Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Diesels recalled in Europe

Just happened to come across this:

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/d...ecall-faq.html

It includes this pdf with a list of affected vehicles. One of them is the GLK250 but apparently only with emission controls to Euro 6b (T) standard (whatever that is.)

https://www.daimler.com/dokumente/in...by-daimler.pdf

Not sure if we will see something like this, but Daimler are no doubt not having an easy time in Europe.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
There is a pending US investigation into Mercedes Diesels, but has been very quiet for the last several months. Surprised USA are not being more aggressive..

https://autoweek.com/article/diesel/...esel-crisis-us
https://www.carprousa.com/diesel-scandals-update
Old 09-19-2018, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Keyword: pending.

If MB were not cooperating, this would be a much bigger deal. It may yet be, we'll just have to wait it out.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
These investigations have caused the death of MB diesels in North America, and I’m pissed. I love my diesel.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
These investigations have caused the death of MB diesels in North America, and I’m pissed. I love my diesel.
I bought the GLK250 because I love diesels. Have owned our W123 for almost 30 years. The GLK is a great car and we use it for our longer distance trips. Mileage is good and the car is comfortable and even quiet.

What I am not happy about, is the emission system. This adds a great deal of complexity to what otherwise is a simple engine. This complex system with it's many sensors and modules has only 2 yr warranty vs 4 year for the car itself. (except for 4 items). And on top of that, the system gets turned off below 10C. And the DEF tank eliminates the spare wheel.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
^ This.

If you live in an area where the emissions system can be....lost without consequence, I would entertain that route. Short of that, fingers crossed and learn to fix what breaks outside warranty, including NOx sensors, DPFs, AdBlue tanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:00 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by andreigbs
^ This.

If you live in an area where the emissions system can be....lost without consequence, I would entertain that route. Short of that, fingers crossed and learn to fix what breaks outside warranty, including NOx sensors, DPFs, AdBlue tanks.
Here in Ontario, I doubt that one can get away with disabling the emission system.

Learning to do the expected repairs is a possibility. I have dome that on my other Benzes. But these days you likely need a Star diagnostic computer to locate faults. Sensors and other emission parts no doubt expensive and have to be OE and mostly bought from dealer.

The other option is to put aside the monthly payments that you would have to make if you upgraded to a newer car and use that money when repairs are needed.

I am going to get some trade-in prices for our GLK250 this week. Then compare with what a new replacement car will cost. MB SUVs are out of range price-wise these days, so it would likely be a Subaru Outback, Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Edge or something like that. (Open to ideas!) Still going to be C$40k plus taxes.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
It appears that modern direct inject diesels in cars are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Of the vehicles you mentioned , I know several people with the Subaru who love them. I have a friend who had a Kia equivalent to the Hyundai who ran from Lake Placid to New York with a broken oil pressure sensor that made him stop every 50 miles to fill with oil and the darn suv ran over 150,000 miles after that with just the sensor replaced and normal maintenance. If you are not going to go with a gas GLK, and you had a high mpg diesel, I wonder why you are not looking at the Japanese Hybrid like the Toyota Highlander or Lexus RX among others? They are pretty well made and get fairly good mpg.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by 107123210
Here in Ontario, I doubt that one can get away with disabling the emission system.

Learning to do the expected repairs is a possibility. I have dome that on my other Benzes. But these days you likely need a Star diagnostic computer to locate faults. Sensors and other emission parts no doubt expensive and have to be OE and mostly bought from dealer.

The other option is to put aside the monthly payments that you would have to make if you upgraded to a newer car and use that money when repairs are needed.

I am going to get some trade-in prices for our GLK250 this week. Then compare with what a new replacement car will cost. MB SUVs are out of range price-wise these days, so it would likely be a Subaru Outback, Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Edge or something like that. (Open to ideas!) Still going to be C$40k plus taxes.
Agreed, you'd need MB specfic diagnostics capability and a good source for OEM parts.

Putting the monthly payment equivalent aside implies one has paid it off already. Not really possible for many, including myself. But this would be one of the options I'd look at as well.

Trade-in values will vary, especially if you go to a non-German auto dealer. At least, that has been my experience. Trading in my previous MB at a VW/Audi dealer got me a better trade-in allowance, and I was coming by from a Hyundai/Kia dealership FWIW.

As far as replacement vehicles, I'm not going to say what I think about Soobies. It wouldn't be nice. I'd also steer clear of Ford SUVs. I'd much rather look at the new Hyundais and Kias, and don't forget Mazda has some nice options. It was my second choice to the GLK.

