MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/697383-finally-got-done-glk250-dpf-scr-deleted-egr-disabled.html)

GLK Super Fan 02-03-2018 03:39 AM

Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...220227e2dd.jpg

This is the website information from my local tuning shop - ECUprogram in calgary

I have been a forum member for a long period of time. Somehow i forgot my user name and password to login whenever I tried to make this post. Anyway, I have seen many members asked if it possible to get the GLK DPF/SCR/EGR delete in the past. Recently, I have found a tuning shop in my local area and completed this modification. To begin, I would like to show the website that I found which makes me super interest and exciting about this modification.

So for the price of $1099 CAD i can have a stage 2 tune and increase 60 HP and 40 TQ?!?!?! Yes that is correct for the tune! But you have to get the DPF delete kit, which is $799 CAD and approximately 5 hours of labour to install the DPF delete kit. The total cost for me for this modification was about $2,500 CAD. But man! the difference of the power and how the vehicle perform was day and night!

First of all, my GLk250 currently at 115000 km. I did not purchase the extended warranty which is another factor that pushed me to complete this modification. I had my DPF filter replaced at 50,000km under the factory warranty. I also had my NOX sensor replaced at 60,000 km, again, under the factory warranty. These two repairs always makes me worry about the cost for the long term ownership for the GLK250. According to the dealer invoice, the DPF replacement was about $4,000 CAD and the NOX sensor was about $800. There are no way I can afford these kind of expansive emission repairs and I do love my GLK250 and planning to keep to drive for a long period of time. So ever since then, I have been doing a lot of research and see how I can deal with this problem.

During my research, I found a lot of diesel truck owners and VW jetta owners completed a DPF/SCR/EGR delete. But unfortunately, I cannot find any DPF delete information regarding with our GLK. Hopefully my posting will help the fellow GLK owner if they decide to proceed with the DPF delete. I called around in Calgary area and see if any shops willing to do a DPF delete for my GLK. There were multiple of them informed me that there are no dpf kit available for my GLK and most of the shops are not familiar with Mercedes. Until I found Sam from ECUprogram! Oh man! He is like a diesel expert! He told me is possible to do it, but he never worked on a GLK before. Like I never met a mechanic that is honest like him. He told me he was able to help me delete my DPF and SCR, disable the EGR valve, which makes the modification is completely reversible whenever I decide to sell my vehicle.

After the modification and tune completed, my GLK feels like a brand new vehicle with lots of power! It almost feels like the break is not good enough the for amount of power. It getting late at night now. I will post more pictures tomorrow! If you have any questions about this modification, please don't hesitate to ask me. I learned a lot about he GLK from this forum. Now i believe is my time to give back. Cheers !!

formerjeepguy 02-03-2018 05:49 PM

I read this with mixed feelings. On the one hand the emissions system on these diesels is expensive, complex, susceptible to failures and chokes overall performance. On the other hand it does keep toxic emissions out of the air that we breathe.

I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution.

You must not have to face regular emissions inspections where you are.

107123210 02-04-2018 06:11 PM

I sympathize with GLK S-F regarding the high cost of potential emission control components. I believe those items are covered by the emissions warranty for 7 or 8 years. The emissions warranty is not same as main warranty so no need to buy an extended warranty to cover those items. https://www.mercedes-benz-burlington...benz-warranty/. I once had the main computer on a smart car replaced under that emissions warranty.

I don't know about Alberta, but in Ontario, cars are emission tested once they are 7 years old. Most are done by just using the OBD2 data. (all but 1 sensors must be "ready") But there is also a preliminary inspection to check for modifications. Wonder if the tuning modifications make the OBD data look like the car has no problems?

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy (Post 7373179)
I read this with mixed feelings. On the one hand the emissions system on these diesels is expensive, complex, susceptible to failures and chokes overall performance. On the other hand it does keep toxic emissions out of the air that we breathe.

There are no emission test in where i live. To be honest it may be new to the GLK owner to do the DPF/SCR and EGR delete, but it is really common on the diesel trucks and VW. I even find a lot of BMW owner does that as well on their forum. I cant really tell if the emission eqipments are really helping the environment or not. i do not see any black smoke coming out from the exhaust at all after the delete completed. To me, the emission equpiments and tests are more like a cash grab from the government.That just my point of views and 2 cents.

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 107123210 (Post 7373732)
I sympathize with GLK S-F regarding the high cost of potential emission control components. I believe those items are covered by the emissions warranty for 7 or 8 years. The emissions warranty is not same as main warranty so no need to buy an extended warranty to cover those items. https://www.mercedes-benz-burlington...benz-warranty/. I once had the main computer on a smart car replaced under that emissions warranty.

I don't know about Alberta, but in Ontario, cars are emission tested once they are 7 years old. Most are done by just using the OBD2 data. (all but 1 sensors must be "ready") But there is also a preliminary inspection to check for modifications. Wonder if the tuning modifications make the OBD data look like the car has no problems?

There are warranties on some of the emissions components, but not all of then. In Nov last year my DEF exhaust injector failed and the line attached to the injector got knocked off by the snows on the ground. The dealer quoted me $1600 for repair and that was not cover by the emission warranty. i was able to just replace the injector with a indy shop and keep using the old fluid line until I got my DPF delete completed.

I used live in ontario for over ten years and i know the emission test you talking about. Whenever I did the research for DPF delete, i saw more shops offer that in Ontario than in Alberta. Although there were more shops offer dpf for the trucks in alberta, just not so much to choose from for the GLK.

Whenever I did the DPF delete, SAM told me that the diesel engine cannot be tune by OBDII. Sam said the reason behind is to make it more complicated so makes harder for people to mainpulated the emission sysmtem. During my research, i found a guy that sell chips in Ontario to overide the emission components, but not true DPF delete. If you give a search in KIJIJI, you will find it.

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 02:35 PM

More pictures :)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ee7947815.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7dc6a2568e.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6d56707c41.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...26830bed34.jpg

Lately has been really busy for me. Here are some more pictures from the DPF/SCR delete.

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 05:45 PM

More Pictures on the parts that Sam helped me removed

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...49a02f31e3.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d7459d2853.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...67fe371f78.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...048e22bba8.jpg

kifaru 05-01-2018 11:00 AM

Hi
so after a few months using your glk with the tune, hows the car doing any gain in mpg or driver feel?

thanks

GLK Super Fan 05-03-2018 12:16 PM

Hi,

So far, no complaint except for little diesel smell. The mileage seems the same, i was expecting to get little better, but it didn't happen. I will do more test once the weather are more stable. The other thing I notice is that I get a lot of white smoke whenever I first start the vehicle. It doesn't really brother me now. I did find a solution for the white smoke by adding the power stroke diesel additive. The best part after the deleting is that no longer needs to worry the emission system fail, like DPF issues, nox sensors fail, def pump malfunction, that really takes the stress off from my mind.

Here are my personal mileage data after deleted

Best mileage ever got: .5.2L/100km (45mpg) - Highway only with 100km speed
Average highway mileage 6.0L /100km (39mpg) - Highway speed 110-120 average
Average City and highway 6.5L/100km (36mpg) - mix between 70% highway and 30% city

In terms of power, I told Sam to tuned down since it was too much for daily driving and I don't like the fact that affected my mileage. If you like the power, DPF delete is the way to go.

Let me know if you need more information

BenzWorld25 08-02-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7445577)
Hi,

So far, no complaint except for little diesel smell. The mileage seems the same, i was expecting to get little better, but it didn't happen. I will do more test once the weather are more stable. The other thing I notice is that I get a lot of white smoke whenever I first start the vehicle. It doesn't really brother me now. I did find a solution for the white smoke by adding the power stroke diesel additive. The best part after the deleting is that no longer needs to worry the emission system fail, like DPF issues, nox sensors fail, def pump malfunction, that really takes the stress off from my mind.

Average City and highway 6.5L/100km (36mpg) - mix between 70% highway and 30% city

In terms of power, I told Sam to tuned down since it was too much for daily driving and I don't like the fact that affected my mileage. If you like the power, DPF delete is the way to go.

Hi OP. Thank you for the info you provided in this thread.
I purchased my car about 3 months ago. During this time, the glk250 have spent more time at the dealer than on my driveway. I'm going have this done to mitigate all the headaches associated with this car DPF, and Adblue property. I have a few questions for you. Any help are greatly appreciated.

1. Is it possible to just have the DPF delete kit without having the stage 2 tune or is it all or non and not a la carte?
2. Did they have to fabricate some parts for your exhaust after removing the Catylic converter and such?
3. Did they end up removing the DEF tank or is it still in there and just not functional?

GLK Super Fan 08-03-2018 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BenzWorld25 (Post 7519277)
Hi OP. Thank you for the info you provided in this thread.
I purchased my car about 3 months ago. During this time, the glk250 have spent more time at the dealer than on my driveway. I'm going have this done to mitigate all the headaches associated with this car DPF, and Adblue property. I have a few questions for you. Any help are greatly appreciated.

1. Is it possible to just have the DPF delete kit without having the stage 2 tune or is it all or non and not a la carte?
2. Did they have to fabricate some parts for your exhaust after removing the Catylic converter and such?
3. Did they end up removing the DEF tank or is it still in there and just not functional?

1) I dont think so, because you will have all sorts of engine code after you delete your DPF. You can get a tune close to the factory setting , like similar power and torque.
2) The DPF kit is bolt on and completely reverse able. If one day you decide to sell the car, all you have to do is pay labour and reverse the DPF system
3) No, they did not remove the DEF tank. Mine just sit there. If you want, you can get it remove, it just a lot more labour.

If you have anymore questions, I will suggest you contact Sam @ECU tuning in Calgary. They are really good and knowledgeable in terms of our diesel engine.

BenzWorld25 08-04-2018 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7520407)
1) I dont think so, because you will have all sorts of engine code after you delete your DPF. You can get a tune close to the factory setting , like similar power and torque.
2) The DPF kit is bolt on and completely reverse able. If one day you decide to sell the car, all you have to do is pay labour and reverse the DPF system
3) No, they did not remove the DEF tank. Mine just sit there. If you want, you can get it remove, it just a lot more labour.

If you have anymore questions, I will suggest you contact Sam @ECU tuning in Calgary. They are really good and knowledgeable in terms of our diesel engine.

I did speak with Sam a few days back. He suggested that I sent him the Ecu to have it tune and have my local mechanic here finish up the delete. While it is about 22 hrs for me to drive to Calgary, I'm quite a bit nervous going the route Sam suggested. Trying to weight out my options whether to make the long drive and get it done right the 1st time or take a chance with the local (not great) mechanics here.

GLK Super Fan 08-04-2018 11:34 PM

If it only 22 hr drive, i will do the drive for sure. Since Sam is very knowledgeable and he done it before. So the chance for him to **** up are probably alot less. Take a trip to banff, it super nice :)

kifaru 08-05-2018 11:43 AM

Hi I have been looking into this for a while have decided to go with calgary autoworks they do malone tunning they recommend stage 1 for daily lifetime tune and can delete egr add blue and do if you wish a custome exhaust. just waiting to get the funds together then will pull the trigger.

BenzWorld25 08-08-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7521089)
If it only 22 hr drive, i will do the drive for sure. Since Sam is very knowledgeable and he done it before. So the chance for him to **** up are probably alot less. Take a trip to banff, it super nice :)

Haha..maybe i'm a wimp but a 22 hrs drive one way is no joke. I spoke to Sam and he said he would need the car for about 2 days. That meant the whole trip to get this thing done will required me to take a week off work. I will eventually do it, just not possible at the moment. I did found a reset plug on Ebay for around $350 after shipping. That will be my quick fix right now to get the car back on the road.

A question for you. Have you done an oil change on your Glk250 after the delete? If so did you use a different grade of oil since the Dpf compatible no longer an issue? Thanks again. Your thread made a huge different for my journey with this car.

GLK Super Fan 08-08-2018 01:44 PM

I still use the same grade of oil from dealership. Still doing it every 15k km. Honestly, after the car got the delete done, it feels like a normal gas car. I think the glk 250 can easily last for 300 000 km with the delete done. I am at 134 000 km now. So far, i am able to change oil myself , clean the k&n filter, clean the maf sensor, change diesel fuel filter, change transmission fluid. How many miles u have on urs? u don't want to put too much miles on it before u do the delete since the carbon will buils up

check this video out

https://youtu.be/84JbvXvnrDA

BenzWorld25 08-09-2018 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7523947)
I still use the same grade of oil from dealership. Still doing it every 15k km. Honestly, after the car got the delete done, it feels like a normal gas car. I think the glk 250 can easily last for 300 000 km with the delete done. I am at 134 000 km now. So far, i am able to change oil myself , clean the k&n filter, clean the maf sensor, change diesel fuel filter, change transmission fluid. How many miles u have on urs? u don't want to put too much miles on it before u do the delete since the carbon will buils up

check this video out

https://youtu.be/84JbvXvnrDA

Currently 66,000 miles(106,000 km) on the cluster. I might be okay since the whole DPF system is still functional minus the Nox sensors. Dealers around me wanted $2,400(USD) to replace the sensors; seems pretty outrageous to me. The plug I ordered gets here tomorrow. All it does is it will let me reset the Starts Remaining count down message. Currently have 1 Start left render the car useless for the last few days. I bought this car as a birthday gift for my mom.I don't know what I was thinking but thank god I found this thread after endless research after keep having to take it to Benz dealership. The car was there 5 times in 3 months.

Btw, what scanner tool did you used to reset your maintenance light after the oil change or does that issue exist? I can't even get my Windshield washer fluids light to shut off with this car. I read somewhere on this forum that you have to use a certain brand of fluids otherwise it will not work. Seem highly excessive for washer fluids.

GLK Super Fan 08-09-2018 04:48 PM

Ok to bypass the adblue count down, you can try this method

https://youtu.be/yVN8fbLGFjg

This one does not require any tools or obd2 to reset it

For oil change interval or service reset, you can follow this video

https://youtu.be/k4KymF6Z5XU

For your windshield washer fluid low, that one i am suspected faulty sensor, i never have problem with mine(knock on the wood). I will go search around on google and see what other plp say about it

Joe77 12-28-2018 10:38 PM

BenzWorld25; Please tell me more about the "PLUG" . Just paid big box for the "starts remaining". The dealer replaced 2 NOX sensors.

Joe77 12-28-2018 10:41 PM

GLK Super Fan; Just wondering how is the modified GLK running ?

GLK Super Fan 12-29-2018 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Joe77 (Post 7640748)
GLK Super Fan; Just wondering how is the modified GLK running ?

Awesome :) 147XXX km now

Joe77 12-29-2018 05:32 AM

Probably you read my thread. What do you suggest?

GLK Super Fan 12-29-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Joe77 (Post 7640870)
Probably you read my thread. What do you suggest?

No idea what u talking about. what thread?

mrtoofay 01-19-2019 05:58 PM

So.. Forgive me if this has been addressed. If I'd follow the foodsteps of the OP, is there anyway this can pass California smog test? I mean, nowadays, smog test consists of a visual inspection and as long as the OBDII port is not throwing any codes, it's considered a pass. Sounds like it's passable. with an updated ECU.

formerjeepguy 01-19-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by mrtoofay (Post 7658689)
So.. Forgive me if this has been addressed. If I'd follow the foodsteps of the OP, is there anyway this can pass California smog test? I mean, nowadays, smog test consists of a visual inspection and as long as the OBDII port is not throwing any codes, it's considered a pass. Sounds like it's passable. with an updated ECU.

Yes it was addressed and no this modification will not pass a smog test.

GLK Super Fan 01-19-2019 10:50 PM

No idea about the california smok test, but there are no codes after the ecu update. The thing is, you can smell the diesel after completed the delete, but no black smoke for me so far.

Gazwould 01-20-2019 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy (Post 7658738)
Yes it was addressed and no this modification will not pass a smog test.

What's the smog test ?

t_dickie 01-28-2019 03:52 PM

Did you do the removal of the DPF and everything underneath yourself, or did the place you took it do everything? Was this the delete pipe you used?

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/mercedes-...-2017-buzzken/

I'm keenly keeping an eye on this thread, my gf just bought a 2015 end of December and it's been to the dealership twice already with DEF issues. Froze up twice now. Once when we were on our way to the dealership for unrelated warranty work. Then again coming home that same day. AdBlue count down came on, but wouldn't reset itself (not sure if it should) once I got it inside at my work for a day and a half. We're both getting frustrated with the DEF freezing, and with the temps in store for us (-25 or so daytime highs) I don't see it suddenly working smooth. I'm in Manitoba, so Calgary is an easy trip, could visit some friends and get two birds stoned at once.

Seems like a great vehicle other than the DEF/DPF/SCR system. Seems way more finicky than that of the North American manufacturers in the HD pickups.

GLK Super Fan 01-28-2019 03:57 PM

I am not sure if that the same kit i used on my glk. You have to give Sam a call. The price i paid included installation and tuning. Depending on how you want to tune ur vehicle, u may have to stay a few days

t_dickie 01-28-2019 05:33 PM

No problem.

When you say it has a diesel smell after, how bad are we talking?

GLK Super Fan 01-30-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by t_dickie (Post 7666609)
No problem.

When you say it has a diesel smell after, how bad are we talking?

Hmm you will notice the smell when you first start the vehicle, special in winter time. after that, you wont smell any diesel.

dzl_benz 01-31-2019 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by t_dickie (Post 7666487)
Did you do the removal of the DPF and everything underneath yourself, or did the place you took it do everything? Was this the delete pipe you used?

