GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Need help driving the GLK with paddles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK350
Need help driving the GLK with paddles

So I'm coming down from Big Bear on the switchback side and I prefer to not ride the brakes for an hour. Yes an hour, as there was a temp. red light 1/2 way up/down that would let about 50 cars at a time go one lane. Going up on Thursday we got one RL going down Sunday about 10. Should have gone the "other" way Sunday.

So I'm selecting 2nd & 3rd and most auto trannys I drive will stay there (in manual mode). But not old GLK, keeps up shifting up on the brief levels.

Did I need to do something else to tell Mr. smarty transmission to stop it?

Thanks.

B

PS The one time I it would make sense to use the auto stop/start (this RL fiasco) it was only working intermittently? Is there an altitude sensor or a/c sensor or some other input that tells the auto stop/start when it should or should not function? I could not figure it out. It was pretty random whether it cycled or not. Yes full stop for 3 -4 min. each. I know there is a time delay.

Other than those two items GLK was flawless and a lot of fun to drive. Once on the freeway I could safely thread my way thru the "sleepy" drivers @ about 80-90 and very stealthy as nobody is expecting a white glk to move that way.

One last, tire recommendations as it's coming due this fall (NOT runflats). The Conti's are fine/ok but there are probably better.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-24-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I run Michelin premiere LTX tires and they are much better than the stock contis. It doesn't snow here so I cannot attest to their all weather capability.

I don't see any way in the manual to force the transmission into a lower gear. However, you might try shifting to "S" for sport mode that allows higher engine rpm and later shifts. From the book:
------------------------------------
Manual drive program M General notes
In this drive program, you can briefly change gear yourself by using the steering wheel paddle shifters. The transmission must be in position D.
You can activate manual drive program M in the E and S automatic drive programs.
Activating
X Shift the transmission to position D.
X Pull the left or right steering wheel paddle shifter (Y page 160).
Manual drive program M is temporarily activated. The selected gear and M appear in the multifunction display.
Shifting gears
If you pull on the left or right steering wheel paddle shifter, the automatic transmission switches to manual drive program M for a limited amount of time. Depending on which paddle shifter is pulled, the automatic transmission immediately shifts into the next gear down or up, if permitted.
X To shift up: pull the right-hand steering wheel paddle shifter (Y page 160).
The automatic transmission shifts up to the next gear.

i If the maximum engine speed on the currently engaged gear is reached and you continue to accelerate, the automatic
transmission automatically shifts up in order to prevent engine damage.

X To shift down: pull on the left-hand steering wheel paddle shifter (Y page 160). The automatic transmission shifts down to the next gear.

i If the engine exceeds the maximum engine speed when shifting down, the automatic transmission protects against engine damage by not shifting down.

i Automatic down shifting occurs when coasting.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
I run Michelin premiere LTX tires and they are much better than the stock contis. It doesn't snow here so I cannot attest to their all weather capability.

I don't see any way in the manual to force the transmission into a lower gear. However, you might try shifting to "S" for sport mode that allows higher engine rpm and later shifts. From the book:
------------------------------------
Manual drive program M General notes
In this drive program, you can briefly change gear yourself by using the steering wheel paddle shifters. The transmission must be in position D.
You can activate manual drive program M in the E and S automatic drive programs.
Activating
X Shift the transmission to position D.
X Pull the left or right steering wheel paddle shifter (Y page 160).
Manual drive program M is temporarily activated. The selected gear and M appear in the multifunction display.
Shifting gears
If you pull on the left or right steering wheel paddle shifter, the automatic transmission switches to manual drive program M for a limited amount of time. Depending on which paddle shifter is pulled, the automatic transmission immediately shifts into the next gear down or up, if permitted.
X To shift up: pull the right-hand steering wheel paddle shifter (Y page 160).
The automatic transmission shifts up to the next gear.

i If the maximum engine speed on the currently engaged gear is reached and you continue to accelerate, the automatic
transmission automatically shifts up in order to prevent engine damage.

