MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/)
-   -   Ordering new 2018 GLS 450 (discount?) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166/663651-ordering-new-2018-gls-450-discount.html)

Kolast 04-21-2017 01:36 PM

Ordering new 2018 GLS 450 (discount?)

I am looking to order a new GLS 450. The dealer told me that I cannot get 2017 any more and that I have to wait for the 2018 model. The question is what pricing can I expect to get. The 2017 model I have priced out is pretty loaded and will go for $95K MSRP. Another dealer that I reached out to through Costco told me that I can get a 7% discount off of MSRP. Is that a good amount or is more of a discount available (based on some of the other posts)?

I would rather buy from a local dealer (Orlando) but they are not part of the Costco program.

Any insight would be appreciated.

tate16t 04-21-2017 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kolast (Post 7123327)
I am looking to order a new GLS 450. The dealer told me that I cannot get 2017 any more and that I have to wait for the 2018 model. The question is what pricing can I expect to get. The 2017 model I have priced out is pretty loaded and will go for $95K MSRP. Another dealer that I reached out to through Costco told me that I can get a 7% discount off of MSRP. Is that a good amount or is more of a discount available (based on some of the other posts)?

I would rather buy from a local dealer (Orlando) but they are not part of the Costco program.

For that cost you should look at a 550.

Kolast 04-21-2017 02:18 PM

550 with the same options seems to come out at $106K. My dealer doesn't have 550 available to test drive. This is really for my wife and she is not into power cars. Is extra $11K worth it for V8 if she doesn't really need it? Also seems like gas mileage is lower for 550. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

fabbrisd1 04-22-2017 05:51 PM

Frankly - for "women" - not being sexist - the GLS450 gives them the smooth/magic-carpet-ride they prefer - whereas the GLS550 with wider/lower-profile shoes is not something "most" women crave - "most" women crave magic-carpet.

That said - in any market - even competitive FL - if a dealer is willing to take a 2018 GLS450 pre-order for 1st release delivery at 7% discount - frankly that's a respectable deal.

If there was a GLS450 on the ground in your market that was "close" to what you want - or a 2017 in the pipeline being built that is scheduled to come in - that 7% off a 2018 gives you a respectable "hammer" for a bit more if a 2017 will fit.

Your ownership plan - how long you plan to hold - and the specific features that will make your wife happy - are factors you need to assess from your side.

Personally - if the deal is right - having a 1st delivery new model year has always served me well - but that's me on purchase.

Keep the beat !

Kolast 04-23-2017 10:51 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Will see if I can get the discount. Any feedback on designo leather vs regular leather?

Peter R. 04-24-2017 03:12 AM

There's no 'regular' leather.

There's the standard stuff which is a vinyl finish on a textile backing. The US calls it MBTex, the Euro's Artico. It has it's problems with stretching, heat and big bums.

Then there's the 'Exclusive' inetrior and the 'Designo' interiors. From what I've seen on actual cars the leather is the same, but stitching is different. I don' like the 'Designo' design myself.

There's 'Nappa' but you'll need to go for the AMG interior package, which isn't available in the 'lower' segment worldwide.

Remember although MB is marketing this as the S class of SUV's, it really isn't, and if you want to go for the ultimate in interior schtyle you'll need to shop Range Rover or Bentayga.

Peter R. 04-26-2017 05:35 AM

Correction :

The 'designo' mentioned in our (Euro) catalogue is indeed claimed to be 'nappa'.

I personally don't like it, and from the car I saw with this option I can't remember seeing nappa, so maybe it's partial.

Apologies for talking out of my ....

cincy8 04-27-2017 08:19 PM

This woman likes the power and the distinct look of the 550. Plus my husband doesn't seem to mind taking my car vs. his beloved BMWs when we go out together.

Boraxo 05-29-2017 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kolast (Post 7123327)

Costco will not give you the best deal, I think they subcontract to TrueCar or a similar service.

In October 2016 I got $7k off MSRP (roughly 10% discount). It was newer and in short supply, now they are sitting on lots.

I would shoot for at least least 15% off MSRP. But you will have to shop around as some dealer just expect MBZ buyers to walk off the street and pay list.

thenew3 05-30-2017 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 7163948)
Costco will not give you the best deal, I think they subcontract to TrueCar or a similar service.

