MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/)
-   -   2019 GLS details? (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166/678801-2019-gls-details.html)

Benzorbust 08-23-2017 03:17 PM

2019 GLS details?

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the 2019 GLS reconfigure. If there is already a thread on this, please point me in that direction.

Thanks

Benzorbust 08-23-2017 03:28 PM

Sorry, I think I got confused after a bad, bad trip to Sweden 🇸🇪! The GLE will be new in 2019 and GLS in 2020. I reversed the two.

How do i I delete this post?

Ah_gl450 09-05-2017 04:36 PM

New GLS Spy Photos out

Although it says 2019, I think it'll be 2020....

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/04/...three-row-suv/

JoeMa 09-11-2017 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ah_gl450 (Post 7257577)
Although it says 2019, I think it'll be 2020....

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/04/...three-row-suv/

I'm curious to see what MB has in mind for the next full-redesign. The overall body size looks longer and lower to the ground.

Thanks for the link. :)

skw 10-14-2017 09:12 AM

Hoping for 2nd row captain chairs and return of the diesel. I'll settle for a plug-in hybrid.

fabbrisd1 10-14-2017 07:13 PM

Mercedes will not be re-introducing diesel for passenger cars anytime soon - if ever - direction will be gasser-hybrid-full electric.

JoeMa 10-14-2017 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7286196)
Mercedes will not be re-introducing diesel for passenger cars anytime soon - if ever - direction will be gasser-hybrid-full electric.

One of my friends owns a Porsche Cayenne Diesel and said that even after a recent cash settlement (don't know the details) the dealer is now negotiating with him to buy it back. The diesel market appears to have collapsed in the US. Is this all because of VW getting caught cheating on their emissions testing? And why is MB backing away?

Strafzettel 10-15-2017 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7286245)
One of my friends owns a Porsche Cayenne Diesel and said that even after a recent cash settlement (don't know the details) the dealer is now negotiating with him to buy it back. The diesel market appears to have collapsed in the US. Is this all because of VW getting caught cheating on their emissions testing? And why is MB backing away?

One dealer I talked to said that Mercedes might have some "dreck am stecken"...which means that Mercedes might have cheated too. They stopped selling all diesel vehicles in the US including the Sprinter which was only available as diesel. Imagine how much of a loss that must be!

fabbrisd1 10-17-2017 12:31 AM

Diesel's are still standard in Sprinter - Mercedes diesel for passenger cars/SUV's is probably gone going forward - too much craziness with the Feds after the VW scandal - and frankly full speed ahead to more Hybrid and Ultimately Electric

Peter R. 10-17-2017 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7287837)
Diesel's are still standard in Sprinter - Mercedes diesel for passenger cars/SUV's is probably gone going forward - too much craziness with the Feds after the VW scandal - and frankly full speed ahead to more Hybrid and Ultimately Electric

Funny you should mention this.

My country has, for many years, been very big on diesel passenger cars : I think slightly over 50% of cars are diesels, some as small as 1200cc. Mainly because fuel has been over a buck a quart for a long long time (I think premium is currently hovering around a 1.80 a quart/liter) and diesel, not only being a lot more frugal, has also been traditionally cheaper.

The last two years, however, the 'green' lobby has started demonizing diesels, predominantly villifying very fine particles in diesel smoke as being responsible for everything from 'a large uptick in pulmonary afflictions with young children (works every time) to...well everything you can think of.
Politicians, of course eager to capitalize on this, are producing all manner of plans to reduce the use of diesel in favor of gas and hybrid cars, and it's been working : for the first time in decades diesel sales are in decline in favor of gas and hybrids. Hybrids, of course being supported by tax exemptions.

Only yesterday warnings started going out by 'some organizations' that the CO2 reductions we've been experiencing for the last few years have been slowing down, nae, CO2 is going up again, and this mainly (you guessed it) because of the rise in gas powered engines in favour of diesels. It was menioned that the CO2 targets for 2020 (whatever those are) will not be met.
In the next item it was mentioned that after the latest slew of budgetary corrections, our (many) governments have decided to start dialling back the tax benefits for hybrids.

I wonder what they'll come up with on your end.

yavor 10-18-2017 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7286196)

Only in the US. As you know MB has a new 6 in-line 313 hp diesel engine that is already in the S class, and that is going to be on the new GLE next year or whenever they release it. I'm by chance in the US now and wonder how the govenment is so worried about the emissions of Euro 6 diesels but lets all 8 and 10 cylinder Dodge and Chevy trucks with 5-6litres displacement and technology from the early 90's on the road. And there are plenty of them, imagine what it is in rural areas.

skw 10-20-2017 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by yavor (Post 7289467)
Only in the US. As you know MB has a new 6 in-line 313 hp diesel engine that is already in the S class, and that is going to be on the new GLE next year or whenever they release it. I'm by chance in the US now and wonder how the govenment is so worried about the emissions of Euro 6 diesels but lets all 8 and 10 cylinder Dodge and Chevy trucks with 5-6litres displacement and technology from the early 90's on the road. And there are plenty of them, imagine what it is in rural areas.

The pick up trucks and commercial vehicles (in the US) have different emissions standards than a passenger vehicle. MB seems to have pulled out of the diesel market here completely for passenger cars and suv's while BMW is going full steam ahead. You can get a 3 series, 5 series, and X5 all with the diesel.

yavor 10-20-2017 10:01 AM

So it's more a strategy of the vehicle producer than a problem with selling diesels. The MB V6 engine is great though!

skw 10-20-2017 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by yavor (Post 7291018)
So it's more a strategy of the vehicle producer than a problem with selling diesels. The MB V6 engine is great though!

I don't know. I would say it is more of the manufacturer seeing enough profitably (how many diesels they will sell) to bring them over here compared with the costs to meet US emission standards as well as the costs w/ fed certification.

fabbrisd1 10-21-2017 02:30 PM

Yes - model year 2019 will be GLS changeover - just returned from dealer meeting where that was verbally confirmed.

That said - it seems 2018 GLS US production and inventory will be kept "very tight" as compared to 2017 - Mercedes portrays that as smart thinking - personally I think non-US export markets especially to Asia have been booming.

You may not have the full 12in LCD screen from the S-Class - but new gen will have NTG 5.5 found in the 2018 E-Class and 2018 S-Class with expanded features and much expanded voice control.

"Might" be earlier introduction than normal Aug 1st wave.

Dealers will have more info March/April timeframe.

JoeMa 10-21-2017 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7292078)
Yes - model year 2019 will be GLS changeover - just returned from dealer meeting where that was verbally confirmed.

That said - it seems 2018 GLS US production and inventory will be kept "very tight" as compared to 2017 - Mercedes portrays that as smart thinking - personally I think non-US export markets especially to Asia have been booming.

You may not have the full 12in LCD screen from the S-Class - but new gen will have NTG 5.5 found in the 2018 E-Class and 2018 S-Class with expanded features and much expanded voice control.

"Might" be earlier introduction than normal Aug 1st wave.

Dealers will have more info March/April timeframe.