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/mercedes-...-2017-buzzken/

I'm keenly keeping an eye on this thread, my gf just bought a 2015 end of December and it's been to the dealership twice already with DEF issues. Froze up twice now. Once when we were on our way to the dealership for unrelated warranty work. Then again coming home that same day. AdBlue count down came on, but wouldn't reset itself (not sure if it should) once I got it inside at my work for a day and a half. We're both getting frustrated with the DEF freezing, and with the temps in store for us (-25 or so daytime highs) I don't see it suddenly working smooth. I'm in Manitoba, so Calgary is an easy trip, could visit some friends and get two birds stoned at once.

Seems like a great vehicle other than the DEF/DPF/SCR system. Seems way more finicky than that of the North American manufacturers in the HD pickups.

Perhaps your DEF tank heater is on its last leg? You are in Manitoba so winter cold snaps could be even worse than in Calgary. My 2015 GLK2 was parked outside at -25C last winter and started right up in the morning without any warnings... but then my charge air temp sensor froze, throwing the truck into a limp mode. Took a while to thaw it in the mall's underground parking :)

There is an aftermarket replacement here: https://xemodex.ca/ca/product/def-ta...s-benz-glk250/ . I haven't tried it though, OEM still works "knock on wood".

t_dickie 02-01-2019 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_benz (Post 7668895)
Perhaps your DEF tank heater is on its last leg? You are in Manitoba so winter cold snaps could be even worse than in Calgary. My 2015 GLK2 was parked outside at -25C last winter and started right up in the morning without any warnings... but then my charge air temp sensor froze, throwing the truck into a limp mode. Took a while to thaw it in the mall's underground parking :)

There is an aftermarket replacement here: https://xemodex.ca/ca/product/def-ta...s-benz-glk250/ . I haven't tried it though, OEM still works "knock on wood".

It was weak, but the dealer replaced it on the 18th the first time it froze up on us.

Just went to the dealership today to pick up the GLK, really wasn't impressed with the answers they gave me. They're very helpful and at least seemed genuinely concerned and interested in helping make things right, but the emissions system sounds absolutely terrible on these vehicles. Basically every time it freezes up, if it gets to the point where the start counter comes on, it MUST go back to the dealership to be reset. The vehicle can't tell the system is thawed out, the tank heater does not have enough power to thaw the tank, and it only runs when the car is running. When I mentioned a delete they their answer was basically "we'll pretend we didn't hear that" and were super non committal when it came to answering how a delete would impact any future warranty claims.

dzl_benz 02-04-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by t_dickie (Post 7670617)
It was weak, but the dealer replaced it on the 18th the first time it froze up on us.

Just went to the dealership today to pick up the GLK, really wasn't impressed with the answers they gave me. They're very helpful and at least seemed genuinely concerned and interested in helping make things right, but the emissions system sounds absolutely terrible on these vehicles. Basically every time it freezes up, if it gets to the point where the start counter comes on, it MUST go back to the dealership to be reset. The vehicle can't tell the system is thawed out, the tank heater does not have enough power to thaw the tank, and it only runs when the car is running. When I mentioned a delete they their answer was basically "we'll pretend we didn't hear that" and were super non committal when it came to answering how a delete would impact any future warranty claims.

Did you hear what happened to VW? Dieselgate? They ( any German car manufacturer of consumer diesels) are all super touchy-feely now 😂 That’s probably why such reaction to your question.

The emissions system is just too complex and fragile for our -25C and below winter temps. They need to beef it up for Canada-spec cars. Not just slap block heater on it.

I wonder if there is a way to reset counter via iCarSoft MB tool? There is also engineering menu - I think you can get to it via pressing and holding 1+ #+ hang up buttons at the center console. Don’t know if they have anything there, related to start counter reset.

C300fan2 02-06-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_benz (Post 7672662)

Did you hear what happened to VW? Dieselgate? They ( any German car manufacturer of consumer diesels) are all super touchy-feely now 😂 That’s probably why such reaction to your question.

The emissions system is just to complex and fragile for our -25C and below winter temps. They need to beef it up for Canada-spec cars. Not just slap block heater on it.

I wonder if there is a way to reset counter via iCarSoft MB tool? There is also engineering menu - I think you can get to it via pressing and holding 1+ #+ hang up buttons at the center console. Don’t know if they have anything there, related to start counter reset.

yes both icarsoft and carly for iPhone you can reset the codes and counter.

abemiami 04-14-2019 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, great post, I wish I would have seen it before when my car first started asking for oil out of no where, and just like quron_southwest mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it started with 1 qt every 1000 miles down to a qt every 200 miles.
At this point and after reading all this, I will definitely opt for the DPF removal and ECU mod, but I'm going to have the existing DPF re-installed after opening it removing the guts, that way I will keep the same look as OEM, what do you think?
The muffler has the DPF and the Catalytic converter, the bypass pipe quron_southwest got is for both or just the DPF?
I will be having the muffler and ECU removed tomorrow and shipped same day if possible, any input will greatly appreciated, thank you.

GLK Super Fan 04-14-2019 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by abemiami (Post 7731933)
Hello all, great post, I wish I would have seen it before when my car first started asking for oil out of no where, and just like quron_southwest mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it started with 1 qt every 1000 miles down to a qt every 200 miles.
At this point and after reading all this, I will definitely opt for the DPF removal and ECU mod, but I'm going to have the existing DPF re-installed after opening it removing the guts, that way I will keep the same look as OEM, what do you think?
The muffler has the DPF and the Catalytic converter, the bypass pipe quron_southwest got is for both or just the DPF?
I will be having the muffler and ECU removed tomorrow and shipped same day if possible, any input will greatly appreciated, thank you.

Just want to let you know that mine is glk250, ur is glk 350, u do not have a dpf in the gas model

adobian 04-21-2019 02:52 PM

I am in California. I was wondering about this too.

I figure all you have to do is gutting out the DPF and put it back so it looks all the same. The rest is just the ECU tuning or the emulator board.

Could someone confirm this ?

GLK Super Fan 04-21-2019 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7737902)
I am in California. I was wondering about this too.

I figure all you have to do is gutting out the DPF and put it back so it looks all the same. The rest is just the ECU tuning or the emulator board.

Could someone confirm this ?

Not Just the dpf, u have also remove the SCR. There is a dpf kit u can get. I got mine from ecutune for approximately $850, can't really remember the price.

adobian 04-21-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7737906)
Not Just the dpf, u have also remove the SCR. There is a dpf kit u can get. I got mine from ecutune for approximately $850, can't really remember the price.

Thanks for the pointer. I can't go to the website ecutune.com for some reasons.
Anyway, I keep seeing a pipe for deleting DPF that cost a lot of money. If I plan to just gut out the DPF and put back the empty shell, I don't need to buy that pipe, correct ?

GLK Super Fan 04-22-2019 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7737921)
Thanks for the pointer. I can't go to the website ecutune.com for some reasons.
Anyway, I keep seeing a pipe for deleting DPF that cost a lot of money. If I plan to just gut out the DPF and put back the empty shell, I don't need to buy that pipe, correct ?

Hi, sorry i reviewed my initial post and realized the shop call Ecuprogram, if u search Ecuprogram Calgary @ google.ca, u should be able to locate the website and contact the shop.

To be honest, if u think $800 for the parts is expansive, u should switch to gas model. U have to remove the SCR, which is part of the bluetec system. If u have one Nox sensor fail and needs to replace at the dealership, which is about $800.

adobian 04-22-2019 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7738261)
Hi, sorry i reviewed my initial post and realized the shop call Ecuprogram, if u search Ecuprogram Calgary @ google.ca, u should be able to locate the website and contact the shop.

To be honest, if u think $800 for the parts is expansive, u should switch to gas model. U have to remove the SCR, which is part of the bluetec system. If u have one Nox sensor fail and needs to replace at the dealership, which is about $800.

I do not mind paying $800. But I am still learning, and I have read something like $1000-$2000 for ECU or emulator board and another $1000-$2000 for a straight pipe. That's why I asked if I could just gut the DPF and mount the empty shell without paying for the straight pipe.
So what you are saying is $800 is the total kit for ECU tuning/Emulator as well as a pipe ? Please clarify. Thanks.

GLK Super Fan 04-22-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7738313)
I do not mind paying $800. But I am still learning, and I have read something like $1000-$2000 for ECU or emulator board and another $1000-$2000 for a straight pipe. That's why I asked if I could just gut the DPF and mount the empty shell without paying for the straight pipe.
So what you are saying is $800 is the total kit for ECU tuning/Emulator as well as a pipe ? Please clarify. Thanks.

The kit is around is around 800, and u r correct, the tune is 1100 and approximately 5hrs of labor for install the kit. Please note, our diesel cannot be tine by OBD2, that why is more expensive. I think this is probably the best 2.5k i ever spent since my glk250 now has almost 160 000km with zero emissions issues after the delete is completed.

adobian 04-23-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7738606)
The kit is around is around 800, and u r correct, the tune is 1100 and approximately 5hrs of labor for install the kit. Please note, our diesel cannot be tine by OBD2, that why is more expensive. I think this is probably the best 2.5k i ever spent since my glk250 now has almost 160 000km with zero emissions issues after the delete is completed.

Sorry, I still haven't grasp the picture. Ok I understand the tuning part where you have to fix the ECU to.bypass DPF SCR DEF checking. Did you use an emulator board for it or just reprogramming ?

What are included in this DPF delete kit ? Is it just a pipe and mounting ? Can I just have the ECU tune and just gut out the existing DPF?

GLK Super Fan 04-23-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7739621)
Sorry, I still haven't grasp the picture. Ok I understand the tuning part where you have to fix the ECU to.bypass DPF SCR DEF checking. Did you use an emulator board for it or just reprogramming ?

What are included in this DPF delete kit ? Is it just a pipe and mounting ? Can I just have the ECU tune and just gut out the existing DPF?

I think the replacement part for the dpf, new pipe to replace the scr and few more pipes . I am not sure if u can use the existing dpf.

In terms of programming the ecu, u have to contact Sam@ ECU program for more information. If you look back at the pictures that I posted, Sam used few wires to tap into the ECU and flashed with a software. I flashed ROMs in my cell phone and tablet before, but flashing the ecu seems a lot more scary and expensive to fix if something goes south. I can't imagine the replacement cost if u accidentally brick the ECU.

adobian 04-24-2019 12:00 PM

Does anyone know a way to increase the gas mileage of an R320 ? Could tuning do this ?

I am thinking of buying a used R320 CDI or Bluetec, then do a DPF delete, or just go with the boring Toyota Highlander hybrid

GLK Super Fan 04-24-2019 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7740560)
Does anyone know a way to increase the gas mileage of an R320 ? Could tuning do this ?

I am thinking of buying a used R320 CDI or Bluetec, then do a DPF delete, or just go with the boring Toyota Highlander hybrid

Tuning can help with better mileage. I was able to get my best mileage from 5.3l per 100km to 4.8l to 100km
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d1c4e287c6.jpg

dzl_benz 06-17-2019 10:28 PM

These are awesome results! I had similar results (fuel mileage became much better) with Malone tuning stage 2... except it was on much lighter, FWD Golf TDI :P

Sébastien 06-25-2019 12:48 AM

Hi all, firts post here. I had the countdown started again this week... I'm sick of this system I'm gonna get rid of it too! I'm in touch with someone in my area well reknown for all kind of diesel tuning but I want to make the exhaust pipe myself. Anyone who's done the modification could you post pictures of the exhaust after the work was done on the car? I'm trying to find something to guide me in my fabrication process.

Thanks

watchinggoodman 06-27-2019 10:01 AM

In The Process of BUZZKEN and JR Delete

Don't know who's keeping up with this conversation but wanted to add some information.
I'm almost done with my DPF delete because I started getting repeated DPF codes and couldn't get the filter to respond to forced regenerations.
I went with the BuzzKen delete pipe and am VERY pleased with the fit and finish + Larry went out of his way to make the whole process painless.
Someone asked for photos so I included some.
I had JR in Canada do the remapping of the ECU and I can't say enough good about Justyna (for all I know she runs the company!) I had a 3 day nightmare with UPS (so send your ECU by Fedex). Justyna immediately responded to email, was on the phone dealing with UPS, texted, called - just a great gal. I haven't started the car yet but if the tune is anything like her customer service it will be wonderful.
Plan on a good 8 hours to do the delete and installation work with the biggest headache being securing the new pipe to the CAT with the Mercedes ring clamp - if you have 3 hands you will have no problem. Yes, the BuzzKen delete pipe leaves the Mercedes CAT (behind the turbo in place). Apparently CATs don't load up like the DPFs do and leaving it helps with the stink - we'll see on both accounts.
4 days for shipping and remapping if you do FEDEX overnight and shipping will cost you about $200. round-trip.
The delete pipe with (2) 2.5" band clamps from BuzzKen is $750. shipping included.
The ECU remapping from JR Performance was just over $1000.
Just got off the phone with JR - sent them an email and text about an EGR question - 10 minutes later they called to answer my question - that's service.
So the whole package cost me a litter better than 1/2 the price of replacement DPF.
I'll let you know the details after I start it later on today.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4c13427484.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8425d8e5ad.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d5f83712ca.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...97a21d8bd3.jpg

GLK Super Fan 06-27-2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by watchinggoodman (Post 7789335)
Don't know who's keeping up with this conversation but wanted to add some information.
I'm almost done with my DPF delete because I started getting repeated DPF codes and couldn't get the filter to respond to forced regenerations.
I went with the BuzzKen delete pipe and am VERY pleased with the fit and finish + Larry went out of his way to make the whole process painless.
Someone asked for photos so I included some.
I had JR in Canada do the remapping of the ECU and I can't say enough good about Justyna (for all I know she runs the company!) I had a 3 day nightmare with UPS (so send your ECU by Fedex). Justyna immediately responded to email, was on the phone dealing with UPS, texted, called - just a great gal. I haven't started the car yet but if the tune is anything like her customer service it will be wonderful.
Plan on a good 8 hours to do the delete and installation work with the biggest headache being securing the new pipe to the CAT with the Mercedes ring clamp - if you have 3 hands you will have no problem. Yes, the BuzzKen delete pipe leaves the Mercedes CAT (behind the turbo in place). Apparently CATs don't load up like the DPFs do and leaving it helps with the stink - we'll see on both accounts.
4 days for shipping and remapping if you do FEDEX overnight and shipping will cost you about $200. round-trip.
The delete pipe with (2) 2.5" band clamps from BuzzKen is $750. shipping included.
The ECU remapping from JR Performance was just over $1000.
Just got off the phone with JR - sent them an email and text about an EGR question - 10 minutes later they called to answer my question - that's service.
So the whole package cost me a litter better than 1/2 the price of replacement DPF.
I'll let you know the details after I start it later on today.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4c13427484.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8425d8e5ad.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d5f83712ca.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...97a21d8bd3.jpg

Yours looks identical to mine, even the price are very close to the same. You are correct with the CAT, i still have my factory CAT on mine to reduce the smell of diesel. The only thing doing remotely is you may get a CEL and have to send back the ECU to the tuner.

Sam, the guy helped me tuned my GLK250 offered few different types of tune for me to try it. I was really appreciated him for letting me try it since there was no additional charge to it.

Do you know what kind of tune u getting it? do you wany more power or better fuel efficiency?

andreigbs 06-28-2019 12:25 PM

I think I need to plan a roadtrip to Canada. Would be nice to come back with more power AND better fuel efficiency, both of which are likely when you tune a turbodiesel.

Simon Galarneau 07-06-2019 11:38 PM

Gentlemen, I'll call Sam. It is definitively a no brainer. I seen all the troubles you guys went through and yesterday I did a Service A2 at Lone Star Mercedes benz and they suggested that I do a test drive(because they did reset the yellow engine light telling that it was my DPF that was maybe just clogged or faulty inside) so I had to rune 20-25 minutes on the highway to clear it. Went to canmore with the girlfriend and boom again... light is on.

Very satisfy with their service but the estimate to fix it is.... 2056.57$, I'll need to fix it again later with the Nos and the sensor.... no way.

Plan B : I'll call Sam and keep you in the loop. I'll take bunch of picture and explain like GLK SUPER FAN did.

Any details or questions: Simon.Galarneau.27@gmail.com

I'm in Calgary downtown.
If anyone want to do it to, we could group up and get a deal with Sam.

*** Out of topic *** I got a story I can give you but later maybe.. arrrr why not now:

Break disk and out side province inspection. Failed inspection due to Disk break with tiny groove.

-BTW, break Disc used for sell, kinda brand new, just have few groove that can be Remove with a Grinder and be just fine, Quebec(Sherbrooke dealer ship Mercedes benz) has receive a bad batch of break Pads with bigger pieces of metal chunks that allow to break harder, as they say, but create grooves in the disk and make your break yell at every stop sign you do. A NON FREAKING SENSE!!!! They changed the Disc twice with the same problem without acknowledgement and pretended it's was normal. Dumbs dumbs.... You heard a lot of brand new car 70 000 $$$ Audi, BMW, LEXUS, Cadillac yelling at each stop sign ? hell no. If it's your case fight it! I won twice and the third time I called Mercedes benz Canada to get a answer, they hided behind the dealer ship because he's the biggest seller in Quebec province. Outrageous.

