MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/)
-   -   GLS Suspension issue? (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166/635814-gls-suspension-issue.html)

Christian K 08-23-2016 03:54 PM

GLS Suspension issue?

I have a "problem" with my brand new GLS 500. It came with the off-road package and the ADS/Airmatic. When driving in comfort, i think the car is way to soft and it tends to wave from side to side after hitting some unevenness on the road. Switching to sport is a huge difference and the suspension is really stiff - not really what I want - I would like to have something in between...:)

Comparing with my old R-class with Airmatic and my S-class, the difference between Comfort and Sport is much more subtle and I can really enjoy both depending on mood, while with the GLS - I think both are too extreme :confused:

Thoughts?

jbak31 08-23-2016 03:58 PM

Just curious, how would you compare comfort mode in GLS to comfort mode in S?

Christian K 08-23-2016 04:25 PM

Of course they are two totally different cars and behave different, but I find it interesting that the difference between comfort and sport is so big in the GLS while so small in R or S. Maybe I should get an electronic lowering solution and see if lowering it slightly will make it less "wobbly" in comfort, but still not as stiff as in sport?!

bonboon 08-23-2016 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Christian K (Post 6896387)
Of course they are two totally different cars and behave different, but I find it interesting that the difference between comfort and sport is so big in the GLS while so small in R or S. Maybe I should get an electronic lowering solution and see if lowering it slightly will make it less "wobbly" in comfort, but still not as stiff as in sport?!

Caveat: I've got active curve in mine... and I find body roll to be nominal in comfort. For reference, I find it very comparable to my E63 in sport setting.

GLS Sport is a bit firm for my tastes, too, though. I've set up an individual setting with steering and gearbox in sport and suspension in comfort for when I'm on the highway and want to press a little but not at the expense of ride comfort. I've found that to be a decent compromise

jbak31 08-23-2016 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by EL3470 (Post 6896587)
Caveat: I've got active curve in mine... and I find body roll to be nominal in comfort. For reference, I find it very comparable to my E63 in sport setting.

Should I take this to mean that active curve on GLS makes the ride a bit firmer than the regular comfort mode?

bonboon 08-24-2016 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by jbak31 (Post 6896588)
Should I take this to mean that active curve on GLS makes the ride a bit firmer than the regular comfort mode?

No, I don't think Active Curve impacts ride quality in any way. But in terms of body roll/wallowing into/out of corners, i find my vehicle to be remarkably controlled in its comfort setting given the size of the vehicle.

bonboon 08-24-2016 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Christian K (Post 6896348)
I have a "problem" with my brand new GLS 500. It came with the off-road package and the ADS/Airmatic. When driving in comfort, i think the car is way to soft and it tends to wave from side to side after hitting some unevenness on the road. Switching to sport is a huge difference and the suspension is really stiff - not really what I want - I would like to have something in between...:)

Comparing with my old R-class with Airmatic and my S-class, the difference between Comfort and Sport is much more subtle and I can really enjoy both depending on mood, while with the GLS - I think both are too extreme :confused:

Thoughts?

Maybe comfort settings in the R and S that you have driven impact only shift patterns? I don't know definitively but just hypothesizing that might be the case given some C class and E class vehicles I've driven over the years. Felt like Sport in those vehicles didn't impact suspension settings in any way.