Thanks for the latest info Fab. Can't wait to see what MB has in store.

c4004matic 10-22-2017 08:01 PM

I couldnt wait another whole year or more, I just pulled the ttigger on a fully spec'd 2018 S550. The only option I left out was the offroad package given that I have no need for low gear mountain crawling capacity. Im also pretty certain that the wonderful V8tt will not be available on the next gen so it was now or never.

asterix01 10-24-2017 05:48 PM

Hello, new user here. I was planning on ordering a 2018 GLS but I hear the new model may come out next year. However, the spy shots of both the GLE and GLS in their camouflaged form seem to tell a different story.

The latest GLS spy shots still show heavy body cladding, which is identical to what the GLE looked like at the same time last year. The present GLE camouflage is lighter and reveals more body contours, which would indicate it is much closer to a debut. The fact that Mercedes has only recently begun testing the GLS in the open and its early stage heavy cladding has me wondering whether it will actually debut next year. I've added some relevant images below.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7d50949164.jpg
GLS- Oct 2017

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...82ebd62328.jpg
GLE - July 2016

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7764a922dc.jpg
GLE- Mar 2017

JoeMa 10-24-2017 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by asterix01 (Post 7294705)
Hello, new user here. I was planning on ordering a 2018 GLS but I hear the new model may come out next year. However, the spy shots of both the GLE and GLS in their camouflaged form seem to tell a different story.

The latest GLS spy shots still show heavy body cladding, which is identical to what the GLE looked like at the same time last year. The present GLE camouflage is lighter and reveals more body contours, which would indicate it is much closer to a debut. The fact that Mercedes has only recently begun testing the GLS in the open and its early stage heavy cladding has me wondering whether it will actually debut next year. I've added some relevant images below.

Welcome to the forum asterix01. Of course nothing is official yet about the X167 but fabbrisd1 has a solid track record with regard to future models. Think of him as a MB insider. And if you re-read his post, he just came from a dealer meeting so he is sharing what he and others at that meeting were told. He doesn't post Internet rumors or things he heard from a guy. I'm not saying you shouldn't order a 2018, it's a great SUV, so the best to you on your next purchase regardless of your decision.

asterix01 10-24-2017 11:46 PM

Hi JoeMa, thx for the welcome. I read fabbrisd1's post, and he is probably accurate on this, which is what had me questioning whether there is any significance to the difference in body cladding between the two models. Perhaps, someone can provide some insight on that. Right now, I would prefer to wait if the debut is only a few months away, as I have some reservations on the present GLS's level of interior luxury.

JoeMa 10-26-2017 03:01 PM

Some Internet gossip so take it with a grain of salt. Jives with Fab's earlier post: https://www.motor1.com/news/179058/2...des-gls-spied/

Based on the company’s flexible MHA platform that’s going to be used by the next generation GLE as well, the new GLS will shave off a serious amount of weight despite the fact it is going to be slightly bigger than the current model. The architecture will also allow Mercedes to integrate some semi-autonomous systems and functions derived from the E-Class and S-Class. As far as the power trains are concerned, expect to see a wide range of four-, six-, and eight-cylinder diesel and gasoline engines, with the most popular of them expected to be the inline-six units. They will be offered in both Europe and the United States, and will be mated exclusively to a nine-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox and a 4Matic all-wheel drive. The biggest news here is the rumored hybrid version, which will combine a 3.0-liter gas engine and an electric motor for a total output of well over 400 horsepower (298 kilowatts). Of course, there’s also going to be at least one proper AMG variant getting its power from the brand’s 4.0-liter biturbo V8.

...the all-new second generation GLS will arrive sometime in 2019.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...76e12f5bf5.png

This closeup suggests a dual electronic display also mentioned in Fab's post.

c4004matic 10-27-2017 11:27 PM

The GLE will arrive next year as a 2019 model for sure. The GLS will probably be a 2020 model, according to my dealer who, of course, was motivated to sell me an 18 GL 550. I bit on the scuttlebutt since my trade in is racking up miles quickly and ordered a fully loaded one with essentially every option save the offroad package. I would have loved to get a revised model which will most definitely have the twin screen system but I cant wait another year and a half or two. The 550 is freaking awesome as is aside from its somewhat dated interior.

fabbrisd1 10-28-2017 11:46 PM

Your dealer was full of sales sh*t - he knows the next gen GLS is 2019 model launch,, and as a matter of fact your dealer was also already told 2018 production will be tightened back 25%-30% to allow smoother a la no excess inventory for generation changeover... December production has already been "locked down" ... starting January 1st decade ALL dealers will be getting 25%-30% fewer 2018 GLS's than same time last year for 2017's...

sam9187 10-29-2017 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Your dealer was full of sales sh*t - he knows the next gen GLS is 2019 model launch,, and as a matter of fact your dealer was also already told 2018 production will be tightened back 25%-30% to allow smoother a la no excess inventory for generation changeover... December production has already been "locked down" ... starting January 1st decade ALL dealers will be getting 25%-30% fewer 2018 GLS's than same time last year for 2017's...

Fab - Am I reading it correctly that as a 2019 model year, the GLS will be delivered to customers late 2018? If that’s correct then order banks should open March / April of 2018??

JoeMa 11-07-2017 02:55 PM

As you discover new details about the 2019 GLS X167, please post them here. Include links to any articles.

tate16t 11-11-2017 10:15 PM

Some good pics toward the end of this thread,
https://www.germancarforum.com/threa...r.51984/page-3

JoeMa 11-12-2017 11:47 AM

Two tech features I'm hoping MB supports in the new X167 is wireless charging and wireless CarPlay. The new BMW M5 supports both. Check out this video, it's an iPhone X review but skip to 15:00 to see what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvVKnC6gGtg&feature=youtu.be

fabbrisd1 11-13-2017 02:33 AM

Wireless Qi charging yes - wireless CarPlay not known yet. Apple has really always played a heavy hand with Mercedes on integration from the start... hasn't ever been chummy..

Neurobit 11-13-2017 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7310276)
Wireless Qi charging yes - wireless CarPlay not known yet. Apple has really always played a heavy hand with Mercedes on integration from the start... hasn't ever been chummy..

Gosh I hope you’re wrong on wireless CarPlay. Specially since BMW already has it on a couple of models.
Thanks for all the insight. Pls keep’em coming!

Neurobit

JoeMa 12-12-2017 07:40 PM

2019 GLS X167 spotted again: http://performancedrive.com.au/2019-...rm-video-0711/

tdt5648 12-14-2017 12:57 PM

Here's to hoping that the fantastic new G-class interior will make its debut in the redesigned GLS with the dual large screens!

Neurobit 12-14-2017 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by tdt5648 (Post 7335311)
Here's to hoping that the fantastic new G-class interior will make its debut in the redesigned GLS with the dual large screens!

No doubt. That interior looks gorgeous.

c4004matic 12-14-2017 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by tdt5648 (Post 7335311)

That is virtually guaranteed.

Peter R. 12-16-2017 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Neurobit (Post 7335319)
No doubt. That interior looks gorgeous.

I think it's horrendous, and I don't understand people's fascination with a videogame machine in what is supposed to be the ultimate go everywhere tool. If a bit falls over or a screen cracks when you're out there you're completely in the dark. It's ****e.

wphughes1 12-16-2017 12:59 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...27db7c2c22.jpg

OK so I'm definitely not an artist and have no Photoshop skills but I wanted to see the new GLS in color and this was the best I could do. What do you think (no not about my artist skills).

