Pre Owned GLS 580

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW M550i
Question Pre Owned GLS 580

Hi,
I have been looking for a pre owned 2020 GLS 580 and found something within driving distance(for trading in my car).
Wanted your guys' opinion on the pricing. Here are the stats:
Price $107K (original price $119K)
Mileage 12K
Packages: Driver Assistance Plus
Warmth and Comfort Package
Energizing Air balance
Night Package
Acoustic Comfort
E- ACTIVE body control
22" AMG wheels
Off Road package
Sun roof
Heated steering wheel
Heated rear seats
Heads up Display
Gesture control
Augmented navi
Magic vision control

It was an official MB executive demo car.

Any thoughts- is it worth it?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
A lot of dealer GMs used the loaded 450s and 580s with Active body control as their personal cars. After a year (or 12,000) they returned them into the fleet. ABCs were new in 2020

You can get an almost fully loaded 2021 GLS580 in that price range. The real kicker of that car is the E-Active Body Control, which was an $8,000 option for the GLS580. That feature is only worth that money (to me at leas) if you seek to do some serious off roading or for those that need to drive in deep snow. However, that option will also be the first to give you problems in five years and if you don't have a full warranty at that point, it will cost you $$,$$$ to repair. While that vehicle is a CPO, find out when the original factory warranty kicked in, because you will only get a 1 year extension on that original warranty, and you will not be able to buy an extended warranty on a CPO (thats what I think at least).

That car is loaded, except for the Captains chairs, which is the new thing with 2020 and newer SUVs. If you have teenage or older kids or adults passengers for long trips, the Captain chairs is a must.

If your really want the car, start the negotiations with a $5000 discount and be ready to walk out the door if they don't even budge by at least $2,000. That is what I would do.

Good luck and keep us posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paxfobiscum:
wolds (03-05-2021), Yup497 (03-04-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:58 AM

BMW M550i
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
A lot of dealer GMs used the loaded 450s and 580s with Active body control as their personal cars. After a year (or 12,000) they returned them into the fleet. ABCs were new in 2020

You can get an almost fully loaded 2021 GLS580 in that price range. The real kicker of that car is the E-Active Body Control, which was an $8,000 option for the GLS580. That feature is only worth that money (to me at leas) if you seek to do some serious off roading or for those that need to drive in deep snow. However, that option will also be the first to give you problems in five years and if you don't have a full warranty at that point, it will cost you $$,$$$ to repair. While that vehicle is a CPO, find out when the original factory warranty kicked in, because you will only get a 1 year extension on that original warranty, and you will not be able to buy an extended warranty on a CPO (thats what I think at least).

That car is loaded, except for the Captains chairs, which is the new thing with 2020 and newer SUVs. If you have teenage or older kids or adults passengers for long trips, the Captain chairs is a must.

If your really want the car, start the negotiations with a $5000 discount and be ready to walk out the door if they don't even budge by at least $2,000. That is what I would do.

Thank you for the input !
GLS 580 starts at around $98K, you think I will be able to get a nicely loaded one at $107K? Is there that much wiggle room in the new cars?
I usually drive my cars for 3-4 years only(and yes, I don't prefer leasing). That's why I prefer buying slightly used so that I don't take the 'premium hit' of a brand new vehicle. I will inquire about the warranty extension on the CPO- Thanks !!
My wife does not want captain chairs and that works out nice in this car. I really want E-ABC as I have heard so much good stuff about it(I do plan to do a little bit of OFF roading- OHV trails etc)

$2K- $5K is a good guide..Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2021, 12:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
It’s a matter of preference. I wouldn’t get it without E-active . I have most of those options and mine was 124 ish.

You can go online and build one to see what you’d want that you can’t get in the pre-owned and make the cost differential decision there. I doubt you can get any options and come out close. I’m also guessing you’ll also get 100k CPO warranty and that’s worth about 4K I think.

If options are of value to you, I say it’s a good deal.

Also keep in mind production is VERY limited. It would be a long time before you could get one in an order (6 months or more?) and not likely many new ones will show up as they are mostly pre-committed.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 PM

BMW M550i
Originally Posted by cincy8
It’s a matter of preference. I wouldn’t get it without E-active . I have most of those options and mine was 124 ish.

You can go online and build one to see what you’d want that you can’t get in the pre-owned and make the cost differential decision there. I doubt you can get any options and come out close. I’m also guessing you’ll also get 100k CPO warranty and that’s worth about 4K I think.

If options are of value to you, I say it’s a good deal.