X To shift down: pull on the left-hand steering wheel paddle shifter (Y page 160). The automatic transmission shifts down to the next gear.

i If the engine exceeds the maximum engine speed when shifting down, the automatic transmission protects against engine damage by not shifting down.

i Automatic down shifting occurs when coasting.
Thanks, there is no problem getting it to down shift, all day long, the problem is it does not STAY downshifted. This is actually a convenience on the freeway, say you go down 7 to 6 for a pass without having to "floor it", then it goes back to 7 by itself. But on a down hill I want it to STAY in the lower gear.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 GLK350 4Matic; 2010 Audi A4 Quattro; 2004 Yamaha R1
Are you switching to manual shifting mode? The button on the dash to cycle between "E" "S" & "M". Once in "M" mode, it is full manual. Only way to shift up and down is with the paddle shifters.

If you are in "S" or "E" and you use the paddles to shift up or down, it will still shift for you as it would in an "Auto" mode.

This has been my experience at least. I've only had mine for a few months though.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:12 PM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by froggy47
Thanks, there is no problem getting it to down shift, all day long, the problem is it does not STAY downshifted. This is actually a convenience on the freeway, say you go down 7 to 6 for a pass without having to "floor it", then it goes back to 7 by itself. But on a down hill I want it to STAY in the lower gear.

Yes. I saw that. The book says it will not hold the gear.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:15 PM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by tawatts
Are you switching to manual shifting mode? The button on the dash to cycle between "E" "S" & "M". Once in "M" mode, it is full manual. Only way to shift up and down is with the paddle shifters.

If you are in "S" or "E" and you use the paddles to shift up or down, it will still shift for you as it would in an "Auto" mode.

This has been my experience at least. I've only had mine for a few months though.
From what I read manual mode is temporary and you get there with the paddle shifters. Do you know of a way to go to manual mode where it will not go back to automatic?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:06 AM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
From what I read manual mode is temporary and you get there with the paddle shifters. Do you know of a way to go to manual mode where it will not go back to automatic?
It DOES go to "m" "m" shows on the dash when it is in "m" but then without my control/input it just shifts itself back to full automatic. Like on a freeway. But this is GOING DOWN A MOUNTAIN. I don't want that to happen.

So I am agreeing with what I quoted above. We want it to STAY in MANUAL mode. And I might add, not by continually pressing downshift paddle. If anyone is going to suggest that, you never know

Last edited by froggy47; 06-25-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
The only way to keep it in the gear you want on a downhill run is to keep your foot off the go pedal. You have to reach that happy medium where the engine brake prevents your speed from increasing and also you don't lose any speed so that you have to give it any throttle either. Basically coasting in gear at the right speed. Doing that will keep it in the chosen gear until you touch the throttle again.

You could also try setting your cruise control for that "just right" speed going downhill and manually select the gear you want; that might work but I haven't tried it. The method above works every time.

Your other option is some sort of ECU and/or TCU tune.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by andreigbs
The only way to keep it in the gear you want on a downhill run is to keep your foot off the go pedal. You have to reach that happy medium where the engine brake prevents your speed from increasing and also you don't lose any speed so that you have to give it any throttle either. Basically coasting in gear at the right speed. Doing that will keep it in the chosen gear until you touch the throttle again.

You could also try setting your cruise control for that "just right" speed going downhill and manually select the gear you want; that might work but I haven't tried it. The method above works every time.

Your other option is some sort of ECU and/or TCU tune.
It seems like you actually know something about what I am asking, not a guess. Well all that said, bah on the stupid German engineers that came up with this. Don't they have mountains and traffic in Germany? It's a stupid design.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
They do have plenty of hills and mountains in Europe, and likely also have GLKs equipped with manual transmissions across the pond, so that may be a non-issue.