Neurobit 12-16-2017 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Peter R. (Post 7336706)
I think it's horrendous, and I don't understand people's fascination with a videogame machine in what is supposed to be the ultimate go everywhere tool. If a bit falls over or a screen cracks when you're out there you're completely in the dark. It's ****e.

Hate to break this to you, but all modern vehicles are computer controlled.
Now sure how the screen would get cracked. Does that happen to you often? If so, this is not the vehicle for you.

I love the new look.You don't. We can agree to disagree. If everyone liked the same things the world would be a very boring place.

Neurobit

Nantucket 01-15-2018 10:41 AM

Is there any update as to when MY19 GLS production will start?

I currently have a 2010 GL450 and really need to get a new model this year.Is production definitely going to start this year for the new MY19 GLS model?

Neurobit 01-15-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nantucket (Post 7358012)

I currently have a 2010 GL450 and really need to get a new model this year.Is production definitely going to start this year for the new MY19 GLS model?

If the new 2019 G is any indication (just unveiled at the DAS) they should be available late summer.

Neurobit

On Edit: Mmm... Take this with a grain of salt. I would have assumed they would have something to show at the DAS just like they did with the G, which the MB rep said late summer availability for that model. Not sure about the GLS though. One can only hope. :)

Cheers.

Nantucket 01-15-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Neurobit (Post 7358018)
If the new 2019 G is any indication (just unveiled at the DAS) they should be available late summer.

Neurobit

Thanks for the info.The fall would be the perfect time for me to take delivery.I will definitely wait for the details to be announced.

skw 01-16-2018 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nantucket (Post 7358012)

I do not have high hopes for the MY19 GLS to be the all new model. The new G-wagon was just shown at the Detroit show. Also, in the past few years, the GLE came to market one model year before the GLS and we still have not even seen that yet. My guess, and again, this is just me, it that hopefully by the New York show, we will see the new GLE and those will hit the ground later this year. Followed by the GLS being unveiled at a show around this time next year.

Nantucket 01-16-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by skw (Post 7358804)
I do not have high hopes for the MY19 GLS to be the all new model. The new G-wagon was just shown at the Detroit show. Also, in the past few years, the GLE came to market one model year before the GLS and we still have not even seen that yet. My guess, and again, this is just me, it that hopefully by the New York show, we will see the new GLE and those will hit the ground later this year. Followed by the GLS being unveiled at a show around this time next year.

Based on what fabbrisd1 has said it looks like MY19 production will definitely start this year.Maybe Mercedes decided to release the new GLS a year earlier than they normally would because the new BMW X7 is being released this fall.

Jason B 01-17-2018 10:34 AM

I hope they bring back the WIDE fenders like they had up to 2012. That really made the truck look much meaner and impressive looking.

Strafzettel 01-17-2018 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7359775)
I hope they bring back the WIDE fenders like they had up to 2012. That really made the truck look much meaner and impressive looking.

This is what I have to think of when I see these big wheel wells!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...08fa782e80.png

Jason B 01-17-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Strafzettel (Post 7359804)
This is what I have to think of when I see these big wheel wells!

That's what the current GL550 looks like with the added fenders onto the already flat body... I'm talking about what just about every mercedes had before the newer refreshed models came out only 2-3 years ago.

One of the last models to have that wider look was the CLS, which many still say is one of the nicest looking, least ageless models.

Strafzettel 01-17-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7359833)
That's what the current GL550 looks like with the added fenders onto the already flat body... I'm talking about what just about every mercedes had before the newer refreshed models came out only 2-3 years ago.

One of the last models to have that wider look was the CLS, which many still say is one of the nicest looking, least ageless models.

No, the CLS does not have that look.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1e69c5407a.png

They should never have put that on the old S-Class and it turns the new Audi Q7 from a station wagon into an ugly station wagon

Jason B 01-17-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7359833)

Yes, I said one of of the last models to have that was the CLS, last one

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...0-vfb94p8s.jpg

Strafzettel 01-17-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7359871)
Yes, I said one of of the last models to have that was the CLS, last one

I'm talking about how it's done. The CLS has wide fenders but there is a clean line that looks classy. When you look at that Passat picture it looks like they extended 2- 3 inches just around the wheel cutout and that looks cheap.

jerome8283 01-19-2018 09:03 PM

2020 Mercedes GLS Resurfaces for Winter Testing in the Snow

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-the-snow.html

Neurobit 01-19-2018 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 7361952)
2020 Mercedes GLS Resurfaces for Winter Testing in the Snow

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-the-snow.html

I believe that’s the 2019 mod year, not 2020...

JoeMa 01-19-2018 10:14 PM

Coming late this year as a 2019:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-benz-gls.html

jerome8283 01-20-2018 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Neurobit (Post 7361978)

I believe that’s the 2019 mod year, not 2020...

Yeah, it states that ....
Based on the timing of the spy photos, it’s most likely the new Mercedes GLS will debut next year.

Germancar1 01-21-2018 05:04 AM

Guys, the 2019 GLS will be the same as the 2018 model. The new GLS will be a 2020 model. The GLE will be new for 2019. Not sure what the confusion is here.

M

tate16t 01-21-2018 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 7362653)
Guys, the 2019 GLS will be the same as the 2018 model. The new GLS will be a 2020 model. The GLE will be new for 2019. Not sure what the confusion is here.

M

It will be a 2020 model available for ordering in 2019. Just as some who purchased and took delivery of their 2017 in late 2016.

fabbrisd1 01-21-2018 11:59 PM

Not necessarily so - there in MB internal "pressure" to move X166 forward "early" for 2019 model year - I don't know if anyone has noticed - but 2018 GLS's are in quite tight supply so if the trigger is pulled early the pipeline will be clean.... "should know" in about 5-6 weeks..

skw 01-22-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7363208)
Not necessarily so - there in MB internal "pressure" to move X166 forward "early" for 2019 model year - I don't know if anyone has noticed - but 2018 GLS's are in quite tight supply so if the trigger is pulled early the pipeline will be clean.... "should know" in about 5-6 weeks..

I am not contradicting you by any means. However, in my area (northeast), there seems to be a healthy supply of 2018's. I was doing my usual fishing around at the end of the year and lost on on two 2017 models that had a more favorable MF. For 2018's, we visited 3 different dealers that had no less than 7-10 '18 450's in stock. That's not including the 550's on hand, vehicles coming in, as well as 2 or 3 at each one being used as loaners. Even w/ the new model around the corner, I think I might still grab an '18 on a 36 month lease. By the time it's ready to go back, the "new model" craze/hype would have died down and prices return to normal (remember new C300's going for ~$600/mo when they 1st came out?).

bonboon 01-22-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7363208)

fab any shot next gen has a captains chair 2nd row option?

fabbrisd1 01-22-2018 11:51 PM

The pro-Captain's crew got overruled - sorry

Jason B 01-23-2018 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by asterix01 (Post 7294705)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7d50949164.jpg
GLS- Oct 2017

Looks like new GLS has some good beefy wide fenders again

nynd 01-23-2018 12:14 AM

That rear wheel looks quite meaty.

bonboon 01-23-2018 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7364064)

bummer but good to know this far in advance . Ty for intel

JoeMa 01-23-2018 09:27 AM

Fab - on 10/21/17 you posted: "Yes - model year 2019 will be GLS changeover - just returned from dealer meeting where that was verbally confirmed." Three months later you posted: "should know in about 5-6 weeks." Mercedes would know by now if the new GLS will be released this year as 2019. And its odd that they announced the Grand Edition coming this summer if a new model is coming this fall.

fabbrisd1 01-24-2018 12:11 AM

Just post what I know - it was confirmed at Dealer Meeting - then went soft, not south, right after - so now it's up for final decision and "should" know 5-6 weeks... "Grand Edition" could be the "Final Edition".. we will know when we know..

