GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2015 GLK 350 Apple CarPlay Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300, 2015 GLK 350
2015 GLK 350 Apple CarPlay Question

Hi all, what is the best way to get Apple CarPlay in a 2015 GLK 350? I’d prefer to have the touch screen ability, but I’m not picky. Anyone have any links or recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2023, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
You'll probably need to upgrade (ie, replace) the headunit. There are a few threads around that document the process. Search is your friend.
The following users liked this post:
Bill F (02-27-2024)
Old 08-29-2023, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 GLK 350
Any luck?
Old 01-17-2024, 11:50 AM

GLK 250
Carplay can be installed using the existing screen. It’s not big, but it’s still in colour. I’m having some issues keeping it connected, so I’m actually at the installer’s shop right now. My option cost me $850 CDN. To replace the screen it would have been $3,400.
Mine is a GLK 250 with the 360 cameras, so now I also have an issue with the park assist not working.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:30 AM

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
2011 GLK 550
Ouch. The carplay boxes that keep the existing screen are $200 on aliexpress. The android auto/apple carplay radios that replace the screen are usually $300-500. $3400 is absurd.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:12 AM
Veteran: Canadian Forces

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK 250 Bluetec
I just installed an android system I bought from Alibaba. I think it is a massive improvement over the originally screen.

Max1988 (03-23-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 01:23 AM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
On my 2014GLK with NTG4.5, I used a CarlinKit. It's a unit that installs between the display and the head unit, and give you Wireless carPaly and Android Auto, as well as screen mirrorring. once installed the car doesn't look any different than what it was befpore, since everything else is retained, the display, microphone, original command, etc. Once paired to your phone, it will connect t your phone within 10-20 seconds of starting the car, and immediately default to carPlay or androidAuto depending on the phone it connects to. You control it using the same jog dial/joystick control you use from the regular command, and can drop in and out by pressing the back button next to the jog dial.

This unit used to be available on Amazon.com, but CarlinKit no longer makes one compatible with NTG4.5. You can still find them or clones of it on eBay though. Just do a search for Wireless CarPlay NTG4.5.

A few weeks ago, my 2014GLK got totaled by a firetruck while parked on the street, and I now bought a 2015 GLK350. This particular car came with the Becker navigation system. This one is even easier to do. The NTG 4.5/Becker has a navigation module in a dock inside the golve compartment. The Wireless CarPlay module simply replaces the Becker navi module in the dock. When you press the NAVI button on the dashboard it instantly drops you into the module menu where you can choose CarPlay, AndroidAuto, audio playback (from external media) or screen mirroring. All you need to do ahead of time is pair you phone with the module and select Bluetooth audio from the Audio source menu of the Command unit. After that it's all automatic.

The OEM backup camera, the microphone, and all the steering wheel commands work transparently. The only thing you no longer have is the original Becker navigation, since you replaced the module with the CarPaly one, but then again, you have access to the CarPlay Maps which are up to date anyway.

So as you can see, 2 great options available that integrate into the existing hardware.
beckham388 (05-28-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Our Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto integration kit will give you the ability to add-on functions for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to your Mercedes’s existing entertainment system.
To control and switch the apps within Carplay, it is integrated with your vehicle’s knob controls and original touchscreen.
Or you can control it with your voice thanks to Siri/Google Assistant.
You will not lose any functions from your original system, the integration kit will work as an added function.
The kits will come with the required module and all the necessary wires to complete installation in your vehicle.

Version 2 Improvements:

– No need for a separate Microphone for Siri/Google Assistant as the kit uses Original microphone
Wireless AndroidAuto is now supportedFeatures of our kit:

– Wired/Wireless Apple CarPlay
– Wired/Wireless Android Auto
– Easy control with vehicles built-in controls
– If your vehicle has original Rear View/Surround View cameras, those will continue working the same way
– This module can be extended with Front/Rear view camera (if your vehicle didn’t come with those originally from the factory)
– The installation is completely plug & play and 100% reversible.
– Supports touch screen.

