GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Thinkware F770 Dashcam Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLS 550 & 2016 SLK300
Thinkware F770 Dashcam Install

Living near West Chester, PA and need to get a Thinkware F770 (front/Back) dashcam installed in my new GLS550. I ordered and planned to install myself, however after seeing the alcantara and tighness of the seams in the ceiling of the GLS I don't feel comfortable installing myself.

The dealership I purchased through contacted the installer that he has used in the past for these sorts of things. The install shop is a higher-end shop in NJ that does much more expensive vehicles. When requested to install this dash cam in my GLS, the installer said while they do install dashcams, they would not be able to assist me due to concerns of interaction between camera and all the safety tech in the GLS.

Two questions. Has anyone had a similar dash cam hardwire installed in their GLS without issue. Second, any recommendations on a local install shop that isn't going to destroy the interior or electrical system of my car?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
I have a Blackvue 650GW 2CH (back and front). I did the install myself. I am not sure what they are talking about when they say "safety tech". The camera is only plugged to power source, and stuck on the windshield... The only way I could see it "interfere" with the safety equipment, is for the rear camera cable running on the ceiling seams to interfere with the curtain airbags. And very honestly, I dont think it matters at all. I totaled my ML350 BT 1 year ago and had the front and rear cameras installed. The curtain airbags deployed and it just snapped the cable without any issue. No interference whatsoever on the safety tech. It's rather the safety tech that interfered with the camera...