Germancar1 01-24-2018 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by tate16t (Post 7362688)

It will be a 2020 model available for ordering in 2019. Just as some who purchased and took delivery of their 2017 in late 2016.

Yes I know this, that is what would happen for a 2020 model. Not sure who doesn't know this.

M

JoeMa 01-24-2018 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7364979)
Just post what I know - it was confirmed at Dealer Meeting - then went soft, not south, right after - so now it's up for final decision and "should" know 5-6 weeks... "Grand Edition" could be the "Final Edition".. we will know when we know..

You're right, we will know when we know. Thanks Fab.

bonboon 01-24-2018 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7364064)

hey fab, you have any additional color on why it was squashed?

i remember they gave it some consideration for the mid cycle refresh, and in the context of the x7 possibly offering a 2+2+2 configuration, i figured maybe benz would green light it for this next gen.

JoeMa 01-26-2018 02:34 PM

For what its worth, I saw this poster at the Mercedes Benz display of the Harrisburg Auto Show today:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a8ed33630.jpeg

Check out the bottom left corner:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...120537b35.jpeg

Nantucket 01-26-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7367165)
For what its worth, I saw this poster at the Mercedes Benz display of the Harrisburg Auto Show today:

Thanks for the pic.It doesn’t look like that is an official Mercedes Benz poster.It says Sun Motor Cars,so the poster was done by a dealer.It also says sourced from Autonews.com 2017 on the bottom of the poster.Autonews would definitely not no the official Mercedes Benz future model timeline.They are just speculating.

JoeMa 01-26-2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nantucket (Post 7367206)
Thanks for the pic.It doesn’t look like that is an official Mercedes Benz poster.It says Sun Motor Cars,so the poster was done by a dealer.It also says sourced from Autonews.com 2017 on the bottom of the poster.Autonews would definitely not no the official Mercedes Benz future model timeline.They are just speculating.

Thus the part of my post that starts with "For what its worth". Mercedes would never provide such a poster. I just thought some may find it interesting. I will say the Mercedes where the best cars at this show.

Nantucket 01-26-2018 04:39 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...efcd2a4e3.jpeg

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7367227)
Thus the part of my post that starts with "For what its worth". Mercedes would never provide such a poster. I just thought some may find it interesting. I will say the Mercedes where the best cars at this show.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Did they have the new G class at the show?I was just wondering if you liked the new digital gauge cluster and navigation design.

JoeMa 01-26-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nantucket (Post 7367235)
Did they have the new G class at the show?I was just wondering if you liked the new digital gauge cluster and navigation design.

No, they did have a G but it was sold and locked. They had the new S class, the front redesign is beautiful.

Jason B 01-26-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nantucket (Post 7367235)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...efcd2a4e3.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I can't stand the tacked on screens they keep doing. 2018 G class is the worst.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0b119f2fc.jpeg

Mercedes didn't do this when every other automaker did it - years ago. Then they decide to do it just the past few years, only to get us all mad, then take it away with the new model and make it look integrated again.

Then for 2017, they put that type of screen in the GLS, when the 2013-2016 was integrated. They could have done it another way.

Then these new screens have a 30% black bezel, when they could have gone at least edge to edge.

https://i.redd.it/w8boikzlf4ty.jpg

fabbrisd1 01-26-2018 06:47 PM

I am sure Mercedes intentionally designed the "new" G-Wagen to upset you - what a joke... the G-Wagen presents it's own unique design chanllenge - since the dash is literally a "mask" for longitudinal "beam"/firewall... and yes... the G-Wagen dash is different... it is what it is....

Jason B 01-26-2018 06:50 PM

Upset who? I love the new 2019 G wagon interior! That's how it should be. Like the new e, the w222 s class, etc. Looks great and more ergonomic than ever.

JoeMa 01-26-2018 08:42 PM

There was a $100K Range Rover at the show. I just don't understand the attraction to this SUV's. The new Velar is beautiful but way to small for my needs. I also sat in the Escalade, it's a GMC with added bling. They had the new Lexus LS there but it was behind ropes and they still didn't have pricing on it. The nicest sedan I sat in at the show (easily) was the S class. I know well Mercedes are expensive and often don't hold their value as well as some other brands, but they're just so well made.

bonboon 01-27-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by tate16t (Post 7362688)

i ordered my 2017 in nov 2015, took delivery end of April 2016.

doesnt look like the 2020 will be on that timeline, unfortunately (hypothetically order nov 2018, take delivery April 2019). maybe will be along the lines of order April 2019 for Nov 2019 delivery

Jason B 01-27-2018 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7367418)
There was a $100K Range Rover at the show. I just don't understand the attraction to this SUV's. The new Velar is beautiful but way to small for my needs. I also sat in the Escalade, it's a GMC with added bling. They had the new Lexus LS there but it was behind ropes and they still didn't have pricing on it. The nicest sedan I sat in at the show (easily) was the S class. I know well Mercedes are expensive and often don't hold their value as well as some other brands, but they're just so well made.

I know what you mean. THe top line ford Explorer looks about the same :) We should meet up sometime, I'm in Harrisburg,

bonboon 01-27-2018 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7367418)

A few reasons people choose the Range over the GLS, but there will be fewer with the next gen if they bring the interior to where it needs to be to command the S-class designation.

JoeMa 01-27-2018 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by E3470 (Post 7367852)
A few reasons people choose the Range over the GLS, but there will be fewer with the next gen if they bring the interior to where it needs to be to command the S-class designation.

The S-Class interior is superb so if the X167 approaches that level, GLS will attract new buyers for sure.

skw 01-29-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by E3470 (Post 7365448)
hey fab, you have any additional color on why it was squashed?

i remember they gave it some consideration for the mid cycle refresh, and in the context of the x7 possibly offering a 2+2+2 configuration, i figured maybe benz would green light it for this next gen.

Is it possible that the regular GLS (450, 550, 63) would get a bench seat in the 2nd row and then they reserve the 2nd row captain chairs for a Maybach model?

bonboon 01-29-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by skw (Post 7369257)
Is it possible that the regular GLS (450, 550, 63) would get a bench seat in the 2nd row and then they reserve the 2nd row captain chairs for a Maybach model?

definitely possible.

it looks like that's tthe approach bmw is taking with x7. a leaked optional equipment spec sheet leaked a while back for that vehicle and 2+2 seating was not listed as an option. appears as if it's reserved for an exclusive/premium variant of that vehicle, but we'll see.

