GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Just bought a 2015 GLK 350! Need advice changing headlights!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes GLK 350
Just bought a 2015 GLK 350! Need advice changing headlights!

Hello everybody! This is my first time really posting in a forum but I needed help and figured this was the place to come! I just bought my 2015 GLK and HATE the yellow lights that came with them so I started researching HID's for the car but there was very little information and the information I got was mixed. So I was hoping somebody could advise me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
I feel compelled to state the obvious here... you should have gotten the vehicle you wanted the way YOU wanted it-even if that meant ordering it (as opposed to buying off "the lot.)" If you did order it yourself you really should have done more research. Yes, you would think that HID lighting should come standard on an M-B. Having said that, it's easy to see that they do not when you look at the options and option packages.

I've never had good night vision and if there's one thing you can count on it won't get any better with age! So... I researched and paid the extra. To me, it's a big safety feature and some "insurance."

You will find instructions on this site to replace the standard headlights with aftermarket HIDs. I do not believe they will ever be as good as the factory option and you can also get active curve illumination etc. I'm sure some will argue with that...

Well-engineered lighting that is kept clean along with a clean, undamaged windshield and regularly changed quality windshield wipers may one day keep you from finding out the crash worthiness of your vehicle (but you'll never know that it did).
The following users liked this post:
tigerdog (12-10-2016)
Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Improving Headlights

Originally Posted by Klay88
Hello everybody! This is my first time really posting in a forum but I needed help and figured this was the place to come! I just bought my 2015 GLK and HATE the yellow lights that came with them so I started researching HID's for the car but there was very little information and the information I got was mixed. So I was hoping somebody could advise me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!
For better bulbs go to candlepower.com.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:17 PM

2015 Mercedes GLK 350
@mbkblue

Thanks for posting but to be honest with you, your post was absolutely useless and didn't answer my question one bit.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:27 PM

2015 Mercedes GLK 350
Originally Posted by greasykid
For better bulbs go to candlepower.com.
How reputable is that company, and would it just he replacement bulbs or the actual hid kit? If just the bulb, what would be comparable to 6000k? Thanks for your post @greasykid
Old 10-12-2014, 03:27 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
bulbs

Thanks for posting but to be honest with you, your post was absolutely useless and didn't answer my question one bit.
Have you tried?
Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 PM

2015 Mercedes GLK 350
Originally Posted by greasykid
Have you tried?
@greasykid thebquote your replying to wasn't mesnt for you but the other user, sorry if there was a miscommunication but I just was wondering what your personal experience was with the website you recommended, do they provide bulbs that are close to 6k bright?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
@Klay88, as to @MBKLUE's comments, the truth hurts sometimes but he is right. Buy what you want not what you find, as to upgrading or simply changing things, even with OEM is expensive on a MB.
People are messing around with light upgrades which a search here will help you locate. WWW.candlepowerinc.com can fix you up with an upgraded headlamp bulb which does help but the bulb is still halogen. I have them in ours & enjoy the better illumination.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:16 PM

GLK
Actually he gave you some good advice....
Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 PM

2015 Mercedes GLK 350
Originally Posted by trackpilot
Actually he gave you some good advice....
I would have considered it great advice if my question was I'm looking to buy a GLK soon and HID's are very important for me but my actual question was MUCH different, what he's telling me is to basically return my car and purchase the one with the lighting package even if I have to order it which obviously isn't an option as this point. All I'm focused on is trying to figure out what's the best route/specs to get afternarket HID kits installed on my car, apparently there are a lot of people who would rather tell me to get a whole new car than try to help me. Sorry if I'm coming off rude but im just keepin it real with you guys. Help me out by giving me advice I could actually use please, rather than telling me what I could/should have done.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
There's isn't really anything you can do on the stock halogen headlights (i have them too and miss my old car with HIDs).

this has come out recently

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-year-Benz-GLK260-GLK300-LED-Headlights-D2H-HID-Xenon-projector-Lens-/231324441796?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2014%7CModel%3AGLK250&hash=item35dc02dcc4&vxp=mtr
to get HID's on your car, you probably have two options

buy a used set of xenon mb headlights from ebay and try retrofitting them
or
buy the ebay headlights i posted above and buy a HID kit (from ddmtuning.com or another site)

the biggest issue is that our headlights don't have a projector so if you put an HID in there, the light will be splashed all over and probably be worse than before
Old 10-13-2014, 05:56 AM

yes
Did you miss this part? "You will find instructions on this site to replace the standard headlights with aftermarket HIDs."

But... no, I'm not going to do the research for you to find and provide the link. You can do it on your own, if you wish.

