MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/)
-   -   ECO Mode default off anyone?? (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166/626001-eco-mode-default-off-anyone.html)

STG 05-18-2016 02:22 PM

ECO Mode default off anyone??

Anyone have had a mod or programmed the ECO Mode to be default OFF rather than pressing the button every time?

What an irritating option. Experiencing it on a GL450 loaner while another car is in for service.

Thanks

jerome8283 05-18-2016 04:18 PM

I turn it off each time I drive. The GLS is my wife's and she likes the gas savings she gets to and from work having it on so it's good for her.

bonboon 05-18-2016 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 6806497)
I turn it off each time I drive. The GLS is my wife's and she likes the gas savings she gets to and from work having it on so it's good for her.

Its an extremely smooth on/off transition in my 550. Its the first time in any vehicle I've left it on

JoeMa 05-18-2016 06:54 PM

Maybe I missed it but the manual does not mention a way to turn Eco Start Stop off by default. It does make reference to the Eco setting when setting up your Individual Mode (DYNAMIC option) but I checked and could not find it. Even though the start and stop is smooth, MB really should have provided a way to disable it by default.

ZeroMB 05-18-2016 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 6806647)
Maybe I missed it but the manual does not mention a way to turn Eco Start Stop off by default. It does make reference to the Eco setting when setting up your Individual Mode (DYNAMIC option) but I checked and could not find it. Even though the start and stop is smooth, MB really should have provided a way to disable it by default.

No way to turn it off on my 2014 E550. I expect the same on my GLS 550. But FWIW it is MUCH smoother on the GLS than my E class.

STG 05-18-2016 09:32 PM

I agree, very smooth compared to other brands. Still..... Too much of a nanny device. $100K SUV, not worried about saving $5.00 in gas a month. I know, more of a emissions target number to hit.

But still .... A $100K SUV ... Give us easy ways to drive it. Don't want to have to press buttons over and over.

fabbrisd1 05-18-2016 10:38 PM

3rd party solution available from MidCity Engineering

bonboon 05-19-2016 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 6806787)
I agree, very smooth compared to other brands. Still..... Too much of a nanny device. $100K SUV, not worried about saving $5.00 in gas a month. I know, more of a emissions target number to hit.

But still .... A $100K SUV ... Give us easy ways to drive it. Don't want to have to press buttons over and over.

If you don't want to go the 3rd party route Fab reco'd just try turning it off every time you get in. Getting used to pushing two buttons (ignition and Eco) isn't that bad

STG 05-19-2016 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by eliontakis

Fab reco'd just try turning it off every time you get in. Getting used to pushing two buttons (ignition and Eco) isn't that bad

Maybe I missed this recommendation from him?? Can you quote it?

Don't you think pushing the two button option is OBVIOUS?? I've been doing it for 3 days on my loaner!! Can you now tell me how to open the doors too? :shakehead

STG 05-19-2016 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
3rd party solution available from MidCity Engineering

Interesting products. Thanks

http://www.midcityengineering.com

bonboon 05-19-2016 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 6807051)
Maybe I missed this recommendation from him?? Can you quote it?

Don't you think pushing the two button option is OBVIOUS?? I've been doing it for 3 days on my loaner!! Can you now tell me how to open the doors too? :shakehead

I'm sorry you're having a rough morning.

What's obvious to me is that you'll prob be less impatient about the arduous task of pressing a button after more than three days. Say over the span of something unthinkable like a week you might actually get used to it.

Comprende , meat head?

FYI, this is what I wrote: "If you don't want to go the 3rd party route Fab reco'd just try turning it off every time you get in. Getting used to pushing two buttons (ignition and Eco) isn't that bad". If your'e too lazy to read an entire sentence I see why pressing a button is such a daunting task.

STG 05-19-2016 08:09 AM

I'm sorry you're having a rough morning.

What's obvious to me is that if you'll prob be less impatient about the arduous task of pressing a button after more than three days. Say over the span of something unthinkable like a week you might actually get used to it.

Comprende , meat head?

When you have some productive advice let me know. Maybe I can incorporate a keyhole to unlock the doors too while I'm at it too?

Thanks for wasting my time.

bonboon 05-19-2016 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 6807073)
When you have some productive advice let me know. Maybe I can incorporate a keyhole to unlock the doors too while I'm at it too?

Thanks for wasting my time.

ME STG. ME CAN'T READ. ME LIKE CAFFEINE

STG 05-19-2016 08:15 AM

ME STG. ME CAN'T READ. ME LIKE CAFFEINE

I'm glad this board actually has a pulse. I've been worried that a new model like the GLS is only getting 2 posts a day on the board.

I guess the "housewives of you favorite city" don't participate here. I know at least one does. Good to know.

bonboon 05-19-2016 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 6807081)
I'm glad this board actually has a pulse. I've been worried that a new model like the GLS is only getting 2 posts a day on the board.

