scattering light all over the place) That is why an HID light needs to be designed and tested from the very start as an HID light. It's explained far better in the link I provided. But if you want to be entertained one should ask any HID kit reseller if their kits have a DOT approval number on them.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:40 AM

yes
Not sure if it was required outside of the U.S. but I'm pretty sure AUTOMATIC leveling of HIDs was (still is??) mandatory in the U.S.

I also know that many European versions of cars had manual, electric adjustment of headlight level with Halogen bulbs (maybe HID too?). Typically it was a knob/rotary switch near the headlamp switch that allowed adjustment from 0 to 3, or something like that. Each increase in number pointed the headlamps downward to a greater degree to compensate for increased load in the rear (back seat passengers, heavy trunk load, towing a trailer etc.).
Old 12-07-2015, 02:46 AM

yes
I'll be the first to say that no aftermarket HID kit is DOT approved. That said, it's pretty much the same for 90% of the other bolt ons we mod our cars with as well....
Most of those mods. do not have direct and obvious possible consequences for other road users.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

I'll be the first to say that no aftermarket HID kit is DOT approved. That said, it's pretty much the same for 90% of the other bolt ons we mod our cars with as well. Throwing HID kits on reflectors isn't a great idea, but throwing them behind good quality retrofitted projectors with proper leveling, and you'll be fine, and a heck of a lot better than halogens. Most xenon package vehicles on the road don't have adaptive headlights, but do have manual level controls to fine tune the beam.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:54 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Not sure if it was required outside of the U.S. but I'm pretty sure AUTOMATIC leveling of HIDs was (still is??) mandatory in the U.S.

I also know that many European versions of cars had manual, electric adjustment of headlight level with Halogen bulbs (maybe HID too?). Typically it was a knob/rotary switch near the headlamp switch that allowed adjustment from 0 to 3, or something like that. Each increase in number pointed the headlamps downward to a greater degree to compensate for increased load in the rear (back seat passengers, heavy trunk load, towing a trailer etc.).

Most have a torx screw leveling outside the actual headlamp assembly from the vehicles we've worked on. Depends on make/model though. It is definitely a cost saving factor for the manufacturers to not include electronic or intelligent adaptive, especially on lower end.

And headlight leveling is not required in the US, btw. US is one of the few countries that does not abide by Internationalised ECE Regulation 48.

Last edited by AZN Optics; 12-07-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:58 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Most of those mods. do not have direct and obvious possible consequences for other road users.
Could argue catastrophic failure in say an ECU tune, brakes, sprint booster, suspension, etc would have definite consequences to immediate vicinity drivers....
Old 12-07-2015, 03:17 AM

yes
Could argue catastrophic failure in say an ECU tune, brakes, sprint booster, suspension, etc would have definite consequences to immediate vicinity drivers....
Agreed. Just like leaving your perfectly aligned, factory installed headlights on high beam at night. Unlike some of the areas you mention, "dazzling" headlights are easily identified and should be dealt with.

Are you saying that one more "wrong" or one more danger is okay because there are already so many?
Old 12-07-2015, 03:39 AM

Thank you for being honest about that AZN.

Unfortunately. Many modders out there are more concerned with "looking" cool with bluish very bright headlamps that dazzle oncoming traffic. But I would also point out that even projector lenses do have differences between the Halogen and HID versions simply because of the shape of the light source. I.E. A halogen bulb is brighter at it's center and is straight and a Xenon is brightest at it's ends and has a crescent shape. The two are not compatible in broadcasting a well controlled beam. It's like putting on your near sighted friends glasses and your far sighted. but at least the projectors shield does limit the amount of dazzle for other drivers.

Last edited by super7pilot; 12-07-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:50 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Agreed. Just like leaving your perfectly aligned, factory installed headlights on high beam at night. Unlike some of the areas you mention, "dazzling" headlights are easily identified and should be dealt with.

