MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Front Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/741376-front-differential-transfer-case-fluid-change.html)

apachecai 04-10-2019 01:29 PM

Front Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change

Hi, I bought a 2011 GLK350 4Matic at 70k miles. I don't think the gear oil has been changed before. I just changed the rear differential fluid and want to do it for the front differential and transfer case. Is there a write-up or video indicating how to access the fill and drain bolts of the front differential and transfer case in the 4Matic car? Thanks.

Marek_Norway 04-11-2019 07:14 AM

Transfer case is part of transmission, so you need to change fluid in your transmission..I would let workshop with right machine to do it with flush. For the front differential, you can find step by step manual on this forum...

B737 04-11-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK (Post 7666051)
To add about differentials:
The GLK front differential doesn't have fill plug. The drain plug is identical to transmission plug so we used the same screw-in adapter to pump about 550ml in (500ml came out from the front diff), then unscrew adapter and quickly plugged. Took 20min.
Rear diff was non-event with drain and fill plugs like in many videos (no crush washers and replacement plugs necessary). It took full 1L of fluid (keep in mind that hand pumps can’t get the full bottle emptied). Both diff fluids were pretty dark with 90k miles on them. Not a bad idea to flush them with with the 2nd transmission service.
10 year transmission mount was a bit softer and had a bit more play then then the new OEM from corteco (that got replaced as well).

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ml#post7665910

C280 Sport 04-12-2019 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by apachecai (Post 7728645)
Hi, I bought a 2011 GLK350 4Matic at 70k miles. I don't think the gear oil has been changed before. I just changed the rear differential fluid and want to do it for the front differential and transfer case. Is there a write-up or video indicating how to access the fill and drain bolts of the front differential and transfer case in the 4Matic car? Thanks.

This is not nothing to guess at. I would just change it and you will feel much better knowing you did it. Piece of mind is sometimes worth having with these cars.

andreigbs 04-12-2019 11:38 AM

Peace of mind is sometimes mostly always worth having with these cars.

FIFY ;)

apachecai 04-12-2019 12:50 PM

I just called the dealer and they told me that transmission was serviced at 40k miles. Since Marek mentioned that transfer case is part of the transmission, I assumed that the fluid inside the transfer case got drained as well, right? I will service the transmission again since it reaches about 71k today. This is a great forum. Appreciation to all the people who helps out others!

B737 04-12-2019 01:18 PM

From reading the forum here, it seems like more often than not, most dealers will not do the TQ. At 40k since service it wouldnt hurt to do it between now and the next 10,000 miles. Inspect your pan closely near the the drain plug, if there is bubbling under the paint, order a new replacement pan for when you do the service. Servicing the front and rear diff are pretty simple as outlined in the other thread.

apachecai 04-13-2019 01:41 AM

Any one try flushing their ATF as Tasos advised? I didn't quite catch the whole process...Should we run the engine to pump out the old fluid a little (say 1 quart) at a time, and fill in new fluid from the drain bolt little at a time?

NYCGLK 04-20-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by apachecai (Post 7730903)
Any one try flushing their ATF as Tasos advised? I didn't quite catch the whole process...Should we run the engine to pump out the old fluid a little (say 1 quart) at a time, and fill in new fluid from the drain bolt little at a time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZvcZ-Ev0A&t=127s

Overkill IMO. Just drain the pan and torque converter, not to be confused with transfer case, which is part of the transmission...both can be referred to as TC.
That will get most of the old fluid out. If you repeat this in 50k miles you will have pretty fresh stuff all the time, and much fresher than what MB recommends.

apachecai 04-24-2019 12:01 PM

Can anyone share the crankshaft bolt size of M272 and M273 engine? I didn't have the right size socket and ended up using a Flathead screw driver to pry the flywheel, in order to get access to the drain bolt of torque converter. Thanks.

NYCGLK 04-24-2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by apachecai (Post 7740563)
Can anyone share the crankshaft bolt size of M272 and M273 engine? I didn't have the right size socket and ended up using a Flathead screw driver to pry the flywheel, in order to get access to the drain bolt of torque converter. Thanks.

some big bolt...might be 26mm. Socket works best.