Germancar1 02-15-2018 06:23 PM

The new S_Class will be 2021 model here in the U.S. It will debut in 2020, 7 years after the current one did. The 2019 and 2020 will be the SAME cars as today, but with an I6 replacing the V6 in the S450.

M

JoeMa 02-15-2018 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 7382276)
The new S_Class will be 2021 model here in the U.S. It will debut in 2020, 7 years after the current one did. The 2019 and 2020 will be the SAME cars as today, but with an I6 replacing the V6 in the S450.

M

Interesting but why post this on the GLS forum?

thenew3 02-16-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7382289)

Interesting but why post this on the GLS forum?

Maybe he is trying to show that MB is typically on a 7 year cycle which would mean no new GLS till 2020 model year if it sticks with same cycle.

JoeMa 02-16-2018 10:47 PM

A 7 year cycle may be typical for the S Class but the 1st gen GL X164 was 2007-2012, a 6 year cycle. If that's any indication, the 2nd gen GL/GLS may also be on a 6 year cycle, 2013-2018. Of course, MB can do whatever they wish and may indeed retain the current X166 for the 2019 model year. But I'm guessing 2018 will be the last GLS X166 and 2019 will be the start of the new X167. The competition coming from BMW's upcoming X7 is reason enough to get the new GLS X167 to market starting in 2019. Fiercely competitive market for large luxury SUV's.

thenew3 02-16-2018 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7383173)
A 7 year cycle may be typical for the S Class but the 1st gen GL X164 was 2007-2012, a 6 year cycle. If that's any indication, the 2nd gen GL/GLS may also be on a 6 year cycle, 2013-2018. Of course, MB can do whatever they wish and may indeed retain the current X166 for the 2019 model year. But I'm guessing 2018 will be the last GLS X166 and 2019 will be the start of the new X167. The competition coming from BMW's upcoming X7 is reason enough to get the new GLS X167 to market starting in 2019. Fiercely competitive market for large luxury SUV's.

By that logic the W164 ML also had a 6 year cycle, so does that mean the W166 ML/GLE should also be on a 6 year cycle? It's on it's 7th year already, and still no formal announcement of a W167 GLE yet.
But like you said MB can do whatever they want. Just because BMW is releasing an X7 this year doesn't mean MB has to release a new GLS this year. It could be next year they release the new GLS. MFG don't match other MFG product release same year every year. We can sit here and debate this all day long, in the end, only MB knows when they will release the X167.

fabbrisd1 02-17-2018 02:18 AM

It's done - Dealer Order Guides will be released "about" 3rd week March..

skw 02-17-2018 02:41 AM

Anticipation is building... We're going to the NY auto show in April. I don't expect to see it there but hoping for at least some info or teaser pics.

bonboon 02-17-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7383237)
It's done - Dealer Order Guides will be released "about" 3rd week March..

fab don’t play with my emotions.

so you’re saying the GLS reveal is imminent? As in, a surprise debut at Geneva?

or are you saying same model for 2019 model year

Jason B 02-17-2018 08:50 AM

Everything I’ve currently read says 2019. I really hope this thing gets more aggressive like the last one 09-12

Nantucket 02-17-2018 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by E3470 (Post 7383283)

fab don’t play with my emotions.

so you’re saying the GLS reveal is imminent? As in, a surprise debut at Geneva?

or are you saying same model for 2019 model year

If the dealer ordering guide is being released in March,that definitely means that the new GLS is being released this year.Thanks fabbrisd1.

bonboon 02-17-2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nantucket (Post 7383659)

If the dealer ordering guide is being released in March,that definitely means that the new GLS is being released this year.Thanks fabbrisd1.

yeah but for that to be true there needs to be an introduction between now and then

The only auto show between now and mid March is Geneva. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be there...

maybe NY in April then DOG very shortly thereafter

sam9187 02-18-2018 09:15 AM

I'm confused. Is it a new refreshed model for 2019 or same as current one? Fab's comment is vague.

skw 02-18-2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sam9187 (Post 7383884)
I'm confused. Is it a new refreshed model for 2019 or same as current one? Fab's comment is vague.

See post 61

Jason B 02-18-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by skw (Post 7383895)
See post 61

New model GLS for 2019.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2019-mercedes-benz-gls-class-spied-1799388

https://www.motor1.com/news/227016/mercedes-benz-gls-class-spied-bulky/

Grand edition is for later in 2018:

https://blog.caranddriver.com/new-20...enz-gls-class/

"look for the Grand Edition to arrive in dealership showrooms by mid-2018."

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.3747109

"the Grand Edition hits U.S. showrooms mid-year"

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...ws/2100005017/

bonboon 02-18-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7383945)

that article is consistent with all the other info floating around out there.

however, fab's post implies an imminent intro. if DOGs are available in weeks, then an intro must happen within weeks, as well.

fab what's up

thenew3 02-18-2018 08:41 PM

Does the DOG specifically state it's for a 2019 X167 GLS, or could it possibly be for a 2019 X166 GLS? Seems if they are releasing the DOG in a month or so that there would have been a public unveiling by now.
If it's being unveiled in the 2nd half of 2018 at Frankfurt or Paris show, than that likely means it'll be released in 2019 as a 2020 MY vehicle.

sam9187 02-19-2018 04:09 PM

Any update on this.?

cincy8 02-21-2018 12:49 PM

I don’t think we’ll know what the DOG says until it’s released, possibly in a few weeks.

Im wondering if it’s the Grand? But why would they release the Grand only to change the body style the next year?

It it will be fun to see how the theories play out.

bonboon 02-21-2018 01:29 PM

Where is Fabbris? He may have said too much. They have Fab! FREE FAB!!

JoeMa 02-21-2018 04:30 PM

This tread is becoming the most entertaining on the forum. :popcorn:

JoeMa 02-21-2018 08:08 PM

The new MBUX dash spotted in the GLE W167 tester:

https://www.motor1.com/news/228723/2...gle-spy-video/

The MBUX dash will makes it way into the GLS X167 as well.

sam9187 02-21-2018 08:50 PM

Fab has disappeared. He posts a vague post and then disappears. Why even post anything if he wasn't planning on explaining further? My SA is saying GLS won't be released this year. Who knows what the truth is

fabbrisd1 02-22-2018 01:00 AM

My post was not vague ... frankly I don't have time for the conjecture-chit-chat....

nynd 02-22-2018 08:36 AM

Fabbrisd1 - I think we all appreciate the info. Whether is comes out as a 2019 or 2020, there isn't anything any of us can do except wait. Some try and use it for planning but again, it's a waiting game to see what the revision is like. Some may like it... others may wish to hold onto what they have.

Jason B 02-22-2018 02:09 PM

The grand edition I think will come out soon and is just a hold over vehicle, before new one comes. I've seen other manufacturers do this mid model year.

JoeMa 02-22-2018 02:47 PM

The Grand Edition is just a new trim package. The vehicle is exactly the same.

$6,000 upcharge on a GLS450
$3,200 upcharge on a GLS550

Look for the new GLS X167 very soon as a 2019, not a 2020.

