MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Brake fluid (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/748955-brake-fluid.html)

Ouishank 06-29-2019 12:01 PM

Brake fluid

I want to flush the fluid. I have 2 liters of genuine VW/Audi fluid on hand, which is Dot 4. The boiling points match Mercedes specs. I would think that this would be very quality fluid since Audi’s also cost a lot. They very well could use the same part suppliers. Mercedes specs aren’t listed on it, but why would they test for that? I hate to go buy two liters of another fluid when I have this on hand. Has anyone used it before in a Mercedes? I find it hard to believe it will ruin the brake system.

Thanks.

Marek_Norway 06-29-2019 01:01 PM

Mercedes GLK requires brake fluid DOT 4+, I wouldn't speculate about this, it's not expensive and you need only 0,5 litre.

formerjeepguy 06-30-2019 08:56 AM

I agree with Marek. If the fluid does not specifically say that it meets the Mercedes specifications then don't use it. You can't just guess that because it is expensive it must be good and compatible. While the boiling point may be ok, how do you know that it does not contain chemicals that could prematurely corrode or otherwise compromise the materials used in the flexible seals? I would rather spend a little bit of money on proper fluid than suffer blown out caliper seals down the road.

andreigbs 06-30-2019 11:24 AM

Agreed; something that needs doing only every 2 years isn’t where I’d try to skimp, especially being a safety issue.

Use the MB spec stuff and save your VW/Audi fluid for those applications.

Ouishank 06-30-2019 11:56 AM

I just ordered Pentosin Super Dot 4 and will use it. Thanks.

FullMoonParty 06-30-2019 03:40 PM

And is there a procedure to bleed the ABS pump that can be done DIY?

NYCGLK 07-02-2019 11:29 PM

I'd use whatever DOT4 you have. There is no magic about it.

NYCGLK 07-02-2019 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by FullMoonParty (Post 7791670)
And is there a procedure to bleed the ABS pump that can be done DIY?

brake hard on slippery surface.

NYCGLK 07-02-2019 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Marek_Norway (Post 7791014)
Mercedes GLK requires brake fluid DOT 4+, I wouldn't speculate about this, it's not expensive and you need only 0,5 litre.

For a flush I'd put at least a liter of new fluid through.

NYCGLK 07-02-2019 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy (Post 7791451)
I agree with Marek. If the fluid does not specifically say that it meets the Mercedes specifications then don't use it. You can't just guess that because it is expensive it must be good and compatible. While the boiling point may be ok, how do you know that it does not contain chemicals that could prematurely corrode or otherwise compromise the materials used in the flexible seals? I would rather spend a little bit of money on proper fluid than suffer blown out caliper seals down the road.

You think VW and MB use different seals not compatible with different DOT 4 fluids? C'mon, give them a bit more credit. Corrode rubber rubber seals...this makes zero sense. The road salt will kill your calipers before any brake fluid. I've never used MB fluid in the past 8 years / 80k miles.