Simon Galarneau 07-08-2019 11:23 AM

I got the Appointment right away with Sam, I'll leave the car for 2 days. Estimate 21 hundred $

Not bad. Same estimate as the dealership but.. Dealership will always find more pieces without telling you that required to fix more due to that and that...

I'll update later after done.

GLK Super Fan 07-08-2019 12:08 PM

Good for u man :)

Simon Galarneau 07-08-2019 12:09 PM

Honestly thanks to you for all the hard work to figure it out for everyone. I give you all the credit.

Simon Galarneau 07-10-2019 03:29 PM

Sam is working on it, I'll get it by next Monday, Gf will pick it up. 2100$ I'll unfortunately be gone on vacation for a week, and come back on next week, the 23. I'll drive test the baby and keep you in the loop. I'll take picture of Pieces removed and the new kit installed.

Peace out.

DisorderlyToast 07-25-2019 11:16 AM

Company Concerns

I am about 1 year into ownership of my 250 and 2 DEF system related issues deep already. Living in rural Texas, emission standards are not a concern and therefore deleting the whole system is my go to plan. The only issue I have is I want to make sure I'm using a reputable company. Anyone here have any knowledge of stateside ECU reflash companies? I'm looking at tunemyeuro.com currently, who sells the buzzken physical bypass and does the reflash themselves (I believe)....just wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about them. If it helps, I know they were formerly known as AARodriguez Corp...

Thanks!

andreigbs 07-25-2019 12:05 PM

Not sure I've heard of them, but you can also look up Malone Tuning for dealers near you. I think they have software options for our OM651 engines.

GLK Super Fan 07-26-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DisorderlyToast (Post 7811883)
I am about 1 year into ownership of my 250 and 2 DEF system related issues deep already. Living in rural Texas, emission standards are not a concern and therefore deleting the whole system is my go to plan. The only issue I have is I want to make sure I'm using a reputable company. Anyone here have any knowledge of stateside ECU reflash companies? I'm looking at tunemyeuro.com currently, who sells the buzzken physical bypass and does the reflash themselves (I believe)....just wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about them. If it helps, I know they were formerly known as AARodriguez Corp...

Thanks!

I think there is a new OBDII for the delete, but that will eventually clog up the dpf and exhaust components since none of the emission stuff will be remove. I will give a call to Sam and ask about the new OBDII delete. From what i know, he at least done a few glk dpf delete now.

Hondo78 07-29-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy (Post 7373179)

Former Jeeper- "I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution"
Please note: The EPA world is guided by a panel with two oil company executives on the board, don't condemn with what is a popular trend. I lived the 1970's oil embargoes 30 miles east of San Francisco, a time before working from home, it was a time of get to work or loose your job. Also that was a time with the fear of "Global Cooling", (Look it up, Dan Rather)
I have four diesels and will have five soon, they are the future, be it with a different fuel supplier possibly. If I do not find a fix for the count down to death issue", my spouses R350 will be a 5300lb paperweight, I have been fleeced by the Penske Owned MBZ Stealership network some three times, I don't wish to do it again. They are poorly staffed, trained and put their own time concerns ahead of mine, so I chose to opt out. This does not mean I will stop putting in Ad-blue, it simply means both wagons will start when I take a drive to remote destinations and still get me home.
I work in down town San Francisco, I almost never drive. I listen to Diesel hater and carbon rhetoric like a Jew in Nazi Germany EVERY DAY, I keep my opinions to myself.

One thing to note, during post "Embargo years" every manufacturer soon offered a diesel engine, one mining firm cam into my work and bought 10,000 brass flush head fasteners, for some former military 1.5 ton trucks used under ground, the conversation led to an interesting story. This mining firm, working solely under ground, had purchased 100 GM 6.2 diesel engines for re-powering their fleet. OSHA approved the use of these engines in an enclosed area for humans to breath! So either OSHA, myself or you don't really know the impact on the human landscape. Perhaps this is just more Carbon reduction rhetoric, and aimed at me, and all the while Al Gore and all of congress and all the haters in San Francisco jump on a jet every Friday to go visit beautiful places, I'd guess to intentionally pollute these pristine locations.

Note: I don't think you were seriously Condemning anyone, (Or do you have a stone in your hand now?);=D

Just remember never underestimate the shear "Stupidity of humans in groups", these Mobs can convince the strongest individuals to do great harm to others, in the name of saving the heard.

formerjeepguy 07-29-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo78 (Post 7815001)
Former Jeeper- "I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution"
Please note: The EPA world is guided by a panel with two oil company executives on the board, don't condemn with what is a popular trend. I lived the 1970's oil embargoes 30 miles east of San Francisco, a time before working from home, it was a time of get to work or loose your job. Also that was a time with the fear of "Global Cooling", (Look it up, Dan Rather)
I have four diesels and will have five soon, they are the future, be it with a different fuel supplier possibly. If I do not find a fix for the count down to death issue", my spouses R350 will be a 5300lb paperweight, I have been fleeced by the Penske Owned MBZ Stealership network some three times, I don't wish to do it again. They are poorly staffed, trained and put their own time concerns ahead of mine, so I chose to opt out. This does not mean I will stop putting in Ad-blue, it simply means both wagons will start when I take a drive to remote destinations and still get me home.
I work in down town San Francisco, I almost never drive. I listen to Diesel hater and carbon rhetoric like a Jew in Nazi Germany EVERY DAY, I keep my opinions to myself.

One thing to note, during post "Embargo years" every manufacturer soon offered a diesel engine, one mining firm cam into my work and bought 10,000 brass flush head fasteners, for some former military 1.5 ton trucks used under ground, the conversation led to an interesting story. This mining firm, working solely under ground, had purchased 100 GM 6.2 diesel engines for re-powering their fleet. OSHA approved the use of these engines in an enclosed area for humans to breath! So either OSHA, myself or you don't really know the impact on the human landscape. Perhaps this is just more Carbon reduction rhetoric, and aimed at me, and all the while Al Gore and all of congress and all the haters in San Francisco jump on a jet every Friday to go visit beautiful places, I'd guess to intentionally pollute these pristine locations.

Note: I don't think you were seriously Condemning anyone, (Or do you have a stone in your hand now?);=D

Just remember never underestimate the shear "Stupidity of humans in groups", these Mobs can convince the strongest individuals to do great harm to others, in the name of saving the heard.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with this semi-coherent rambling. I think you disapprove of regulation on diesel emissions. If you do feel that way then by all means go ahead and breathe all the diesel fumes you want. I will believe the science that tells us that diesel particulate and nox emissions kill people by interfering with their respiratory systems. But you don't have to - you can believe whatever you want. Have a good day.

C300fan2 07-29-2019 03:18 PM

I had trouble following that rant as well.

andreigbs 07-31-2019 11:01 AM

I will believe the science that tells us that diesel particulate and nox emissions kill people by interfering with their respiratory systems.

Science is not a belief system, let's make sure we get that clear. It is merely a human tool used to study and learn things. Science can, and has been, misused at times and is often just plainly misunderstood.

I have yet to read any conclusive, repeatable and reliable scientific evidence whereby diesel exhaust was directly responsible for the death of any groups of people. It is a regulation issue much more than it is a health issue.

I believe emissions should be federally regulated and that the EPA should be the only agency to create and maintain these regulations, where appropriate.

Compared to gasoline-powered vehicles, diesel-powered passenger vehicles account for (maybe, at most) 5% of all new vehicles sold in the U.S.

If you have breathing problems, diesel vehicles are not your primary concern or contributing factor. And the heavy-duty industrial diesels like class 8 semis have been emissions-regulated since about 2007.

Again, let's keep things in perspective.

formerjeepguy 07-31-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 7816774)

Science is not a belief system, let's make sure we get that clear. It is merely a human tool used to study and learn things. Science can, and has been, misused at times and is often just plainly misunderstood.

I have yet to read any conclusive, repeatable and reliable scientific evidence whereby diesel exhaust was directly responsible for the death of any groups of people. It is a regulation issue much more than it is a health issue.

I believe emissions should be federally regulated and that the EPA should be the only agency to create and maintain these regulations, where appropriate.

Compared to gasoline-powered vehicles, diesel-powered passenger vehicles account for (maybe, at most) 5% of all new vehicles sold in the U.S.

If you have breathing problems, diesel vehicles are not your primary concern or contributing factor. And the heavy-duty industrial diesels like class 8 semis have been emissions-regulated since about 2007.

Again, let's keep things in perspective.

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-pollut...ed-diesel.html

https://lae.mit.edu/2018/09/24/new-l...mature-deaths/

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-than-thought/

Again, you can believe what you want to and have a good day.

andreigbs 07-31-2019 03:18 PM

As pointed out elsewhere, this report includes no observational data, actual emissions measurements or vehicle testing results to validate its various assumptions.

No evidence of deaths due to diesel exhaust emissions here either, but "the researchers predict these excess emissions will have a significant health impact, causing approximately 2,700 premature deaths per year across Europe."
No follow-up documentation to prove this prediction is available.

While "excess emissions of harmful nitrogen oxide (NOx) exhaust gases can be linked to 38,000 premature deaths worldwide," correlation is not causation. Any good scientist will recognize this.
Moreover, researchers "used computer modelling and satellite data to simulate the effect of excess NOx pollution on health, crops and the climate."
No actual deaths counted, confirmed or otherwise. Just more dire predictions.

Again, you can believe what you want to and have a good day.
Oh I will, no worries there. And same to you :wavey: Let's agree to disagree.

formerjeepguy 07-31-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 7817039)

Oh I will, no worries there. And same to you :wavey: Let's agree to disagree.

:) Ok.

mysterysi 08-14-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Galarneau (Post 7799645)
Sam is working on it, I'll get it by next Monday, Gf will pick it up. 2100$ I'll unfortunately be gone on vacation for a week, and come back on next week, the 23. I'll drive test the baby and keep you in the loop. I'll take picture of Pieces removed and the new kit installed.

Peace out.

Any update? Seriously thinking about DPF delete.

DisorderlyToast 08-14-2019 01:04 PM

Pulled the trigger

I finally pulled the trigger last week. Is shipped and on the way here now. I guess the pipe comes from Canada and then I mail the ECU to Georgia and then hope for the best lol... We shall see.

ronwp 08-19-2019 02:58 PM

Any News as to how it went? Photos Etc.

Simon Galarneau 08-19-2019 05:04 PM

Hey folks, Unbelievable! Left it there Friday afternoon. Ready by Tuesday. 2100 $

1 Little hick! I ask to give back all pieces, and as you notice there are several location where sensor are supposed to be, SAM took them and kept them. Probably worth a fortune for him, and for you if you manage to sell them your self on kijiji like i was planning on.. but he kept them. Probably worth dealing price lower if he doesn't keep them.( 300 - 400 $ lower )
But the job is perfect!
I hit on the highway to jasper(in the mountains), 5.4 and in town around 6.2 per 100k
Bit louder , but really just a bit, No smell at all like previous people mentioned.
I got to say tho. I put on each refill of the gas tank( Diesel additive ). I believe it is damn efficient. 2 shooter glass size each refill, and during winter I use the same white bottle.
Not as mention previously, loooooots of power but you do feel a little more kick.
Since I got it done, I did a reset on the mileages and I'm at 5.9 combine with 2000 more done.

Call Sam. worth a "loooooooots" of headache saving on the long run. I looked at my old bills since I bought brand new the GLK, 2 Pieces already got fixed under warranty in the past and I'm at 103k so far. It would have cost less to do it in the first place when I bought it new and salvage and sell pieces online as used.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...647cb266cd.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b0ba3d5150.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c751a681ea.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...25006eaf30.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...406d3f3b59.jpg

mono4lamar 08-19-2019 10:43 PM

EDIT

mono4lamar 08-19-2019 10:49 PM

Is the second item (with the flexpipe) the DPF? I ask as I have two bulky drums. One is located in view of the engine bay and the second is more visible under the car (identical to the flexpipe unit you have).

I only ask as I'm going to remove it and have it cleaned. I only have this vehicle so I can't have it down for long. Is it possible because I'm a California resident that I have two DPF's?

Thanks for your help in advance. I've searched a lot online however, nobody has really documented this and the factory diagrams don't really call things out well.

GLK Super Fan 08-19-2019 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Galarneau (Post 7832526)
Hey folks, Unbelievable! Left it there Friday afternoon. Ready by Tuesday. 2100 $

1 Little hick! I ask to give back all pieces, and as you notice there are several location where sensor are supposed to be, SAM took them and kept them. Probably worth a fortune for him, and for you if you manage to sell them your self on kijiji like i was planning on.. but he kept them. Probably worth dealing price lower if he doesn't keep them.( 300 - 400 $ lower )
But the job is perfect!
I hit on the highway to jasper(in the mountains), 5.4 and in town around 6.2 per 100k
Bit louder , but really just a bit, No smell at all like previous people mentioned.
I got to say tho. I put on each refill of the gas tank( Diesel additive ). I believe it is damn efficient. 2 shooter glass size each refill, and during winter I use the same white bottle.
Not as mention previously, loooooots of power but you do feel a little more kick.
Since I got it done, I did a reset on the mileages and I'm at 5.9 combine with 2000 more done.

Call Sam. worth a "loooooooots" of headache saving on the long run. I looked at my old bills since I bought brand new the GLK, 2 Pieces already got fixed under warranty in the past and I'm at 103k so far. It would have cost less to do it in the first place when I bought it new and salvage and sell pieces online as used.

I am happy it worked out really good for u :) There are no reason not to go to Sam if u live in Calgary area or place without emission test. My best mileage so far was 4.8L/100km. The other day i had little bit fun wifh the SQ5, i was able to keep it up with him till about 100km, it like head to head. I am really impressed with the glk since mine has almost 160k km and the sq5 has over 300 hp.

Simon Galarneau 08-20-2019 11:00 AM

I believe the PDF is the big metallic part attack to the catalyst. No there no such thing as a double PDF. You got a heater right at the exit of the engine that heat up glowing red prior to get to the PDF, that must be what you see.

mono4lamar 08-20-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Galarneau (Post 7833136)
I believe the PDF is the big metallic part attack to the catalyst. No there no such thing as a double PDF. You got a heater right at the exit of the engine that heat up glowing red prior to get to the PDF, that must be what you see.

Thanks for this. So to confirm, there's a pre-heater, then the DPF, then some sort of midpipe (the rectangular item in the middle of the chassis)?

I'm likely going to pull the DPF over the weekend to clean it out. If it's the second item, it appears as it won't be too hard to remove, maybe an hour. :)

dieselking 08-28-2019 01:12 AM

GLK Fan, sounds like you have tried out a few versions of Sam's tune. Which version would you recommend? Power or efficiency? I just sent in my ECU to Sam for tuning and would like to hear your experience with the different versions of the tune.

GLK Super Fan 08-28-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by dieselking (Post 7839931)
GLK Fan, sounds like you have tried out a few versions of Sam's tune. Which version would you recommend? Power or efficiency? I just sent in my ECU to Sam for tuning and would like to hear your experience with the different versions of the tune.

It really depends on what you like. My GLK was base on the fuel efficiency build. The power tune was really fun, but it will cost you approximately extra 2L per 100km, which I can't justify since my commute is approximately 200km round trip. Even with the fuel efficiency tune, the low end torque are still really amazing.

dieselking 08-28-2019 11:03 PM

Thanks GLKFan! Impressive that your car was able to keep up with the SQ5 with the Efficiency tune...the SQ5 is no slouch. Now I know which tune to get...the POWER build :)

DisorderlyToast 08-30-2019 02:32 PM

Update

ECU came back in today (mine was mailed off for tune) and I can't wait to get home and install it! The pipe install was no walk in the park, but manageable. Very excited to see if everything went as planned!

GLK Super Fan 08-30-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DisorderlyToast (Post 7842116)
ECU came back in today (mine was mailed off for tune) and I can't wait to get home and install it! The pipe install was no walk in the park, but manageable. Very excited to see if everything went as planned!

Nice! i wish i am handy like u and install my dpf delete kit, which can probably save a few hundred dollars

dzl_benz 08-30-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 7811938)
Not sure I've heard of them, but you can also look up Malone Tuning for dealers near you. I think they have software options for our OM651 engines.

For anyone who is looking at this thread and is around Calgary, one of the Malone official dealers is German Car Specialist by the Center street. I had them install Malone Stage 2 for my Golf TDI - very good guys.

GLK Super Fan 08-31-2019 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by dzl_benz (Post 7842316)
For anyone who is looking at this thread and is around Calgary, one of the Malone official dealers is German Car Specialist by the Center street. I had them install Malone Stage 2 for my Golf TDI - very good guys.

Here is my 2 cents on what i think about malone tuning. When I had to do my dpf delete, they still did not have any dpf delete for our glk at that point of time, i am not sure if they developed the tuning yet for the glk or not. From what I am understanding, malone tuning is a tuning company based on BC Vancouver. So when you bring your car to like German Car Specialist(one of the official authorized dealer from malone tuning), all they do is flash the ecu copy that was provided from malone tuning and install the piping. If there is problem with the tune, they will have to send data back to malone tuning in BC to make any adjustment. For sure if you are not picky, they are great and probably cheaper compare go Sam's shop(ECU tuning).But if you are unlucky and run into problems with the tune, the wait time to get your issue solve maybe insane. Compare to Sam's shop, he has tuner and mechanic on site, if there is any issue, he can just fix right on spot or adjust the tune to fit your need. The bouns is, he don't charge for the tune adjustment :) So how awesome is that :)

devries99 09-09-2019 11:46 AM

DPF delete kit?

