GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Active LED headlamps / Cornering Lights Missing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS550
How can some models in the US have cornering lights and some people here say they don't comply with US regulations and don't exist in US vehicles? Hope someone can confirm for sure whether they exist or not.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
Well I can tell you from personal experience. I had a 2015 GL450 and have a GLS 450 currently. Both do not have the cornering lights. They do have the active lights which swivel a few degrees with the steering wheel direction. That’s completely different than cornering lights which are the small light bulbs that come on at low speeds while turning or when you engage the turn signal. I do have those on my 2017 E class.
If cornering lights are present in a US spec GLS I’d love to see a video of it. They work when the car is stationary. All you need to do the turn the wheel when the lights are on in auto mode while the car is Parked and the lights will come on. My GLS is a 2017. Maybe they changed for 2018 but I doubt it.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-let-you-have/

I notice the article is dated 2013......so some stuff may (hopefully) have changed
Old 12-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLS 550 & 2016 SLK300
Originally Posted by Owlet
So your GLS550 does the same as your SLK in that video? What year is it? My 2018 doesn't do that.
I apologize for confusion all. When I posted that the GLS had similar to SLK I was certain it was the case. We were heading out last night, after dark, so took the GLS around the block to test. Sure enough it doesn't have the corner lights, I was remembering the SLK when thinking GLS. That said, I can't imagine how much more is lighting is needed beyond the active LED lights as corners are plenty lit. I was going to do a video of same route each car to show comparison but started raining and still misting. This week will mount a GoPro and drive same route each car to show difference.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by c4004matic
There is no activation setting they are always on!
Then your previous statement, "Its the small window on the yellow portion of the headlamp if it doesnt work they are simply not activated" doesn't make sense, sorry.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 702 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by tate16t
Then your previous statement, "Its the small window on the yellow portion of the headlamp if it doesnt work they are simply not activated" doesn't make sense, sorry.
From the factory..... sorry my statement wasnt clear. In other vehicles with the system thats where the curve illumination LED lamp resides.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS450
2020 LED headlights

Originally Posted by baobay
The GLS/GLE do not come with the cornering lights in the US. These are NOT the same as the active lights which turn as you turn the steering wheel. The cornering lights are small lamps which come on at low speed when turning or when you turn the blinker on. I have a 2017 E300 with multibeam lighting and it does have the cornering lights. Not a big deal in my opinion, but they are there.
Just was at the dealer and looked closely at the LED headlights on a new 2020 GLS and a GLE. I saw what I think are cornering lights on these, a small window with clear leds facing to the side. Sales people were all busy and I did not have time to check it out but looks like Mercedes has added the cornering lights on finally. This after years of incorrect advertising on their website saying the active LED headlights had cornering lights when they did not.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS450
Good bye Mercedes-Benz

Emailed and called MB in Atlanta to try to verify if the cornering lights the MBUSA website says are included with the LED active headlights really are or not. Disappointed to say they told me no they are not. I reminded them they continue to incorrectly indicate on the MBUSA they are included. Essentially false advertising and you order it and it’s not there. They did not seem to care about that.

So with wronging customers on actual equipment supplied when ordering in good faith, the quality issues with the GLS, no supply of EQC or any other EV or even PHEV products, and apparent Lack of technological progress, I am switching to the Tesla Model X.

My wife’s hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander runs off my solar panels and is a technological marvel for under $40,000. I just don’t understand what has happened to Mercedes.

I’ll miss the last 50 years and many high tech vehicles at or way ahead of their time that I bought and enjoyed with ya ..... Good bye

Originally Posted by Blake4@aol.com
Just was at the dealer and looked closely at the LED headlights on a new 2020 GLS and a GLE. I saw what I think are cornering lights on these, a small window with clear leds facing to the side. Sales people were all busy and I did not have time to check it out but looks like Mercedes has added the cornering lights on finally. This after years of incorrect advertising on their website saying the active LED headlights had cornering lights when they did not.