Germancar1 02-22-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7388037)
The Grand Edition is just a new trim package. The vehicle is exactly the same.

$6,000 upcharge on a GLS450
$3,200 upcharge on a GLS550

Look for the new GLS X167 very soon as a 2019, not a 2020.

Based on what? For the next generation GLS to be a 2019 model they would need to show it next month at NYC or over the summer. They haven't even shown the new GLE yet which is older. I could see the GLE at NYC next month and the GLS at L.A. in November which would make it a early 2020 model, actually going on sale in early 2019.

M

bonboon 02-22-2018 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 7388167)
Based on what? For the next generation GLS to be a 2019 model they would need to show it next month at NYC or over the summer. They haven't even shown the new GLE yet which is older. I could see the GLE at NYC next month and the GLS at L.A. in November which would make it a early 2020 model, actually going on sale in early 2019.

M

for the 167 to deliver year end, there’s gotta be an intro really soon. fingers crossed it's in ny. definitely possible seeing as tho it's a great market for that ride....

sam9187 02-22-2018 08:39 PM

It's being posted here on multiple occasions that the GLS will be released soon. I can't find any info on this. My SA at a big dealership in the DFW area is telling me it's not being released. Fab is posting that it is and then gets upset when I suggested his post is vague. Germancar1 is right in that how can the GLS be released before the GLE. At this point I am not sure if anyone really knows what the truth is.

Jason B 02-22-2018 08:54 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...120537b35.jpeg

This was at the autoshow :)

fabbrisd1 02-22-2018 11:01 PM

Now this was a real chuckle...... " my SA at a big dealership in the DFW area is telling me it's not being released." ... good to know Texas plans to secede from the Union ... or maybe it's Park Place - same group that just had to rat me out to MBUSA 2yrs ago for my post's here of each newly released Mercedes SUV Dealer Order Guides - strictly to help the members on this Board .... Big Heads - No Brains - and No Passion for Mercedes....

Peter R. 02-23-2018 03:41 AM

IIRC, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the GLS was presented to the general public in the Austrian alps somewhere in 2015. It was 2016 before they were actually 'orderable' (is that a word ?) over here, and well into 2016 when the first ones were actually delivered.

Maybe they're just doing something similar again.

Pete

skw 02-23-2018 11:32 AM

On the 5 pages of this thread, there's only one person posting that was actually in any of the MB meetings where features, specs, and release dates of the new GLS was discussed. MB as a corporation can do what they want, when they want with their products/vehicles. The traditional 6 or 7 year model cycle, the GLE being released before the GLS, or it being shown at an upcoming auto show before it's release are all guesses based on past practice. There is nothing binding them to continue to do the same. Only thing we can do is wait and see. We go to NYIAS every year, already have our room booked for the 1st w/e in April. I'm hoping to see or hear something by then.

bonboon 02-23-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by skw (Post 7388672)
On the 5 pages of this thread, there's only one person posting that was actually in any of the MB meetings where features, specs, and release dates of the new GLS was discussed. MB as a corporation can do what they want, when they want with their products/vehicles. The traditional 6 or 7 year model cycle, the GLE being released before the GLS, or it being shown at an upcoming auto show before it's release are all guesses based on past practice. There is nothing binding them to continue to do the same. Only thing we can do is wait and see. We go to NYIAS every year, already have our room booked for the 1st w/e in April. I'm hoping to see or hear something by then.

to your point, there wasn't a german competitor prior to the x7.

so if they can beat the x7 to market (which it sounds like they will, given x7 will be introduced in November in production trim), i'm sure they'd prefer to

Jason B 02-23-2018 03:29 PM

Jason B 02-23-2018 03:54 PM

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...-wheels-123334 - lol

EDIT, Now works.

thenew3 02-23-2018 03:57 PM

404 Not found

bonboon 02-24-2018 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by thenew3 (Post 7388899)
404 Not found

the article didn’t have anything new in it. Of more relevance is a new pic of GLE on motor1 that shows more or less an undisguised front end

gle getting very close too, it seems

thenew3 02-24-2018 10:04 AM

Auto Evolution site says it's 2020

JoeMa 02-24-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by thenew3 (Post 7389336)

They're guessing (might, could) and the X167 will be the 3rd gen GL/GLS, not the 2nd gen as this article incorrectly states:

"As for the second generation of the Mercedes-Benz GLS, we might have to wait until next year to meet the high-riding luxobarge, which could hit the U.S. market as a 2020 model."

thenew3 02-24-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7389347)
They're guessing (might, could) and the X167 will be the 3rd gen GL/GLS, not the 2nd gen as this article incorrectly states:

"As for the second generation of the Mercedes-Benz GLS, we might have to wait until next year to meet the high-riding luxobarge, which could hit the U.S. market as a 2020 model."

Yes they are guessing, so are most of us who don't work for MB.

It is second gen GLS. First gen GLS is the current X166. There was no X164 GLS. it was GL. So they are not incorrect.

JoeMa 02-24-2018 12:06 PM

Please don't take my post personal. I was only trying to point out that the article should be taken with a grain of salt.

sam9187 02-24-2018 11:10 PM

At this point no one knows for sure. It's all speculation. We hope the GLS will be released this year but we would have to wait and see what MB decides.

Jason B 02-25-2018 02:14 PM

TO be a 2019 or to not be :)

JoeMa 03-02-2018 09:44 AM

Neurobit 03-02-2018 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7394495)

Cool wheels...

bonboon 03-02-2018 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7394495)

digging those rims.

i wonder if they will go to some tilt forward mechanism for second row to ease ingress/egress like infiniti, vw (atlas) and others have.

that plus captains would make me very very happy...fingers crossed.

JoeMa 03-02-2018 11:18 AM

It's mindbogglingly to think of the amount of work that goes into a new model. I wonder how many different people are involved. The entire car industry is fascinating.

Jason B 03-02-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7394583)
It's mindbogglingly to think of the amount of work that goes into a new model. I wonder how many different people are involved. The entire car industry is fascinating.

Yep, it's funny as in the last few weeks nothing new, no new info, but if you look on the net 99% say it's coming for 2019 model.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5d8c3cc367.jpg

fabbrisd1 03-04-2018 12:44 AM

The 2019 GLS will be on display at MB dealer meeting in Cabo...... DOG will is currently scheduled to be released end-Mar/mid-April...

JoeMa 03-04-2018 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7395804)
The 2019 GLS will be on display at MB dealer meeting in Cabo...... DOG will is currently scheduled to be released end-Mar/mid-April...

Thanks fab, but will it be the new 3rd gen X167?

jerome8283 03-04-2018 09:24 AM

Also, I assume this means the 2019 GLS X167 will be at the NY Auto show?

There is a lot of competition, the GLS needs to be stepped up!

bonboon 03-05-2018 10:26 AM

So mbworld GLS forum meet and greet / crash the dealer outing in Cabo? I’m in

Jason B 03-05-2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7395804)

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7395870)
Thanks fab, but will it be the new 3rd gen X167?

Who would care to go to Cabo if it wasn't the new model :) I bet it is.