So are these delete kits for sale somewhere?

Regards

Tony

GLK Super Fan 09-09-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by devries99 (Post 7849371)
So are these delete kits for sale somewhere?

Regards

Tony

You can contact Sam @ (403) 891- 3179 or visit http://www.ecuprogram.com/mercedes-benz for most updated price

vinglk 09-24-2019 11:00 PM

Hi Simon , glad you are happy about the outcome .Thank-you for all the information on the topic . I have not had any problems yet(second owner) but the dealer did change a knox sensor under warranty . It is a second vehicle for me and doesn't really stay outside during the cold in winter . I am looking into doing it also but I cannot got to Calgary . I assume you are from Montreal as I am , did you look around to see if anyone could do it here in Montreal ?

Originally Posted by Simon Galarneau (Post 7832526)

But the job is perfect!

Glk fan1 10-16-2019 04:35 PM

having same issue. DPF.

Originally Posted by DisorderlyToast (Post 7828260)
I finally pulled the trigger last week. Is shipped and on the way here now. I guess the pipe comes from Canada and then I mail the ECU to Georgia and then hope for the best lol... We shall see.

Would you please give me more info about this. i would like to delete DPF, will it pass the yearly inspection. i am also from texas, dallas.

DisorderlyToast 10-16-2019 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Glk fan1 (Post 7879360)
Would you please give me more info about this. i would like to delete DPF, will it pass the yearly inspection. i am also from texas, dallas.

Do y'all have emissions testing in your county or just safety? It won't pass emissions.

emixam09 10-23-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7445577)
Hi,

I deleted my PFD 4 days ago with EGR and Flappy and naturally the Adblue bull**** system without tuning the performances and the result is: a little more vibration about 5-10% but not shure everybody would feel it. Absolutly no performance gain and not more fuel economy. i'm still between 6 - 6.5L/100kms. But i'm shure the engine will last for a loooooong time.
The tecnician just use a software from europe and no electronic welding. For the diesel odor i smell it just the fist 5 minutes when the engine is cold. No black smoke even if i push it hard. The total price 750$ for all.

GLK Super Fan 10-23-2019 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by emixam09 (Post 7884886)
I deleted my PFD 4 days ago with EGR and Flappy and naturally the Adblue bull**** system without tuning the performances and the result is: a little more vibration about 5-10% but not shure everybody would feel it. Absolutly no performance gain and not more fuel economy. i'm still between 6 - 6.5L/100kms. But i'm shure the engine will last for a loooooong time.
The tecnician just use a software from europe and no electronic welding. For the diesel odor i smell it just the fist 5 minutes when the engine is cold. No black smoke even if i push it hard. The total price 750$ for all.

For the price u pay for is not bad at all. Where you located?

GLK Super Fan 10-23-2019 10:06 PM

Just to update my best mileage,
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...517e47d5ca.jpg
My car gets better mileage after i completed the engine flush and added ceratec additives. I will do a mileage soon and see if i can get better than 4.8L

emixam09 10-23-2019 10:25 PM

quebec city. the programming change for delete egr, floppy, adblue and pfd sensor differential pressure tooks 20mins. Ffor extrat the pfd and remove the filter inside and reweld it + replace it is 3 hours. You need a good welder because the stainless housing of the filter is thick as a canadian 10 cents.

GLK Super Fan 10-23-2019 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by emixam09 (Post 7885372)
quebec city. the programming change for delete egr, floppy, adblue and pfd sensor differential pressure tooks 20mins. Ffor extrat the pfd and remove the filter inside and reweld it + replace it is 3 hours. You need a good welder because the stainless housing of the filter is thick as a canadian 10 cents.

That a really good deal. I did purchase a separate dpf kit and just the kit itself it like $800 CAD. You can probably achieve better mileage and hp gain if u get a proper tune. But if you are happy just how the vehicle drive now , no need for the tune. Save the money for further repair

sidshock 10-27-2019 09:04 AM

Dpf/egr

Anyone able to do this full delete and remap in Ontario???
Got a 2013 glk. 185k km.
Rathwr be proactive than wait for the failure!
Would like to clean the engine manifold from all the soot bulldup too!

GLK Super Fan 10-28-2019 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by sidshock (Post 7887782)
Anyone able to do this full delete and remap in Ontario???
Got a 2013 glk. 185k km.
Rathwr be proactive than wait for the failure!
Would like to clean the engine manifold from all the soot bulldup too!

Where you at in Ontario? U can send ur ecu to Sam@ calgary and get an exhaust shop to do the piping

artim808 12-11-2019 11:45 AM

Do you guys have increased idle RPM after dpf/egr delete? I had idle RPM before delete around 580 and now is 760.

andreigbs 12-11-2019 03:27 PM

Looks like I may joining a related bandwagon. Took advantage of the end-of-year OE Tuning sale, ordered the MyGenius + Bluetec tune for $550. Should be here by the weekend.

From what I've been told, the new software does not turn off any emissions components. It optimizes timing, injection, boost, several other things to make it run much better overall. They do offer additional tunes to deactivate DPF/EGR/AdBlue but those are $100 each. Nice to know I have that option in the future if/when I want to remove them.

What I will be getting is 40+HP and 65+ Lbs/Ft Torque, looking forward to that!

@artim808: I'll keep an eye on the idle rpms before and after, just in case. I assume you had the ECU tuned as well?

artim808 12-11-2019 05:02 PM

Yes, I loaded the file to ECU and that was first difference I noticed. I still have all emissions components installed.

andreigbs 12-12-2019 09:18 AM

Interesting. I wonder if that's only during the "learning" process that happens with a new tune? I'll find out soon enough, the awesome guys at OETuning just emailed me my new tune :wootrock:

artim808 12-17-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 7925784)
Interesting. I wonder if that's only during the "learning" process that happens with a new tune? I'll find out soon enough, the awesome guys at OETuning just emailed me my new tune :wootrock:

Did you loaded the tune already? How's your idle RPM?

andreigbs 12-17-2019 12:33 PM

@artim808 Yes I successfully loaded the performance tune late last week, but I've been too busy enjoying the added torque. The Moose really gets going now after being fully unleashed. We did a weekend trip and I noticed a small bump up in fuel economy numbers as well, but I need more fill-ups to confirm. Specifically about the idle: it's exactly the same as before. It starts right up, idles smoothly but has a somewhat throatier sound (not louder, just a wee bit difference in tone). The only time I've noticed a slightly elevated idle speed was on an active regen and while sitting at a stoplight.

Bill Redekop 02-14-2020 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7372793)

This is the website information from my local tuning shop - ECUprogram in calgary

I have been a forum member for a long period of time. Somehow i forgot my user name and password to login whenever I tried to make this post. Anyway, I have seen many members asked if it possible to get the GLK DPF/SCR/EGR delete in the past. Recently, I have found a tuning shop in my local area and completed this modification. To begin, I would like to show the website that I found which makes me super interest and exciting about this modification.

So for the price of $1099 CAD i can have a stage 2 tune and increase 60 HP and 40 TQ?!?!?! Yes that is correct for the tune! But you have to get the DPF delete kit, which is $799 CAD and approximately 5 hours of labour to install the DPF delete kit. The total cost for me for this modification was about $2,500 CAD. But man! the difference of the power and how the vehicle perform was day and night!

First of all, my GLk250 currently at 115000 km. I did not purchase the extended warranty which is another factor that pushed me to complete this modification. I had my DPF filter replaced at 50,000km under the factory warranty. I also had my NOX sensor replaced at 60,000 km, again, under the factory warranty. These two repairs always makes me worry about the cost for the long term ownership for the GLK250. According to the dealer invoice, the DPF replacement was about $4,000 CAD and the NOX sensor was about $800. There are no way I can afford these kind of expansive emission repairs and I do love my GLK250 and planning to keep to drive for a long period of time. So ever since then, I have been doing a lot of research and see how I can deal with this problem.

During my research, I found a lot of diesel truck owners and VW jetta owners completed a DPF/SCR/EGR delete. But unfortunately, I cannot find any DPF delete information regarding with our GLK. Hopefully my posting will help the fellow GLK owner if they decide to proceed with the DPF delete. I called around in Calgary area and see if any shops willing to do a DPF delete for my GLK. There were multiple of them informed me that there are no dpf kit available for my GLK and most of the shops are not familiar with Mercedes. Until I found Sam from ECUprogram! Oh man! He is like a diesel expert! He told me is possible to do it, but he never worked on a GLK before. Like I never met a mechanic that is honest like him. He told me he was able to help me delete my DPF and SCR, disable the EGR valve, which makes the modification is completely reversible whenever I decide to sell my vehicle.

After the modification and tune completed, my GLK feels like a brand new vehicle with lots of power! It almost feels like the break is not good enough the for amount of power. It getting late at night now. I will post more pictures tomorrow! If you have any questions about this modification, please don't hesitate to ask me. I learned a lot about he GLK from this forum. Now i believe is my time to give back. Cheers !!

Both myself and a friend had our 2013 and 2014 GLK250’s done. BEST decision ever!! No more tank heater replacements and NOX sensors. Runs like at a top! Check out Neil at Saskatoon Imports!

andreigbs 02-15-2020 09:55 AM

Good decision, gents. For other Bluetec owners out there, know that you have additional options.
If you don’t want to remove the exhaust hardware but you DO want the after treatment devices turned down (not off 100%) so that you can always revert back to stock, OETuning offers the flash tool with a stage 1 tune good for 40hp and 60ish ft-lbs.
I’ve been running this tune for about 10k miles and am loving it. They run specials now and then, or they might offer discounts to MBWorld members.

Andrei Clopot 02-21-2020 07:41 PM

GLK250

Hey guys, I bought the DPF delete kit from
https://www.rawtekinc.com/products/m...pr_seq=uniform
and installed it myself. It took me about 4hours of work. The hardest part was to unscrew de clamp that holds the pipe by the engine. Like someone has mentioned earlier, you do need three hands to remove that.
I then took it to a local shop and had it tuned twice. The car drives very good for a day but then the next day the check engine light comes on and there’s no power whatsoever...
any thoughts??

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...808fe09980.png

andreigbs 02-21-2020 08:52 PM

You’re in “limp home” mode. Go straight back to the shop that did the tune.

Andrei Clopot 02-21-2020 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 7987563)
You’re in “limp home” mode. Go straight back to the shop that did the tune.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...207d6243d.jpeg
I went to the store and used their scanner and here is what was showing me. I’m taking the car back next week and see if this can be fixed. Did anyone run in this kind of issues with their GLK 250??

graham b 04-28-2020 08:07 PM

Full delete

I bought a plug in obd2 module on eBay, full delete, and bought a pipe. I did the software outside of a repair shop, unhooked the computer for DEF, and cleared the codes. Took about 3 hours for the shop to do everything else. I do notice slightly less power off the line, I'm guessing because of the flaps delete. Definitely an increase in fuel economy, my best on a one hour drive being 5.4l/100km, and quite a few hills on the trip. No codes since, and everything has been great. Cost less than $2500 for everything, and would definitely do it again!

graham b 04-29-2020 05:16 PM

Obd2 delete

This was the delete I bought, but I can't find any more like it. It was very easy, maybe 5 minutes and you're done.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a6a0beba05.jpg

ronwp 04-29-2020 06:44 PM

What exactly did you have the shop do? what Pipe did you use and did you remove the DPF and SCR Cat IF you have any photos that would be Nice too.
Thanks

graham b 05-01-2020 04:12 PM

Obd2 delete

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d0abcf2c42.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...da77e25621.jpg
Rawtekinc.com pipe, was under $700 American but almost $1100 Canadian by the time shipping was added. The obd2 full delete was over $1000, I see they have just one available. To apply the obd2 delete was simple, just follow the instructions on your stereo. I had the shop change the exhaust, the old exhaust was given back, with the sensors, and i can probably recoup $500. Here's the link for the delete https://www.ebay.ca/i/233188825627?u...rover%252F2%25

bluecoupe05 05-01-2020 05:01 PM

Has the delete tune resulted in any smoke or diesel smell?

kkarb 05-01-2020 05:17 PM

Done the same on w166 350BT

Hello, I have done the same at my w166 ml350bt. Egr delete, adblue delete, dpf delete and more power. What do you mean with "dpf delete kit"? I kutted my dpf open at the top and removed the filter, than welded together again,

The car run fine. But as i can see so far i have two dovnsides.

1, the exhaust smell / odor is a bit stronger than before,
2, if i drive on highway in 70kmh and press kickdovn (full trottle at once) the car smokes a bit black. No smoke else on normal driving, but at kickdown there is smoke,

do you have the same symptoms?

regards Sweden

kkarb 05-01-2020 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe05 (Post 8044622)
Has the delete tune resulted in any smoke or diesel smell?

i have done this on my w166 ml350bt. No diesel smell, no smoke at normal drving. But on 100% kickdovn it smokes a bit black. The exhaust smell is also stronger, but no diesel smell.

ronwp 05-01-2020 07:41 PM

Did you get any sort of tune with this? i.e Stage 1

kkarb 05-02-2020 04:13 AM

Yes tune included😊

bluecoupe05 05-02-2020 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by kkarb (Post 8044638)
i have done this on my w166 ml350bt. No diesel smell, no smoke at normal drving. But on 100% kickdovn it smokes a bit black. The exhaust smell is also stronger, but no diesel smell.

Thanks KKarb! Did you also use the OBD2 delete tool from E-Bay?

kkarb 05-02-2020 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe05 (Post 8045065)
Thanks KKarb! Did you also use the OBD2 delete tool from E-Bay?

No, it was a local remapper who took care of the software mods. My self only did the machanical job on the exhaust dpf pipe.

bluecoupe05 05-02-2020 09:17 AM

OK thanks Kkarb

graham_b, I’m interested to know if you have any smoke or diesel smell from the tune you purchased from e-bay?

graham b 05-02-2020 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe05 (Post 8045099)
OK thanks Kkarb

graham_b, I’m interested to know if you have any smoke or diesel smell from the tune you purchased from e-bay?

If the wind is the right way you might smell smoke on start up, but overall it's rare i notice it. As far as seeing it, maybe in a cold start on a cold day, but i use a cat diesel at work, and a cold start on a cold day leaves about 30 seconds of heavy white smoke so I'm guessing that's just a cold diesel. Overall mostly smoke and smell free

bluecoupe05 05-02-2020 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by graham b (Post 8045395)
If the wind is the right way you might smell smoke on start up, but overall it's rare i notice it. As far as seeing it, maybe in a cold start on a cold day, but i use a cat diesel at work, and a cold start on a cold day leaves about 30 seconds of heavy white smoke so I'm guessing that's just a cold diesel. Overall mostly smoke and smell free

Nice tune, good to know, thanks!

Mr Bruno 05-08-2020 09:13 AM

Hi,,,,petite question svp,,like to know?

I know it is a old post but i live in quebec,
Would like to know where did you get the job done?
Thank you very much

D'Angelo Murphy 05-13-2020 09:50 AM

Hey! Stefan here, from southeast usa.

I am getting the delete done on my glk250. what can you recommend during this process? also, is there anyway i could get the measurements for the pipe?

look forward to hearing from you!

Cwdawson 05-13-2020 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bruno (Post 8050299)
I know it is a old post but i live in quebec,
Would like to know where did you get the job done?
Thank you very much

most shops should be able to perform the removal and install of the new exhaust, as for the programming get the OBD programmer and an android and do it yourself, my wife did ours and when I go home I’ll change out the exhaust...

Carl Cameron 05-13-2020 05:37 PM

Where did you buy your delete kit from?

Cwdawson 05-13-2020 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Cameron (Post 8055124)
Where did you buy your delete kit from?

ours came from Ecuprogram in Calgary.

D'Angelo Murphy 05-15-2020 12:54 AM

glk250

Originally Posted by Cwdawson (Post 8055156)

well i have a welding friend. i was going to get him to build it

GLK Super Fan 05-16-2020 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cwdawson (Post 8055156)

Good for you man! I am still in love with my DPF delete kit. The car now has over 160 000km, No issues so far every since the delete was completed.

diezmerc8 06-01-2020 07:26 AM

2014 MB E250 (OM651) - EGR/DPF/SCR Termination

1 Attachment(s)
Hello -

I have a dire need to terminate the EGR, DPF, and SCR systems in my 2014 MB E250 (OM651).

I'm hopeful that the kit designed for the GLK 250 mentioned in the GLK 250 thread here will be compatible with my E-Class sedan. See pdf showing current problem and exhaust pictures.

I investigated this last year due to some temporary problems with the DEF system that strangely disappeared with time and following stricter DEF top-off routines. At that time I did not see a good fit solution for my vehicle

Today, my luck is not so good. The crude diagnostics I have available indicate the DPF is clogged and likely one (or more) exhaust sensor malfunctions. The vehicle is currently in limp home mode.

Do you have any advice on preparations for the modification and the maintenance routines that one should follow after the modification?

I live near Charlotte, NC. I am reaching out to several providers within 150-miles to quote the service. It seems like (RawTek/Malone) or (Buzzken/JR) are my options.

I appreciate any information you all have shared on your experience having completing the modification.

andreigbs 06-02-2020 09:55 AM

Most likely your DPF is not plugged; a sensor (or more) thinks that and puts your truck in "limp mode" to protect itself.

