GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Headlamp question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes GLS 450
Headlamp question

Maybe this is not the right forum, but I’m curious if there is a headlamp database for all the different type of lights and ranking which ones are best. For example, in the Mercedes line up, are the leds the same on the gls vs GLE vs e class vs c class. If they are the same technology then are they the same wattage, lumens etc.
just curious how the gls compares to other models. I see different terms being thrown around like multi beam led, and adaptive leds, and intelligent lighting system, etc.
Also how are the new GLE 2020 leds like?
Old 03-26-2019, 01:18 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by ilumo
Maybe this is not the right forum, but I’m curious if there is a headlamp database for all the different type of lights and ranking which ones are best. For example, in the Mercedes line up, are the leds the same on the gls vs GLE vs e class vs c class. If they are the same technology then are they the same wattage, lumens etc.
just curious how the gls compares to other models. I see different terms being thrown around like multi beam led, and adaptive leds, and intelligent lighting system, etc.
Also how are the new GLE 2020 leds like?
im no MB expert but from driving the cars i'll rank them like this

1) LED lamps, on either vehicle.. GLE, GLS, C, E, and S, same technology, same voltage (im assuming they use same technology across the board)
these are all part of the "intelligent lighting system", meaning they all follow the curve, adjust to the height of the road, and the auto-high beams when its super dark around
mind you im no expert so dont hold me to this
100) Halogens, i know that the GLE, GLS, C offer them, but the E and S have them standard option. I've seen threads all over the place about how people hate the halogens so
i would advise to do your homework on the car to know what package is which BEFORE you purchase

hope this helps
Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes GLS 450
I agree with you 100% on how crappy the halogens. I was bamboozled when I bought my2016 GLE thinking it would come with HIDs. But not only did it not have Leds. It didn’t even have xenon, but only bottom of the barrel halogens. My previous bmw and RR both had them. It was pretty disheartening and I had to wait until now to get a GLS with lighting package. Well good thing I think Mercedes heard and now it’s standard LED on the GLE and probably GLS as well.

This is post was more informational because looking at all the headlamp designs, they all “look” a little different. So I wanted to see if that translated into different performance numbers.

Originally Posted by drwolf
im no MB expert but from driving the cars i'll rank them like this

1) LED lamps, on either vehicle.. GLE, GLS, C, E, and S, same technology, same voltage (im assuming they use same technology across the board)
these are all part of the "intelligent lighting system", meaning they all follow the curve, adjust to the height of the road, and the auto-high beams when its super dark around
mind you im no expert so dont hold me to this
100) Halogens, i know that the GLE, GLS, C offer them, but the E and S have them standard option. I've seen threads all over the place about how people hate the halogens so
i would advise to do your homework on the car to know what package is which BEFORE you purchase

hope this helps
Old 03-26-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by ilumo
I agree with you 100% on how crappy the halogens. I was bamboozled when I bought my2016 GLE thinking it would come with HIDs. But not only did it not have Leds. It didn’t even have xenon, but only bottom of the barrel halogens. My previous bmw and RR both had them. It was pretty disheartening and I had to wait until now to get a GLS with lighting package. Well good thing I think Mercedes heard and now it’s standard LED on the GLE and probably GLS as well.

This is post was more informational because looking at all the headlamp designs, they all “look” a little different. So I wanted to see if that translated into different performance numbers.
on the W167 GLE (2020) model yes i believe the LED are standards, i dont know about the GLS yet.