Are you saying that one more "wrong" or one more danger is okay because there are already so many?
No of course not, but not fair to single out improper HID conversion as a reason to make HID taboo. Doing a conversion into straight reflectors is obviously bad. As mentioned, if properly retrofitted, HID conversion kits are fine. Even the Daniel Stern article concedes that point (who by the way is a halogen light salesman). I'd say most who put HIDs into halogen projectors when doing a conversion understand it's not the best lighting available, but properly aimed, will not be detrimental to others, and a lot cheaper than a true retrofit and higher aesthetics value.

An analogy would be people replacing standard metal brake pads with ceramic or semi-metallic.... On technical paper, you lose stopping power, but in practical matters, it's still good enough stopping power for everyday driving with the added benefit of less brake dust.... Tradeoffs on what's more important to you.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK250
I had MTEC Hid conversion kit on my previous ML from ebay and it wasn't too bad. It was easy to install with no error message and comparing to my other ML and current GLK w/factory installed HID lightings, in terms of lighting patterns and brightness, actually I couldn't see that much difference. I spent a lot of time to make sure it's aimed properly so it wouldn't bother others but I remember the cut-off line was quite clean. Maybe the reflector housing on ML was pretty good but not quite sure about GLK.

Last edited by chrissk; 12-09-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk350
HID headlights GLK350

I just changed the headlights out on my 2010 GLK 350.
Found a local place with the HID headlights in stock and they did the install for me. They were pretty proud of how it looked after the install but I told them that because of the Hallogen running lights being on next to them that I didn't care for it muchl. When I say running lights, I mean the bulb that is right next to the high beam bulb inside of the headlamp assemble. So, they worked two hours trying to replace this running light and finally gave up. Couldn't do it. They said it looked like you would have to remove the bumper. So with the "no errors" bulbs that I bought from the internet I went to the Mercedes Dealership to have them installed. In order to replace these bulbs you have to pull off the front wheels! Cost me $190.00 for labor but they do look amazing. They are a white led but look bluish and accent the HID headlights. Even the Mercedes mechanics loved them. Only problem now I see is that my headlights are on all the time when the motor is running. Not sure how to fix that. This sure was a lot more work than I imagined.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Shouldn't have to pull off the wheels to gain access. I can see how it might be faster if on a lift, but should be able to turn the wheels and just go at it one side at a time. And yeah, I agree that upgrading the HIDs is just step one... it really exposes just how bad the parking light color and output really is so should also replace those 194 wedge bulbs.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:39 PM

yes
... it really exposes just how bad the parking light color and output really is...
Here we go again....

I now have to say I'm really disappointed in M-B for building and marketing these unattractive death-traps.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:16 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Here we go again....

I now have to say I'm really disappointed in M-B for building and marketing these unattractive death-traps.
Did I say something wrong or offend you somehow? What's with the animosity?

Just saying if he's already upgraded the stock halogen lights to whiter output HIDs, the contrast between oem halogen parking yellowish light is very glaring and does not match. The poster I was replying to said as much himself if you read what he posted. And yes, our 194 wedge LEDs have higher lumen than standard wedge units so it is an upgrade in terms of the aesthetic and performance appeal. It's an easy and cheaper upgrade for those who did not get the upgraded lighting pack.

Or are you just against upgrades in general?
Old 12-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2014 Smart ED
HID's on non projector headlights are DANGEROUS and SELFISH (and depending on where you live, not road legal)! The headlight housing is not designed for them, they do not provide the proper cutt-offs. Yes YOU get to see better, but you're the giant asshat who ends up blinding everyone else.

Don't be that asshat.

Last edited by shakygrouch; 12-16-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
I have a 2013 glk, my lights don't have the round projectors inside the housing. I talked to someone that does a lot of retrofits in Chicago , he said I will just end up blinding oncoming traffic with HID retrofits. I'm going the Led fog light route. Also I've read of different issues that can arrise from changing bulbs, computer issues and melted harnesses. You have to be careful what you do with the stock lights. It's just not simple like the light salesman say. With an added set of fog lights I bypass electric- computer and housing heat issues. Ruin a housing or computer and no warranty will cover you. And those are expensive items. Maybe a bulb that's 10% brighter would be ok, but with more light is more heat. I'm wondering if the Led bulbs are any good. I've used Sylvania Silverstars for years, no more, they only last a year or two. What I've read is the brighter halogens all have reduced life due to thinner metals running hotter and brighter. Yes the best is a whole new housing and electronics, I could guess 3-4000. Or a top quality led fog light set for 3-500. The easiest is add on fog lights for many reasons
Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Here is a scale showing the color spectrum as it relates to Kelvins.