I can vouch for OETuning as a good, permanent solution. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. They may provide discounts for MBworld forum members. Currently running their software and couldn't be happier, nothing needs to be chopped off the car either. You just flash the tune in your garage/driveway and you're set. Here's the site and info: https://www.oetuning.com/products/me...glk250-bluetec and I would call or email them to ask about discount before purchasing.

Good luck.

miguex 06-02-2020 01:33 PM

You can order an end-user device for reading/writing files using any android smartphone/tablet (no iPhone for now). it supports MB ecus (EDC17+ and MED17.7+). No need to go to tuner shops. Everything online. http://ecuprogram.com/droid-personal-flasher
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...502ea76b2.jpeg
Andorid MB flasher

diezmerc8 06-02-2020 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by miguex (Post 8071638)
You can order an end-user device for reading/writing files using any android smartphone/tablet (no iPhone for now). it supports MB ecus (EDC17+ and MED17.7+). No need to go to tuner shops. Everything online. http://ecuprogram.com/droid-personal-flasher
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...502ea76b2.jpeg
Andorid MB flasher

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8071425)
Most likely your DPF is not plugged; a sensor (or more) thinks that and puts your truck in "limp mode" to protect itself.

I can vouch for OETuning as a good, permanent solution. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. They may provide discounts for MBworld forum members. Currently running their software and couldn't be happier, nothing needs to be chopped off the car either. You just flash the tune in your garage/driveway and you're set. Here's the site and info: https://www.oetuning.com/products/me...glk250-bluetec and I would call or email them to ask about discount before purchasing.

Good luck.

Thank you for the responses. However, I am skeptical software tune-only solutions. I envision catastrophic failure and fire risk if the DPF is not removed. The engine would have no knowledge of a clogged DPF, correct? I started a thread in the correct category for my sedan here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8071094

Error codes are in attached pdf of initial post there.

glkoffroad 06-22-2020 01:23 PM

rough idle

anyone experiencing a rough (fluctuates up and down) rich idle after this was done? or have to unplug there egr? thanks

GLK Super Fan 06-22-2020 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by glkoffroad (Post 8088215)
anyone experiencing a rough (fluctuates up and down) rich idle after this was done? or have to unplug there egr? thanks

Not after the delete, but when my injector are clogged, i have similar issues in cold start. Once the vehicle warm up, the rough idle will go away

GLK Super Fan 06-22-2020 02:34 PM

Just want to give you guys an update regarding on the delete that I completed.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a6ad65cb8f.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bc1c9bf762.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...07d2f26afd.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4406351496.jpg

No issues with the delete so far except rough idle during the cold start. I believe that something to do with my injectors are getting clogged. I am currently having a leak in my brake system. I am gonna get Sam to check it out and get the leak repair. Other than that GLK still running strong :)

glkoffroad 06-23-2020 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 8088259)
Just want to give you guys an update regarding on the delete that I completed.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a6ad65cb8f.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bc1c9bf762.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...07d2f26afd.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4406351496.jpg

No issues with the delete so far except rough idle during the cold start. I believe that something to do with my injectors are getting clogged. I am currently having a leak in my brake system. I am gonna get Sam to check it out and get the leak repair. Other than that GLK still running strong :)

keep me posted. my rough idle started immediately after tune and I cant figure it out. I tried to p.m u but cant.

Nic Nic 06-29-2020 07:44 PM

Dpf/egr

I'm in toronto, Canada.
Glk250 with 210km or so now.

Ready to do the dpf delete!

Anyone local that can take care of it for me?

If not, what are the best steps to make this happen??

Thanks!

sainath 06-30-2020 01:59 PM

Hi,
I am in same boat - in GTA and looking for same info.
Thanks

EN Tizik 09-19-2020 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 8088235)
Not after the delete, but when my injector are clogged, i have similar issues in cold start. Once the vehicle warm up, the rough idle will go away

I had my GLK 250 ECU DPF remapped by a Benz tuner in Toronto and the next day it had a rough start with the cold engine, and now it takes a couple cranks every morning to get going. I'm wondering if it the injectors or fuel filter ....any thoughts?

I ordered a new filter which I will put in this week and now am considering repiping the DPF altogether or boring out the filter itself.

glkoffroad 09-21-2020 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=EN Tizik;8160726]I had my GLK 250 ECU DPF remapped by a Benz tuner in Toronto and the next day it had a rough start with the cold engine, and now it takes a couple cranks every morning to get going. I'm wondering if it the injectors or fuel filter ....any thoughts?

I ordered a new filter which I will put in this week and now am considering repiping the DPF altogether or boring out

it's the tune. get them to re work the tune.

C300fan2 09-30-2020 12:13 PM

Well I made the jump. Got the Stage 1 tune with full delete. Waiting for the hardware to be removed now. Looking forward to my GLK with no NOx, DPF, AdBlue issues for many years to come.

C300fan2 09-30-2020 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by graham b (Post 8044559)
Rawtekinc.com pipe, was under $700 American but almost $1100 Canadian by the time shipping was added. The obd2 full delete was over $1000, I see they have just one available. To apply the obd2 delete was simple, just follow the instructions on your stereo. I had the shop change the exhaust, the old exhaust was given back, with the sensors, and i can probably recoup $500. Here's the link for the delete https://www.ebay.ca/i/233188825627?u...rover%252F2%25

How much did the shop charge you to switch out the exhaust?

sainath 09-30-2020 02:23 PM

Hi,
Can you please share where did you get Stage 1 tune with full delete done?

Thanks

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8168559)
Well I made the jump. Got the Stage 1 tune with full delete. Waiting for the hardware to be removed now. Looking forward to my GLK with no NOx, DPF, AdBlue issues for many years to come.

andreigbs 09-30-2020 02:45 PM

I'm sticking with the software tune only, no real reason to chop off parts. In case I ever want/need to revert back to stock, it's just a 5 minute ECU read/write.

I did just empty my DEF tank though, drained probably 6 gallons of the stuff. Any bit of weight savings is a win in my book.

C300fan2 09-30-2020 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8168670)
I'm sticking with the software tune only, no real reason to chop off parts. In case I ever want/need to revert back to stock, it's just a 5 minute ECU read/write.

I did just empty my DEF tank though, drained probably 6 gallons of the stuff. Any bit of weight savings is a win in my book.

I was told by many people who work on these cars and do deletes etc not to go that route. The DPF builds back pressure and over time destroys your engine. Good idea emptying the tank. Will do that too. I just filled it a month ago!

C300fan2 09-30-2020 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by sainath (Post 8168653)
Hi,
Can you please share where did you get Stage 1 tune with full delete done?

Thanks

I got it done by a private tuner in Vancouver that specializes in Mercedes. But there are shops in Calgary and Richmond that do it for you as well. Also OEtuning from Cali.

andreigbs 09-30-2020 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8168715)
I was told by many people who work on these cars and do deletes etc not to go that route. The DPF builds back pressure and over time destroys your engine.

I don’t think that’s true, since regens occur even with the tune. Back pressure would build only if the DPF can’t complete its regens.

Monitoring the DPF pressure differential for the past year reveals a 0.1 PSI difference. That is to say, none.

C300fan2 09-30-2020 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8168826)
I don’t think that’s true, since regens occur even with the tune. Back pressure would build only if the DPF can’t complete its regens.

Monitoring the DPF pressure differential for the past year reveals a 0.1 PSI difference. That is to say, none.

Ah well I did a full delete with my tune so I better take it all out! :)

sainath 10-01-2020 08:49 AM

Thank you
I am in Ontario so if you or anyone have any information that would be helpful.

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8168717)
I got it done by a private tuner in Vancouver that specializes in Mercedes. But there are shops in Calgary and Richmond that do it for you as well. Also OEtuning from Cali.

andreigbs 10-01-2020 08:51 AM

Keep in mind that there are tuners and tuners out there. I've read many horror stories about tuners who don't know what they're doing. Many don't spend the time to understand what the fuel/boost/injection/timing/et al settings really do and how they interact at various RPM and engine load. A lot of them just take shortcuts and basically bump up all the settings across the board to make more power without understanding potential consequences.

To make matters worse, some tuners disable important safety items to prevent any error codes from popping up ever again. I heard recently from an expert in the field that he found a tune with more than 1400 individual trouble codes disabled in a vehicle. It ran like crap but never lit up the CEL, and the poor owner had no idea what was going on or where to start fixing since the ECU wasn't spitting out any codes.

Just making the point that quality is important, and not all tuners are on the up and up. YMMV...

sainath 10-02-2020 08:19 AM

Very good point. That's why i appreciate if someone can recommend tuner in Ontario.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8169099)
Keep in mind that there are tuners and tuners out there. I've read many horror stories about tuners who don't know what they're doing. Many don't spend the time to understand what the fuel/boost/injection/timing/et al settings really do and how they interact at various RPM and engine load. A lot of them just take shortcuts and basically bump up all the settings across the board to make more power without understanding potential consequences.

To make matters worse, some tuners disable important safety items to prevent any error codes from popping up ever again. I heard recently from an expert in the field that he found a tune with more than 1400 individual trouble codes disabled in a vehicle. It ran like crap but never lit up the CEL, and the poor owner had no idea what was going on or where to start fixing since the ECU wasn't spitting out any codes.

Just making the point that quality is important, and not all tuners are on the up and up. YMMV...

Peter V 10-04-2020 06:04 PM

Do you know of a shop in BC that does this kind of modification?

Peter V 10-04-2020 06:38 PM

Which one is the shop that you did it at?

Peter V 10-04-2020 06:45 PM

Any shops that do this in Vancouver?

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8168717)

Please recommend me that or some other Vancouver area shop you know does this.

C300fan2 10-04-2020 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peter V (Post 8171527)
Please recommend me that or some other Vancouver area shop you know does this.

these guys do it:
http://euroselected.ca/
I think the whole thing will be 2700$ from them.

C300fan2 10-13-2020 07:28 PM

Well I finished the job and did the pipe today. Took about 3 hours. A lift would have helped but I used ramps for the front and jacked up the back. Hardest part was removing the ring above the DPF that holds the two pipes together. Hard to reach and a long screw. Getting it back in was easier since there is no filter in the way so you have more room for your hands to work. You need to do one cut to the old pipe near the rear of the vehicle before the mufflers. I used a reciprocating saw with a 6" blade for metal, it went through like butter. All sensors under the car attached to the old system are removed/disconnected. Will update if anything comes up.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...eb27e5e99.jpeg

Tims350 10-21-2020 08:27 PM

Here's the inside of a 2013 ML 350 Bluetec DPF. There are two distinct yet identical sections of filtration material, that suggests they have different functions.

I once read that the Mercedes DPF is a combined Diesel Particulate Filter and Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC). In systems that have a separate DPF and DOC, the DOC is the first in the stream followed by the DPF. According to that logic, could it be that the upstream section (right, flange side) is the DOC area, and the left the DPF section? If so, would it be worth preserving the DOC (to cut down on odor) while removing the DPF material only?
​​​​​​​
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9cb33de9a5.jpg

Tims350 10-24-2020 12:45 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...393c5d9ea0.jpg
This seems to support my suspicions.

ramo80 10-24-2020 01:01 PM

Has anyone figured out the rough idle at cold start issue yet. I had my software only delete done 6 months ago and cold idle is still rough. I change file filter and nothing changed. Any help would be appreciated.

GLK Super Fan 10-24-2020 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ramo80 (Post 8186656)
Has anyone figured out the rough idle at cold start issue yet. I had my software only delete done 6 months ago and cold idle is still rough. I change file filter and nothing changed. Any help would be appreciated.

It your injectors.

andreigbs 10-26-2020 09:34 AM

I would run some concentrated fuel system cleaner, straight from the bottle. Look up LM Diesel Purge. I've run it twice in 122K miles, no rough idling here.

There's also a Stanadyne fuel system cleaner you can add to the tank. Run it repeatedly for a few tanks and things may improve. Hopefully you don't need new injectors...

glkoffroad 10-26-2020 09:49 AM

I had a brutal rough idle only when cold. it was the flash. had flash removed and all was good.

andreigbs 10-26-2020 01:37 PM

Agreed, if you didn't have rough idle issues before a tune/flash, then it's most likely the tune. No such issues for me, before or since OETuning flash.

The GLK is simply a beast.

C300fan2 10-26-2020 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ramo80 (Post 8186656)

This is what I would do:

Go back to tuner, let car cool completely. Get them to flash your original code, takes 3 minutes. Start the car, is the rough start gone?
If it is tell the tuner to redo it or give you your money back and get it somewhere else.
If the rough start continues then tell him to reflash the tune and thank them for their time and help.
Then you can move forward after that.

Dont spend ANY money until you determine the tune is not the problem.

ramo80 10-27-2020 11:47 AM

I used the injector cleaner and it was like magic. Its idles perfectly fine now. That was amazing.

glkoffroad 10-27-2020 08:57 PM

wow. that surprises me. what kind? great news

ramo80 10-29-2020 10:35 AM

This is what my mechanic used

https://www.bluechemgroup.com/en/pro...ystem-cleaner/

Tims350 10-30-2020 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tims350 (Post 8184605)
Here's the inside of a 2013 ML 350 Bluetec DPF. There are two distinct yet identical sections of filtration material, that suggests they have different functions.

I once read that the Mercedes DPF is a combined Diesel Particulate Filter and Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC). In systems that have a separate DPF and DOC, the DOC is the first in the stream followed by the DPF. According to that logic, could it be that the upstream section (right, flange side) is the DOC area, and the left the DPF section? If so, would it be worth preserving the DOC (to cut down on odor) while removing the DPF material only?

I feel like a discussion of preserving the internal DOC would contribute greatly to this modification. And, this seems like the preeminent thread on the topic, so I'm bumping it in hopes that we might encounter some ideas!

Thanks for considering.
--Tim
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0e192838e0.jpg

​​​​​​​

sturmgeshutz 10-31-2020 09:55 AM

Hey Super Fan. You mentioned you had rough idle after your dpf tune, and you said it was your injectors? Were you also having to crank it over a couple times when the injectors were plugged? Perhaps thats the problem I'm having now.

cheer sturm

GLK Super Fan 11-03-2020 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by sturmgeshutz (Post 8192020)
Hey Super Fan. You mentioned you had rough idle after your dpf tune, and you said it was your injectors? Were you also having to crank it over a couple times when the injectors were plugged? Perhaps thats the problem I'm having now.

cheer sturm

Nope. It always start the first time until recently, it happened twice that needs a second try. But i think mine is the battery.

Josblos 11-14-2020 08:30 AM

Dpf delete

Bonjour, j'aimerais savoir si vous avez fait la modification et le tuning malone stage 1. Si oui, pouvez-vous me dire si vous êtes satisfait avec le stage 1 et me dire les avantages, économie d'essence. Je prévois faire la modification et j'hésite a prendre le stage 1 ou le stock. Il y a une différence de 500$ entre les deux. Merci

Josblos 11-14-2020 10:40 AM

Bonjour, Quel garage à Québec, je pense faire le mien. Merci

fernweh 11-22-2020 02:45 PM

DPF delete

Easy work on a sunny Sunday morning. I should have the Rawtek pipes in my hand by next week, and removed the original exhaust pipe today
I have disconnected all the sensor cables from their thru-connectors. What would be the best termination for those open connections?

https://up.picr.de/39926636vg.jpg

ronwp 11-22-2020 03:22 PM

I just packed the connector with Dielectric Grease, and wrapped in a small Ziplock bag which I then Ziptied closed and attached it to the car.

fernweh 11-22-2020 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ronwp (Post 8208358)
I just packed the connector with Dielectric Grease, and wrapped in a small Ziplock bag which I then Ziptied closed and attached it to the car.

Thank you, did you remove all the cables, including the "inter-connect", as I did?

https://up.picr.de/39927741iv.jpg

ronwp 11-22-2020 03:40 PM

Yes I did, I have everything that I removed kept in storage in case I need to refit. it's been a few months now since I did this and it is running really well. I'm going to wait for about a year and will then sell what I took off. PM me if you have any questions.

C300fan2 11-22-2020 06:06 PM

So I removed all this about a month ago and installed the new full bypass pipe. Im having a small issue. When the car is completely cold overnight or not driven for a while, when I start it and drive or rev I can hear a wind whistle until it warms up a bit, like 5 min. Only happens at certain load or RPM and It sounds like airflow/whistle from something not sealed properly.
Only started immediately after putting in the new pipe. I thought it might be the connection with the new pipe and the old system above where the DPF used to be so i tried putting some exhaust sealant between the two pipes but no joy. Still getting a whistle. Anyone had the same problem or any ideas? Maybe the flex pipe in the new exhaust pipe is not good and seals once it warms up and expands a bit.
Its super annoying.

Gazwould 11-23-2020 01:48 AM

Turbo whistle that the dpf previously muted ?

C300fan2 11-23-2020 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gazwould (Post 8208704)
Turbo whistle that the dpf previously muted ?

Hard to explain but doesn’t sound like turbo. Not a high pitch whine and it fluctuates like airflow over literally a gap or whistle.

ronwp 11-25-2020 08:06 PM

This is the photo for Fernweh

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9b545cff2.jpeg

fernweh 11-25-2020 09:15 PM

Thank you again, I will deal with it later when i find some suitable plugs.
Anyhow, I have complete the exhaust delete. It was a bit more work than I had figured in the beginning. I had flashed the ECU earlier with a Stage 0 file from Ecuprogram and started the engine for the first time, while still on jack stands.
It fired up immediately, run smooth with an idle around 750 rpm....no errors and no weird noises.

