GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MB BlueTEC Settlement Site is UP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK 250
MB BlueTEC Settlement Site is UP

Checked this morning and the settlement site if finally up, and claims can be submitted (subsequent to the emissions modifications).
Called local dealer, and they could not schedule anything yet, said in their system that it said the recall was 'pending'. Pending what I don't know, as the GLK 250 emissions mod was already approved by EPA and CARB. And they said they have been doing them on some other vehicles already.
Current owners have until 10/1/22 to file the claim. But, have to get the mod. done first.

https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by arocarty:
andreigbs (03-22-2021), bugelrex (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 11:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Thats great news. Now what about Canada?
The following users liked this post:
Monty001 (07-13-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 Bluetec
Thanks for posting! I signed up for updates on when the recall installs will be available with my VIN here:

https://bluetecupdate.mbusa.com/home
The following 3 users liked this post by calculicious:
andreigbs (03-22-2021), arocarty (03-21-2021), Bob338 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:32 PM

2015 GLK 250
Originally Posted by C300fan2
Not sure about Canada; seems like a lawfirm in Toronto was involved in the class action lawsuit: Koskie Minsky LLP and Lenczner Slaght Royce Smith Griffin LLP / https://kmlaw.ca/cases/mercedes-bluetec-class-action/

You could try to contact the number or email listed on their site, they may have more info -

Old 03-22-2021, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Signed up as well. It looks like the AEM (approved emissions modification) needs to be performed first, in order to receive any compensation.

I'll update this group whenever I get an appointment set for the AEM.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
Really worried about the effect of the AEM on performance.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Performance will, no doubt, be affected. There's no way to significantly decrease emissions without also restricting fuel flow. The difference between my pre-fix Golf TDI and my post-fix Jetta TDI was unbelievable. Where the Golf could chirp the tires under hard accel even in 2nd gear, the Jetta felt anemic and struggled to get up to speed.

Fuel economy is where you'll likely notice the biggest hit. My example: Golf pre-fix was 44MPG average, Jetta post-fix was 38MPG average. Same engine, same commute, same driver.

I wonder what warranty extensions (if any) the AEM will include.
MarylandGLK250B (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Performance will, no doubt, be affected. There's no way to significantly decrease emissions without also restricting fuel flow. The difference between my pre-fix Golf TDI and my post-fix Jetta TDI was unbelievable. Where the Golf could chirp the tires under hard accel even in 2nd gear, the Jetta felt anemic and struggled to get up to speed.

Fuel economy is where you'll likely notice the biggest hit. My example: Golf pre-fix was 44MPG average, Jetta post-fix was 38MP average. Same engine, same commute, same driver.

They will extend the warranty on the emissions system. That is good if/when the DEF system no longer works. But the warranty will NOT cover performance or diesel mileage. We may be setting ourselves up for a lifetime of awful performance and decreased mileage by getting the AEM. As y'all can see below, I own two affected vehicles. Lots of money at stake, but maybe not worth it....
Old 03-22-2021, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by MarylandGLK250B
They will extend the warranty on the emissions system. That is good if/when the DEF system no longer works. But the warranty will NOT cover performance or diesel mileage. We may be setting ourselves up for a lifetime of awful performance and decreased mileage by getting the AEM. As y'all can see below, I own two affected vehicles. Lots of money at stake, but maybe not worth it....
Indeed, you're in it twice as deep; my sincere condolences. Remember though, they're just cars/vans/modes of transportation. They're replaceable, and ours might just find a new owner post-fix, once we get our funds. With COVID and working from home, we don't need 2 cars anyway. One less payment is always nice, and if/when we have to go back to the office we can always buy something else while saving money until then.

Don't let it ruin your life/plans/mood
Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
Originally Posted by C300fan2
You would think that it would move fairly smoothly in Canada following the US settlement but not so much. It seems to be going at a glacial pace. Here's the link

https://kmlaw.ca/cases/mercedes-bluetec-class-action/

Old 03-23-2021, 12:19 PM

2015 GLK 250

Fuel economy is where you'll likely notice the biggest hit. My example: Golf pre-fix was 44MPG average, Jetta post-fix was 38MPG average. Same engine, same commute, same driver.