LINK:https://carlinklife.com/products/wir...reverse-camera

Enjoy $30 OFF + Worldwide Free shipping ! (USE CODE: mbworld )
Only for mbworld forum members!

Last edited by Carlinklife; 01-22-2024 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:05 PM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Originally Posted by Carlinklife
Our Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto integration kit will give you the ability to add-on functions for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to your Mercedes’s existing entertainment system.
To control and switch the apps within Carplay, it is integrated with your vehicle’s knob controls and original touchscreen.
Or you can control it with your voice thanks to Siri/Google Assistant.
You will not lose any functions from your original system, the integration kit will work as an added function.
The kits will come with the required module and all the necessary wires to complete installation in your vehicle.

Version 2 Improvements:

– No need for a separate Microphone for Siri/Google Assistant as the kit uses Original microphone
Wireless AndroidAuto is now supportedFeatures of our kit:

– Wired/Wireless Apple CarPlay
– Wired/Wireless Android Auto
– Easy control with vehicles built-in controls
– If your vehicle has original Rear View/Surround View cameras, those will continue working the same way
– This module can be extended with Front/Rear view camera (if your vehicle didn’t come with those originally from the factory)
– The installation is completely plug & play and 100% reversible.
– Supports touch screen.

LINK:https://carlinklife.com/products/wir...reverse-camera

Enjoy $30 OFF + Worldwide Free shipping ! (USE CODE: mbworld )
Only for mbworld forum members!
So, I was curios and went to the website, and for a company that is supposed to make a product specific to a Mercedes model, it's disturbing to see the immediate error, which if I didn't know any better, would most likely get me to buy the wrong device. Here is what the link provided shows regarding the NTG 4.5/4.7 compatibility:

Perhaps someone there should go back and learn how to identify NTG 4.0, 4.5 and 4.7. I'm not so sure I'd buy a product from here.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:31 PM

2014 GLK 250
Auxiliary audio question on NTG 4.5 wireless Carplay module install

I successfully installed a NTG4.5/4.7 wireless CarPlay module to my 2015 GLK 250 using the original screen. It works as expected except I can't get the audio to work on auxiliary. I watched many videos on Youtube about enabling aux port, however, my car's engineering mode is very different. And I also believe the aux has always been enabled on my car as I am able to switch the audio source to aux in the car's original infotainment system (outside of CarPlay). So, how currently my NTG4.5 works on my car is that CarPlay connects to my iPhone through WiFi while my iPhone is still directly connected to my car's Bluetooth for audio. Additionally, I drilled a big enough hole in the glove box on the central console side. The NTG box, the USB cable, the antenna, and a bunch of unused cables and connectors are in my glove box. I think that is a cleaner installation and in case the NTG box freezes on me or dies, I can easily reboot, replace it or upgrade it. Anyhow, my question is:

1. Assuming aux channel has been enabled, how does NTG box connect to car audio auxiliary? My NTG does have a 3.5mm male plug (I am not sure it is an input or output though), but do I suppose to plug it into my car somewhere? One Youtube video shows there might be auxiliary cable available within the passenger's door frame. But the guy in the video had an older GLK. I am not sure if I want to take that route at this moment.

2. Another guy told me I need OBD code to enable my aux. He thinks my car aux isn't enabled. But this guy never had a closer look on my car. I believe it is enabled. The problem is where to find the aux input port.

3. Is it because I am a newbie, so that I am unable to post photos?

More info on my NTG install. On the back of the stereo unit, there are GREEN, PINK, BLUISH GREY connectors. For my car, there is nothing on the green. One cable on the pink that I didn't touch. The grey connector is linked to my NTG, that is video signal cable. The big black square plug is for power and optical audio connector to the speakers which my guessed it because without the optical connection my car has no sound at all (FM, AM, bluetooth...)

Please help. And if anyone has questions on how to install NTG4.5 on a 2014/15 GLK, I am willing to help too.

