Contour Seats info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W126-500SEC
Contour Seats info

Hi everyone,

Information on the 'contour seats' for the GLS is really sparse. I know about the massage function, but there also seems to be a 'laterally adjustable seat area' or something to that effect.

I'm struggling to find out what that is. Is it an extendible 'knee cushion' that effectively lengthens the seat, or is the seat area moved backwards or forwards relative to the backrest ?

I'm still trying to find out because I'm somewhat taller than the average and it might really be good for me.

So if anyone has info and perhaps an actual picture from their car with the option I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Pete
Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Why waste more time------visit any dealer for a demo!!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:00 PM

W126-500SEC
I wouldn't have asked if it were that simple.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I have the multicontour seats on my GLE, I suppose they are very similar if not the same on GLS. You can adjust the tightness of the side bolsters supporting your body, the side bolesters of the seat to some extent. The seat cannot be adjusted in depth, although in the description of the option is stated that it can. You can raise or lower the thigh support , only under the frontal part of the seat, without actually making it deeper or not/like in the bmw sport seats for instance/, which has more or less the same effect increasing the thigh support. The difference between min and max in this adjustment particularly is not so big though. About the massage function, its nice, no must have for sure. With the multicontour seats you have the lumbar adjustments in the navi menus, there is no button on the left side. Overall impression for me was I like the option, I'm not sure if it desrves the 1200 Eur that I paid, but is one of the little things making the vehicle nicer that others. If somebody tells you you should not pay for this, do you think the different steering wheel and alu pedals that you can buy from ebay cost the same money with the amg interior pack? And sport seats, that cannot be ventilated.
The following users liked this post:
Peter R. (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 PM

W126-500SEC
Thank you very much, Yavor. Since I already have the 'comfort seat option' it sounds like the difference is the adjustment of the 'wings' and the massage function. And I don't want those.

So the only thing I have to decide on now is the ILS.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:06 PM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
What is "comfort seat option"? There is no such option for the GLE at least for the eu spec.
ILS is the only option you must check on this car, all others may be skipped. Amazing illumination of the road.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:21 AM

W126-500SEC
Honestly ? I do't really know.

It's part of the 'exclusive interior package'. According to MB info, the stitching is supposed to be different, and I know the passenger now gets the 4 way lumbar support as well.

It's also different for different types. I have read that in the E series it is supposed to get you heated/ventilated seats, which I had to order separately.

The reason I'm stil procrastrinating on the ILS is that I'm afraid it might be somewhat fragile and very expensive to fix.
A headlight for my Toyota is 1200$, and I don't imagine an ILS headligh will be much cheaper. And the electronics that control it al ? Who knows.

But the car will be made in July or August, so there's time.

Last edited by Peter R.; 03-10-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:51 AM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
ILS are great, get them for sure in my opinion. Thinking what can be fragile and expensive to fix, this is valid for absolutely everything in this car
Concerning options, I think they are differently grouped in every country. Here you can order almost everything separately, unfortunately the heated steering wheel was in option package with the memory seats that I don't need because I'm the only one driving the car and that was really expensive option here.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 AM

W126-500SEC
I went for the auxiliary heater. It has the added benefit that you won't have to scrape your windows on cold winter mornings, the door rubbers don't stick and the windshield wipers won't be glued to the windshield.

I had this in the Viano I had until a few years back and it was very practical. AND your car is preheated when you get in.

Pete
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
Not getting the ILS would be the biggest single mistake IMO. So many people are extremely disappointed with the standard headlights, and are ready to spend several times the cost of the option to get the headlights upgraded... + it looks great and is a massive added value in terms of safety. Best headlights I have had the opportunity to use.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS450, RX400h
Finally tried all the options in the countour/massage seats in our gls450 (a couple weeks since we got it).
Compared to our other/past cars, I feel its definitely worth it, for both long/short drives.
I increased the "countourness" on the seat sides and will leave it like that. You can also move the lumbar support up and down. Lastly you move up/down the front part of the seat. Now you get to an "ahhh spot" and leave it there
The massages are great too
Would definitely get countour/massage seats if it can fit the budget.

Last edited by knpnj; 03-13-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 AM

W126-500SEC
It turns out the 'comfort Seats' are in essence the contopur seats sans the massage function. So I'll stick with those.

On the ILS, I like the idea, but it's another 2000 Euros, and I just can't bring myself to adding those.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 AM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
You will, but after driving with the standart halogens 1 month, believe me
Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 AM

W126-500SEC
Well, I heeded your advice, and after some careful fiddling with packages I've found away to get the ILS Leds for about half list. So I've added them to the order.

Now the wait truly starts.

Pete
Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Haflinger
ILS is standard on Australian cars, they are often more highly specked here..
Excellent lights and a great party at night, keeps you interested in long drives.
Don't like that they go back to dipped beam when stopping & take too long to come back.
Creepy that they search along the side of the road and then light up the edges but have a blacked out spot for the car in front.
Some trucks don't like them as on a long straight road they don't quite dip early enough.
Definite tick option.

Contour seats are ok, but sport are more comfy. But really hard to get your bum over the squab. The description is a lie in that the don't extend out like X5 & Cayenne but up, so I find it digs in under the thigh. I have spent 13 hours driving a couple of times, more comfy on a folded towel! Massage is great on long trips & seat ventilation too.