The parts to be replaced, according to the EPA FAQs: ( https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/daim...ettlement-faqs )
  • Software Update
  • New copper catalyst, DOC, DPF
  • New NOx sensor
  • New PM sensor
  • Conversion of Lambda sensor to plug
  • New HCU
They also 'claim', that the changes should not be noticeable for those already approved (TBD!) :"Drivers should not notice any adverse changes in vehicle reliability, durability, performance, drivability, fuel economy, or other driving characteristics for the AEMs that have already been approved (EMCs 1 - 4, 9 – 12). For the remaining EMCs, Daimler must perform fuel economy tests and provide consumers with an emissions modification disclosure that contains a clear and accurate description regarding all impacts of the emissions modification on the vehicle, including any impacts on fuel economy. As with all vehicles, however, several factors can affect actual fuel economy, such as, how and where a person drives, vehicle condition, maintenance and age, fuel variations, and vehicle variations"
andreigbs (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Yes, that's a pretty good list of new items. You'll notice a few glaring omissions though: nothing about AdBlue/SCR/DEF system which is what's typically gone wrong with most Bluetecs out there. Those of us with faulty AdBlue heaters/pump/sensors are not going to receive any free fixes, even though the rest of the emission system upstream of this rely on the DEF system to work properly.

It's a shame really. Luckily those of us with flash tools can revert to stock before taking the car in, get the parts replaced, reflash our DEF deletes and be done with it once more.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:27 PM

2015 GLK 250
If it helps, this is the language of the US Consent Decree with respect to the extended warranty and covered parts:

C. WARRANTY
18. Extended Warranty for Modified Eligible Vehicles. Defendants shall provide an extended warranty (the “Extended Modification Warranty”) for each Eligible Vehicle receiving an Approved Emission Modification. Subject to standard limitations that must be identified to Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees, which may set forth exclusions like accident, abuse, neglect, or installation of unexempted parts (as that term is described in 13 C.C.R. § 2038(h)), and applicable existing warranty provisions that will remain in effect, the Extended Modification Warranty shall cover the costs of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed below, as well as the cost or provision of a loaner vehicle for warranty service lasting longer than three hours where such a loaner vehicle is available. Defendants shall not impose on consumers any fees or charges, and shall pay any fees or charges imposed by Dealers related to the warranty service. Unless otherwise specified, the part shall be covered for all Eligible Vehicles that receive the Approved Emission Modification
a. The Extended Modification Warranty shall cover the following parts:
i. DOC,
ii. DPF,
iii. SCR catalyst, A10
iv. DEF injector,
v. DEF injector controller,
vi. DEF supply module,
vii. DEF pump,

viii. Temperature sensor unit,
ix. Exhaust temperature sensor,
x. PM sensor,
xi. Lambda sensor for Emission Modification Categories 1–5,
xii. NOx sensors,
xiii. Fuel injectors,
xiv. Air intake throttle,
xv. EGR valve,
xvi. EGR duct,
xvii. EGR cooler (including bypass-control),
xviii. Intake manifold/charge air distributor,
xix. EGR temperature sensor,
xx. Turbocharger, including VGT actuator,
xxi. ECU hardware, where replaced as part of the Approved Emission Modification,
xxii. TCU hardware, where replaced as part of the Approved Emission Modification,
xxiii. HCU hardware, where replaced as part of the Approved Emission Modification,
xxiv. OBD System: the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the MIL, regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Modification Warranty, as well as the cost of troubleshooting to determine the reason for the malfunction, but only if the malfunction is determined to be attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Modification Warranty, A11
xxv. Cylinder head assembly components: camshaft, valves, springs, valve spring keepers, valve seats, cam bearing caps, and manifold studs, xxvi. Engine timing chain,
xxvii. Intake manifold pressure sensor,
xxviii. Instrument cluster hardware, where replaced as part of the Approved Emission Modification, and xxix. Coolant thermostat, where replaced as part of the Approved Emission Modification.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
It's difficult to see how they'll cover DEF components if they don't first replace them. As soon as I revert to stock programming, I get an AdBlue malfunction alert and a trouble code to go with it.

And if fuel injector(s) are covered too, then maybe I can get my leaky one replaced. It's been slowly leaking and producing some bitumen for me between every oil change. It's my annual lump of coal basically.

