MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   2013 GLK350 major repair (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/738464-2013-glk350-major-repair.html)

Lazarus Long 03-12-2019 06:36 PM

2013 GLK350 major repair

This Feb, when the temperatures got down to -20 or so the GLK 350 was working fine. A couple days later, after the cold snap ended, I got a weird malfunction - check engine light came on, and it wouldn't shift out of park. I left it for a while, and finally got around to trying to drive it again. It started ok, it shifts from park into D and R like it should, but the check engine light stayed on.

I took it to the dealer, thinking maybe it was just a battery issue due to the cold. Nope. They say there is something wrong in with the camshaft that operates the valves. It is a major repair - they had the heads off and were inside the engine. Fortunately it has the Mercedes extended warranty, so it is covered. Still don't have it back yet, they have had it for not quite a week.

They say it is a fairly rare problem, but something was not done correctly when the engine was originally built. It will be interesting to see what the final repair sheet says.

Woof 03-13-2019 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long (Post 7703896)
This Feb, when the temperatures got down to -20 or so the GLK 350 was working fine. A couple days later, after the cold snap ended, I got a weird malfunction - check engine light came on, and it wouldn't shift out of park. I left it for a while, and finally got around to trying to drive it again. It started ok, it shifts from park into D and R like it should, but the check engine light stayed on.

I took it to the dealer, thinking maybe it was just a battery issue due to the cold. Nope. They say there is something wrong in with the camshaft that operates the valves. It is a major repair - they had the heads off and were inside the engine. Fortunately it has the Mercedes extended warranty, so it is covered. Still don't have it back yet, they have had it for not quite a week.

They say it is a fairly rare problem, but something was not done correctly when the engine was originally built. It will be interesting to see what the final repair sheet says.

That’s scary... I have the same model. May I ask what your mileage is? Mine is at 50,000 kms (30,000 miles) and I am thinking of selling before I have major issues. Mine is also under extended warranty and in mint condition, I hate to part with it but I worry about expensive repairs. Your story is what I fear....

Lazarus Long 03-13-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Woof (Post 7704229)
That’s scary... I have the same model. May I ask what your mileage is? Mine is at 50,000 kms (30,000 miles) and I am thinking of selling before I have major issues. Mine is also under extended warranty and in mint condition, I hate to part with it but I worry about expensive repairs. Your story is what I fear....

Not sure what the mileage is, less than 30,000 miles, probably closer to 25,000. This problem is concerning, but hopefully will be solved. I plan to keep it anyway. The reality of the situation is all Mercedes vehicles are expensive to repair, replacing the GLK with something else won't change that. I consider the GLK to be a far superior vehicle than its replacement. Visibility is good, I like the boxy design better than jelly bean shape everything has gone to. I much prefer the NA V6 to the downsized turbo 4-banger they use now.

Woof 03-13-2019 06:34 PM

I agree, this is a great car. I have been test driving many others and each time I get back into my Benz, I question why I would want to change (except for a new vehicle with warranty). I have had two identical CEL issues - very rough idle - close to stalling, I have to keep shifting into neutral and revving it - and then it clears up with no explanation from the dealer. I hope you get your car back soon.

Lazarus Long 03-15-2019 05:26 PM

An update:

Got the GLK back. It was all covered by the extended warranty so the bill only shows $0.00, but I saw the bill that the dealer sends back to MB. Over $5500. Parts were close to $4000, the rest labor. The major components replaced were the right side head and camshaft, plus all the accompanying gasket, seals, bolts, etc. The list of parts replaced went on for about 1 1/2 pages. I don't know specifically what caused the problem, they just said that something wasn't done correctly at the factory and the problem finally appeared.

So it works again.

Woof 03-15-2019 05:32 PM

Wow that would have hurt if it wasn’t under warranty!! I am glad for you it was covered - your car should run like new now. Enjoy ��

bugelrex 03-16-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long (Post 7706485)
An update:

Got the GLK back. It was all covered by the extended warranty so the bill only shows $0.00, but I saw the bill that the dealer sends back to MB. Over $5500. Parts were close to $4000, the rest labor. The major components replaced were the right side head and camshaft, plus all the accompanying gasket, seals, bolts, etc. The list of parts replaced went on for about 1 1/2 pages. I don't know specifically what caused the problem, they just said that something wasn't done correctly at the factory and the problem finally appeared.

So it works again.

wow, that's almost a third of the current resale of a 2013 GLK. BTW, GEICO offers extended warranty option on your insurance for extra 3 years when you buy a new car