MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/)
-   -   Active LED headlamps / Cornering Lights Missing (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166/692176-active-led-headlamps-cornering-lights-missing.html)

Blake4@aol.com 12-13-2017 05:33 PM

Active LED headlamps / Cornering Lights Missing

Ordered and received 2018 GLS450 with the Active LED headlamps / Intelligent Light System upgrade, but the cornering lights I really wanted for the dark rural area we live in and narrow garage are MISSING !!! from the headlight module. Dealer has had the car now for a week trying to get in touch with someone at MB who can explain this omission, get it on my vehicle. Same issue with my 2014 GL350 with BiXenons, no cornering lights....so one reason I ordered a new one as the online build system says it's there as you see below.

Other tidbits for ya.
This GLS450 was also delivered with wrong wheels which the dealer quickly replaced. Really miss my Diesel engine, It is really interesting driving with the Driver Assistance package and Steering Pilot which can only steer for about 10 seconds and not at all on sharp curves, and likes to steer us off onto the freeway off ramps instead of going straight. Some learning going on with this technology I imagine with telemetry from cameras and the Pilot system being sent back to MB through the built in internet. Somehow forgot to order Parking Pilot because of the name change from Parktronic I guess.

Still mad about the missing cornering lights. https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f7e8139fd6.png

Strafzettel 12-14-2017 10:06 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I think I've seen another thread about that and for some reason we don't get these cornering lights here in the US? I've driven a GLC with it in Germany and it took some getting used to having the blinker lever always in forward/high beam position for the lights to automatically switch between regular and high beam. I have the parking assist and I don't care too much about the automatic parking function but the 360 degree camera system is great.

Neurobit 12-14-2017 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Strafzettel (Post 7335180)
I'm not 100% sure but I think I've seen another thread about that and for some reason we don't get these cornering lights here in the US? I've driven a GLC with it in Germany and it took some getting used to having the blinker lever always in forward/high beam position for the lights to automatically switch between regular and high beam. I have the parking assist and I don't care too much about the automatic parking function but the 360 degree camera system is great.

That doesn't sound right. I have active curve lights on my 2014 GL550, unless we're talking about something new.

Strafzettel 12-14-2017 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Neurobit (Post 7335326)
That doesn't sound right. I have active curve lights on my 2014 GL550, unless we're talking about something new.

Do the lights turn as you turn the steering wheel, like it did in the Citroen DS?

Neurobit 12-14-2017 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Strafzettel (Post 7335331)
Do the lights turn as you turn the steering wheel, like it did in the Citroen DS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjWxF4_G-pM

Yep, they sure do.

drwolf 12-14-2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Neurobit (Post 7335342)
Yep, they sure do.

+1, i have the ML with the ILS system

baobay 12-14-2017 02:27 PM

The GLS/GLE do not come with the cornering lights in the US. These are NOT the same as the active lights which turn as you turn the steering wheel. The cornering lights are small lamps which come on at low speed when turning or when you turn the blinker on. I have a 2017 E300 with multibeam lighting and it does have the cornering lights. Not a big deal in my opinion, but they are there.

Strafzettel 12-14-2017 04:50 PM

Looks like you are getting the corners illuminated, it's just done in a different way.... pretty cool technique!

Neurobit 12-14-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Strafzettel (Post 7335522)
Looks like you are getting the corners illuminated, it's just done in a different way.... pretty cool technique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJjvYPV3oc

Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool indeed!

GeneralToner 12-14-2017 09:01 PM

I have both the turning headlights in corners and cornering lights at low speed on both 2017 GLS550 and 2016 SLK300 (both have whatever top lighting packages at time).

Turning lights follow steering wheel and cornering are just a brighter light in direction of turn signal. For record I leave lights on both cars in the auto high beam pushed forward position, friends behind have commented at just how impressive it is to watch from behind as goes high/low.

In USA.

350MH83 12-15-2017 05:07 AM

Normally the cornerning lights are not available in the US. the reason is that by law, the light beam must be the same from both headlights. This is the case with the active headlight as both steer by the same amount. But for the cornering one, only one of them lights up, so it does not comply.

GeneralToner 12-15-2017 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 350MH83 (Post 7335830)
Normally the cornerning lights are not available in the US. the reason is that by law, the light beam must be the same from both headlights. This is the case with the active headlight as both steer by the same amount. But for the cornering one, only one of them lights up, so it does not comply.

That's odd that both cars do then. I'll try to get some video this evening, maybe what I'm thinking is corning lights (lower speed in turn direction) is something else.

Regardless, these are some impressive headlights. I doesn't cease to amaze me how the headlights very seldom are seen above the trunk line of vehicles in front of me regardless of size/height. The only challenge is that LEDs are bright enough that occasionally I get flashed from oncoming that think I have brights on (after I noticed went to not bright). These things sense oncoming cars from a long ways away to turn down the brights.

Blake4@aol.com 12-15-2017 01:54 PM

Except that as you can see the mbusa site page describing the LED ILS system shows them as included. And my 2015 GLK has the separate bordering lights with a separate bulb. The mb technical site describing LED ILS module refers to two additional bulbs in each module for the separate CORNERING lights, which are separate from the Active LED headlights as has been mentioned. Dealer still has my car now going on a week and a half trying to find out from Daimler what the real story is.