Jason B 03-06-2018 12:15 PM

I've confirmed the 2019 GLS will be a NEW MODEL, but we always knew it would be, right? :)

JoeMa 03-06-2018 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7397660)
I've confirmed the 2019 GLS will be a NEW MODEL, but we always knew it would be, right? :)

Who confirmed it? And you're right about my question to Fab, why would dealers travel to Cabo to see the same model, D'oh.

JoeMa 03-06-2018 02:03 PM

This just hit the press - the 2019 AMG GT 4-Door which includes the new MBUX dash with touchscreen and Touchpad:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-mercedes-amg-gt-4-door-coupe-officially-unveiled-packs-up-to-630-hp-news?src=socialflowFBCAD&mag=cdb&dom=fb

To be shown at the Geneva Auto Show

tate16t 03-06-2018 06:47 PM

I've confirmed the world will end tomorrow, but we always knew it would end one day, right?

sam9187 03-06-2018 08:36 PM

So basically we are still at square one. When is this Cabo meeting?

Jason B 03-06-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7397745)
Who confirmed it? And you're right about my question to Fab, why would dealers travel to Cabo to see the same model, D'oh.

We aren't at square one. I know someone going to the Cabo meeting.

sam9187 03-06-2018 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B

I hope you are right.

bonboon 03-07-2018 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7398140)

when is it bro?

sam9187 03-07-2018 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by E3470
when is it bro?

+1

GregW / Oregon 03-12-2018 11:47 AM

New GLS

I'm a GLE guy - didn't the W166 ML (2012) come out a year before the X166 GL (2013)? Given that the W167 has not been officially announced yet, but is imminent, I would think the 2019 GLS will be a refreshed carryover model? I wouldn't think they would bring both out at the same time.

c4004matic 03-12-2018 02:40 PM

If those fugly air vents and riculoud dash hold bar make it to the GLS, that would be a deal killer for me.

fabbrisd1 03-13-2018 12:37 AM

Yes - both GLE and GLS new gen at the same time - shared architecture..

Jason B 03-13-2018 08:11 AM

JoeMa 03-13-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7403344)

I watched the video and read the article but had to laugh when it suggested the taillights are not yet production-ready. It must not have occurred to him that MB may simply be hiding the final design of the taillights under those gaudy, bug-eyed turn signals. And for him to suggest the GLS may not be ready until next year based on some hidden taillights is silly. My money is with Fab's posts.

GregW / Oregon 03-13-2018 10:26 AM

Release date for X167

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7403191)
Yes - both GLE and GLS new gen at the same time - shared architecture..

Despite the shared architecture, in both the last two generations the GL(S) came out the year after the ML (GLE). ML 2005, GL 2006; ML 2012, GL 2013. Correct?

JoeMa 03-13-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 7403404)
Despite the shared architecture, in both the last two generations the GL(S) came out the year after the ML (GLE). ML 2005, GL 2006; ML 2012, GL 2013. Correct?

That was then, this is now.

GregW / Oregon 03-13-2018 11:10 AM

GLE vs. GLS release

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7403427)
That was then, this is now.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought Mercedes would want to spread them out from a marketing perspective so they weren't "stealing each other's thunder," so to speak.

JoeMa 03-13-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 7403440)
Thanks for the feedback. I thought Mercedes would want to spread them out from a marketing perspective so they weren't "stealing each other's thunder," so to speak.

I hear what you're saying but Fab is reporting both are coming to market at the same time this time around. Lot's of competition for luxury SUV's.

c4004matic 03-13-2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7403449)
I hear what you're saying but Fab is reporting both are coming to market at the same time this time around. Lot's of competition for luxury SUV's.

There is no reason they shouldn't given that the GLS is essentially a stretched GLE, though they have promised that the GLS will be more differentiated in the new design. Personally, I see few if any faults with the present GLS, if they had kept the same vehicle with the new E class glass cockpit and a second row that could be adjusted for foot space, I would have called it a homerun!

Nantucket 03-13-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7403369)
I watched the video and read the article but had to laugh when it suggested the taillights are not yet production-ready. It must not have occurred to him that MB may simply be hiding the final design of the taillights under those gaudy, bug-eyed turn signals. And for him to suggest the GLS may not be ready until next year based on some hidden taillights is silly. My money is with Fab's posts.

Did the video show the complete uncovered new GLS design,except for the taillights being hidden?

opelrsx 03-13-2018 07:07 PM

I was told they will be available as 2020 model. Just the words from dealership, no "insider" ;)

sam9187 03-13-2018 11:41 PM

So we still don't really know for sure. When is this Cabo meeting?

bonboon 03-14-2018 05:53 AM

JoeMa 03-14-2018 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by E3470 (Post 7404169)

Nice. I love the look of the Panamericana grille on other MB's. It should work perfectly on the AMG GLS 63.

sam9187 03-14-2018 11:03 AM

I like it. Don't like that article projects 63 model to be released as a 2020 model. I don't want to wait another year to replace my GL63.

jerome8283 03-14-2018 10:49 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/20...xury-suvs/amp/

“Look for the new GLS to begin reaching dealers sometime next year.”

bonboon 03-15-2018 05:39 AM

And now word of “concept” Maybach debut in 6 weeks

https://www.motor1.com/news/236193/m...concept-rumor/

jerome8283 03-15-2018 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by E3470 (Post 7404972)
And now word of “concept” Maybach debut in 6 weeks

https://www.motor1.com/news/236193/m...concept-rumor/

qmciver 03-16-2018 05:38 AM

Spotted article saying GLS will debut in concept form at Beijing Auto Show.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...jing-auto-show

jerome8283 03-16-2018 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by qmciver (Post 7405750)
Spotted article saying GLS will debut in concert form at Beijing Auto Show.

Is this a glimpse of what the lower cost GLS will look like?

bonboon 03-16-2018 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by qmciver (Post 7405750)
Spotted article saying GLS will debut in concert form at Beijing Auto Show.

the guy reporting that (Greg Kable, Autocar) is no hack. Might be legit

jerome8283 03-16-2018 07:30 AM

bonboon 03-16-2018 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 7405770)

that is a good question. time will tell.

my 0.02 is that render has a little too much Bentayga in it

the people we should ask are the Cabo attendees !

jerome8283 03-16-2018 11:42 PM

Battle of the bigs:

MB has got to step it up with its next version.

Lincoln Navigator vs. Cadillac Escalade vs. Mercedes-Benz GLS550

http://autoweek.com/article/suv/battle-bigs-lincoln-navigator-vs-cadillac-escalade-vs-mercedes-benz-gls

Benz Werd 03-17-2018 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 7405770)

Oh wow, what is that? It looks like a Cayenne mixed with an Infinity QX70. Please tell me it's not really the new Maybach SUV. It's awful!

JoeMa 03-17-2018 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by AussieBenzLover (Post 7406458)
Oh wow, what is that? It looks like a Cayenne mixed with an Infinity QX70. Please tell me it's not really the new Maybach SUV. It's awful!

The pic is just more Internet BS. :bsflag:

We will see the new design soon enough.

Benz Werd 03-17-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7406479)
The pic is just more Internet BS. :bsflag:

We will see the new design soon enough.

haha yeah, like most of the talk on this thread! We are all so excited about something we don't even know about!

jerome8283 03-17-2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by AussieBenzLover (Post 7406458)

It's too small also. It looks more like a GLE class.