I guess the "housewives of you favorite" city don't participate here. I know at least one does. Good to know.

guy that drives a Macan calling anyone a housewife is cute.

keep posting i'll keep coming with the ether, STG

STG 05-19-2016 08:19 AM

guy that drives a Macan calling anyone a housewife is cute.

keep posting i'll coming with the ether, STG

You must be one of the Rennlist hecklers I see. They seem to love infecting all the boards. Actually have a 991 C2S as well buddy.

Have a miserable day while your wife is at work.

Later.

bonboon 05-19-2016 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 6807086)
You must be one of the Rennlist hecklers I see. They seem to love infecting all the boards. Actually have a 991 C2S as well buddy.

Later.

both retired, chump. just drove a kid to school. gonna pick him up later too.

don't get me wrong about the macan. i'm sure there's a subset of males that drive macans. i'm just saying it's gotta be very small given i heard some male Cirque Du Soleil performers saying it was too effeminate for them.

bonboon 05-19-2016 10:08 AM

Later.

STG where you at? After swimming a few laps I popped open the lap top hoping to find a classless retort but instead found nothing at all from you. Please, don't tell me this has already run its course.

So, I went from mbworld to amazon.com and ordered my second born some Thomas underwear so we can start potty training him. I had no idea there were so many characters in that cartoon from which to choose. I knew about Emily, Gordon, James, and Percy, but where have they been hiding Emily, Toby, Henry, Edward, Sam, Skiff, Rex, Ryan, Bash, Arthur, Belle, Bert, Ben, Butch, Bertie...the list goes on and on. It took quite a bit longer than I expected. Now I'm just twiddling my thumbs.

Fischer and Dudley both talking today so at some point I'll be reading their prepared comments. I wonder if they will continue with the hawkish rhetoric others have been dialing up of late?

Then what, though? I guess I can watch last week's episode of Silicon Valley. Maybe I'll save a few on DVR instead and do some binge watching in a couple weeks. I definitely prefer that to keeping up on a weekly basis. Much like you with your nemesis the ECO button, I can be impatient. I just hate waiting an entire week for that next episode.

Hmmmmm... Sun's peeking through. Maybe I'll get a few more laps in. On second thought, our nanny is car shopping so I could take her to look at some Macans. She's a woman, yes, but she has some masculine traits, if that's any consolation. She'd be happy going second hand if you want to PM me your ask since you prob want to sell yours now. Holler if interested. Cash buyer. Nice and easy close.

Anyhow, thank you for your time this morning. Our exchange was short lived but you know what they say. Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

bonboon 05-19-2016 01:57 PM

Later.

Yoo hoo. Stg, where are you?

I would expect you to maintain your 13 post a day clip from the Porshe board in these parts too. You're underperforming, like you do in most respects, I've heard.

Meanwhile I'm well above my 0.08/post a day clip today trolling you. Got cloudy, kids all napping, just kinda bored.

Nanny going with something with more balls than the Macan, by the way. An iddy biddy Fiat.

fabbrisd1 05-19-2016 08:00 PM

Let me clear - ET GO HOME - and take your personal barbs to another forum - duke it out elsewhere...

hyperion667 05-20-2016 07:34 AM

goodness, another ECO thread, lovely.................

bonboon 05-23-2016 07:28 AM

i drove my grandfather and some life-long buddies of his from ww2 (each 100+ years of age) to a bbq in the GLS this weekend (which really speaks to how awesome the ingress/egress is for this vehicle; getting in/out no problem for them). anyhow, we were talking about their experiences as soldiers in the war, the devastating toll axis occupation had taken on their homeland, growing up during the great depression, etc. mind boggling stuff.

then i told them about the eco mode in our new GLS. I told them I press a button each and every time I want to disengage eco mode. to a man they lauded my courage.

skelzer 05-23-2016 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by eliontakis (Post 6810501)
i drove my grandfather and some life-long buddies of his from ww2 (each 100+ years of age) to a bbq in the GLS this weekend (which really speaks to how awesome the ingress/egress is for this vehicle; getting in/out no problem for them). anyhow, we were talking about their experiences as soldiers in the war, the devastating toll axis occupation had taken on their homeland, growing up during the great depression, etc. mind boggling stuff.

then i told them about the eco mode in our new GLS. I told them I press a button each and every time I want to disengage eco mode. to a man they lauded my courage.

Hah... nicely framed. If only someone in MB corporate (that mattered) would read your post...

Axxlrod 05-23-2016 01:43 PM

It is annoying that it can't be programmed to stay off.

My BMW remembers if I default the system ECO mode to stay off, so why can't MB?

STG 05-23-2016 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
It is annoying that it can't be programmed to stay off.

My BMW remembers if I default the system ECO mode to stay off, so why can't MB?

That's how these car manufacturers start out the nanny devices.

First phase: Default off

Second phase: Default on

Next phase: Always ON with NO choice.

Who knew the ECO mode would be such a hot topic?? Looks like the commie nanny state ECO lobby and its fans are forum board trolls.