GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Center air vent issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Unhappy Center air vent issue

One of the 2 vent tabs on the center air vents broke (2011 GLK350), so I ordered a replacement ($10) and tried installing it today. During the process, I managed to dislodge the clamping piece of the replacement vent tab, and it tumbled into, and towards the back of the vent cavity. I can see it sitting there right now, about 5-6" from the vent.

I'd like to try and retrieve the piece with as less fuss and cost as possible, but am not yet sure what the best course of action is. My first thought was getting some kind of long and thing tweezer/hemostat-like tool -- that might be tricky though and I foresee needing multiple takes before I successfully fish the piece through the vertical and then horizontal vent slats. It looks like that kind of tool would cost under $10.

Then there's the option of removing the entire center air vent piece (which would allow me to just shake the piece out), but from the research I've done, I'd need to use a pair of pull hooks, that would cost >$20. I read somewhere about fashioning my own pull hooks out of a couple of wire clothes hangars, but I'm not sure I have any of those in the house at the moment.

Of course, there's also the option of just buying another replacement piece but that doesn't seem like an elegant solution.

Any other ideas/thoughts/suggestions, folks?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by dandelos
One of the 2 vent tabs on the center air vents broke (2011 GLK350), so I ordered a replacement ($10) and tried installing it today. During the process, I managed to dislodge the clamping piece of the replacement vent tab, and it tumbled into, and towards the back of the vent cavity. I can see it sitting there right now, about 5-6" from the vent.

I'd like to try and retrieve the piece with as less fuss and cost as possible, but am not yet sure what the best course of action is. My first thought was getting some kind of long and thing tweezer/hemostat-like tool -- that might be tricky though and I foresee needing multiple takes before I successfully fish the piece through the vertical and then horizontal vent slats. It looks like that kind of tool would cost under $10.

Then there's the option of removing the entire center air vent piece (which would allow me to just shake the piece out), but from the research I've done, I'd need to use a pair of pull hooks, that would cost >$20. I read somewhere about fashioning my own pull hooks out of a couple of wire clothes hangars, but I'm not sure I have any of those in the house at the moment.

Of course, there's also the option of just buying another replacement piece but that doesn't seem like an elegant solution.

Any other ideas/thoughts/suggestions, folks?
How about one of those flexible grabbers. They are small enough to reach right through the vent and pushing on the end button will grab and hold the piece. I have three of them in different lengths. I'm sure you could find one that would do what you need. Amazon has them for less than $10 with built-in LED.
The following users liked this post:
dandelos (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by ZZGlk
How about one of those flexible grabbers. They are small enough to reach right through the vent and pushing on the end button will grab and hold the piece. I have three of them in different lengths. I'm sure you could find one that would do what you need. Amazon has them for less than $10 with built-in LED.
I did see them and am considering them. My main concern with those is if the diameter is small enough to fit through the vertical+horizontal vent slats. Are the ones that you have small enough?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
see if you can suck it up with a vacuum, then retrieve in the canister.
The following users liked this post:
dandelos (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 AM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
see if you can suck it up with a vacuum, then retrieve in the canister.
I didn't even think about that. I'll try out my wife's Dyson this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by dandelos
I did see them and am considering them. My main concern with those is if the diameter is small enough to fit through the vertical+horizontal vent slats. Are the ones that you have small enough?
I think we have different vents. My 2013 GLK 350 has the round vents with the flaps behind. That said, my small grabber will easily fit between the rings inside the vents. The small grabber has a diameter of 3/8".