Thank you guys for all your posts, creating a smooth sailing for me.

Josblos 11-26-2020 01:08 PM

N'enlevez pas le premier catalyseur, ca été une grosse erreur. Achetez le tuyau Rawtec cela évitera de couper la flenge du DPF pour le souder au nouveau tuyau. Le premier catalyseur a été remis en place.

Josblos 11-26-2020 07:48 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...60df71907c.jpg

Ruo Yu Zhang 12-08-2020 12:07 AM

I have exactly the same whistle sound as you described after a cold start. I used the rawtech kit with malone tuning. I don't have any issues except the whistle sound, I had about 2000km after the change. Hope that is not an issue.

C300fan2 12-08-2020 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ruo Yu Zhang (Post 8219722)
I have exactly the same whistle sound as you described after a cold start. I used the rawtech kit with malone tuning. I don't have any issues except the whistle sound, I had about 2000km after the change. Hope that is not an issue.

where are you located? I’m thinking it’s the joint between the new pipe and the old pipe or the flex pipe they welded poorly. Whatever causing the whistle obviously expands as soon as it’s warm and seals the system. It’s really bothering me. Please let me know if you figure anything out.

I am going to test it today. I will use a heat gun to warm up just the flex pipe and then the connection and test it. I have a feeling its the cheap flex pipe.

15GLK250 12-10-2020 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8219735)
where are you located? I’m thinking it’s the joint between the new pipe and the old pipe or the flex pipe they welded poorly. Whatever causing the whistle obviously expands as soon as it’s warm and seals the system. It’s really bothering me. Please let me know if you figure anything out.

I am going to test it today. I will use a heat gun to warm up just the flex pipe and then the connection and test it. I have a feeling its the cheap flex pipe.

Any luck with testing this out? I'm currently thinking of ordering the Rawtek delete pipe, and was thinking of doing a Malone factory tune which would remove SCR ADBLUE AND DPF codes from ECU.
Noticed you are out in Vancouver! Nice to see a fellow Glk250 owner with a delete in the YVR!!!

C300fan2 12-10-2020 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 15GLK250 (Post 8221673)
Any luck with testing this out? I'm currently thinking of ordering the Rawtek delete pipe, and was thinking of doing a Malone factory tune which would remove SCR ADBLUE AND DPF codes from ECU.
Noticed you are out in Vancouver! Nice to see a fellow Glk250 owner with a delete in the YVR!!!

Heated up the flex pipe and noise still there. Took it to a muffler shop and the guy was confident its the connection flange on the Rawtek pipe is not exact as the stock flange. He said he has seen this many times before with this type of connection. He said unless you put the stock connection back on you are pretty much screwed. Quite annoyed this pipe cost me 900$ and it is not perfect.
Im at my wits end with this whistle and am thinking of taking it down and putting a **** ton of exhaust sealant around it and see what happens.

andreigbs 12-10-2020 03:34 PM

Maybe you guys could try some exhaust wrap? Cheap and easy.

This is one (of several) reason I chose NOT to delete the DPF or any other hardware. I don't mind regens, I just hate the SCR system which is the weakest link.

Hope you figure it out.

15GLK250 12-10-2020 03:35 PM

Thats very unfortunate as I am close to pulling the trigger to get the kit from Rawtek close to $1000 shipped to Vancouver. The work they do looks amazing, have you tried reaching out to them? If i remember correctly, the owner of Rawtek has a GLK that he put this exhaust on.

C300fan2 12-10-2020 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8221707)
Maybe you guys could try some exhaust wrap? Cheap and easy.

This is one (of several) reason I chose NOT to delete the DPF or any other hardware. I don't mind regens, I just hate the SCR system which is the weakest link.

Hope you figure it out.

Thats a good idea. I will try exhaust wrap next.

Josblos 12-12-2020 03:48 PM

Bonjour, Si c'est vraiment le bout du tuyau qui est mal conçu, fait couper le bout du tuyau du dpf et faites le souder au tuyau rawtek. Dans mon cas, je n'ai pas de problème avec un sifflet. Je viens d'expédier mon ECU chez Malone pour obtenir le stage 1. Le programmeur de Québec n'était pas assez compétent pour l'installer correctement.

J'ai également une petite question pour ceux qui ont fait la suppression. Avez-vous déconnecté l'ordinateur qui se trouve dans le coffre au centre sous tous les trucs? Avez-vous déconnecté les prise au niveau moteur des sondes qui ne sont plus utilisées?

Merci

fernweh 12-12-2020 04:00 PM

The Rawtek delete pipes were fitting perfectly, however I had removed everything up to the turbo, and moved all the pipes around while slowly tighten the clamps,
so all the pipe joints were seating nicely & tight.

C300fan2 12-15-2020 11:17 AM

C300fan2 12-15-2020 11:31 AM

Piotr Kubiak 12-15-2020 12:02 PM

Im in Langley myself
2014 glk 250 with 120k km

Can you take a die grinder in grind out that lip?
If yocan feel it with your fingers should be enough room for a flex shaft grinder just 0.02 cents

C300fan2 12-15-2020 12:06 PM

2014 GLK 250 115K KM for me. In Vancouver.
Maybe but I dont have that tool. Next maybe ill get a mechanics stethoscope to try to pinpoint it.

Josblos 12-16-2020 06:24 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...15ce3a5876.jpg
Do you un plug all of this?

C300fan2 12-16-2020 11:17 AM

I know The SCR in the trunk was unplugged by the guy who did the tune and everything under the car to the old pipe, but Im not sure about the EGR and Swirl Flap. Where are those located?

Josblos 12-16-2020 12:50 PM

Me, following the removal of the DPF, I had to send my ECU directly to Malone Tunning. The people there are great. I had very good service and my ECU was returned within two days. Malone Tunning is a benchmark and I recommend it.
I opted for stage 1 and is very good différence. Just perfect.

C300fan2 12-16-2020 01:43 PM

But did you unplug the EGR and Swirl Flaps? If so where did you unplug them?

Gazwould 12-16-2020 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josblos (Post 8226098)
Me, following the removal of the DPF, I had to send my ECU directly to Malone Tunning. The people there are great. I had very good service and my ECU was returned within two days. Malone Tunning is a benchmark and I recommend it.
I opted for stage 1 and is very good différence. Just perfect.

Before and after dyno ?

Josblos 12-16-2020 03:48 PM

Not Dyno, Just tune ECU

Josblos 12-16-2020 03:50 PM

The box in the trunk was disconnected as well as the probes connected to the DPF. The sensors which are on the first catalyst are always connected as well as the EGR. I only asked the question whether other people had also unplugged the EGR. The document provided is general for anyone who removes the DPF. Do you have to unplug the egr too? I do not know.

C300fan2 12-16-2020 03:52 PM

Ok I had the same done. But the document says to unplug the ERG and Swirl Flaps. I dont think that was done on mine.

Josblos 12-16-2020 03:54 PM

I found where the EGR is located but the socket seems well hidden for access

C300fan2 12-16-2020 03:55 PM

If you disconnect it please post instructions and location! Thanks

andreigbs 12-16-2020 03:57 PM

That document states to unplug the EGR, which will be under the hood. Look for it near/around/under the plastic intake manifold (driver side).

Josblos 12-16-2020 04:20 PM

I check them but it is not simple what is the plug.

C300fan2 12-18-2020 01:13 PM

MBnewbie2020 12-20-2020 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Josblos (Post 8225867)

do you put it back after?

ramo80 02-26-2021 10:54 PM

Dealer detection

Hey guys.

I got a notice in the mail that I need my airbags swapped. I’m just concerned if I took my car to the dealer and they plug their computer in they would revert my time back. Is this something that could happen. Should I be concerned about that.

thanks

Josblos 02-27-2021 06:14 AM

J'ai fait faire cette réparation et je n'ai eu aucun problème. Par crainte, J'ai dit au gars du service de ne pas toucher a la programmation. Tout a bien été.

GLK Super Fan 02-28-2021 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ramo80 (Post 8280330)
Hey guys.

I got a notice in the mail that I need my airbags swapped. I’m just concerned if I took my car to the dealer and they plug their computer in they would revert my time back. Is this something that could happen. Should I be concerned about that.

thanks

The recall should have nothing to do with the ecu tune. I doubt the dealer will spend an hr flash the ecu for u for free lol

andreigbs 03-01-2021 10:04 AM

Mine had the airbag recall AND the steering bolt recall work, two separate occasions, no issues with it being tuned (in other words, they don't check).

Now when they call you in for the "fix" that'll be a different story.

GLK Super Fan 03-01-2021 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8281907)
Mine had the airbag recall AND the steering bolt recall work, two separate occasions, no issues with it being tuned (in other words, they don't check).

Now when they call you in for the "fix" that'll be a different story.

QUOTEDo you have any issues after the steering bolt recall? Did they redo the alignment for you?

I am still debating if i should do the recall.

andreigbs 03-01-2021 04:33 PM

They did in fact check the alignment after the bolt was replaced, it was adjusted accordingly.

They also noted the RF tie rod has a bit of play and will need replacing. No charge on alignment, no other issues.

geoglk 03-09-2021 05:52 PM

Is there any difference between the JR and Malone tune? The main thing I want to know is if the egr and swirl flaps get disabled on the JR tune. I am aware the Malone tune does disable the egr and swirl flaps. Also can you buy the buzzken pipe and use the Malone tune with it or the Rawtek pipe with the JR tune? Or, do you have to use the Rawtek pipe with the Malone tune and the buzzken pipe with the JR tune? I am asking because from what I see pictures of, the pipes that are available look identical to one another. if that is the case ill buy a pipe and pick out whatever tune I see that I would like to get. I just want clarification on this headache situation.

C300fan2 03-09-2021 08:57 PM

I dont think the Pipe matters at all. I just updated my software with a tune from OE Tuning. Running better, better MPG, and EGR is off like I wanted. Pretty easy to do yourself too. I needed to get a proper battery charger to do the update though. They recommend minimum 10A, but optimally 30A while you do the ECU update.

andreigbs 03-10-2021 10:24 AM

I needed to get a proper battery charger to do the update though.

I made sure to hook up my Noco trickle charger before doing the reading/rewriting. I'm on the original 2014 battery, and I know it's weak. You don't want power issues while coding new software.

Also correct: it doesn't matter the brand of exhaust pipe. What matters is the tune. With the OETuning software, the car will still do regens when it thinks it needs them. If you remove hardware, you have to have a tune that stops any/all regens because without a DPF in place, you're likely to burn a hole in your new exhaust.

The best route, IMO, is to not need surgery on the car which isn't really reversible, whereas a tune is. Plus it's cheaper.

ConnorZ 03-24-2021 03:37 PM

I want to install the pipe myself and have the ECU done by a shop, It is my understanding that you cant flash it yourself and need to remove the ECU and take it to a shop.

I am in Toronto, can anyone recommend a shop nearby?

C300fan2 03-24-2021 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ConnorZ (Post 8300240)
I want to install the pipe myself and have the ECU done by a shop, It is my understanding that you cant flash it yourself and need to remove the ECU and take it to a shop.

That is not correct. OETuning sends you a module that reads your current ECU, sends the file to them, they modify it and send it back to you, you plug the module back into your car and It re programs the ECU. It is actually nice because the module will have both files on it and you can swap them if you want.

Josblos 03-24-2021 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ConnorZ (Post 8300240)

Bonjour, dans mon cas, je suis de Québec et j'ai envoyé l'ECU directement chez Malone en Colombie-Britanique avec Fed-Ex. Au total, ca pris trois jours et je reposais l'ECU dans mon véhicule. Tout a bien fonctionné et j'aime le tunning Malone. stage 1.

andreigbs 03-24-2021 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8300249)
That is not correct. OETuning sends you a module that reads your current ECU, sends the file to them, they modify it and send it back to you, you plug the module back into your car and It re programs the ECU. It is actually nice because the module will have both files on it and you can swap them if you want.

Best option by FAR! Especially for those of us who will be switching back to stock in order to take advantage of MB's emissions fix and extended warranty.

Again, my condolences to our Cannuck members...

ramo80 04-01-2021 03:53 PM

are you guys keeping your cars modified or will you get it unmodified by the dealer since they are replacing all emission items as part of the recall.

artim808 04-01-2021 03:58 PM

You can’t go to dealer with modification for emission recall. They will refuse to do recall if you have any emissions related modifications

ramo80 04-01-2021 04:06 PM

I think many of us just did the programming change. At least I did. I didn't remove the DPF or modify my exhaust. Everything is as it was from the dealer except for the programming and the unplugging of the AdBlue Module. I can easily go back to the guy who programmed it and have him return it to factory programming. I mean I know as part of the recall Mercedes will install their own new software upgrade so i don't know if i need to go back to the guy or not. 4 years of warranty and a couple of grand don't seem like a bad deal to be honest.

artim808 04-01-2021 04:23 PM

I you haven’t deleted EGR or DPF and only mod you have is software I wouldn’t worry then. Just plug back the adblue module so everything looks stock and you should be good.

andreigbs 04-01-2021 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ramo80 (Post 8305950)
I think many of us just did the programming change. At least I did.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the early adopters of "deletes" actually cut off and removed hardware along with the software changes. This is likely because the tuners weren't the savviest when it comes to adjusting parameters vs turning them all off. For example, some tuners can do dynamic EGR setting to where the EGR stays open long enough to warm up the engine sooner, then it shuts it off.

Tuning is an art and a science, and not everybody is good at both. For those who have already hacked off pipes and filters and such, there is no remedy available unless they return the vehicle to stock.

For those of who us only did a soft delete (software only) and have the ability to revert back to stock "on the fly," it's quick and painless. Plus, once you get the car back from the dealership who does the recall, you can put your performance tune back on (at least I think so, I need to confirm with @OETuning).

fernweh 04-01-2021 05:47 PM

I am happy with my delete and do not need the Mercedes recall repair, as I feel the engine is just fine with all the items removed. I had removed all items correctly, nothing to be cut or chopped off, and stored for???
Being in a place with no emission testing, might put me into a different situation than other Bluetec pilots.

Peter V 04-28-2021 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8221712)
Thats a good idea. I will try exhaust wrap next.

Hello
I did my replacement with same rawtec pipes everything fit tight an nicely but it apparently has same quality problems as it generates same dull whistling sound that seems to vary with engine rotation really annoying as it wasn't before and it's not the diesel sound; I can hear outside and from inside till 60 km/h.
Did you fix it somehow with exahaust wrap or sealant or at least did you identify from where it comes?

RyanKelvin 06-03-2021 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8289024)
[/color]

I made sure to hook up my Noco trickle charger before doing the reading/rewriting. I'm on the original 2014 battery, and I know it's weak. You don't want power issues while coding new software.

Also correct: it doesn't matter the brand of exhaust pipe. What matters is the tune. With the OETuning software, the car will still do regens when it thinks it needs them. If you remove hardware, you have to have a tune that stops any/all regens because without a DPF in place, you're likely to burn a hole in your new exhaust.

The best route, IMO, is to not need surgery on the car which isn't really reversible, whereas a tune is. Plus it's cheaper.

To be clear, would a software bypass pretty well guarantee no future problems with the emissions system (as far as having to replace the DEF heater, nox sensors, etc.)? I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a 250, but terrified of having a $$$ repair bill come up shortly after buying. For what it's worth, the car is a 2015 with 77k miles on it. Thank you!

C300fan2 06-03-2021 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RyanKelvin (Post 8350350)
To be clear, would a software bypass pretty well guarantee no future problems with the emissions system (as far as having to replace the DEF heater, nox sensors, etc.)? I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a 250, but terrified of having a $$$ repair bill come up shortly after buying. For what it's worth, the car is a 2015 with 77k miles on it. Thank you!

yes the software will disable the entire system. You will never have problems with it again if you disable the entire system.

Some leave the factory hardware in while some take it out.

I took mine out but as you can read that can cause whistle noise issues as the replacement pipe connection is not perfect.

i live with the slight whistle that goes away after a few min.

I also wanted the DPF to be taken out because that is what clogs and causes too much back pressure in the engine.

There is another user that says the dpf regens can still happen with the tune and you leave the system in. I don’t want to risk it. Straight flow for me no DPF.

kajtek1 06-03-2021 11:10 PM

You chose to not disclosure your location, but in USA with Bluetec settlement - those vehicles just got 4 years extended warranty on whole emission system and most of engine parts.
Mine friend just bought 1 with no AEM performed yet, so he will claim $2,600 to 3,500 when after the AEM is done.
Don't know if it will work the same on GLK, but I sold my 2008 E320 Bluetec to neighbor.
He put straight exhaust in it hoping for more pimping, but the fumes were giving him headaches, so he brings it back to factory standarts.

andreigbs 06-03-2021 11:24 PM

Yes, a good tune will prevent future issues. But since the emissions recall applies to that 2015, why not get it fixed ASAP and then enjoy 4yrs/48k miles warranty on not just the emissions system, but also the turbo, fuel system, EGR, engine internals and many other parts?

