GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

GLS550 OEM TIRE REPLACEMENT QUESTION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
GLS550 OEM TIRE REPLACEMENT QUESTION

Hey guys. I run Pirelli Scorpion Winters Nov-March, but have been using the OEM Continental Crosscontact UHP for the other months.

I was happy with them, but they are toast and need to be replaced. You guys sticking with these or have you tried anything else for great summer performance and serviceable performance for occasional light snow, ice, etc?

Any opinions of these vs Scorpion Zero All Season Plus, Conti DWS, and other high performance "all-seasons" ? I put that in quotes cause none of em are really all season when you live somewhere with a lot of snow...
Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
If all you have is light, rare snow you can simply keep the contis, they are all season. If you get any appreciable snow I would continue to use the pirellis in winter. I live in northern WI, and use the Pirellis, the snow performance is just OK but they are pretty good otherwise. I love the OEM contis and will buy them again when the time comes.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:28 AM

--
Originally Posted by c4004matic
If all you have is light, rare snow you can simply keep the contis, they are all season. If you get any appreciable snow I would continue to use the pirellis in winter. I live in northern WI, and use the Pirellis, the snow performance is just OK but they are pretty good otherwise. I love the OEM contis and will buy them again when the time comes.
thanks for your thoughts. Quick question: which pirellis are you referring to? If the Winters, I agree, I think they are decent in the snow. Some swear by them. They are definitely a huge improvement over the OEM Conti with respect to cold weather/light snow/ice braking, but I haven't really tested them through really adverse conditions.

Guess my question boils down to Conti DWS vs OEM Continental UHP for Spring, Summer, Fall. I had the DWS on an E63 a while back and liked them, but don't have any point of reference for a massive SUV

Last edited by bonboon; 10-07-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Im using the OEM pirelli snows that come with the MB 20 inch rims. I dont remember the model and they are in storage.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
GLS450
Was not happy with wear on Pirellis (shot after 25k miles) so I switched to Michelin’s which come with 60k treadwear warranty and stellar ratings on tire rack. 4 for $1000 out the door at Costco including tax, 1 cent installation, and 5 year road hazard warranty. I will update after I try them in the snow this winter.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 AM

--
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Was not happy with wear on Pirellis (shot after 25k miles) so I switched to Michelin’s which come with 60k treadwear warranty and stellar ratings on tire rack. 4 for $1000 out the door at Costco including tax, 1 cent installation, and 5 year road hazard warranty. I will update after I try them in the snow this winter.
which michelins you go with ?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLS550,. 2016 S550,. 2018 GLE AMG Coupe, 2017 C300 Convertible (traded), 2017 SLC300 (traded),
I put a set of DWS06 on my 17 GLS550 last month and drove from So. Ca. to Houston the next day. Had 25K on original Continental UHP’s and all 4 had worn inner rib down. They had been rotated every 6K miles and rebalanced twice. Had alignment done with new tires ($400 for alignment here in So CA).
Ran through 2 rain storms in Texas, second one a downpour and the car tracked straight and no feeling of hydroplaning. Maintained speed about 55MPH in storm and GLS felt more secure than it did new with UHP’s.
DWS06 were about +$20 over UHP’s at MB dealer here in So. CA. and with preferred customer discount installed price was $395 each. Detect slight noise on rough concrete road, but not objectively loud. Gas mileage hasn’t changed, from El Paso to San Antonio averaged 19.7MPG at 84MPH per trip computer. Can’t Speak to snow performance, but to date am pleased with DWS06’s and they carry a 50K pro-rated tread warranty.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 AM

--
Originally Posted by Armanidog
I put a set of DWS06 on my 17 GLS550 last month and drove from So. Ca. to Houston the next day. Had 25K on original Continental UHP’s and all 4 had worn inner rib down. They had been rotated every 6K miles and rebalanced twice. Had alignment done with new tires ($400 for alignment here in So CA).
Ran through 2 rain storms in Texas, second one a downpour and the car tracked straight and no feeling of hydroplaning. Maintained speed about 55MPH in storm and GLS felt more secure than it did new with UHP’s.
DWS06 were about +$20 over UHP’s at MB dealer here in So. CA. and with preferred customer discount installed price was $395 each. Detect slight noise on rough concrete road, but not objectively loud. Gas mileage hasn’t changed, from El Paso to San Antonio averaged 19.7MPG at 84MPH per trip computer. Can’t Speak to snow performance, but to date am pleased with DWS06’s and they carry a 50K pro-rated tread warranty.
great feedback thank you very much. small follow up for you.
  • any opinion dry traction one vs other? the UHP carry a traction rating of AA vs A on the DWS.
  • note about price difference: conti makes a UHP that they say is specifically for the Benz (they claim it is "all season", while the normal UHP is strictly labeled a summer tire). the benz specific version of the UHP carries the exact same ratings (tread life, traction, and load) as the normal UHP but a price tag of 100 dollars more. so it appears to be no different than the normal UHP, but carries a much higher price tag. so bravo for buying the cheaper one!
Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Im using the OEM pirelli snows that come with the MB 20 inch rims. I dont remember the model and they are in storage.
Just got my winters back on they are scorpion winter too. In my expirience their winter performance is good but not up something like x ice or similar. They are much more livable than severe service snow tires. I like them. They are more than worthy for northen WI severe winters. Again, I have nothing bad to say about the Contis, they are an excellent all around tire which well compliments the GLS550. There may be more sporting tires out there but they probably will not be as comfortable, long lasting or quiet. The fact remains, the 550 is sick fast but not a true sport SUV. Given its seven passenger capacity its probably not surprising.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLS550,. 2016 S550,. 2018 GLE AMG Coupe, 2017 C300 Convertible (traded), 2017 SLC300 (traded),
GLS 550 OEM Tire Replacement

[QUOTE=E3470;7582925]great feedback thank you very much. small follow up for you.
  • any opinion dry traction one vs other? the UHP carry a traction rating of AA vs A on the DWS.
  • note about price difference: conti makes a UHP that they say is specifically for the Benz (they claim it is "all season", while the normal UHP is strictly labeled a summer tire). the benz specific version of the UHP carries the exact same ratings (tread life, traction, and load) as the normal UHP but a price tag of 100 dollars more. so it appears to be no different than the normal UHP, but carries a much higher price tag. so bravo for buying the cheaper one!
[]
Regarding dry pavement performance, I haven’t seen any difference with the DWS vs original UHP’s. I drive in Individual mode most often with suspension and steering in sport and engine in comfort mode and I feel it handles well for a 6K pound SUV.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM

--
[QUOTE=Armanidog;7584095]
Originally Posted by E3470
great feedback thank you very much. small follow up for you.
Regarding dry pavement performance, I haven’t seen any difference with the DWS vs original UHP’s. I drive in Individual mode most often with suspension and steering in sport and engine in comfort mode and I feel it handles well for a 6K pound SUV.
thanks again