In October 2016 I got $7k off MSRP (roughly 10% discount). It was newer and in short supply, now they are sitting on lots.

I would shoot for at least least 15% off MSRP. But you will have to shop around as some dealer just expect MBZ buyers to walk off the street and pay list.

Which dealer is willing to give 15% off MSRP on a GLS? I've checked with multiple dealers around the SF/SJ area and even with all the competition, none are willing to give much discount on any SUV other than GLA. Even 5% discount is hard to come by on the GLS in the bay area and that's including using MB fleet discount (currently at $1k on GLS).

I would order a GLS450 or GLS550 today if I can get 15% off MSRP.

Family is out growing the E wagon, so we're looking to upsize. Been keeping an eye on the CPO GL/GLS because we can't get any significant discount on new from local dealers. I was even willing to drive 6 to 7 hours to Southern CA if the dealers there would give decent discount, but so far none of those are discounting much beyond 5%.

Boraxo 05-30-2017 04:35 PM

Try Stockton or perhaps Pleasanton. Unfortunately the SoCal dealers are not competitive, they are used to clowns walking in the door and driving out with $1k off MSRP.

thenew3 05-30-2017 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 7164774)
Try Stockton or perhaps Pleasanton. Unfortunately the SoCal dealers are not competitive, they are used to clowns walking in the door and driving out with $1k off MSRP.

Pleasanton laughed when we asked for a discount. They would not budge from MSRP even though my parents have purchased multiple new cars from them. they said they can't get enough of the GLS for sale at MSRP why would they discount it.

knpnj 05-30-2017 05:25 PM

Alternates to local dealers who laugh at you - drive across state lines if feasible.

Or think about this other approach - There are ~350 MB dealers in the country and not all of them have "enough sales that they don't care about discounts".
If you research and hire a reputable auto-broker with a good track record, you'll easily get at least 10% off a custom order (spec sheets are available in the the threads here), and maybe more if it's a car with a VIN sitting on a lot somewhere.
The car will be delivered to your doorstep by the broker (they typically charge $400-500 for their services).

Next visit the threads here https://mbworld.org/forums/extended-...scussions-191/ and find the best/cheapest deals on a service/maintenance package and extended warranty (optional) from MB.

The service department at your local dealer will be servicing the car just the same - they don't care which dealer the car originated, nor where you purchased the maintenance package. It's applicable at any MB dealer in the country.

thenew3 05-30-2017 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by knpnj (Post 7164833)
Alternates to local dealers who laugh at you - drive across state lines if feasible.

Or think about this other approach - There are ~350 MB dealers in the country and not all of them have "enough sales that they don't care about discounts".
If you research and hire a reputable auto-broker with a good track record, you'll easily get at least 10% off a custom order (spec sheets are available in the the threads here), and maybe more if it's a car with a VIN sitting on a lot somewhere.
The car will be delivered to your doorstep by the broker (they typically charge $400-500 for their services).

Next visit the threads here https://mbworld.org/forums/extended-...scussions-191/ and find the best/cheapest deals on a service/maintenance package and extended warranty (optional) from MB.

The service department at your local dealer will be servicing the car just the same - they don't care which dealer the car originated, nor where you purchased the maintenance package. It's applicable at any MB dealer in the country.

First thank you. Second I am well aware of ELW and PPM as I have purchased them on all of my current and previous MB vehicles from dealers on this forum.

I'm just curious where Boraxo was able to find 15% off a GLS as I am highly motivated to purchase one if I can get one at that price. Wife doesn't want to deal with the hassle of going cross state lines and she's only willing to entertain driving 6 hours south to the LA area because then we could take the kids to Disney for a road trip. Otherwise she says look local and once we find a dealer that will negotiate to our price range then we'll make the purchase.

fabbrisd1 05-30-2017 08:08 PM

Just from my side...