Last edited by titanxie; 02-27-2024 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Thanks.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:53 PM

2014 GLK 250
You gotta talk to the seller, make sure they understand your car model and year. I don't use AliExpress. I bought mine on TaoBao because I speak Chinese. Those sellers aren't dumb. Found a seller that has many successful sales. Having wireless carplay just makes you love your car more. A must have feature for anyone owns a car really.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by titanxie
I successfully installed a NTG4.5/4.7 wireless CarPlay module to my 2015 GLK 250 using the original screen. It works as expected except I can't get the audio to work on auxiliary. I watched many videos on Youtube about enabling aux port, however, my car's engineering mode is very different. And I also believe the aux has always been enabled on my car as I am able to switch the audio source to aux in the car's original infotainment system (outside of CarPlay). So, how currently my NTG4.5 works on my car is that CarPlay connects to my iPhone through WiFi while my iPhone is still directly connected to my car's Bluetooth for audio. Additionally, I drilled a big enough hole in the glove box on the central console side. The NTG box, the USB cable, the antenna, and a bunch of unused cables and connectors are in my glove box. I think that is a cleaner installation and in case the NTG box freezes on me or dies, I can easily reboot, replace it or upgrade it. Anyhow, my question is:

1. Assuming aux channel has been enabled, how does NTG box connect to car audio auxiliary? My NTG does have a 3.5mm male plug (I am not sure it is an input or output though), but do I suppose to plug it into my car somewhere? One Youtube video shows there might be auxiliary cable available within the passenger's door frame. But the guy in the video had an older GLK. I am not sure if I want to take that route at this moment.

2. Another guy told me I need OBD code to enable my aux. He thinks my car aux isn't enabled. But this guy never had a closer look on my car. I believe it is enabled. The problem is where to find the aux input port.

More info on my NTG install. On the back of the stereo unit, there are GREEN, PINK, BLUISH GREY connectors. For my car, there is nothing on the green. One cable on the pink that I didn't touch. The grey connector is linked to my NTG, that is video signal cable. The big black square plug is for power and optical audio connector to the speakers which my guessed it because without the optical connection my car has no sound at all (FM, AM, bluetooth...)

Please help. And if anyone has questions on how to install NTG4.5 on a 2014/15 GLK, I am willing to help too.
Contact me :Weixin 13397530198
Old 02-28-2024, 02:58 PM

2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Carlinklife
Contact me :Weixin 13397530198
I have ordered a NTG 4.5 AUX activator on AliExpress. I will post the result.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I have ordered a NTG 4.5 AUX activator on AliExpress. I will post the result.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tvR...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 02-28-2024, 03:10 PM

2014 GLK 250
I've tried to do this. My engineering mode is completely different.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Is there any sound in the original car system? FM bluetooth?
Old 02-28-2024, 03:31 PM

2014 GLK 250
Of course. The original car stereo system still works fine. I can switch between the original system and CarPlay back and forth easily. I've been told by the NTG4.5 seller and the AUX activator seller that the AUX activator will unlock the aux channel for NTG4.5 to deliver audio directly to my stereo.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:17 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
I'm not sure if the NTG4.5 is the same as the NTG4.0, but I just cleared that particular hurdle on my 2011 GLK. I'd replaced the head / control / radio unit because the CD/DVD drive died in the middle of a GPS update, and the new unit had nice updates, but no Aux.

I had a lot of trouble running down the details (no one here seemed to know the recipe for the secret sauce), but I was finally able to work out how to enable the Aux functionality without DISabling anything. That's good because I had previously installed a Bluetooth streaming adapter that plugged into the iPod interface that works through the Aux function.

