GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Heads up display retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Heads up display retrofit

Has anyone installed a Mercedes-Benz OEM HUD Heads-Up Display Retrofit Kit on a V167 or X167? Any issues? Looking for source and price.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Why does someone always ask this ridiculous question? Yes you can do it. It will cost 4 times as much money as it came from the factory. Thats without instalation which will cost a ton since you have to replace the entire dash. Furthermore, the windshield has to be replaced, another 2000 dollars. Thus more than 5000 dollars and counting!
Old 02-08-2021, 09:37 AM

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Why does someone always ask this ridiculous question? Yes you can do it. It will cost 4 times as much money as it came from the factory. Thats without instalation which will cost a ton since you have to replace the entire dash. Furthermore, the windshield has to be replaced, another 2000 dollars. Thus more than 5000 dollars and counting!
Thank you for the input, but I am looking for a reliable source for information and supply, not conjecture. In Canada GLS HUD is only available in a package (which includes the gesture control ) which made it unjustifiable for that single option I wanted. I miss the HUD and if I do the work myself and get the parts for a reasonable price the only other cost will be to activate it at the dealer. I have read other threads on MB forums and it has been done successfully. The one poster who has done it on a X167 put the AMG HUD in and had it done in Vietnam and sourced the parts in Europe. The HUD unit itself from other recent models is available for about $700 USD and up. My research so far has indicated I do not need to replace the dash - just a piece of trim. There is a different windshield from MB with HUD, but the regular one still works. I would like to find out more facts on that windshield spec. difference. I will only retrofit if I can get the correct parts etc. for a reasonable price.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
Thank you for the input, but I am looking for a reliable source for information and supply, not conjecture. In Canada GLS HUD is only available in a package (which includes the gesture control ) which made it unjustifiable for that single option I wanted. I miss the HUD and if I do the work myself and get the parts for a reasonable price the only other cost will be to activate it at the dealer. I have read other threads on MB forums and it has been done successfully. The one poster who has done it on a X167 put the AMG HUD in and had it done in Vietnam and sourced the parts in Europe. The HUD unit itself from other recent models is available for about $700 USD and up. My research so far has indicated I do not need to replace the dash - just a piece of trim. There is a different windshield from MB with HUD, but the regular one still works. I would like to find out more facts on that windshield spec. difference. I will only retrofit if I can get the correct parts etc. for a reasonable price.
its more than conjecture its an educated guess. The dash will be easily 2000 dollars plus, the windlshield is 2000 dollars the labor to replace a dash by hand is easily 1 k. Mercedes parts are ridiculously expensive. Thats why I always buy extended warranties once the original warranty is expired.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
To be helpful - bringing this back into perspective - NO this hasn't been done by any member's here - and NO this hasn't been done by anyone I know - and NO this is not a project that I would even consider digging into.

You have cited "may be one guy in Vietnam" and I suggest that is a strong clue ....
The following 3 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
cupecoy (02-23-2021), mercedesmax (02-09-2021), Psymac (02-09-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X167
Was done to lexus IS's really easily and id assume its the same here. They make 1 wiring harness for these cars...think...why tf wouldnt they for ease of manufactuing and options get plugged in or dont. Grab the HuD dash, hud module itself, and plug it in. Only thing maybe missing would be the mbux system needing to be the higher end one.