You can always tune it afterwards too…

jrmelny 08-03-2021 12:51 PM

Got it done as well

Got my 2013 GLK 250 with 120k KM's deleted and tuned and I honestly can't believe how much better it is. Sam at ECU programming in Calgary said it has 240hp and 430 pounds of torque now and it sure feels like it. Pretty excited to not have to worry about that garbage emissions system anymore. I have a 2018 440i gran coupe M performance and I almost have as much fun in my GLK now.

dbellefeuille 08-08-2021 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by jrmelny (Post 8388158)
Got my 2013 GLK 250 with 120k KM's deleted and tuned and I honestly can't believe how much better it is. Sam at ECU programming in Calgary said it has 240hp and 430 pounds of torque now and it sure feels like it. Pretty excited to not have to worry about that garbage emissions system anymore. I have a 2018 440i gran coupe M performance and I almost have as much fun in my GLK now.

send me a message, I’m in Red Deer and looking to have this done but sams shop is closed around my days off

arocarty 08-10-2021 02:38 PM

Hi Andreigbs - did you redo the tune after the mods? If so, did it bring it back to the HP and torque as before? Thx.

andreigbs 08-10-2021 05:19 PM

@arocarty Not yet, although I'm tempted to. Need to confirm with OETuning if I can update my flash loader with the new stock software first, since it currently has the original software and if I revert to that programming, the MB stealer would know something is up.

As soon as I can get my new stock software put on the flash load tool, I will go back to tuned. When I do, I expect more power than before, since I had a busted intercooler boost pipe that was letting out most of the boost. The only concern I have is that I wasn't getting any "insufficient boost" codes, which I need to get clarification on from OETuning (ie, does their software resort to set values and ignores the dynamic/real values).

karmikan 08-29-2021 08:01 PM

Ok, I know that my current situation is old news for you guys in the US with the nice Benz recall but our Canadian lawsuit is moving at a glacial pace. I'm assuming that it will be resolved at some point but maybe not soon enough to prevent me from pulling ALL of my hair out. Here's my problem -

2015 GLK250 - Got a CEL 2002 (DPF soot content above threshold) about a year ago, cleared it but it returned about a month ago. It's been coming back every 100 km or so since then. Passive regens are happening when they should, soot content is very low after regen and the DPF pressure sensor reads normal.
After some research I took the car out with my Autel reading live data. I scrolled to the Nox sensors which both read "not operational". So why the didn't I get a Nox sensor 2200 error? This stuff is just a minefield and it's not certain that Nox sensors are causing the 2002 code. Nox sensors are crazy expensive and, from what I understand, new ones need to be coded to the car by the stealer so DIY is not much of an option.

From where I am right now, an OE tune with Adblue delete seems to be my best approach. It hopefully would prevent an endless cycle of chasing CELs and codes If/when the Canadian suit comes through I can revert back to my original tune before the recall then go from there. But if there's a simple solution that I've overlooked it would be nice to know.

I'd appreciate any perspectives on any of the above

Josblos 08-30-2021 06:59 PM

Moi, j'ai fait faire la suppression dpf plus la programmation stage 1 par malone tuning. Depuis, plus aucun problème et j'ai toute mes pièces pour un retour a l'origine. J'ai envoyé mon ordinateur par fedex et recu en 3 jours. Tres fiable comme programmation et tres connu dans ce métier. A vous de voir.

bluetecburp 09-26-2021 03:40 PM

DPF clogged

Dealer wanted $2500 to replace filter. I put a can of diesel purge in a half full fuel tank, cel light went out within 100km. 1000km later still not on.

karmikan 09-29-2021 12:31 AM

So I went ahead with OE Tune and my results were (to put it kindly) mixed. OE have been recommended here and elsewhere and my initial interactions were quite positive. I asked for a standard tune with an Adblue delete and along came the MyGenius transfer device and an email containing the MyGenius client software with instructions. I uploaded my engine tune, sent it off to OE and received my tuned file by email the next day. All good so far.

When I tried to open the software again to load MyGenius with the new tuned file I got a virus alert "Heur.AdvML.C" from Norton anti-virus. Deleted the file and re-installed it but got the same warning. OE told me that it was probably a false positive so I did some research and it seems that "Heur.AdvML.C" is a Norton machine learning algorithm that predicts the characteristics of a virus. One interesting comment I read was "usually caused by poorly-written software". I temporarily disabled Norton, downloaded and re-installed the MyGenius software. Then a new problem cropped up, the software couldn't talk to the device. Ryan at OE found and installed a couple of drivers which hadn't auto-loaded for some reason and this allowed the device to accept the tuned file from the app.

Loading the tuned file to the car was straightforward but the load did not exactly follow the documentation. Instead of seeing ORIGINAL and MODIFIED files as the documentation states, I got a message "Log file generated". The device now only contains the tuned file and nothing else. This defeats the purpose of getting the MyGenius device because a trip to the dealer (recalls etc.) will require a reversion to the original tune which I can't do as it's no longer on the device. When I told OE the response was "if the car starts and runs, the tune loaded correctly". Well no it didn't. After 3 weeks of fruitless back and forth with OE it seems that I've been put on the PITA shelf because they've stopped responding.

As for the tune, the CEL has not come back, there's a slight raspy sound from the engine at certain revs, the tranny seems to upshift earlier and downshift later at low revs, there's no discernable increase in performance or fuel economy. The bottom line is that I got some of what I needed but not all. What I did get in spades was frustration and a sneaky feeling that the tune I received is somehow sub-optimal. Maybe the Canadian version of the US emissions recall will come in time to make this little adventure meaningless.

GLK Super Fan 09-29-2021 02:15 AM

I don't know why you didn't choose Sam @ ECU program. He done it so many times now and all his reviews are positive. I was one of the first few in Calgary that got it done and as of today, the car still running strong. Maybe is the price difference, but sometimes you pay for what you get.

andreigbs 09-29-2021 10:14 AM

sometimes you pay for what you get.

You ALWAYS pay for what you get; sometimes you get what you pay for. Big difference.

As for your experience with OETuning @karmikan I'm sorry to hear you had difficulties with the loading and setup of the tune. When I got mine two years ago, it worked straightforward out of the box so to speak. I didn't have any issues installing the MyGenius software to my little $100 Lenovo. I simply updated the device as the instructions said, then downloaded my existing OEM ECU software and emailed it off. Two days later I got back my original file as the backup and the modified tune as well. I saved both to the MyGenius device and confirmed they were on there before rewriting the new power tune to the ECU. Loading the modified tune took maybe 5 minutes? The car was on a battery tender the whole time, which certainly helps when you're on the original 6+ year-old battery.

After the tune was loaded I took it out for a spin, and man what a difference. Later I asked for a separate modified tune that turns off the AdBlue system, and loaded that in the same way when I got it a couple days later. The truck ran great until I put my original file back on, to take the car in for the AEM recall.

I still have the MyGenius device with 3 tunes on it (original, modified, modified + AdBlue delete) but so far I'm enjoying the newly found power that comes with a new boost hose, no need for any tunes yet.

Last time I spoke to OE guys, they said they can update my original file with the newly installed software from the AEM recall. That way I can load my power tunes back and still revert to stock AEM software for trips to the dealer. More than likely I will need to visit the MB stealer to have them replace the faulty AdBlue heater, which is another reason I haven't bothered with the tunes yet.

I just think you might be one of the few with sub-optimal experiences, and I know it can be frustrating. I only opted for OE because of the price and availability (of lack thereof) of local tuning shops that could do what I wanted. It's always better to have a local place to go back to if you have issues, rather than shipping stuff across borders and have to rely on emails only to fix problems.

karmikan 09-29-2021 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 8427059)
I don't know why you didn't choose Sam @ ECU program. He done it so many times now and all his reviews are positive

I thought I was choosing apples to apples but OE offered the ability to switch between tunes in my driveway. Given the positive reviews there was no way to anticipate what happened.

Andreigbs - You make perfectly sound points in your post and I probably am one of a minority who have had a bad experience with this firm. It seems to me (without having much knowledge of the inner workings of their software) that Norton anti-virus might be at the core of my issues, possibly as a result of Norton's machine-learning predictive algorithms. However, I surely can't be the first user of OE software who also has Norton. Is this potential software conflict the cause and if so how did OE solve it? I don't know because they've gone silent. Leading up to their silence, I went through one of the most frustrating email experiences I can remember. Their response to each email I sent was basically a cut and paste from their instruction set sometimes unrelated to my question. Almost 3 weeks of this stuff was pretty exhausting. Are OE busy, understaffed or disinterested? Whatever, they succeeded in making their problem my problem. .

andreigbs 09-30-2021 09:47 AM

It's definitely frustrating. I would definitely try to get the original tune back, as the log file won't be of any use really. If you downloaded it with the MyGenius device and emailed it to them, they should have emailed it back to you in the proper format along with your modified tune (whatever mods you asked for), so that you can load them both onto the MyGenius device.

Basically, when you plug in the MyGenius device into the OBD port, you should see at least two options for writing: Original and Modified. If you don't see that, take a screenshot and email it to them. Definitely check your emails from them and make sure they did indeed send you your original file back, so you can save it to the MyGenius device. If they didn't send you your original, that's on them and they need to make it right.

karmikan 09-30-2021 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8427810)
If you downloaded it with the MyGenius device and emailed it to them, they should have emailed it back to you in the proper format along with your modified tune (whatever mods you asked for), so that you can load them both onto the MyGenius device..

This is interesting. After I sent my downloaded file to OE, I received a return email from them containing just the tuned file, my original was NOT included. Are you saying that OE should have re-formatted my original and returned it with the tuned file?
Another thing, you mentioned that your tuned file came to you in a couple of days. Mine took a little over 4 HOURS. Just checked the time stamps and I sent my file to them at 5:55 PM and the tuned file was returned at 10:13 PM the same day. Is that indicative of anything? - don't know.

I'd appreciate your comments on file names/sizes to see if they agree with yours:

Original file -MYGFile.FPF (414 KB)
Tuned file - MYGFile_000_MOD.FPF (411 KB)

After the tune was uploaded via the OBD port, the MYGFile_000_MOD.FPF file stayed on MyGenius without being re-named. The MYGFile.FPF file disappeared.

Thanks for your help sir

andreigbs 09-30-2021 05:08 PM

OE should have re-formatted my original and returned it with the tuned file?

Correct, since when you download the OEM software it is not currently in the right format to be rewritten to the ECU, should you need to. Therefore, they take your OEM file and are supposed to format it for rewriting. They send back the original which is now like a backup and they send you the new modified tune.

your tuned file came to you in a couple of days...mine took a little over 4 HOURS... Is that indicative of anything?

I think they're busy at various times, so I wouldn't read too much into their response time for getting the initial set of files back. My guess is that they have the tuned file common to all GLK250 Bluetecs, so you're not getting a custom file, meaning they're not taking your OEM version and performing custom tuning of that; it's an "off the shelf" tune basically.

I would check your MyGenius software to see if your Original can be put back onto the MyGenius device. There is no reason it should be removed, unless perhaps you left a box checked/unchecked when loading the tunes from OE into the MyGenius.

I haven't plugged in my device in several months, it's stored away safely so I can't recall the exact sizes of files (sounds right though), but I do recall seeing all my files on the device before AND after I wrote the modified file to the ECU.

I currently have 3 files on the MyGenius and can choose to write any of them at any time.

karmikan 10-01-2021 10:56 AM

Many thanks Andreigbs. I've just emailed OE for the re-formatted OEM file. Keeping my fingers crossed that they actually respond.

karmikan 10-02-2021 08:26 PM

OE responded to my email this PM - "Factory stock map is accessed by selecting "ORIGINAL". “ORIGINAL” map can only be accessed after a MOD file has been loaded to the vehicle."

"Original tune is packed with each tuned map loaded to MyGenius."

This after I carefully explained, on multiple occasions, that I didn't get either "ORIGINAL" or "MODIFIED" files after loading to the vehicle and the upload messages I saw from MyGenius didn't follow the documentation. I even sent a screen shot of the contents of MyGenius after loading. Seems I'm back at square 1

(edit)
On reflection, I'm going to drop this whole thing and put it down to experience. If/when I need to revert to the OEM tune I'll get a separate off-the-shelf tune from someone, should be readily available. Thanks for your help Andreigbs. .

andreigbs 10-04-2021 12:26 PM

Yeah, to me that's just bad service at this point. And perhaps a faulty MyGenius device? In either case, they should be providing far better customer service support than they are. No excuses.

In my case, the money I spent for the tune + AdBlue delete was well worth it. I was able to run the car nearly 2 more years without any exhaust system issues, and we lucked out with the AEM recall. Now any repair to the system should be covered for quite some time.

Wishing you best of luck in Canadia...

KTM530 11-30-2021 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi andreigbs, may need some help. Just bought a GLK250 2014 and was looking for an OETUNING but it seems like i don't have a Adblue module controller in the trunk of my car ( see photo attachment). Does that mean that my car is already tuned? Is there any way to know if the car is tuned? Bought the car from a mazda dealer an all the parts of the exhaust system are all in place. The car is running very well without any code or cell.

RhythmMachine 11-30-2021 07:02 PM

I bought a 2009 ML320 Bluetec this spring and live in Calgary, so I was excited to find this thread. I've disabled my swirl flap motor (with the resistor trick) and it's working well mechanically, but a bit of a pain to have perpetual CEL for my two "swirl flaps locked open" codes (P2004 and P2005, if I recall correctly).

As I was trying to figure out why my new-to-me car was going into limp mode I saw quite about how the 3L V6 is a solid engine but the emissions components are a weak link and expensive to maintain. My initial plan was to drive it intact (except for the swirl flaps) until I run into problems, and then to disable the Adblue, DPF, or whatever is causing the issues at that point as an alternative to paying for temporary repairs.

After reading this thread, I can see a couple good options here in Calgary, which is great. There are a couple of things that still aren't clear for me, though:
  1. Is there an advantage (other than the power/fuel economy gains) to doing the various deletes proactively? To be precise, I can convince my wife that we're better to do delete/tune for $2.5K that will mean no more emissions issues if we're being faced with a $4K estimate to fix an emissions problem, but I'd need some pretty good ammo to convince her that we should invest in the delete/tune before a hefty repair bill is imminent. Are there compelling reasons?
  2. Is it feasible to simply do a software/firmware tune without going to the expense of changing out the exhaust system? If it's a matter of not gaining 10 additional pound-feet of torque without going to a straight pipe I can live with that... I just don't want to save a bit on replacing some of the exhaust now to have to replace more of it (or other components) later as a consequence.

Josblos 11-30-2021 07:13 PM

C'est évident qu'il manque le module de controle adblue. Le miens est toujours présent mais débrancher. Donc pour savoir si vous avez la modification, il faudrait aller voir dans le compartiment moteur et regarder si les connecteurs sont également débranchés

KTM530 11-30-2021 09:11 PM

Oui j'ai eu la confirmation ce midi en passant chez Atlas. Ce sont eux qui ont fait les modifs. Malheureusement, l'ancien proprio n'a fait faire que le tune pour le remettre en état de marche sans modifier le silencieux et le vendre à l'encan. Je vais compléter le delete.

KTM530 11-30-2021 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by RhythmMachine (Post 8465188)
I bought a 2009 ML320 Bluetec this spring and live in Calgary, so I was excited to find this thread. I've disabled my swirl flap motor (with the resistor trick) and it's working well mechanically, but a bit of a pain to have perpetual CEL for my two "swirl flaps locked open" codes (P2004 and P2005, if I recall correctly).

As I was trying to figure out why my new-to-me car was going into limp mode I saw quite about how the 3L V6 is a solid engine but the emissions components are a weak link and expensive to maintain. My initial plan was to drive it intact (except for the swirl flaps) until I run into problems, and then to disable the Adblue, DPF, or whatever is causing the issues at that point as an alternative to paying for temporary repairs.

After reading this thread, I can see a couple good options here in Calgary, which is great. There are a couple of things that still aren't clear for me, though:
  1. Is there an advantage (other than the power/fuel economy gains) to doing the various deletes proactively? To be precise, I can convince my wife that we're better to do delete/tune for $2.5K that will mean no more emissions issues if we're being faced with a $4K estimate to fix an emissions problem, but I'd need some pretty good ammo to convince her that we should invest in the delete/tune before a hefty repair bill is imminent. Are there compelling reasons?
  2. Is it feasible to simply do a software/firmware tune without going to the expense of changing out the exhaust system? If it's a matter of not gaining 10 additional pound-feet of torque without going to a straight pipe I can live with that... I just don't want to save a bit on replacing some of the exhaust now to have to replace more of it (or other components) later as a consequence.

Rhythm, take a look at oetuning, i'm sure they can help you with your second option. And they have some special offers right now. https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...oe-tuning.html

Josblos 12-01-2021 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by KTM530 (Post 8465246)
Oui j'ai eu la confirmation ce midi en passant chez Atlas. Ce sont eux qui ont fait les modifs. Malheureusement, l'ancien proprio n'a fait faire que le tune pour le remettre en état de marche sans modifier le silencieux et le vendre à l'encan. Je vais compléter le delete.

J'aimerais bien savoir ce que Atlas ont fait exactement. Ont-il vraiment reprogrammé l'ordinateur de la bonne façon comme le font les spécialiste chez Melone tuning ou autre? Je vous suggère de vérifier ca car vous allez avoir des problèmes. Il ne suffit pas comme d'autre véhicule de programmer par l'obd2, il faut le faire de la bonne façon. Si vous voulez, vous pouvez me contacter en me laissant votre cell, je vous appellerais.

andreigbs 12-01-2021 01:14 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4867237c6c.jpg
AdBlue nozzle, Harmon Kardon subwoofer system
This is the setup I see in the trunk, and I can't get the subwoofer system out of the way to verify whether the AdBlue module itself is there or not, although I haven't removed it and I know the car's diagnostics system sees it, so it must be there. Sorry I can't be of more assistance on that front.