And as (almost) always, I did a video... ;-)

Old 02-28-2024, 08:45 PM
Veteran: Canadian Forces

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK 250 Bluetec
I am not sure what is going on with the engineering mode, but it does not appear to be factory. I was able to activate the aux mode via the engineering mode in my 2015 GLK with NTG 4.7.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:36 PM

2014 GLK 250
I have found a couple of other owners on the internet who have the same engineering mode interface as mine, which doesn't have the auxiliary on/off option. My guess is that because I didn't purchase the Mercedes navigation and backup camera, the car manufacture just loaded a different version of the operating system. I have just purchased a NTG4.5 Aux activator from Aliexpress. It is supposed to unlock the feature. I will post result once I receive the unit in a few weeks if not months... can't wait lol.
Old 06-09-2024, 04:18 PM

GLK350
CarLinkLife for 2015 GLK350 4Matic

Originally Posted by titanxie;[url=tel:8931090
8931090[/url]]I successfully installed a NTG4.5/4.7 wireless CarPlay module to my 2015 GLK 250 using the original screen. It works as expected except I can't get the audio to work on auxiliary. I watched many videos on Youtube about enabling aux port, however, my car's engineering mode is very different. And I also believe the aux has always been enabled on my car as I am able to switch the audio source to aux in the car's original infotainment system (outside of CarPlay). So, how currently my NTG4.5 works on my car is that CarPlay connects to my iPhone through WiFi while my iPhone is still directly connected to my car's Bluetooth for audio. Additionally, I drilled a big enough hole in the glove box on the central console side. The NTG box, the USB cable, the antenna, and a bunch of unused cables and connectors are in my glove box. I think that is a cleaner installation and in case the NTG box freezes on me or dies, I can easily reboot, replace it or upgrade it. Anyhow, my question is:

I have the same issue as you with my 2015 GLK350 4Matic. One slight difference was mine has SirusXM and Navigation. But just like your install I had no audio even with the "AUX" port set to "on". I was able to get audio by doing the same thing as you, enabling the Mercedes Bluetooth connection to my iPhone 13 Pro. Also I noticed when I set the "AUX" to on, I lost access to my SiriusXM functionality. So until this gets figured out, I'm not using the "AUX" port for audio.

Last edited by beckham388; 06-09-2024 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 06-10-2024, 02:42 AM

2014 GLK 250
The AUX physical port for my GLK is located at the bottom of the central storage box. And to use it you need an adaptor cable. I found mine that came with the vehicle, connected everything physically, enabled AUX in the settings, and it worked. The volume was really low though. Because of this, plus the pain of running physical wires, I have decided to stick with Bluetooth connection.

P.S. I spent 70 bucks on the AUX activator. It did unlock some features in the system. But no help on my problem on my particular GLK model year.
Old 06-10-2024, 08:10 AM

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
2011 GLK 550
The AUX physical port for my GLK is located at the bottom of the central storage box. And to use it you need an adaptor cable. I found mine that came with the vehicle, connected everything physically, enabled AUX in the settings, and it worked. The volume was really low though. Because of this, plus the pain of running physical wires, I have decided to stick with Bluetooth connection.

P.S. I spent 70 bucks on the AUX activator. It did unlock some features in the system. But no help on my problem on my particular GLK model year.
My aux port is in the glove box, are you saying yours is in the center console? I know some 204s have an ipod interface plug in the center console along with the USB port.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:24 AM

GLK350
AUX Port Location 2015 GLK350

Yes, my AUX port is located in the center console armrest with a low power USB port. Update, I was able to get my SiriusXM Sat to work again. At this point, I'd be happy if the USB direct connect between the phone and the CarLinkLife Carplay device would just send audio. I like having access to all my MB music audio options.

Center console

Last edited by beckham388; 06-10-2024 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 06-10-2024, 12:44 PM

2014 GLK 250
@angryartichoke I must have had a brain fog. I meant the central armrest storage box.

@beckham388 Ok, your GLK is same as mine, except mine is a diesel. I don't think SiriusXM Satellite Radio can work in NTG. Even if you managed to feed SiriusXM audio to NTG, NTG user interface lacks of a player app for SiriusXM. How do you switch between MB and NTG? For mine, it is very easy, just to long press the back button beside the knob by the armrest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 GLK 350 Apple CarPlay Question