GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Dashcam and wireless charger install - tapping power into dash fuse box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLS550
Dashcam and wireless charger install - tapping power into dash fuse box

I would like to install a hard-wired Blackvue dashcam (via Power Magic Pro) and wireless phone charger into my GLS550.

It would be ideal to power everything out of the passenger side dash fuse box. Problem: no switched power at any of the fuses.

I know I could run the wires to the 2nd row fuse box to access switched power, but I'd rather not.

Instead, I was thinking about tapping 12V off the cigarette lighter (next to the front ashtray and cupholder), run a 14G wire around the front passenger footwell, and drop the wire into the dash fuse box.
Then connect the tapped (switched) power wire to the 2 devices. I would use a fuse tap in the fuse box for the constant power input to the Power Magic Pro.

The cigarette lighter has a 15A fuse, so there should not be any issue with power draw.

Has anyone done this?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by senexus
I would like to install a hard-wired Blackvue dashcam (via Power Magic Pro) and wireless phone charger into my GLS550.

It would be ideal to power everything out of the passenger side dash fuse box. Problem: no switched power at any of the fuses.

I know I could run the wires to the 2nd row fuse box to access switched power, but I'd rather not.

Instead, I was thinking about tapping 12V off the cigarette lighter (next to the front ashtray and cupholder), run a 14G wire around the front passenger footwell, and drop the wire into the dash fuse box.
Then connect the tapped (switched) power wire to the 2 devices. I would use a fuse tap in the fuse box for the constant power input to the Power Magic Pro.

The cigarette lighter has a 15A fuse, so there should not be any issue with power draw.

Has anyone done this?
There's another fuse box on the drivers side on the side of the dash when you open the door, but I'm dealing with the same issue on that side too. All fuses stay hot. I'm in a GLC, but I would assume the GLS is pretty much the same. I'm going to take the cover off the center console and tap into the cigarette lighter from there and run the wires under the dash and then up around the windshield. Let me know if you come up with a solution. I just can't believe Mercedes didn't put one switched fuse upfront in two seperate fuse boxes.

Last edited by Ouch1234; 12-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by senexus

Has anyone done this?
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...-glc-x253.html