We recently did a roadtrip to NC and back, encountering a few steep grades. The method I used was to downshift to the gear of choice (turned out 4th worked best) and that kept my descent speed in check at or below 3500 rpms, didn't need to speed up or slow down, hardly ever had to touch the brakes. You could smell the hot asbestos from other vehicles though. On the inclines, our little diesel was running full speed ahead putting most cars, SUVs and pick-em-ups to shame.

Oh, almost forgot: add another vote for the Michelin Premier LTXs. Ditched the run-flats and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:21 PM

2015 GLK350
They do have plenty of hills and mountains in Europe, and likely also have GLKs equipped with manual transmissions across the pond, so that may be a non-issue.

We recently did a roadtrip to NC and back, encountering a few steep grades. The method I used was to downshift to the gear of choice (turned out 4th worked best) and that kept my descent speed in check at or below 3500 rpms, didn't need to speed up or slow down, hardly ever had to touch the brakes. You could smell the hot asbestos from other vehicles though. On the inclines, our little diesel was running full speed ahead putting most cars, SUVs and pick-em-ups to shame.

Oh, almost forgot: add another vote for the Michelin Premier LTXs. Ditched the run-flats and couldn't be happier.
Hi & thanks, I was in a lot of traffic, everyone leaves Big Bear at the same time, ugh. Could not set my own pace.

OTOH it was an awesome weekend with 18 mo old granddaughter.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You guy's know about the "3-sec Left Paddle-Pull" - right - or not ?
Old 06-26-2019, 01:19 AM

2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
You guy's know about the "3-sec Left Paddle-Pull" - right - or not ?

So, no idea, tell us.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Indeed, spare us the suspense. What does this maneuver accomplish??
Old 06-28-2019, 04:31 PM

2015 GLK350
Indeed, spare us the suspense. What does this maneuver accomplish??
Maybe a troll, been 4 days since he posted that click bait.

Old trick, you guy's know about "x" right? Never says what "x" is. Seen it before.

Found it, multi gear shift, really not on target for what we are discussing.

No offense calling you a troll guy.

Well... it is common that owner's have not been informed of the design intention of the MB "paddle system" - which has been the same shifter over ride system used since late '90's on the 5-speed and 6-speed MB trannies.

The design intention is to give you a faster/easier way to access "power gear" for passing or for engine-assisted braking, especially if running in "E" mode which is full 7-speed tranny operation.

This is the "3-second" pull procedure (actually 2 1/2 seconds) - pull/hold left paddle - 1st sec tranny downshifts 1 gear - then in following sec+ tranny will "jump" down multiple remaining gears as necessary (usalkly "jumping" another 2 gears in most situations) to correct power gear for that speed.. faster and smoother than kick down has been my experience and the experience of my customers.

Use that "power gear" to accelerate for passing - you can up shift single successive gear with single 1-sec right-paddle-pull - or use 3-sec right paddle-pull to return to automatic.

Or use that 3-sec right paddle pull to access "power gear" to add engine braking power at that speed - if you continue decelerating you can continue added engine deceleration with 1-sec left paddle pull to downshift additional successive single lower gears as necessary as speed continues to drop - or use 3-sec right paddle pull to return up shift to auto.

With SUV's this is added "menu" to experiment with your personal drive style... and most owner's love it - since it is quicker/smoother than kick-down for acceleration when you want that - and adding/easy engine-brake assist when you want that too..

Last edited by froggy47; 06-28-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Interesting stuff, I’ll have to try it out.

If I remember...
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 and 2015 GLK250
This ^ ^ ^ ^ did not work for me. What I did discover last summer on a 3000 mile vacation trip through the western states is that the cruise control will cause the car to downshift and hold lower gears for miles at a time while descending a mountain. You can get the benefit of some engine braking, however, you can still tell that the car is using the brakes as well.

But, as the OP discovered, just using the left paddle is only temporary. So, I'll just stick with the cruise control - I especially like the +/- 5 mph feature. Wish all of my cars had it.