MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Total Life miles expected from GLK 350 engine (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/732569-total-life-miles-expected-glk-350-engine.html)

RJCMowgli 01-10-2019 08:42 PM

Total Life miles expected from GLK 350 engine

I'm wondering what people have experienced and heard in terms of how long the GLK 350 engine lasts in total miles before it's ready for the graveyard? The GLK 250 has been commonly mentioned by mechanics and service centers as lasting over 400,000 miles. I haven't heard how the gas engine compares. They are both well testings and used around the world for years in multiple Mercedes Benz series. I called a dealer today and spoke to a service manager and salesperson. Both said with proper maintenance and care that 200 to 250,000 miles is feasible, based on this engine in other Benz vehicles. What is the highest mileage you have heard, see our experience?

This will help me decide which 2015 GLK to buy. Thanks.

NYCGLK 01-12-2019 12:22 AM

So many factors. 400k miles in 4 years or 400k miles in 40 years. Big difference. One concern with 2012+ is the carbon build up on intake valves due to going to DFI, but how justified, who knows. Engine life probably will not be the limiting factor, it's gonna be the rest of the small things. But then it depends if you can DIY most of the other things. 4matic can be another weak point. I've seen GLK with 227k miles for sale. GLK 250 lasting 400k miles is questionable, too many things that can break (turbo, emissions etc.) GL350 diesel is a total POS.

andreigbs 01-14-2019 12:26 PM

If it were JUST the engines themselves we'd be talking about, a diesel engine is built to last while enduring nearly twice the compression ratio of most gassers. The internal moving parts should be bulletproof basically, and MB's diesels are probably the best since first introduced. In fact, it's possibly the only manufacturer whose diesels are still on the road 30-40 years since they rolled off factory lines.

However, with the introduction of more and more stringent exhaust systems required by national and local governments over the years, diesel engines tend to be suffocated to the point where something else than internal motor parts breaks. Often it's a turbo, an intercooler, charged air hoses and other accessories. Most recently, its turning out to be the myriad of sensors and exhaust treatment parts that's giving diesels a difficult time.

Having said that, 13 out of my 15 cars to date have been diesel. I've found they are much tougher, better built, tolerate adverse conditions and lapses in maintenance better, are far cheaper to run and operate and I never have to worry about finding fuel, especially when a hurricane is expected to strike...

I've seen 350s (same engine in C class, E class and S class) that have well over 200k miles. Many are beginning to give up the ghost, while a diesel with 200k miles is usually chugging right along. To each his own, your mileage may vary :)