GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK - how to disassemble center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK250, 2007 Mazda 3 GT, 2004 Honda XR400R
2014 GLK - how to disassemble center console

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take the center console out of my 2014 GLK. I have two wires that I'd like to fish into the inside near the USB and MMI connections, but I can't get beyond getting the top cover piece removed. I looked around YouTube and couldn't find a video on it either. Anyone here able to help?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 GLK350 4Matic; 2010 Audi A4 Quattro; 2004 Yamaha R1
I've had mine in and out over the last couple weeks so many times I can do it blindfolded … seriously! Super easy once you know where all of the bits are hidden. I've been running wires for a new 10.25" android display, backup camera etc.
Where are you trying to fish wires from? and to confirm you are wanting to bring them up into the back compartment of the centre console, or into the front compartment near the dash? I found some youtube videos to get me started … I'll see if I can find them again and put the link in your thread.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 PM

• (to expose two screws), looks different, but same idea for our year - Ignore the ashtray portion as it doesn't apply.
  • Once the climate controls have been removed, the trim around where a gear shift would normally be located (front compartment) you need to carefully, but firmly pull up on the trim about 1" back from each front inner corner (where clips are). Only two clips, then it pulls up at the front, and the rear of the trim piece just follows. There are two screws at the back near the cup holders under the trim, and two screws at the front holding the centre console to the dash.
  • inside the front compartment with the sliding cover back to expose the inside, remove the bottom rubberized cover. Then you will see that the ashtray section comes out easily by just pulling up at the front of the ashtray section lightly while pushing in each of (2) little plastic cutouts. Then the ashtray is loose with two wire sockets to unplug.
  • Near the cup holder, there is a small rectangular pocket with a rubberized insert, remove the insert and you will see one small screw to remove
  • , two small screws at the back of the rear console compartment
  • pull up on the rear compartment, there is a ribbon cable for the command dial, so you won't be able to go too far, be careful not to tug on the wire too much before unplugging it.
  • Under the rear air vents is the rear ashtray, pull firmly straight back, it is held in by two clips.
  • Once the rear ashtray has been removed there are two 10mm nuts holding the console to the body.
I'm going off memory, but I think that's pretty much it. Holler if you get stuck.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK250, 2007 Mazda 3 GT, 2004 Honda XR400R
Trying to get a lightning cable and an 1/8" audio line into the deep body of the center console near the other USB and MMI plugs. Don't need into the dash, already did that part.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLK350
so just to be clear, the only way to remove the sliding cover is that you have to remove the rear armrest all together too?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by bmwstephen
so just to be clear, the only way to remove the sliding cover is that you have to remove the rear armrest all together too?
No, the sliding cover at the front of the console just pulls up once you have removed the trim for the heater controls and removed the two screws that hold it in place. The heater controls just need to put to the side (don't need to disconnect the wiring, just move it to the side to have more room)
You can start to pull up the slider cover starting at the back of it, then you will realize that the heater controls need to be removed since it partly covers the front of the slider trim.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:13 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by tawatts
No, the sliding cover at the front of the console just pulls up once you have removed the trim for the heater controls and removed the two screws that hold it in place. The heater controls just need to put to the side (don't need to disconnect the wiring, just move it to the side to have more room)
You can start to pull up the slider cover starting at the back of it, then you will realize that the heater controls need to be removed since it partly covers the front of the slider trim.
i see maybe i should be asking a different question. How do i remove the sliders’s frame then? Like I said I am trying to fish some lines to the storage under the armrest from the radio and I can’t find a good openlng
Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by bmwstephen
i see maybe i should be asking a different question. How do i remove the sliders’s frame then? Like I said I am trying to fish some lines to the storage under the armrest from the radio and I can’t find a good opening
OK ... if you want to fish wires all of the way from the radio at the front of the console, into the rear compartment at the back of the console, the console will need to be fully disassembled to be able to feed the wires into the bottom of the rear compartment.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:28 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by tawatts
OK ... if you want to fish wires all of the way from the radio at the front of the console, into the rear compartment at the back of the console, the console will need to be fully disassembled to be able to feed the wires into the bottom of the rear compartment.
dang it. So start with rear armrest before the front tray can be removed?