If you have deeper pockets, you can look at Acura SUVs or the aforementioned Lexus hybrid SUVs.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by bop11
, and you had a high mpg diesel, I wonder why you are not looking at the Japanese Hybrid like the Toyota Highlander or Lexus RX among others? They are pretty well made and get fairly good mpg.
Those are pretty high priced vehicles. And because we mostly use GLK for long distance highway trips, the hybrid wouldn't help much with mpgs.(Lexus RX 2019 all in price is C$65,000!)

Last edited by 107123210; 09-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Trade-in values will vary, especially if you go to a non-German auto dealer. At least, that has been my experience. Trading in my previous MB at a VW/Audi dealer got me a better trade-in allowance, and I was coming by from a Hyundai/Kia dealership FWIW.

As far as replacement vehicles, I'm not going to say what I think about Soobies. It wouldn't be nice. I'd also steer clear of Ford SUVs. I'd much rather look at the new Hyundais and Kias, and don't forget Mazda has some nice options. It was my second choice to the GLK.
We have a number of friends who have similar needs. Basically a SUV that has enough volume to take the stuff we need for our winter snowbird trips. The GLK250 barely did it. We had to add roof box.

Two of our friends have Outbacks and they have been super reliable with excellent mpgs for a gasser (with 4 cyl engine).Besides, I like the look! Like GLK they have their own style, while just about all others (including MBs) tend to looks same to me. You can get a fairly well equipped one for $39k plus taxes (no other charges). Subaru is owned by Toyota, I believe.

Other friend had Venza but they no longer make it (although there may be Lexus version). He copied another friend and bough an Edge. That friend has had a number of Edges. They are about right size for our needs.

Both VW and Subaru now have larger SUVS (Atlas and Ascent). But likely more than we need. I see the Mazdas and they look quite good. Then there are GMs. A couple of friends have Enclaves and they seem great. But new ones are out of our price range and probably more than we need.

I will get some trade in pricing on GLK and compare with keeping GLK and doing DIY maintenance once our 7 yr warranty runs out.

By the way, I saw an ad on Kijiji offering to buy 2013-2015 GLK250s.. Someone must know of a demand for these diesels. Perhaps they are shipping them to places that don't have emission rules? Anyway, couldn't find the ad today. Maybe inundated with offers

Last edited by 107123210; 09-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Two of our friends have Outbacks and they have been super reliable with excellent mpgs for a gasser (with 4 cyl engine)
I've heard the same, but the four-pot is also anemic on power. Nothing like the GLK250, obviously, and if you want more power and go with the boxer engines, those are notorious for oil leaks and other issues. Frankly, Subaru is off my list entirely even though it's American-made (in Indiana!) and in cooperation with (not sure if owned by) Toyota.

Both VW and Subaru now have larger SUVS (Atlas and Ascent)
We looked at the Atlas, but thought it too big as well. But don't pass by the new Tiguan without at least a glance.

Then there are GMs
Thanks for reminding me: there are two diesel-powered options, the Equinox and the Terrain. They're basically the same car, with the exact same 1.6L diesel. Might be the best of both worlds with regards to size/volume and fuel efficiency for long trips.

Perhaps they are shipping them to places that don't emission rules?
Or trying to stir the pot? Who knows... my last diesel (VW Golf TDI) was turned in, fixed and resold here. I would at least hang onto the GLK until Benz officially provides us with options of either buy-back or fix with extended warranty (the "fixed" TDIs come with 11 year/120k miles extended warranty now!)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250
Like many I'm not ready to discard a great vehicle.

But since the Outback comes up...
A couple of vehicles ago I had a 2000 Outback. It's good quality and a fun car to drive, tows trailers well, great in the snow. But from 135,000 miles or so...
The travel on the suspension could be better. Once ended up with two wheels off the ground which turns AWD to NoWD.
The front overhang is long for that ground clearance. Damaged the front "bumper".
The "skid plate" under the engine is essentially the lid from a plastic trash can / dustbin. After mine was torn off, replaced it with a proper skid plate from Primitive - his first Outback part.
The Primitive rear diff skid plate was the same part as WRX.
When turning tightly and (Hello, you're on Car Talk) it goes thumpathumpathumpa, it's time to replace the viscous coupler in the AWD.
Certainly the 2.5 liter's head gaskets were a problem. Replaced the heads the first time and discovered that aftermarket gaskets fail compression tests.
Replaced the engine the second time, despite the mechanic suggesting to junk the car.
Perhaps if you're shopping for a Subaru, talk to the service manager about improvements to head gaskets and AWD. Last time I asked there was no change to either.
Jim