I would have considered it great advice if my question was I'm looking to buy a GLK soon and HID's are very important for me but my actual question was MUCH different, what he's telling me is to basically return my car and purchase the one with the lighting package even if I have to order it which obviously isn't an option as this point. All I'm focused on is trying to figure out what's the best route/specs to get afternarket HID kits installed on my car, apparently there are a lot of people who would rather tell me to get a whole new car than try to help me. Sorry if I'm coming off rude but im just keepin it real with you guys. Help me out by giving me advice I could actually use please, rather than telling me what I could/should have done.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
Did you miss this part? "You will find instructions on this site to replace the standard headlights with aftermarket HIDs."

But... no, I'm not going to do the research for you to find and provide the link. You can do it on your own, if you wish.
I don't think there's anything on this site regarding the replacing the standard headlights with aftermarket HIDs for 2013+ models.

The instructions on this site are for the older model base for which the halogen headlights came with a projector.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
More lights

@greasykid thebquote your replying to wasn't mesnt for you but the other user, sorry if there was a miscommunication but I just was wondering what your personal experience was with the website you recommended, do they provide bulbs that are close to 6k bright?
I bought OSRAM bulbs (from Germany) from candlepower that are the same color as the oem bulbs but are 50% brighter--less than $40 pr. That was my choice. Did not want to go all the way to 6k. Was very satisfied. Simple change out.

Last edited by greasykid; 10-13-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Try hitting the QUOTE button in the lower right corner to respond to a specific post to avoiud this kind of confusion...
Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
He probably tuned out halfway through the lecture...
Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM

glk250
<<<@!1!@>>>

Yo, I'm in the same boat as you are. I've looked for solutions and best bet at the moment for 2013 and newer GLK's is to:

A) Get brighter bulbs (I bought the phillips diamond visions and they are a step up in brightness from stock)
Amazon.com: Philips - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID Bulbs (Pair): Automotive Amazon.com: Philips - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID Bulbs (Pair): Automotive

B) Try a DIY retrofit, which I'm too chicken to do (~$350-500) https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...y-59-pics.html

C) Buy chinese aftermarket plug and play retrofits that look just like the lighting package setup on oem (~$1,200). I really was leaning for this one but no one gave feedback on my post asking if anyone had experience with the chinese lights. https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-2014-glk.html

Anywho, hope this helps and if you find another alternative, please share!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 AM

GLK 350
xenondepot.com

In the end, order the lighting kit next time. Nothing replaces auto leveling bi-xenon from the factory.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM

yes
Originally Posted by moda_way
xenondepot.com

In the end, order the lighting kit next time. Nothing replaces auto leveling bi-xenon from the factory.
Amen
Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by moda_way
xenondepot.com

Yeah, I wish I'd known about it when I bought my GLK...
Old 12-04-2015, 02:04 PM

glk350
HID headlights GLK350

I have a 2010 GLK and am wanting to upgrade the headlights to Xenon. I see there are Phillips packages available. Pricing seems reasonable at Xenondepo.com. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this and how much did it cost to have them installed. Fraid I am not mechanical enough to do this myself.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:10 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by JerryKP
I have a 2010 GLK and am wanting to upgrade the headlights to Xenon. I see there are Phillips packages available. Pricing seems reasonable at Xenondepo.com. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this and how much did it cost to have them installed. Fraid I am not mechanical enough to do this myself.
If interested, we have higher end Morimoto Elite XB35 HID conversion kits available. You'll need an H7 HID kit and offered in 5000K pure white and 6000K white with a slight bluish hue. This is a full kit including the bulbs, wiring loom, igniters, ballasts, and canbus cancellers. Plug and play application.

5000K: http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=65

6000K: http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=67

Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 PM

glk350
Headlights

Thank You. I will check these lights out and see if I can find someone to do the install. Which would you suggest?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:02 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by JerryKP
Thank You. I will check these lights out and see if I can find someone to do the install. Which would you suggest?

It's a personal aesthetic taste honestly. 5000K is more luxurious, while 6000K is more sporty. Installation is something that could easily be done as a DIY project as everything just plugs straight together, but depends on how handy you are. If you're in the California region, we have many shops we work with that we can recommend to you for install if need be.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
987.1 Porsche Cayman S
OP - I would definitely do the HID upgrade. I had to do it on my gf's '15 C250 and she loves them. (She also didn't have the HIDs stock or even have projector headlights).

I used the HID kits we have, which is pretty simple as well as being plug and play. Best investment I've done for her car that was less than $100. You bought the car, don't second guess yourself, just enjoy it and make adjustments.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2015 GLK 350! Need advice changing headlights!