MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/)
-   -   Tomorrow! (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166/698735-tomorrow.html)

c4004matic 02-15-2018 05:48 PM

Tomorrow!

Picking up our GLS 550 ordered in Nov! It took the slow train from Tuscaloooosa :rolf: Hope its as well put together as my E43, which, cross my fingers, is still flawless.

tate16t 02-15-2018 06:14 PM

It will be! It’s a nice machine! Post pics! :y

JoeMa 02-15-2018 10:31 PM

Nice, post those pics!

c4004matic 02-17-2018 10:45 AM

Just picked it up

:wootrock:
First thing learned: NO, you cant start the car in any dynamic setting, it always reverts to comfort 😣. The start stop however is totally impercetible with the v8. I was surprised at how noticeable the turbos whine is at startup, its the only time its heard. The car seems to simple "waft" over the highway at any speed, 75 mph rolls at 1600 rpms regardless of road inclination. Its frigging quiet and the ride quality is stupendous. In normal driving handling is as agile as any E class, Ill reserve sport handling impressions to when I have I installed the summer rims and tires. Im not expecting it to handle like a 911.....duh. The command system is almost identical to my previous C400. The Harman radio is good, but no Burmester, annoyingly, it does not play flac files. Love the tan/black interior with the natural grain wood, classy, elegant but not boring. The drive pilot and distronic works spectacularly well, particularly at night, when the road markings dont have to fight any reflections.The hadlights are excellent, though its the same system as the C class optional LEDs, the higher position of the lamps offers a better low beam pattern. Finally, for now, its snowing here so Ill get to check how this modern panzer takles the slick styff with Pirelli snow scorpions!
LOVING IT!

GeneralToner 02-17-2018 06:49 PM

Congrats on the new 550!

Once you're through the break-in time and start having fun it's an impressive vehicle. Not sure what options you purchased, we have essentially all but the B&O. I say this as I understand handling may differ based on options. With mine, when you put it in sport and see it lower, the thing will surprise you how quick it is for such a large vehicle. It really is funny (immature yes) but when kids come-up and you can tell going to race off line, put in sport and watch their expression in the rear/side-view mirrors. I'm not sure if it's the surprise of suv moving quickly or the noise as it gets very loud on hard acceleration.

We've driven halfway across the country and this thing is a great cruiser on the highway as well. Still brings a smile to go out and drive it.

Congrats on the new GLS550, you'll find all kinds of things that make it special. Don't forget we're all waiting for pictures!

c4004matic 02-18-2018 09:11 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. As you, I checked every box except the B&O stereo. I concur on the luxury liner impression, it tracks down the highway like a freight train at any speed, simply unfettered by anything around it. I hope to take a drive trip to the north west this year, there are a couple of states I yet have yet visit.