MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Oil Change - Check Last Oil Change? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/742729-oil-change-check-last-oil-change.html)

StuartTheC55 04-23-2019 08:30 PM

Oil Change - Check Last Oil Change?

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me out.

My SO bought a GLK 350 a few months back.

She recently got the notification that she needed to take it in for Service B (she just hit 40k miles). Which sparked the question of what needs to be done in Service B, which included an oil change.

So, couple of questions as I'm not familiar with the new computers:
  1. Will the computer let us know when an oil change is due?
  2. Is there any way to check when the computer was last reset after an oil change?

There's a sticker in her window that says it was due around 35k, but that would mean she's overdue by 5k miles which is just..........

I've asked her to look through the ASSYST Plus menu and not sure what it means, but we found the "oil data record" to be something like 00 00 02, not sure what that means.

She's taking it to the dealer on Thursday to pull the service history, but just looking for some peace of mind if I can find it.....

Any insight is appreciated!

NYCGLK 04-25-2019 06:18 AM

On 2010, GLK just has a service reminder, that will go off in a year or 10k miles. The sticker may have 5k mile interval.
In the assyst menu you should find "xxx miles" or "xxx days" to next service. Not sure if it's different on newer cars. Your owners manual will tell you what and when needs to be serviced.

formerjeepguy 04-26-2019 10:39 AM

I would not be as concerned with getting the history as I would be in getting it changed. Places that put stickers in the window may not have used the right mercedes specific synthetic oil.

An oil change at 35k is not necessarily unusual. Perhaps the first owner was overly cautious and used an accelerated change schedule.

Get it changed and make sure they use the right MB filter and use oil that meets the MB 229.5 spec.

NYCGLK 04-26-2019 08:13 PM

M1 0-40 is $69 at walmart for 15 quarts and then you get 36 dollar rebate from M1. That's enough for 2 oil changes. Get a pack of filters and crush washers at FCP Euro. 20 bucks for oil change and takes less time than driving to dealer/mechanic.

deneb 05-01-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK (Post 7742702)
M1 0-40 is $69 at walmart for 15 quarts .

NY, do you get the oil on your CLK350 changed at Walmart? Just curious. I know that skill levels may vary among the techs. I bring my other vehicles to Walmart, but would be nervous to take the Mercedes.

-deneb

NYCGLK 05-01-2019 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by deneb (Post 7745986)
NY, do you get the oil on your CLK350 changed at Walmart? Just curious. I know that skill levels may vary among the techs. I bring my other vehicles to Walmart, but would be nervous to take the Mercedes.

-deneb

Not aware of walmart chaging oil by me. I just buy oil there and do it myself. Takes less time than taking car somewhere and waiting for it. Oil change on GLK is as simple as it gets. Actually, it’s the easiest out of the 4 cars I own including toyota.

deneb 05-01-2019 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK (Post 7746025)
Actually, it’s the easiest out of the 4 cars I own including toyota.

Wait ... what? This is my first Mercedes. The guy at the auto parts store told me that the Mercedes has an internal oil filter and that I should take it to get it changed by a qualified technician. I just watched the video on YouTube - the oil filter is on TOP of the engine and, except for some rings and a new washer on the drain plug, is a straightforward install. It looks like even a shmegde like me can change it.

I noticed that the oil filter does not come with a new washer, but did come with the rings. Is that a separate part?

NYCGLK 05-01-2019 04:16 PM

Filter comes with rubber rings...I think you need to replace three (large on the cap, and 2 small ones on the “stick”).
Washer is separate.
FCPEuro.com is your friend. You can even mail back your old filter and get a credit...if you want to bother with it. I haven’t. If you can’t find the crush washer just ask them. Don’t over torque the plug or the filter housing. 4matic takes about 7.5 quarts of oil...don’t overfill...deepstick is in the back of the engine.

deneb 05-01-2019 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK (Post 7746206)
Filter comes with rubber rings...I think you need to replace three (large on the cap, and 2 small ones on the “stick”).
Washer is separate.
FCPEuro.com is your friend. You can even mail back your old filter and get a credit...if you want to bother with it. I haven’t. If you can’t find the crush washer just ask them. Don’t over torque the plug or the filter housing. 4matic takes about 7.5 quarts of oil...don’t overfill...deepstick is in the back of the engine.

Thanks! This is great info