2nd test drive, time to buy it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
2nd test drive, time to buy it.

So I went for a second test drive yesterday. I test drove one when it came out and was not very impressed. The main thing that bothered me were the breaks, they didn't feel strong enough. Well this time I think the test car was a bit more broken in, the breaks are fine. I think this time car was also willing to let rpm's go higher (I put it in the "sport" mode right away), so it also felt faster. I asked guy to go on a faster road, so I was able to hit 80mph. It picked up speed very well. Ok, it's not 335 I test drove, but extra second or 2 does not make much difference. The road was also twisty so I was able to see a bit of hadling at 40-60mph, which was great for me. Even tho this is an SUV it inpires confidence in turns compared to my other 2 toyotas I've had (solara with summer tires and matrix). And don't get me wrong I used go in turns screaching tires many times in my old cars, I like to push them. This car definitely feels much more well planted and much more solid. I like spirited driving quite a bit and was afraid that SUV would take it away, but I think it won't be the case with GLK. To those who think SUV is bad driver's car, BS. I enjoyed driving this car as much as 335, A4, and G37. Yes it's slightly slower, and does not give you as much feedback, on good roads. However, on crappy 40mph roads or carppy highways, it's much easier to live with GLK then with any of the above cars. I'm big fan sports cars, but will be getting GLK, cuz it's an awesome car and fits our (me and my fiances) lifestyles perfectely. Maybe will get a second car some thing along the lines or 370Z, 135i or new Z4. But for now I will be ordering GLK next week unless my saleman can find exact combo I'm looking for.

And btw deals are awesome, got a price quote on 46.8k car for 42.5 plus 1.9% for 66 months. Gotta love recessions.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
my wife has a toyota matrix too. a 2005 gray 4wd.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I am really impressed with the handling of the GLK, I have the 4matic version. I went to an SLK meet yesterday to see if I could find any good tuning ideas for our 3.5's. Anyways part of the meet consisted of a drive through the mountains from San Jose to Sunol...very twisty one lane road. On multiple sections of the drive the SLK's picked the pace up and the GLK hit the turns right with them never sliding or feeling like it was going to lose traction. I am sure I surprised some of those guys. Can't wait to get the motor and suspension tuned.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by veerodder
my wife has a toyota matrix too. a 2005 gray 4wd.
ours is 03' Xr with only 30k miles. It's ok car, just way to slow for me. I find myself flooring it every time.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
Go for it NYCGLK! I just picked up mine this weekend, loving it so far!

I'll post some pix and 1st impression soon.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
So I went for a second test drive yesterday. I test drove one when it came out and was not very impressed. The main thing that bothered me were the breaks, they didn't feel strong enough. Well this time I think the test car was a bit more broken in, the breaks are fine. I think this time car was also willing to let rpm's go higher (I put it in the "sport" mode right away), so it also felt faster. I asked guy to go on a faster road, so I was able to hit 80mph. It picked up speed very well. Ok, it's not 335 I test drove, but extra second or 2 does not make much difference. The road was also twisty so I was able to see a bit of hadling at 40-60mph, which was great for me. Even tho this is an SUV it inpires confidence in turns compared to my other 2 toyotas I've had (solara with summer tires and matrix). And don't get me wrong I used go in turns screaching tires many times in my old cars, I like to push them. This car definitely feels much more well planted and much more solid. I like spirited driving quite a bit and was afraid that SUV would take it away, but I think it won't be the case with GLK. To those who think SUV is bad driver's car, BS. I enjoyed driving this car as much as 335, A4, and G37. Yes it's slightly slower, and does not give you as much feedback, on good roads. However, on crappy 40mph roads or carppy highways, it's much easier to live with GLK then with any of the above cars. I'm big fan sports cars, but will be getting GLK, cuz it's an awesome car and fits our (me and my fiances) lifestyles perfectely. Maybe will get a second car some thing along the lines or 370Z, 135i or new Z4. But for now I will be ordering GLK next week unless my saleman can find exact combo I'm looking for.

And btw deals are awesome, got a price quote on 46.8k car for 42.5 plus 1.9% for 66 months. Gotta love recessions.
Go for it, NYC. And I have to chime in that MB has done a great job with both GL and GLK driving like cars in a SUV body. It is very impressive, if you have driven any other SUV before.

I saw the 1.9% for 66 months special last night on TV and I was so tempted to order one. Damn Keyless Go......