1. I understand the OP has gone thru and based on color/feature/option selection is thinking about a very/very well equipped GLS450 - I have had several customers go this same route - especially for spouses the GLS450 gives those driver's a "smoother" drive/ride since the GLS550 goes up in wheel size - tire width - lower profile tires - and for some the GLS550 does not give them the "feel" they are looking for.
First thing - decide which of your choices are the Most important for you - or if all your choices are Equally important.
If you are in the Most group - then you can search for a rig in inventory or in pipe-line that has Most
If you are in the Equally Important - then you know you are committed to order/build - which is 100% OK.

2. Dealer GLS margin is about 7% + holdback/bonus + any specific GLS additional funds avail from Mercedes

3. By-and-large GLS production #'s "match's" demand - meaning for most dealers - inventory-on-hand/plus-production-pipe-line pretty well matches what they expect to sell in a reasonable 60 day period - and not excessive inventory

4. "Fleet Discounts" can be a good way to measure market-demand vrs inventory - with strong programs like USAA, PenFed (more on Penfed later) or even the United program - the amount of Fleet Discount goes up when there are a "lot" - and Fleet Discounts are "smaller" where there are about the right#/or less when demand exceeds supply.

5. For 2017's - which are finishing up production now - there will be a reasonable "bump up" where most dealers will get a bit more than they ordered over the next 45 days - called "market adjustment".

6. Like Fleet Discounts for GLS - thehere really isn't any special added dealer money coming from MB at this point on GLS's - "could" there be a bit "extra" coming on 2017's for June - July - or August - "maybe" - for new/new 2018's when released late-July/early-August - "I don't think so".

If you focus 1st on what will make you happy on a GLS - and stay focused on that - then you will be happy with the result.

If you focus on One-Guy who says 15% off - which is crack smoking for a either a new 2017 or new 2018 - possible "maybe" on a retired loaner - if you are in the Most group - you might find 7%+ available in inventory/pipeline - if you are in the Equally/build category then frankly some bullsh*t about 15% will really/really throw you off base.

Get the right GLS for you - then you have happiness - search for the mysterious extra $5K-$6500 off that doesn't exist - you won't be happy.

fabbrisd1 05-30-2017 10:21 PM

Buying a new Mercedes for under $100K - joining PenFed could make sense for you...

1. If you don't qualify for USAA - the PenFed program is at "same" Fleet Discount by and large - and PenFed also has benchmark finance rates that are frankly a bit more straightforward than USAA - and always good to have a pre-approved program/rate in hand. PenFed even has a "balloon-type" program for new cars if you're into that type of thing.

2. For $17 annual fee - you can join Voices For America's Troops - and that membership qualifies you for PenFed:

http://www.voicesfortroops.org/friends/

3. Then with that Voices membership # - slide over and join PenFed

https://www.penfed.org/New-Auto-Loan/

Fleet discount - benchmark financing - for some a good thing to have in your pocket...

Boraxo 05-31-2017 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by thenew3 (Post 7164776)
Pleasanton laughed when we asked for a discount. They would not budge from MSRP even though my parents have purchased multiple new cars from them. they said they can't get enough of the GLS for sale at MSRP why would they discount it.

Funny because 6 months they offered me (first time customer) $1500 below invoice with no work at all. And they would have closed the deal at that price if the sales manager treated me with more respect and they hadn't wasted my time.

Obviously inventory and regional market conditions vary throughout the course of the year and discounts will go up and down. But if you are willing to wait a month (June 30 end of Q2) and not too particular about the configuration you should be able to use the FightingChance.com method to save serious $$$. I would shoot for 15% but you may not get it unless you put it out for bid. Or you could just listen to the dealer babble and overpay because you've found "the right GLS for you."

As my parents like to say, don't worry if you lose out on a house because there is always another house. And that goes 10x for new vehicles - there is always another one arriving as the factories keep churning them out.

BTW I really love my GLS - it's my first Mercedes and is the best car I've ever owned. But I would not be happy and my wife (who drives it) would not be happy if we had paid a few thousand more than we had to.

thenew3 05-31-2017 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7165134)
Buying a new Mercedes for under $100K - joining PenFed could make sense for you...

1. If you don't qualify for USAA - the PenFed program is at "same" Fleet Discount by and large - and PenFed also has benchmark finance rates that are frankly a bit more straightforward than USAA - and always good to have a pre-approved program/rate in hand. PenFed even has a "balloon-type" program for new cars if you're into that type of thing.