Anything above 5000K starts the Blue color. This is a fact.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Kelvin I know well, I do a lot of pro photography, I need more Lumen, like 2000 - 3000 more from fog lights, I really need it low to see pot holes in the pot hole Capitol , Chicago. Here they can be craters. The main lights, I might try different bulbs. But I've had bad luck before.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK250
Originally Posted by Klay88
How reputable is that company, and would it just he replacement bulbs or the actual hid kit? If just the bulb, what would be comparable to 6000k? Thanks for your post @greasykid
Candlepower.com is a reputable site that sells quality merchandise and provides actual technical information that stands up to engineering scrutiny.

HID kits, especially cheap ones, cannot be retrofitted successfully to reflector-based housings because the HID source does not emit light with the same pattern as a halogen filament. You end up with scattered light that looks bright but actually makes it harder to see down the road.

As for "6000K" "5000K" etc, this number as absolutely nothing to do with the amount of light a bulb emits. "K" is a reference to color temperature - the higher the number, the more blue or purple the light. Some people think this looks cool. Maybe it does, but it actually hurts your ability to see at night, especially in the rain. Blue light is scattered by water, moreso than the yellow end of the spectrum. While not as trendy, a bulb that outputs in the normal halogen 3000-3200K range will provide better overall visibility. Google the phrase "human eye sensitivity blue green yellow" to find great articles. This photo shows how fast our ability to see diminishes as you go further up the "K" scale on the left of the graph.

So avoid trendy, try not to be cool and instead, put your money on something that's going to help you see: more lumens in the right place, in the right color temperature range.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Originally Posted by tigerdog
Candlepower.com is a reputable site that sells quality merchandise and provides actual technical information that stands up to engineering scrutiny.

HID kits, especially cheap ones, cannot be retrofitted successfully to reflector-based housings because the HID source does not emit light with the same pattern as a halogen filament. You end up with scattered light that looks bright but actually makes it harder to see down the road.

As for "6000K" "5000K" etc, this number as absolutely nothing to do with the amount of light a bulb emits. "K" is a reference to color temperature - the higher the number, the more blue or purple the light. Some people think this looks cool. Maybe it does, but it actually hurts your ability to see at night, especially in the rain. Blue light is scattered by water, moreso than the yellow end of the spectrum. While not as trendy, a bulb that outputs in the normal halogen 3000-3200K range will provide better overall visibility. Google the phrase "human eye sensitivity blue green yellow" to find great articles. This photo shows how fast our ability to see diminishes as you go further up the "K" scale on the left of the graph.

So avoid trendy, try not to be cool and instead, put your money on something that's going to help you see: more lumens in the right place, in the right color temperature range.
This is just not true, last year I put in a Phillips 4300k HID kit, in a 2013 Glk with reflectors. The light is fantastic and I don't blind oncomming traffic. Just be sure to aim the lights all the way down and be sure the small reflector in the housing is centered. In a year nobody has flashed me as to the light being blinding. The key is adjusting the beam all the way down. The stock Glk lights were real crap.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK250
Originally Posted by Mmr1
This is just not true, last year I put in a Phillips 4300k HID kit, in a 2013 Glk with reflectors. The light is fantastic and I don't blind oncomming traffic. Just be sure to aim the lights all the way down and be sure the small reflector in the housing is centered. In a year nobody has flashed me as to the light being blinding. The key is adjusting the beam all the way down. The stock Glk lights were real crap.
Agree about the stock GLK lights. Do you have any photos of the Philips kit, prior to installation? Phillips is a reputable company with much more to lose than small shops importing OEM stuff from Asia, so it's possible they invested more in engineering a solution. I'd be interested in the design details to see how they compensated for the points I mentioned. Please share!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2015 GLK 350! Need advice changing headlights!