What they DON'T mention is the time/mileage of this warranty and if it applies to ALL fixed vehicles regardless of current mileage. I guess we'll wait and see. I've already gotten my approval email from MB to schedule the fix, after which I'm eligible for monies.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:04 PM

2015 GLK 250
The language from the Consent decree also states:
"Extended Warranty Period. The warranty period for the Extended Modification Warranty shall be the greater of: (1) 10 years from date of initial sale or 120,000 miles on the odometer, whichever comes first; or (2) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date of installation of the Approved Emission Modification, whichever comes first. The Extended Modification Warranty Period shall continue after Termination of the Consent Decree, as provided in this Paragraph."

So according to that, I believe you should get at least 4 yrs. or 48K miles, regardless of mileage or year of your vehicle -

Last edited by arocarty; 03-24-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
If that holds true, it remains to be seen. Having an additional 48k mile warranty on ALL the items on that list (besides what they actually replace) might result in many additional repairs that MB may not have expected. Particularly with folks whose DEF system has taken a dump already.

Again, we'll see when we get to that bridge whether MB provides the ferry to cross it or not. I am hopeful but skeptical at the same time.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
If that holds true, it remains to be seen. Having an additional 48k mile warranty on ALL the items on that list (besides what they actually replace) might result in many additional repairs that MB may not have expected. Particularly with folks whose DEF system has taken a dump already.

Again, we'll see when we get to that bridge whether MB provides the ferry to cross it or not. I am hopeful but skeptical at the same time.
The only positive is that owners now have a lawyer (hagens berman?) on speed dial who will be be interested in any problems arising.. more $$$$
Old 03-25-2021, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350BT
Got my recall work done

Took my 2014 ML350 Bluetec in for a 70k mile service, was told a recall is in effect and they gave me a loaner and 3 days later I got it back. No noticeable difference in power loss or performance issues as yet. Will submit the claim this weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by DieselMachine:
andreigbs (03-25-2021), arocarty (03-27-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by DieselMachine
Took my 2014 ML350 Bluetec in for a 70k mile service, was told a recall is in effect and they gave me a loaner and 3 days later I got it back. No noticeable difference in power loss or performance issues as yet. Will submit the claim this weekend.
Nice.

Ours is scheduled for April 13. Out of town at the moment.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 GLK 250
Mine is at the dealer now. They basically told me everything back from the engine is being replaced and will be under warranty. Great for us because our DPF has been problematic. My understanding is that the reason there was no buyback like with VW is because the Mercedes corrections, in testing, did not alter the performance of the vehicle. So, no loss of power and no decrease in mileage.
andreigbs (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:35 PM

glk
Originally Posted by smcnair
Mine is at the dealer now. They basically told me everything back from the engine is being replaced and will be under warranty. Great for us because our DPF has been problematic. My understanding is that the reason there was no buyback like with VW is because the Mercedes corrections, in testing, did not alter the performance of the vehicle. So, no loss of power and no decrease in mileage.
let us know if they were exaggerating. I dont think the DEF tank and exhaust muffler are affected?

Mine is scheduled this week and they say its a 1 day job
Old 03-30-2021, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
+1 on this. I'd love for them to replace the AdBlue components that are failed. I guess we'll see.

It will be very helpful if we use this thread to document everyone's experiences. A collective brain trust for us and others to have access to in case of issues later.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 GLK 250
And I have my daughter's car back. Does not seem to be any change in power. Still very strong and responsive. Because my car had over 120,000 miles I now have a 4 year / 48,000 mile warranty on the emissions system so that's nice. Here is an image of the work done. Not sure what all it was, I may research it later. This is for a 2013 GLK.

andreigbs (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 04:57 PM

glk
Originally Posted by smcnair
And I have my daughter's car back. Does not seem to be any change in power. Still very strong and responsive. Because my car had over 120,000 miles I now have a 4 year / 48,000 mile warranty on the emissions system so that's nice. Here is an image of the work done. Not sure what all it was, I may research it later. This is for a 2013 GLK.

that last part is transmission oil, interesting.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Looks like a lot of "reman" parts were used. Interesting.

I'm also north of 120K miles, so any extended warranty is welcome. Note the previously listed items that are now covered (ie, not just emissions).

I'd keep a manual record of MPG figures over the next few tanks of fuel, just to be certain of the fuel economy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB BlueTEC Settlement Site is UP