MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   HELP ME BUY A 2010-2012 MB GLK530 (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/731293-help-me-buy-2010-2012-mb-glk530.html)

Mian 12-27-2018 06:34 PM

HELP ME BUY A 2010-2012 MB GLK530

I am looking to buy in next 10 days or so a 2010-2012 year GLK350 4Matic for a reasonable price. Would prefer to buy from someone who is hoping to upgrade. Would like to avoid the middleman dealer thus save some money. Welcome any ideas how to go about it. NEW TO MERCEDES BENZ. Hopr to save about $3000-$4000 dealer markup in our area . Please Help if you can. TORONTO CANADA

Mmr1 12-28-2018 11:51 PM

get a maintenance records , get an extended new warranty, and get a pro that knows gljks to check it out or get a big discount and prepare to pay big for breakage.

NYCGLK 12-29-2018 06:04 PM

Check for vibration at idle. If you feel brake pedal and steering wheel vibrate at idle, the engine mounts are worn out. It's an expensive job on 4matics, not bad on 2wd.
Check that rear electric gate operates up and down.
Check that sunroof and the curtain operate fully.
Look at driver seat wear and tear, MB tex is known to rip.
Open the hood, check the air intake runners (made out of soft material, they are brittle and break with age - no big deal).
Check axle boots for cracks/grease coming out.
Try to get car on the lift and check for leak from transfer case or front diff. General sweating is ok, but drips is not great.

Test drive and listen for any noises especially from transmission. There are a few failures of 4matics, but they tend to be at lower mileage, but if the noise is simply ignored you might be buying an expensive fix.
Test if the car pulls or vibrates at speed (can be as simple as unbalanced wheel).

I've had mine for almost 10 years, since new, and it's been as very reliable and pretty easy to work on (except for the engine mounts).

Mian 12-30-2018 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK (Post 7641270)
Check for vibration at idle. If you feel brake pedal and steering wheel vibrate at idle, the engine mounts are worn out. It's an expensive job on 4matics, not bad on 2wd.
Check that rear electric gate operates up and down.
Check that sunroof and the curtain operate fully.
Look at driver seat wear and tear, MB tex is known to rip.
Open the hood, check the air intake runners (made out of soft material, they are brittle and break with age - no big deal).
Check axle boots for cracks/grease coming out.
Try to get car on the lift and check for leak from transfer case or front diff. General sweating is ok, but drips is not great.

Test drive and listen for any noises especially from transmission. There are a few failures of 4matics, but they tend to be at lower mileage, but if the noise is simply ignored you might be buying an expensive fix.
Test if the car pulls or vibrates at speed (can be as simple as unbalanced wheel).

I've had mine for almost 10 years, since new, and it's been as very reliable and pretty easy to work on (except for the engine mounts).

Thank you indeed for your extremely useful post NYCGLK . I have purchased a 2010 GLK 350 on Friday and I found your post to be of great value to novice with MB cars. I think your pointers can be valuable to any buyer looking for a pre-owned car. I will be sharing some pictures of the vehicle in due course.

Mian 01-10-2019 02:45 AM

NYCGLK I need a reverse camera for my 2010 GLK 350 4Matic can it be installed easily and where do I purchase it. Can you help please. Thank you.

NYCGLK 01-12-2019 12:28 AM

^no idea, google around C-class forums.