Also keep in mind production is VERY limited. It would be a long time before you could get one in an order (6 months or more?) and not likely many new ones will show up as they are mostly pre-committed.
Some good points !
It is a CPO- so atleast it adds another year and UNLIMITED miles to the warranty !
It does have all the options I want. I guess I will see how much I am able to negotiate down(or get for my trade-in)

Thank you !
Old 03-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
!90 E 1984, 300D 1984, 300SD 1986, 300TD 1988, 400SE 1990, 500CL 1995, GL350 2012, GLS580 2020
I purchase an emerald green 2020 GLS 580 with 1200 miles for $104K dealer certified with additional one year unlimited miles. I ordered same color through my local dealer ($104 K), got tired of waiting,
I had to compromise on some options (this car have more options than I ordered) heads up display, panoramic roof, heated rear seat, captain rear seats (which I love now), air freshener system,
rear window shades, heated steering wheel, door panel and hand rest. Interior color is lighter than what we ordered that we also liked
The car was purchased from Arkansas dealer and shipped to California.
This will give you a reference point for you.
Good luck
Old 03-04-2021, 04:17 PM

BMW M550i
Originally Posted by zimirza2003
I purchase an emerald green 2020 GLS 580 with 1200 miles for $104K dealer certified with additional one year unlimited miles. I ordered same color through my local dealer ($104 K), got tired of waiting,
I had to compromise on some options (this car have more options than I ordered) heads up display, panoramic roof, heated rear seat, captain rear seats (which I love now), air freshener system,
rear window shades, heated steering wheel, door panel and hand rest. Interior color is lighter than what we ordered that we also liked
The car was purchased from Arkansas dealer and shipped to California.
This will give you a reference point for you.
Good luck
Thanks...that does give me a good reference point and if I can negotiate it to a little lower price, it might be a good deal.
It does have ALL my 'must haves'(bench seats, HUD , driver assistance plus and E-ABC)
Old 03-04-2021, 06:02 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
I actually know where that car is located.
Good luck and I hope you can get a good deal.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:11 PM

BMW M550i
I actually know where that car is located.
Good luck and I hope you can get a good deal.
Thank you !
Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me try to be helpful..

1. A true MB Executive Car - that was driven under Manufacturer's Plate - is called a "Brass Hat" - since it was driven under Manufacturer's Plate it was never titled - and technically is Sold to you as a "New Car" - with Mercedes Financial a Brass Hat will qualify for any Special New Car Rates - and National Lenders each have their own policy if a Brass Hat qualifies for that lender's New Car Rate or Pre-Owned Car Rates.
NOT all Brass-Hat's are Executive Cars - a Brass Hat can have been a Press/Review Car (under Manuf Plates - Event Car (under Manuf Plates) - or even a Display Car (which has to go in-service at time of display for MB Insurance Purposes, but did not
have Manuf plates). - AND a Brass Hat can also be a MB Training or MB Engineering vehicle.
Please understand a Brass Hat - has the remaining balance of the original 4Yr/50K mile Mercedes New Car Warranty - based on the current miles at time of your purchase - and the original In-Service-Date that the Executive 1st took delivery/drove-away - or
started Press Run - etc.
ANY added/Extended Warranty for a true Brass Hat has to be Extended Mercedes New Car Warranty - and that cost for any added Extended New Car Warranty will be based on the Added-Years and Total Mileage Level you select for that added Warranty.
For the Dealer - depending on the Specific Brass Hat MB - can receive a 7% to 10% discount "off MSRP" - and a brass hat gives them original new car margin at the discounted retail - and qualifies as a New Car Sale when sold.

2. A "Demo" are generally a MB that has either been used at the Dealership under either Dealer Plates or State Plates (most often "retired" local Service Loaners) or less common "driven by.. Owner, Owner's Wife) etc - OR - Demo can be a MB operated by a MBUSA executive/employee (such as a Sales Executive position) or purchased/operated by a MB Executive or immediately family member - where that MB exec/employee has a Special Exec program (super discount) and can "trade" for their next new MB in that program after 6 months in-service.
Demo's by-and-large have been titled - and can be Certified by the Selling Dealer - if Certified gives you free 1Yr Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty on top of the remaining balance of the 4Yr/50K mile new car warranty.
Any additional warranty you choose on top of that free 1Yr will be Extended Unlimited Mileage Warranty - which is based on you choice to add 1 or 2 more yrs - for total 2yrs CPO and total 3yrs CPO warranty respectively.
Depending on model - and/or Service Loaner use - a Dealer will choose to Certify (or not) and price Demo's by-and-large as a aggressive price leadership as compared to the comparable New Car.
Demo's depending on model can qualify for Mercedes Financial Special Rates - and Demo's under 10,000 miles can qualify for Mercedes Lease (which for Lease Customer's can be a Payment "Bargain")

3. A top Mercedes Dealer's (like me) does get Special Opportunities from my "Top" VIP customers with ultra-low mileage/ultra-"fresh" top line MB's. Good to hear from Zia on this thread - a genuine great guy !
In Zia's case - a very well equipped GLS with the Options he wanted to to have - was traded in by one of my Top VIP customer's who trades/changes their MB's with me about 5-6 times a year across about 15 MB's they own across their 3-generation extensive family.
It was good to see a "rare-great-MB" from one of my top customer's go to a solid guy like Zia - and I sincerely appreciate Zia's "trust" on this long distance transaction - and I know for sure he and his wife are very happy !

