GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

gas smell coming from the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK220 4Matic BlueEfficiency

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago but I thought it was just a smell coming from the parking garage.

I drive a 2010 GLK 220 CDI (diesel). After I finish driving and get out of the car, it smells like gasoline and upon further inspection, it's definitely coming from under the hood.

I changed the battery around the same time I noticed the smell and yesterday I replaced the front brake pads and noticed the smell was even stronger.

This morning it wasn't that strong but because so many things have been going on with the car (dead battery before a long trip overseas, brake pad message, etc.) I may have become more sensitive to the smell.

I'm going into the place that changed my battery tonight to see if they can see what the issue is. I read that there could be a hole in one of the hoses. I also checked below where I parked and there were no puddles. Also yesterday, the wiper fluid low message came on and then suddenly disappeared. For some reason, I think the guy that changed the battery messed with something.

Any idea on where this smell could be coming from? The guy that changed my brake pads didn't say anything and he had the car hoisted.

Last edited by bha1980; 09-22-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
I hope it isn't gasoline in a diesel vehicle. If it smells sweet it more likely is antifreeze. After 7 years you could have a bad hose. Auto transmission and power steering fluid don't have much of a smell. Look under the car and see if you see a stain. However, in today's cars with all the plastic underneath, the liquid could move quite far before hitting the ground. The battery guy could have hit the hoses going to the heater. They are close.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GLK350 4-Matic
A gasoline smell from a diesel??
Old 09-23-2017, 12:26 AM

Sorry should have said “fuel” smell. The local mechanic said it’s a faulty fuel injector. Said he could replace it for 700 on the spot. Decided to just do it at Benz but it won’t be until Tuesday. They said 600 for one. I read that this is a common issue for blue efficiency cars but they still said they won’t replace for free.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
$600 for a fuel injector? I guess the high pressure rail injectors are 3 to 4 times the cost of the old mechanical injectors. After a little research I see they are quite expensive ~$400 for a Bosch rebuilt or $475 for a Oregon Fuel Injection new part, or $374 rebuilt. https://oregonfuelinjection.com/prod...motive-diesel/
Glad my boat has mechanical injection. A rebuilt set every 10 years is only ~ $50 each. Its the orifice that wears internally so the spray pattern goes to hell. Same must happen in either High Pressure rail or mechanical system. Wonder how truckers like replacing 6 or 8 $400 injectors at 250,000 miles?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 PM

2011 GLK350
Did you get this issue taken care of yet. Same issue on my wife's GLK. Im being told the Fuel Tank Vent Valve (Purge Valve) needs to be replaced. Looks like that will cost me $519
Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 PM

2011 GLK350

Did you get this issue taken care of yet. Same issue on my wife's GLK. Im being told the Fuel Tank Vent Valve (Purge Valve) needs to be replaced. Looks like that will cost me $519
Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by mnpalston
Yes, so I went to the neighborhood guy that changed my battery and they said that they need to change the injector. New ones in Korea cost up to 2k but he has a refurbished one saying that he could install it for 700. I said I'll just take my car and he said it's not safe to drive. I took it anyways and left it in my garage until my appointment at Benz a few days later. As anywhere in the world, the service center is notorious for overcharging so I was bracing myself.

They checked out the car and it turns out that 3 of the 4 injector seals are cracked and I could replace the 3 for 220 or all 4 for 250. I just did all 4. No shaking or smell ever since (sorry forgot to mention the car was shaking at idle).

Is your smell coming from the engine bay or cabin? If it's the engine bay you may have the same issue as me. Might be worth to get it checked out at least at Benz (if you haven't already) and see what they say and then go somewhere else if it's too pricey.