GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Had a issues starting. Finally did but smelt like gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK
Had a issues starting. Finally did but smelt like gas

So my wife started her GLK After sitting for 3-4 days. It was just stuck cranking over. After about minute of this it finally spudered and ran. It smelt like gas when it first fired up. Gonna let it sit for night and check in morning. Any ideas why. Or what’s wrong?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 212 Likes on 194 Posts
2013 glk 350
Maybe a bad tank of gas
Old 11-20-2017, 12:47 PM

2011 Mercedes GLK
Originally Posted by Mmr1
Maybe a bad tank of gas
think that would cause this?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Don't know where you are so it could be cold or it could be hot. It could be dry or it could be wet. Problem sounds like moisture in the ignition system except the ignition systems are all sealed up now.. Smell of gas is probably un-burned gas in the tail pipe. Since this is not a direct injection engine, this really sounds like dripping injectors that have dripped fuel into the intake manifold and basically flooded the engine. The fuel rail is held around 40 psi and can leak out through one or more leaking injectors into the intake manifold. Next time try holding the accelerator to the floor and cranking. On intake manifold injected cars, there is a part of the start program which shuts off fuel delivery if the gas pedal is held to the floor while cranking. This replicates the old method to start a flooded carburetor engine. If this starts the engine after a few cranks, you need to have your injectors replaced. Fortunately, manifold injectors are only about $25 for rebuilt and $60 for new. Direct injected injectors are are more like $250 and up. Injectors do go bad and start to leak. A 2011 probably has near 80,000 miles.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM

2011 Mercedes GLK
Originally Posted by bop11
Don't know where you are so it could be cold or it could be hot. It could be dry or it could be wet. Problem sounds like moisture in the ignition system except the ignition systems are all sealed up now.. Smell of gas is probably un-burned gas in the tail pipe. Since this is not a direct injection engine, this really sounds like dripping injectors that have dripped fuel into the intake manifold and basically flooded the engine. The fuel rail is held around 40 psi and can leak out through one or more leaking injectors into the intake manifold. Next time try holding the accelerator to the floor and cranking. On intake manifold injected cars, there is a part of the start program which shuts off fuel delivery if the gas pedal is held to the floor while cranking. This replicates the old method to start a flooded carburetor engine. If this starts the engine after a few cranks, you need to have your injectors replaced. Fortunately, manifold injectors are only about $25 for rebuilt and $60 for new. Direct injected injectors are are more like $250 and up. Injectors do go bad and start to leak. A 2011 probably has near 80,000 miles.
Oh sorry Om sure you needed more info. The GLK was in my garage around 60 degrees. It has been sitting for a few days. I only started to move in and out of the garage for a second once during that time. I dont know if I did anything to help the issue, But I did a spark plug change and they looked to be the original plugs. It has 74K miles on the vehicle. I drove around all day seems to starting normal, but I dont know if the injectors are bad or not.

How do I test that and is there 6 total that would need replacements?
Old 11-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Never played with the injectors in a Merc. Back in the '80's and '90's on GM 305's and 350's we played a lot with injectors of different types and different pressures looking for power. They are just pushed into the manifold and the pressure rail is push down on top. Pic of one of your injectors
If you pull one out it should be dry at the bottom and not dripping. At$35 from partsgeek, a set of 6 would be $210.