JoeMa 03-19-2018 02:30 PM

C-NET's Road Show posted: "The Mercedes-Maybach SUV is expected to make its debut as a concept next month in Beijing, and then we'll see the full-production version in November in Los Angeles."

Looking forward to seeing the 2019 GLS X167 in the coming weeks, well in advance of a production Maybach GLS in Los Angeles in November.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/m...ra-luxury-suv/

jerome8283 03-21-2018 07:51 AM

More on the Maybach ...

sam9187 03-21-2018 04:37 PM

That doesn't look all that good. Looks like few photoshop changes on to the old one

bonboon 03-21-2018 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 7409741)

Man that is a terrible render

JoeMa 03-27-2018 10:19 PM

Check out the second-row headrest in one of the test mules, completely different from the current headrest:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1bffcb7cf8.png

bonboon 03-27-2018 10:25 PM

Wow great catch joe. Possibly a captain’s chair?

JoeMa 03-28-2018 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by E3470 (Post 7415619)
Wow great catch joe. Possibly a captain’s chair?

I was thinking its a redesign due to the issues reported by many buyers with smaller children. The Maybach GLS will have captain's chairs, if your willing to take out a 2nd mortgage. :)

Jason B 03-28-2018 11:20 AM

I still love how nothing on google still for anything recent on the 2019 GLS has popped up. With what we know, it's kinda funny. Either all the excitement is here on this forum, or as a whole, it's not a big deal :)

JoeMa 03-28-2018 11:41 AM

I thinks it points to one thing, MB is about to unveil the new GLS and they don't want any leaks. Fab's gone completely silent because he and any others invited to see it are sworn to secrecy. Look for the DOG to be available very soon. Then we will see what's coming.

cincy8 03-28-2018 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7415977)
I still love how nothing on google still for anything recent on the 2019 GLS has popped up. With what we know, it's kinda funny. Either all the excitement is here on this forum, or as a whole, it's not a big deal :)

I even tried to google the Cabo dealers meeting. Nada

bonboon 03-28-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cincy8 (Post 7416065)

I even tried to google the Cabo dealers meeting. Nada

i both googled and tried to crash it to no avail

jerome8283 03-28-2018 07:24 PM

Do you guys think the 2019 GLS will be at the New York auto show?

Nantucket 03-28-2018 08:19 PM

fabbrisd1 is probably sucking back a nice ice cold Mojito in Cabo right now and having a great time.

JoeMa 03-28-2018 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 7416440)

Possible but not likely since it starts 3/30/18. More likely a later show.

skw 03-29-2018 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 7416440)

We're going to NYIAS next weekend. Press day was yesterday and the only things MB was showing as new were the facelift and power increase on the C's, the G63, and the GT-4. As was mentioned, Fab has gone completely silent. I think that speaks volumes. True test is if in a few days he replies again to other threads but not this one. That would mean something big is coming.

jerome8283 03-29-2018 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by skw (Post 7416666)
We're going to NYIAS next weekend. Press day was yesterday and the only things MB was showing as new were the facelift and power increase on the C's, the G63, and the GT-4. As was mentioned, Fab has gone completely silent. I think that speaks volumes. True test is if in a few days he replies again to other threads but not this one. That would mean something big is coming.

Does press day normally reveal everything or do they keep surprises in their pockets?

Jason B 03-29-2018 11:26 AM

Competition is gonna be fierce.

http://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/28/linco...nt-design.html

actually, this looks great.

opelrsx 03-29-2018 11:39 AM

Only if they get rid of the button shifter :smash:

bonboon 03-30-2018 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7416892)
Competition is gonna be fierce.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/28/linc...nt-design.html

actually, this looks great.

it's interesting, i really do like what lincoln is doing these days. but i can't speak to customer satisfaction or if they have sustainable build quality. i know if i was going to go american for a big suv, i'd pick the navi over the escalade. the interior is something special, plus, the third row has a lot of room regardless of whether or not you choose the long wheelbase edition. i went to a local dealer to see a navigator in person and the guy said they wouldn't even have a demo on the lot til june or so. lincoln is selling every one they can manufacture.

i'm not sure mercedes considers lincoln competition in the mid size segment (GLE) or for the GLS, but being mindful of what interests the american shopper is something they are very committed to. excited to see what they have in store for the gle and gls.

jerome8283 04-02-2018 09:22 PM

New DOG and final update here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...errerid=117175

GregW / Oregon 04-02-2018 09:35 PM

New GLS vs GLE

Originally Posted by jerome8283 (Post 7420484)

So, JoeMa, I guess I was right. No way Mercedes would drop both redesigned models in the same year, and the GLE is a year older.

Nantucket 04-02-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 7420493)
So, JoeMa, I guess I was right. No way Mercedes would drop both redesigned models in the same year, and the GLE is a year older.

i think everyone on the forum knows that but fabbrisd1 implied that the new GLS was going to released this year and he has always had very credible info on the forum.Maybe you should be posting your response to him.

JoeMa 04-02-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 7420493)

It looks like you were right and I was wrong. All signs pointed to a 2019 X167.

sam9187 04-02-2018 11:52 PM

So the suspense is over. Let's move on. Will regroup next year.

Peter R. 04-03-2018 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by sam9187 (Post 7420588)
So the suspense is over. Let's move on. Will regroup next year.

Not by a long shot. I think they're going to do the first press releases around new year, leaks probably a bit earlier. Restart the speculation around October.

Pete

Germancar1 04-03-2018 05:33 PM

GLE will probably be released this summer, non auto show event, like at the factory in AL is my guess. GLS **may** get a November introduction at the L.A. auto show.

M

Germancar1 04-22-2018 03:15 AM

Hilariously WRONG lol.

M

Jason B 01-02-2019 02:59 PM

Still nothing??? can't believe if this isn't released soon!?

qmciver 01-02-2019 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7643893)
Still nothing??? can't believe if this isn't released soon!?

It will probably show at Geneva in March. They are trying to spread the reveals apart enough where the cars can all have their time in the media spot light.

CLA is set to debut in just a few days a CES.

Jason B 01-02-2019 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've just never seen a model so secret from them in a long while.

bonboon 01-02-2019 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7643903)
Thanks for the reply. I've just never seen a model so secret from them in a long while.

Geneva seems logical, or NY shortly thereafter. US the big market for this vehicle, and sales have tailed off something serious over here

GregW / Oregon 01-02-2019 06:40 PM

2020 GLS

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7643903)

The 2020 V167 GLE was close. The order banks opened in early November, but there was nothing official from Daimler until September 11, and info has been slow to trickle out. There is still not pricing on all options, only a preliminary DOG & the short-run 2019 is still up on the MBUSA site.

https://www.motor1.com/news/287568/2...gls-spy-video/

jerome8283 01-02-2019 09:10 PM

Maybe MB is re-thinking their design due to the competition? :p:

bonboon 01-03-2019 05:45 AM

NY mentioned here

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/merced...new-model-push

Delta5275 01-03-2019 12:33 PM

Can’t wait for this to come out. I’m hoping they make it closer to the s class which I think they will to compete more with the range