MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Considering purchase of a facelift GLK - need opinions (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/743965-considering-purchase-facelift-glk-need-opinions.html)

jcnash 05-07-2019 09:39 AM

Considering purchase of a facelift GLK - need opinions

Long time MBW member here. Used to own a W203 coupe back in the day. Fantastic little car but had to get rid of it about 4 years ago and have been car-less since. Looking to get back into an MB now and considering the facelift GLK (2013 - 2015) or GLC.

Before deciding, I wanted to check in with the X204 experts on here on what I should watch out for on the GLK.

What are the common problems? What are the tell-tale signs of major upcoming problems? Any rust / suspension issues (my previous car had both)?

From the little bit of reading I've done on the forums, it seems like the lift-gate motor and the washer fluid tank are common failure points. How can I check if these issues exist on the GLKs I look at? Anything else to keep in mind?

Also, have you guys and gals found the interior on the GLK to be a bit dated? I absolutely love the exterior design, but not sold on the interior. Are Apple Car Play / Android Auto options even available?

Would really appreciate all your thoughts and guidance on these questions.

Thanks.

Van Ha Nguyen 05-07-2019 11:06 AM

Blind spot radar failure. These things only last like 5 years before they need to be replaced. One on each side.

Front and rear Driveshaft failure

Transfer case leak and failure - requires new transmission or rebuild.

Lane departure camera failure

Panoramic sunroof seal rotting - requires new glass around 4k

Older models will need new struts/shocks

Factory brake rotors tend to warp or pad deposit buildup causing shudder during braking

I love the interior of my 2013. It is a bit dated, but the materials are still good and feel high quality. It's not as quiet, refined or luxurious as my wife's 2019 Mazda cx-9 signature, but then we are comparing way different model years.i think for a 2013, it is still good. I just cant wait to get rid of it. Too many problems. We recently got rid of our 2016 CLA45 AMG with 28k miles. I don't think I will ever buy a Mercedes again. It's nice to drive the 3 pointed star, but not nice when it takes 1-2 months to get a service appointment with so many issues happening.

C280 Sport 05-09-2019 03:20 PM

I looked into a GLC before my GLK. My advice would be to skip the GLC. The 9 speed 4 banger is a awful combo and I do not see it lasting without issues. I found a 2015 GLK350 4M with just 20k miles. Still under warranty as well! I would spend the most you can and look for a last year (2015) and find one with low miles. I have every option on my GLK except designo. I think if you get one that is taken care of and one with options it will not feel dated. The GLC interior while more modern is not put togeather well at all or designed with quality in mind. Rattles and squeeks all around. I drove my father in laws GLC300 and I could not wait to get back in my GLK or ML. The powertrain in the GLK350 is tried and true!

walrusmt 05-12-2019 01:25 PM

My 2010 is still solid. That said, here are the problems I’ve seen:
1. Motor and transmission mount failure, repeated failure. Had them last no more than 6K miles. Best learn to fix yourself since it’s about 800-1200 in a shop.
2. Rotor warp. I swapped from OEM to eBay, haven’t had a problem since.
3. Strut wear. These things ride like a 20 year old Ford F-350. I swapped to bilstein and dumped the 20” rims for some 17” ml500 rims and taller tires- made a huge difference.

good luck

D-rok22 05-14-2019 07:55 PM

I just purchased a 2015 GLK 4-matic in July 2018, so I cant talk much about the long term repairs, but I can offer my 2 cents.

Compared to the GLC, you get so much more bang for you buck. Since the GLK was "discontinued" you get amazing deals for such a fast, well-rounded mercedes, not to mention its a 4wheel drive SUV.

I would say stick to 2015s because you might be able to find some that are still under warranty.
My GLK has the nav package, interior package, larger wheels.
It does not have the Keyless GO or lane departure sensors or back-up camera.
for about $800 and a couple hours of my own time I was able to add my own back up camera and 10.25 android screen. (purchased from 4x4shop canada.

Overall, if I had to go back and re-purchase, I would make sure it had Keyless GO. But I am more than satisfied with my 10.25" screen. It really makes the whole dash look more updated.

jcnash 05-19-2019 11:33 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to follow your advice and am checking out a low mileage 2015 GLK next weekend. If all goes well, I should have her by the middle of June.

Looking forward to many maintenance free miles on this car!!

Please update this thread if you think of anything I should watch out for when I go to test drive the car next weekend.

FlyGLK 06-19-2019 10:30 AM

2015 GLK250

I'M PLEASED WITH 2015 GLK250. I GOT IT WITH 5K DEMO MILES. NOW I GOT OVER 175000 MILES ON IT. HAD MINOR ISSUES BUT WITH MILEAGE, I THINK IT IS VERY RELIABLE AND REASONABLE. DIESEL ENGINE IS STILL STRONG AS IT WAS.
I STILL HAVE CPO UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY TILL FEB 2016 WHICH COVER MAJOR COMPONENTS.

tawatts 06-21-2019 08:03 AM

I picked up 2013 GLK350 3Matic, love it. Added a 10.25" screen and a backup camera and no complaints at all then with the interior and technology. I find the suspension a bit soft, so am putting coil overs in it next Friday. I've already put on a nice set of 20" wheels and rubber. Power is decent. I think you will be quite happy with the purchase. (I've only had mine for 4 months, so not a long time owner though)

C280 Sport 06-22-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by tawatts (Post 7784445)
I picked up 2013 GLK350 3Matic, love it. Added a 10.25" screen and a backup camera and no complaints at all then with the interior and technology. I find the suspension a bit soft, so am putting coil overs in it next Friday. I've already put on a nice set of 20" wheels and rubber. Power is decent. I think you will be quite happy with the purchase. (I've only had mine for 4 months, so not a long time owner though)

Post some pics.

tawatts 06-22-2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport (Post 7785634)
Post some pics.

Here is a couple of shots of my GLK350

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e147df718.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9c7dfe4ac.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...01c4e2c81.jpeg