MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   2014 GLK shuts off randomly while on Highway (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/578588-2014-glk-shuts-off-randomly-while-highway.html)

daghstdrummer 03-18-2015 09:23 PM

2014 GLK shuts off randomly while on Highway

Hi all, so my brother was driving my parents down to florida in their GLK and while driving the car randomly shut off according to him he says there was a message saying critical failure, he rolled onto the shoulder, turned the key off and started the car up and it fired right up again..

Any ideas what it would be.. my brother is too stubborn to push the mbrace button for service and won't probably do it until I get there next Wednesday...

Any help would be great.

Thanks

John

formerjeepguy 03-19-2015 09:07 AM

There is no way anyone could possibly know what is wrong given your vague description and without connecting to the computer to check for codes. Take it in and have it checked out. Good luck.

daghstdrummer 03-19-2015 09:12 AM

I told my brother to take it in. I'm in NYC and my brother just drove form NYC to Florida with my parents (they are snowbirds).. He's too stubborn to take it in i'll do it when I get down there. Hopefully it does not happen again.

Thanks for the quick reply

bop11 03-19-2015 11:00 AM

Probably driving 100 through Georgia and Billy Bob Statey hit them with his Frenetic discombobulating Maser which disabled their computer. So how much was the ticket?

daghstdrummer 03-19-2015 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by bop11 (Post 6370109)
Probably driving 100 through Georgia and Billy Bob Statey hit them with his Frenetic discombobulating Maser which disabled their computer. So how much was the ticket?

From what I know he didn't get any tickets on the drive down (i'm surprised he wasn't even pulled over)

Diabolis 03-20-2015 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by daghstdrummer (Post 6369629)
Hi all, so my brother was driving my parents down to florida in their GLK and while driving the car randomly shut off according to him he says there was a message saying critical failure, he rolled onto the shoulder, turned the key off and started the car up and it fired right up again..

Any ideas what it would be.. my brother is too stubborn to push the mbrace button for service and won't probably do it until I get there next Wednesday...

Any help would be great.

Thanks

John

A GM igintion switch? :naughty:

Sorry - couldn't resist. I know I am being a 5h!t disturber. I apologize in advance. :)

bop11 03-20-2015 11:19 AM

Diabolis might be correct. If it doesn't have push button start, a lot of people have all sorts of heavy stuff on their key ring. Long stuff also which can get hit by a knee. If it doesn't happen again, I'd check the hey ring.

daghstdrummer 04-07-2015 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by bop11 (Post 6371354)
Diabolis might be correct. If it doesn't have push button start, a lot of people have all sorts of heavy stuff on their key ring. Long stuff also which can get hit by a knee. If it doesn't happen again, I'd check the hey ring.

I thought that too but there is nothing other than an MB keychain on the key ring. Strange thing.. driving back from Florida it happened 2 times also.. same scenario Check Engine light comes on message flashes on screen (no one paid attention to that) and car shuts off. THey pull over to the side turn the key off and turn it back on car starts right up.. CEL stays on for alittle while then turns itself off.

Could it have something to do with the "start/stop" feature?

spyked 04-08-2015 07:24 AM

Any and all CELs will be stored in car's computer. What did the dealer say? Definitely something peculiar about this story.

daghstdrummer 04-08-2015 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by spyked (Post 6392477)
Any and all CELs will be stored in car's computer. What did the dealer say? Definitely something peculiar about this story.

Dealer asked to do extended road testing.. not sure if they know what is wrong.

Diabolis 04-08-2015 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by spyked (Post 6392477)

^ This. The error codes are going to be stored in the ECU even after the CEL light turns off after you restart the engine.

sblvro 04-08-2015 04:18 PM

Not all. I have traction control light ON/OFF On and inoperative with CEL and poor acceleration when it happens which disappears after a restart and seen by dealer twice and NO codes pulled?

Diabolis 04-08-2015 06:37 PM

That is rather unusual. Perhaps it's an intermittent ECU fault seeing as it doesn't store any error codes.

daghstdrummer 04-08-2015 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis (Post 6393184)
That is rather unusual. Perhaps it's an intermittent ECU fault seeing as it doesn't store any error codes.

Just picked up the car. Said it was the fuel pump... runs fine. I'll see if the CEL comes back on. I have a obdII scanner from my audi i'll see if it works in the GLK so i'd be able to scan it if it happens again.