MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/)
-   -   Rear Entertainment (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166/620816-rear-entertainment.html)

amulsp 04-03-2016 10:08 AM

Rear Entertainment

I am ordering an 2017 GLS450 and would like any thoughts on ordering the rear entertainment package. We have (2 kids 3 and 1 y/o). We wanted it but the dealer said it wasn't worth it b/c of iPads. I do not own and DVD's, is there an input for digital videos? I will post in the GLE forum as well. I would like to finalize our order ASAP and any input is much appreciated!

jerome8283 04-03-2016 10:30 AM

I have a similar question that I will tack on here Amulsp. The answer to this may benefit you as well. I already ordered my GLS and noticed they added;

866 Pre-Wiring for Rear Seat Entertainment $170 (I did not request this)

I know this is not the entire entertainment package with screens but just the wiring.

Was this added because it's part of a package I ordered?
What options does the Pre-Wiring give me?

Andrew Cho 04-03-2016 02:35 PM

Your dealer is indeed right about ipads or Tabs. They are conveniently replacing most RES units available through manufacturers. I personally ordered the RES for a few reasons. I have to say that the biggest reason that contributed was the fact that the factory RES functions and looks better than aftermarket units or ipad or tab brackets.

fabbrisd1 04-03-2016 04:02 PM

The LEAST expensive way to have Rear Seat Entertainment is to order it on the build - the MOST expensive way to have RSE is dealer install - it's the way the system is connected - and the price of the post-factory components - even with pre-wiring.

amulsp 04-03-2016 06:33 PM

thank you, any insight on if you can play digital content via usb/sd card ect. or dvd only. I understand bluray is not supported.

silvertige 04-03-2016 07:21 PM

Well, I ordered it as we have an 8, 5 and 2 year old. Old school dvds are nice just to simply throw in there on long trips. Would highly recommend the RES.

wally AMG 04-04-2016 06:15 AM

I always order a rear entertainment

yk0786 04-04-2016 09:12 AM

I have a RES system in a 2014 model. It keeps my kids occupied on the long drives as well as any time they start getting whiny. You can play a different source in each screen. There are non-digital inputs to hook up external sources like a playstation, ipad, etc on there.

I am more than satisfied with them. Unless they have changed it in the GLS, I would highly recommend.

vkk0210 04-04-2016 11:17 AM

2 head-rest mounted iPads and my kids love it. I got a Seagate wireless plus hard drive, a wireless media streaming device with built-in wireless router and battery for 10 hours HD streaming simultaneously to 3 iOS devices. I can add content to the Hard drive in the last minute without the hassle of sync.
My kids can either watch videos or play games. Worked out pretty well for me. Its all individual preference.

Tomshop 04-04-2016 11:51 AM

I have always ordered it with screens and just ordered my new one without it. Kids use iPads. My experience is no one uses the screens anymore. No reason to mount iPads as that just takes away functionality (games, etc). My dealer wanted to add the pre-wiring so I agreed to do that.

vkk0210 04-04-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tomshop (Post 6759885)
No reason to mount iPads as that just takes away functionality (games, etc). My dealer wanted to add the pre-wiring so I agreed to do that.

I've Ricketfish iPad mounts, iPads are enclosed in protective case that snap out/in with a easy click. Very convenient when watching movies and snap out when playing games!

jerome8283 04-05-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 6758959)
The LEAST expensive way to have Rear Seat Entertainment is to order it on the build - the MOST expensive way to have RSE is dealer install - it's the way the system is connected - and the price of the post-factory components - even with pre-wiring.

So pre-wiring gives me nothing but provides the dealers an easier installation for the RSE?

Tomshop 04-07-2016 09:41 AM

It would be very hard to add the RSE without pre wiring. Surprised that they didn't upgrade the system from GL. Just not worth the money.

skw 04-08-2016 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 6760981)
So pre-wiring gives me nothing but provides the dealers an easier installation for the RSE?

Not sure about the GLS, but on the GLE, the pre-wiring is actually a bundled pkg that gives you memory presets and power headrest on the front passenger seat. W/o the pre-wiring option selected, on the GLE anyway, the passenger headrest is manually controlled w/ a dummy button on the door.

silvertige 04-13-2016 12:36 PM

Heard this system was rather difficult to use. Anyone have first hand experience? Thanks.

sri_gondi 04-13-2016 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by silvertige (Post 6770451)
Heard this system was rather difficult to use. Anyone have first hand experience? Thanks.

I have had this system from the past 6 yrs in my R350 and do not have any issues with it nor it is difficult to use.

Axxlrod 04-15-2016 02:17 PM

IMO, if you're not a techie, all the german RSE systems are difficult to use, at least for young kids. We just use iPads on headrest mounts.

Although it could be worse. The RSE system in the new Q7 is a disaster. It can't even play dvd's!

1st amg 04-17-2016 11:56 PM

We have had our 2011 and 2014 GL with the rear seat entertainment installed from the factory. We have learned how to use it and it is pretty impressive. We order our 2017 again with this, no hesitation or scratching my head for this either.

43221B 04-18-2016 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tomshop (Post 6763724)
It would be very hard to add the RSE without pre wiring. Surprised that they didn't upgrade the system from GL. Just not worth the money.

Without pre-wire, you can only install the accessory rse system. It looks aftermarket and it vibrates. It's a no go....

If you have small kids, the rse is great. You can play three sources at once. Adults can listen to radio, sat, or in my case internet radio via Bluetooth, one monitor in back can play a disc in the dash, the other can play a disc in the rear DVD player.

If you have older kids that you trust to manage their own IPads, then the iPad route is the way to go. Rse is great for my elementary school age kids that watch different age content. I've tried ipads for my young kids. The last thing I want to do is deal with loading content on an iPad before a long trip. I have a big binder of DVDs, my kids lov it, my 10 yo works the remote.

Douglas Hilton 06-20-2016 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 43221B (Post 6776083)
Without pre-wire, you can only install the accessory rse system. It looks aftermarket and it vibrates. It's a no go....

If you have small kids, the rse is great. You can play three sources at once. Adults can listen to radio, sat, or in my case internet radio via Bluetooth, one monitor in back can play a disc in the dash, the other can play a disc in the rear DVD player.

If you have older kids that you trust to manage their own IPads, then the iPad route is the way to go. Rse is great for my elementary school age kids that watch different age content. I've tried ipads for my young kids. The last thing I want to do is deal with loading content on an iPad before a long trip. I have a big binder of DVDs, my kids lov it, my 10 yo works the remote.

Help! When you rotate the selector on the remote to CONTROL what does it do? For me.. nothing. Same with the split screen option

First One 06-20-2016 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by skw (Post 6764891)
Not sure about the GLS, but on the GLE, the pre-wiring is actually a bundled pkg that gives you memory presets and power headrest on the front passenger seat. W/o the pre-wiring option selected, on the GLE anyway, the passenger headrest is manually controlled w/ a dummy button on the door.

Does anyone know if the passenger head rest is the same as this on the GLS without RSE or prewiring? If so, I'm going to be very disappointed! I didn't order either because there will rarely be anyone in the rear seats.

terrain 07-17-2016 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tomshop (Post 6763724)

It's a PITA that the rear screens look like CRT's double stick taped to the back of the seats .. circa 1990. Amazed Merc did not at least use the screens in the 4 year old W222.

tate16t 07-17-2016 08:30 AM

Rear screens are a thing of the past anyway.