2. For $17 annual fee - you can join Voices For America's Troops - and that membership qualifies you for PenFed:

http://www.voicesfortroops.org/friends/

3. Then with that Voices membership # - slide over and join PenFed

https://www.penfed.org/New-Auto-Loan/

Fleet discount - benchmark financing - for some a good thing to have in your pocket...

I'm already member of PenFed. Wife is a DOD employee. So we get the PenFed MB Fleet certificates. However every dealer I've spoken to has said the fleet discount can't be combined with most other specials, and so far the other market specials tend to offer higher discounts than the penfed fleet (which is usually around $500 to $1000 for GLS).

thenew3 05-31-2017 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 7165209)
Funny because 6 months they offered me (first time customer) $1500 below invoice with no work at all. And they would have closed the deal at that price if the sales manager treated me with more respect and they hadn't wasted my time.

Obviously inventory and regional market conditions vary throughout the course of the year and discounts will go up and down. But if you are willing to wait a month (June 30 end of Q2) and not too particular about the configuration you should be able to use the FightingChance.com method to save serious $$$. I would shoot for 15% but you may not get it unless you put it out for bid. Or you could just listen to the dealer babble and overpay because you've found "the right GLS for you."

As my parents like to say, don't worry if you lose out on a house because there is always another house. And that goes 10x for new vehicles - there is always another one arriving as the factories keep churning them out.

BTW I really love my GLS - it's my first Mercedes and is the best car I've ever owned. But I would not be happy and my wife (who drives it) would not be happy if we had paid a few thousand more than we had to.

We're not in a rush so we'll buy when we can get the right price. Pleasanton MB likes to play tricks. I almost bought an R class from them 7 years ago, after agreeing to a price, when I went in to sign paper work, suddenly the price went up by $5k and the sales manager would no longer honor to the price we agreed to via phone/email.
They've done that to my parents a few times too.

15% off a $85k GLS is around $13k. If we can get close to $10k off then we'll make the move.

I usually order my cars equipped exactly the way I want it, so it would be a special order and not a car off the lot.

fabbrisd1 06-01-2017 03:10 PM

A dealer can choose to accept Fleet on top of negotiated price - so it can be additional savings. Frankly - Mercedes reimburses 50% of the Certificate Value back to the dealer - so for example a $1,000 PenFed Certificate discount for you - "costs" the dealer $500...

I will not comment on 15% off a "new" GLS - a retired Service Loaner - or Brass Hat MB corp GLS "maybe" - but new/new 2017 GLS with 15% off - time to change morning medication

ZeeGee 06-07-2017 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by thenew3 (Post 7166139)
If we can get close to $10k off then we'll make the move.

That's unlikely to happen in Bay Area: my "translation" of what I was told at a local MB dealer is basically that there are enough loaded people around looking for GLS that they don't bother offering deals better than only MSRP minus fleet discount ($1000) to make a sale.

Anotherone 06-29-2017 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 7164774)

House of Imports has given me and my family plenty of deals.

Ask for Anees and tell him you know me - TJ - he will give you deal.

dimapb 06-29-2017 10:04 PM

2017 GLS 450

i was just offered this on the 2017 gls 450:
msrp- 81340
sale price - 71340
residual - 56%
mf - 0.00061 with auto pay
9 msd's
no money down
payment - 842.00

what do you all think of this? Is this a good deal or should I try to squeeze a few more $$$ out of them?

thenew3 06-30-2017 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by dimapb (Post 7196341)
i was just offered this on the 2017 gls 450:
msrp- 81340
sale price - 71340
residual - 56%
mf - 0.00061 with auto pay
9 msd's
no money down
payment - 842.00

what do you all think of this? Is this a good deal or should I try to squeeze a few more $$$ out of them?

What area are you located in? $10k off is nice. Was it a vehicle on the lot or one you ordered?

dimapb 06-30-2017 03:12 PM

I'm in Maryland and the car is on the lot. It also worked out to my benefit that it's the end of the month and my sales rep badly needs numbers this month.

Originally Posted by thenew3 (Post 7196815)
What area are you located in? $10k off is nice. Was it a vehicle on the lot or one you ordered?