The best way to know whether the car is tuned or not is to check EGR requested vs actual rate and to check boost pressures. If your scan tool can report PSI pressure for the turbo system, it should show higher boost and fuel rail pressures than stock. On my car, before the tune, normal EGR rates were 30-60% depending on driving conditions. Boost is trickier to pinpoint but there are stock values for these engines available somewhere in technical manuals. The biggest giveaway is a tuned turbodiesel generally has 0% EGR requested, which means it's only ingesting clean fresh air without any exhaust sooty stuff. That's what chokes a diesel to death eventually.

If those wires and plugs aren't plugged into anything, it's quite possible the AdBlue module was removed and the software should have been updated to delete it. You could also do some visual checks under the vehicle to see if the DPF is there, if the AdBlue sprayer is fitted to the exhaust pipe right in front of the rear wheels and to see if there is any urea fluid in the tank.

The last thing I would check is the VIN number on the MB site or a place like Autocheck or CarFax, to see what the history is if you don't have it handy.

andreigbs 12-01-2021 01:24 PM

RhythmMachine, you may want to visit the ML subforums for more specific threads on your model (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164-72/), as most of us here only know a bit about the OM651 4-cyl diesel in our GLKs.

That said, and in answer to your concerns:
1) Other than closing the EGR valve for a cleaner burn, which means less soot in the oil and less abrasives in the engine, there isn't much advantage to proactive tuning besides more power and better economy now vs later. It may prevent those exhaust components failing, it may not, as the tune largely turns the frequency of regens down and the sensitivity of the associated sensors down as well.
2) Yes, you can simply do a software "delete" basically, which turns off the EGR and AdBlue systems if you so desire. Nothing negative should happen if you leave the stock hardware components in place. In fact, I would advise against hacking off good parts in case there is an emissions recall available in the near future for you Canuck owners. It's a lot easier to just leave them in place and have them turned off since they can be reactivated as needed.

I would suggest a tune-yourself option using OETuning's MyGenius device, as it has worked well for me as well as others. You can switch back to stock at anytime, should a recall be made available. Otherwise, you can enjoy the added power and better economy, along with knowing your engine is breathing fresh filtered air without sooty exhaust particles. This can also extend the service life of your motor oil, saving you a few dollars along the way.

C300fan2 12-01-2021 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by KTM530 (Post 8464841)
Hi andreigbs, may need some help. Just bought a GLK250 2014 and was looking for an OETUNING but it seems like i don't have a Adblue module controller in the trunk of my car ( see photo attachment). Does that mean that my car is already tuned? Is there any way to know if the car is tuned? Bought the car from a mazda dealer an all the parts of the exhaust system are all in place. The car is running very well without any code or cell.

Thats weird. I have the ad blue unit there under the sub.

KTM530 12-01-2021 05:06 PM

Thank's Andreigbs.

To make a long story short, i've received the confirmation this morning that the software have been updated at 87900km and now the car have 88600km. Unfortunately, the last owner didn't want to pay for a full delete as he only want the car to start. This way he was able to sell the car at the auction. Then Mazda bought the car without knowing all the story. After buying the car, i did some research for a delete option and find that the Adblue module was not there anymore. Went to Atlas who have done many delete and by any chance, he was the one that did the software delete for my car.

At first, my option was to go with OETUNING but without the Adblue module, i have no choice but to go with the full delete. The car is a beast, pulling hard and running like a charm but the original DPF in place is in danger. Don't want it to clog.

DPF delete kit is ordered from Ecuprogram, should be here in a couple of days and will have the software checked at the same time.

stickman007 12-28-2021 08:44 PM

I’ve reached out to ecu program last week, haven’t heard any respond yet. On google, it says that they’re temporarily closed?

KTM530 12-28-2021 10:05 PM

I've ordered my exaust pipe from them early this month without any problem. Everything delivered on time.

stickman007 12-28-2021 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by KTM530 (Post 8481958)
I've ordered my exaust pipe from them early this month without any problem. Everything delivered on time.

On their website? Or FB page?

Was it a full 3 wks before the pipe shows up? And how much was it if you don’t mind sharing?

KTM530 12-28-2021 10:59 PM

On their website and yes approx. 3 weeks. 1050$ cad

GLK Super Fan 12-29-2021 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by stickman007 (Post 8481936)
I’ve reached out to ecu program last week, haven’t heard any respond yet. On google, it says that they’re temporarily closed?

I believe they are closed till next year. Probably will open on Jan 4th 2022

stickman007 01-03-2022 10:30 PM

Got a hold of Sam today at ECU Program, booked an appointment on Friday.

Got the adblue countdown out of nowhere today. My scanner says P2BADFB - NOx exceeded limit (unknown cause). Literally could be anything (NOx sensor, def fluid heater, exhaust leaks…etc). Less than 1000km of ownership under 3weeks…not too happy about the dealership that sold us the car.

Going to get stage 2 with egr/flapper/scr Steele leaving the dpf in place for now. This way I don’t have to remove any hardware. I can quickly flash it (Powergate3+) back to OEM when the time comes to claim the settlement.

andreigbs 01-04-2022 09:34 AM

Less than 1000km of ownership under 3weeks…not too happy about the dealership that sold us the car.

Unless they outright lied to you about something, emissions issues of all kinds are possible on these Bluetecs.

And from what I've heard about Sam's approach, they remove hardware with their software update. Unless they've updated their approach...

Haven't heard about Powergate before; could you share some details?

stickman007 01-04-2022 05:39 PM

I just saw it as an option on ECU Program’s site. It’s made by AlienTech-Tools - Powergate 3+. I’m supposedly able to upload and download maps.

Sam was the one that suggested that if I want to do as little as possible leaving the hardware in for now is to delete the scr and egr component leaving the dpf function and hardware in place.

andreigbs 01-04-2022 06:21 PM

That would be my advice as well. Keep the stock hardware in place, just use the software to turn stuff off. Best of both worlds.

stickman007 01-04-2022 07:14 PM

Keep u guys posted when I get it done on Friday.

stickman007 01-07-2022 10:00 PM

So I made the trip from Edmonton to Calgary to get tune and delete. Sam and his team was awesome to deal with.
I decided to get the economy tune with only egr/scr/adblue delete and left the dpf portion functional. I also picked up the dpf bypass pipe for after the Canadian settlement. Unfortunately, apparently I’m not able to use the AlienTech Powergate 3+ due to a firmware issue according to Sam. Instead, I ended up with the Android flasher CMD FlashTec MPF.

My drive back was against strong head wind,-25C doing about 120km/hr. Fuel economy was 7.9L/100Km. Not bad….will have to see long term in the summer. Definitely more “kick” when I step on it….also throttle response is a lot better.

KTM530 01-08-2022 05:37 PM

Good for you. For sure fuel economy will be better in less colder temperature. Here in Quebec city, today's temp was at -14 C and i got 6.5L/100km on the highway. I'm more than happy with the delete. You kept the DPF so the regen is still active? After the settlement, you will remove the DPF so you'll have to go back to Sam's place and do a reprogramming?

stickman007 01-08-2022 06:42 PM

I left all the hardware in place, and the dpf function. It will do a regen when required. I purchased the ECM flasher - I can flash the original map back on. I can also pay another $150 for Sam to email me the complete delete tune and I can just flash it myself once the bypass pipe is installed.

I’m noticing that my idling is a bit rough today. Granted it was -27C this morning. It idled rough again this afternoon at -21C. Didn’t use to do that with the oem tune.

Im getting pretty terrible mpg now (8.9L/100km), I think it’s because I’m not able to get to operating temp. Since the remap, I’m no longer able to get to 85C going on the highway. At best 75C after the end of my 30min drive. I’ll give Sam a call on Monday.

I will start a new thread later with regards to tune issues.

Cal Gary 08-24-2022 12:58 PM

GLK 250 Update

Following up on the original post. Do you still have the car? Are you still happy with the modification?

I have a 2013 GLK 250 with 210,000km and looking to modify as well.

GLK Super Fan 08-24-2022 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cal Gary (Post 8621970)
Following up on the original post. Do you still have the car? Are you still happy with the modification?

I have a 2013 GLK 250 with 210,000km and looking to modify as well.

I still have the vehicle. Wife is the one driving it. So far no major issue, other than i have to replace the injectors to address the smoking issue. With the current car market, no plan to upgrade anytime soon. My GLK almost at 200k, still going strong:)

Cal Gary 08-25-2022 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 8622271)
I still have the vehicle. Wife is the one driving it. So far no major issue, other than i have to replace the injectors to address the smoking issue. With the current car market, no plan to upgrade anytime soon. My GLK almost at 200k, still going strong:)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Glad to hear your happy with the modification.

My wife drives our GLK as well. She really likes the comfort, safety and AWD. I like the fuel economy. The emissions sensors are the only downside of the car and have been problematic.

My understating is MB now in Canada may replace emmisions components due to the problems. I am sure there are more posts on this in the forum (I haven't checked) but my purpose of this messaging was to see if you were happy with the prior tuning.

Glad to hear your happy with it! Thanks again for the recommmendation.

All the best!

tuktuk 10-03-2022 02:05 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure which sub forum should I inquire, but I have 2016 GLE 250d with Euro 4 emission, so there's no DPF or Adblue straight from Mercedes Benz factory; there's an EGR though. What's the benefit of closing off or blanking off the EGR or can I turn off the EGR without hardware modifications?

Thanks

John CC 10-04-2022 11:46 AM

If you have a Mass Airflow Sensor and you block off the EGR the system will complain that the measured intake doesn't agree with the expected intake.

The benefit is the engine doesn't have to breath in its own exhaust, so you don't get all those combustion byproducts gumming up the intake tract.

Josblos 10-09-2022 03:32 PM

J'aimerais bien récupérer le 2000$ de Mercedes pour le rappel. Pour ce faire, je dois remettre le tout a l'origine. Le problème est que le tuyau du dpf a été coupé pour récupérer le flange. Il me faudrait donc un autre dpf et je serai en mesure de réinstaller le tout. Si quelqu'un a ca, je serais acheteur.

KTM530 10-09-2022 10:58 PM

J'ai ça. Est-ce que c'est une installation temporaire ou permanente.

Josblos 10-10-2022 06:15 AM

Dans les faits, Je trouve ca ridicule de tout remettre en place pour que Mercedes les enlève de nouveau pour les remplacer. J'imagine que c'est pour refuser ceux qui ont modifier le système et économiser des $$. Est-ce que vous seriez prêt a me vendre ou échanger votre dpf? Le mien est d'origine mais a un des bout couper.
Merci

bluecoupe05 10-10-2022 07:59 AM

Assuming you have the ecu tuned for your delete, you will also need to have it re-tuned to stock configuration to be eligible for the field measure and compensation. That's my understanding.

Josblos 10-10-2022 08:16 AM

J'ai acheté un 2e ordinateur non modifié. Je garderai donc mon tuyau modifié ainsi que l'ordinateur modifié si un problème revenait. Je me pose également la question. Est-ce qu'il y en a beaucoup d'entre-vous qui ont été chercher le 2000$ en remettant tout le système à l'origine?

bluecoupe05 10-10-2022 08:29 AM

Interesting, I'm assuming the ecu that you purchased has been coded to your VIN?

Josblos 10-10-2022 10:28 AM

Non, je pensais seulement changer l'ecu modifié par un non modifié. Selon vous, ca ne fonctionnera pas?

bluecoupe05 10-10-2022 10:42 AM

MB ECU's are coded with the vehicles VIN which needs to match the VIN that has been coded to the vehicle security features/system or the vehicle will not operate.

Josblos 10-10-2022 12:22 PM

Ok, merci

GLK Super Fan 12-23-2022 06:05 AM

10 year mark update

Hey guys, just want to give you guys a quick update. I still have the vehicle and it almost at 200 km :)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6a1fc2fd3b.jpg
I still think it a half decent looking vehicle after almost 10 years. Hopefully this year I will have time to black out the rest of the chrome trims
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...89f62b94e6.jpg
Almost 200k. Hopefully it will get to 300k without major issue
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...17e4d16309.jpg
Still gets a very decent mileage.

Recently Canada has a massive recall and settlement on the emission bs. I didn't brother to take the car back to complete the recall. Really don't want the dealership touch my vehicle, special there is nothing wrong with it.

cees klumper 12-23-2022 08:31 AM

Thanks for the update. Mine has 203,000 miles (330,000 kms?) with all original emissions in place and no issues (touch wood), runs fabulous. California so deleting emissions equipment not an option.

Josblos 12-26-2022 11:51 AM

Wow, 5,3l/100km, c'est vraiment bon. Moi en cette période hivernale, jamais en bas de 8l/100km en mixe.

blackends 01-02-2023 06:31 PM

Just for laughs because I watch Cop shows and movies a lot, Your question sounds quite narc/vice squad-like undercover pre-text!

dido6i 01-02-2023 08:58 PM

HI glk fan, I am glad to see this results.
I live in Toronto and looking for somebody to delete everything and install the pipes?
If somebody knows any good place, please let me know.
I like your front grille - where did you get it from?

GLK Super Fan 02-13-2023 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dido6i (Post 8696193)
HI glk fan, I am glad to see this results.
I live in Toronto and looking for somebody to delete everything and install the pipes?
If somebody knows any good place, please let me know.
I like your front grille - where did you get it from?

I got mine done in Calgary. You can contact Sam from ECU program in Calgary to get a remote tune. I believe they do a stage 1 tune now with the OBDII

For the front grill, I got it from ebay.

gasmileageguy 11-19-2023 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8168670)

Everything I have read suggests getting rid of the hardware. Who's tune are you looking at getting?

gasmileageguy 11-19-2023 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 8690955)
Hey guys, just want to give you guys a quick update. I still have the vehicle and it almost at 200 km :)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6a1fc2fd3b.jpg
I still think it a half decent looking vehicle after almost 10 years. Hopefully this year I will have time to black out the rest of the chrome trims
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...89f62b94e6.jpg
Almost 200k. Hopefully it will get to 300k without major issue
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...17e4d16309.jpg
Still gets a very decent mileage.

Recently Canada has a massive recall and settlement on the emission bs. I didn't brother to take the car back to complete the recall. Really don't want the dealership touch my vehicle, special there is nothing wrong with it.

Had my 2013 in for the recall last year, I have the 10 starts until you are a brick message. They replaced a ton of stuff, to the tune of almost $20k and the car was good, but now I am getting the DP error code P203D so instead of trying to get the DEF system fixed, I think I will go ahead with the delete. I really love this car, but the DEF system is a nightmare.

andreigbs 11-20-2023 09:56 AM

If you had the recall done, that means you should have quite an extended warranty covering a LOT of items, including the DEF system.

Why not let the dealer (perhaps a different dealer?) attempt to fix it?

C300fan2 11-20-2023 12:05 PM

My biggest issue after the recall is the millage is worse. Went from Aprox 6.5 to 8.6 L combined.

gasmileageguy 11-20-2023 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 8879690)
If you had the recall done, that means you should have quite an extended warranty covering a LOT of items, including the DEF system.

Why not let the dealer (perhaps a different dealer?) attempt to fix it?

I had not realized that there was such a big warranty on the recall ( 7 years, 77000kms) so I have an appointment to take it into the dealer and see what they have to say. Thanks for mentioning this!

andreigbs 11-20-2023 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by C300fan2 (Post 8879746)
My biggest issue after the recall is the millage is worse. Went from Aprox 6.5 to 8.6 L combined.

I have not noticed any difference in the fuel economy numbers pre- and post-recall work. I have, however, noticed a difference in fuel economy going from non-winter fuel to winterized diesel.

Thuppu 11-22-2023 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tims350 (Post 8184605)

​​​​​​​Reply to old post... This is the right way to do if you somehow need to delete the DPF. By deleting also the catalyst the car will smell like an old diesel truck from the 80's. The smell will just came after you everywhere you drive. Not very nice and doesn't suite the looks and status of the car. 😁

MBKLUE 11-23-2023 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Thuppu (Post 8880982)
Reply to old post... This is the right way to do if you somehow need to delete the DPF. By deleting also the catalyst the car will smell like an old diesel truck from the 80's. The smell will just came after you everywhere you drive. Not very nice and doesn't suite the looks and status of the car. 😁

I really miss the old Diesel truck and bus exhaust smell but I know times have changed...

Discod 11-23-2023 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by MBKLUE (Post 8881217)
I really miss the old Diesel truck and bus exhaust smell but I know times have changed...

Yes when I burn B20 biodiesel like a lot of trucks use these days it seems to have a more pleasant odor.

Ogli 11-23-2023 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by gasmileageguy (Post 8879568)
Had my 2013 in for the recall last year, I have the 10 starts until you are a brick message. They replaced a ton of stuff, to the tune of almost $20k and the car was good, but now I am getting the DP error code P203D so instead of trying to get the DEF system fixed, I think I will go ahead with the delete. I really love this car, but the DEF system is a nightmare.

You can contact the guys at OBDTUNE.com to have the DEF EGR Flaps and DPF removed.
They offer a hand-held module that installs the new software into the ECU directly, so you won't need to drive to a service center or rent special equipment.
It was easy and a pleasure to work with true experts in their field!