Originally Posted by baobay (Post 7335384)
The GLS/GLE do not come with the cornering lights in the US. These are NOT the same as the active lights which turn as you turn the steering wheel. The cornering lights are small lamps which come on at low speed when turning or when you turn the blinker on. I have a 2017 E300 with multibeam lighting and it does have the cornering lights. Not a big deal in my opinion, but they are there.

Strafzettel 12-15-2017 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blake4@aol.com (Post 7336114)
Except that as you can see the mbusa site page describing the LED ILS system shows them as included. And my 2015 GLK has the separate bordering lights with a separate bulb. The mb technical site describing LED ILS module refers to two additional bulbs in each module for the separate CORNERING lights, which are separate from the Active LED headlights as has been mentioned. Dealer still has my car now going on a week and a half trying to find out from Daimler what the real story is.

Why is your dealer keeping the car for that long, it's not like he can drill holes and add some bulbs to it. Have you tested the car in the dark by using the blinker and turning the steering wheel to see if there is any corner illumination? Would be nice to see some photos to get an idea what everyone is talking about!

GeneralToner 12-19-2017 10:14 PM

Had SLK out tonight with top down (was 45 degrees and clear). Remembered the board and only had iPhone, here's sample of what I call cornering lights and the auto high/low.

The GLS550 does similar, will get some video of that later with a better camera.

Strafzettel 12-20-2017 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralToner (Post 7339419)
Had SLK out tonight with top down (was 45 degrees and clear). Remembered the board and only had iPhone, here's sample of what I call cornering lights and the auto high/low.

The GLS550 does similar, will get some video of that later with a better camera.

https://youtu.be/_mxcBHn47hM

That's impressive, thanks for sharing! I was also wondering what the lamps with and without cornering lights look like since Blake4 is so unhappy about his car not matching the photo on mbusa.com

rorywquin 12-20-2017 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Strafzettel (Post 7335180)

There was a Popular Mechanics article on what you don't get in the USA because of outdated legislation. Cornering lights is one. Flashing brake lights another......they listed 10 but I cannot find the article....

drwolf 12-20-2017 06:17 PM

https://youtu.be/_mxcBHn47hM

thats really cool, i dont have that on mine, given i have the lighting package but i guess since my moves with the way the car turns, not a big deal since the distance the lights go i can see the corners as it is since the Bi-Xenon's are moving

Owlet 12-22-2017 05:14 PM

So your GLS550 does the same as your SLK in that video? What year is it? My 2018 doesn't do that.

baobay 12-22-2017 05:59 PM

The GLS 550 does not have the cornering Lights. It has the active LED lights but the US spec does not have the cornering lights.
So It doesn’t do what the SLK does. Next redesign is sure to have them.

Owlet 12-22-2017 06:10 PM

Well, this is confusing. GeneralToner says his GLS550 has them. Neurobit also seems to have them, although his is 2014 GL, not GLS.

Owlet 12-22-2017 06:12 PM

Should the lights turn with the steering wheel like in that Citroen video? I don't see them doing it like that when the car is parked...

c4004matic 12-22-2017 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Blake4@aol.com (Post 7334684)
Ordered and received 2018 GLS450 with the Active LED headlamps / Intelligent Light System upgrade, but the cornering lights I really wanted for the dark rural area we live in and narrow garage are MISSING !!! from the headlight module. Dealer has had the car now for a week trying to get in touch with someone at MB who can explain this omission, get it on my vehicle. Same issue with my 2014 GL350 with BiXenons, no cornering lights....so one reason I ordered a new one as the online build system says it's there as you see below.

Other tidbits for ya.
This GLS450 was also delivered with wrong wheels which the dealer quickly replaced. Really miss my Diesel engine, It is really interesting driving with the Driver Assistance package and Steering Pilot which can only steer for about 10 seconds and not at all on sharp curves, and likes to steer us off onto the freeway off ramps instead of going straight. Some learning going on with this technology I imagine with telemetry from cameras and the Pilot system being sent back to MB through the built in internet. Somehow forgot to order Parking Pilot because of the name change from Parktronic I guess.

Still mad about the missing cornering lights. https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f7e8139fd6.png

Lets get things straight. If your vehicle has the headlights in this pic, it has active curve illumination. Its the small window on the yellow portion of the headlamp if it doesnt work they are simply not activated. Second there is no US regulation forbidding it, my e43 has them and they work just dandy.
As I havent received my car yet I cant comment on the quality of the headlights, but its the same module as in my previous C400 where the headlights were thoroughly mediocre. The new multibeam LEDS on the E class are vastly better.

tate16t 12-22-2017 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic (Post 7341415)
Lets get things straight. If your vehicle has the headlights in this pic, it has active curve illumination. Its the small window on the yellow portion of the headlamp if it doesnt work they are simply not activated.

How does one activate it?

When I start my vehicle at night and my lights are in the "Auto" mode, my beam drops down and moves back and forth, and raises back up. Is this an indication that active curve illumination is on?

c4004matic 12-23-2017 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by tate16t (Post 7341504)
How does one activate it?

When I start my vehicle at night and my lights are in the "Auto" mode, my beam drops down and moves back and forth, and raises back up. Is this an indication that active curve illumination is on?

There is no activation setting they are always on!