Hope this helps give "clarity" - in today's Internet World - as a customer you have a "Portal" to search and shop across the entire US if you want - Top Dealer's price their Opportunities to take advantage of the larger Internet Customer Pool, and conduct themselves to a top level of customer communication to handle "long-distance" - although there are many Good-To-Just-OK dealer's that still fumble that ball from their side - some fumble big time - but frankly from me here on the forum as a "member" in no way can I be responsible for your experience with "another MB dealer"
Old 03-07-2021, 06:06 PM

BMW M550i
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Let me try to be helpful..

1. A true MB Executive Car - that was driven under Manufacturer's Plate - is called a "Brass Hat" - since it was driven under Manufacturer's Plate it was never titled - and technically is Sold to you as a "New Car" - with Mercedes Financial a Brass Hat will qualify for any Special New Car Rates - and National Lenders each have their own policy if a Brass Hat qualifies for that lender's New Car Rate or Pre-Owned Car Rates.
NOT all Brass-Hat's are Executive Cars - a Brass Hat can have been a Press/Review Car (under Manuf Plates - Event Car (under Manuf Plates) - or even a Display Car (which has to go in-service at time of display for MB Insurance Purposes, but did not
have Manuf plates). - AND a Brass Hat can also be a MB Training or MB Engineering vehicle.
Please understand a Brass Hat - has the remaining balance of the original 4Yr/50K mile Mercedes New Car Warranty - based on the current miles at time of your purchase - and the original In-Service-Date that the Executive 1st took delivery/drove-away - or
started Press Run - etc.
ANY added/Extended Warranty for a true Brass Hat has to be Extended Mercedes New Car Warranty - and that cost for any added Extended New Car Warranty will be based on the Added-Years and Total Mileage Level you select for that added Warranty.
For the Dealer - depending on the Specific Brass Hat MB - can receive a 7% to 10% discount "off MSRP" - and a brass hat gives them original new car margin at the discounted retail - and qualifies as a New Car Sale when sold.

2. A "Demo" are generally a MB that has either been used at the Dealership under either Dealer Plates or State Plates (most often "retired" local Service Loaners) or less common "driven by.. Owner, Owner's Wife) etc - OR - Demo can be a MB operated by a MBUSA executive/employee (such as a Sales Executive position) or purchased/operated by a MB Executive or immediately family member - where that MB exec/employee has a Special Exec program (super discount) and can "trade" for their next new MB in that program after 6 months in-service.
Demo's by-and-large have been titled - and can be Certified by the Selling Dealer - if Certified gives you free 1Yr Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty on top of the remaining balance of the 4Yr/50K mile new car warranty.
Any additional warranty you choose on top of that free 1Yr will be Extended Unlimited Mileage Warranty - which is based on you choice to add 1 or 2 more yrs - for total 2yrs CPO and total 3yrs CPO warranty respectively.
Depending on model - and/or Service Loaner use - a Dealer will choose to Certify (or not) and price Demo's by-and-large as a aggressive price leadership as compared to the comparable New Car.
Demo's depending on model can qualify for Mercedes Financial Special Rates - and Demo's under 10,000 miles can qualify for Mercedes Lease (which for Lease Customer's can be a Payment "Bargain")

3. A top Mercedes Dealer's (like me) does get Special Opportunities from my "Top" VIP customers with ultra-low mileage/ultra-"fresh" top line MB's. Good to hear from Zia on this thread - a genuine great guy !
In Zia's case - a very well equipped GLS with the Options he wanted to to have - was traded in by one of my Top VIP customer's who trades/changes their MB's with me about 5-6 times a year across about 15 MB's they own across their 3-generation extensive family.
It was good to see a "rare-great-MB" from one of my top customer's go to a solid guy like Zia - and I sincerely appreciate Zia's "trust" on this long distance transaction - and I know for sure he and his wife are very happy !

Hope this helps give "clarity" - in today's Internet World - as a customer you have a "Portal" to search and shop across the entire US if you want - Top Dealer's price their Opportunities to take advantage of the larger Internet Customer Pool, and conduct themselves to a top level of customer communication to handle "long-distance" - although there are many Good-To-Just-OK dealer's that still fumble that ball from their side - some fumble big time - but frankly from me here on the forum as a "member" in no way can I be responsible for your experience with "another MB dealer"
Thank you for all that info. Never knew any of that !
Old 03-07-2021, 06:57 PM

Did you purchase it?
I don't see it in the dealer site anymore.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
I guess the car can be from owners husband too!

I want to be one of your customers that upgrades every few thousand miles. Too many kids.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 PM

BMW M550i
Did you purchase it?
I don't see it in the dealer site anymore.
No, I haven't even had the time to see it yet
Old 03-07-2021, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580

I have to disagree on the E active control, its in fact the best feature of the vehicle. If you haven't driven this rig on a curvy road with the system on Curve Mode you don't know what you are missing. Better yet it doesn't affect vehicle comfort at all. Furthermore in comfort, it drives as if its hovering over the road thus significantly more smooth than the regular suspension, no bobbing at all. Trust me the E active suspension is what makes the GLS the most compelling luxury SUV in the market, its the secret sauce. AMG handling with superb comfort, it even pulls over 0.92 g!
Old 03-08-2021, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by gs82
Some good points !
It is a CPO- so atleast it adds another year and UNLIMITED miles to the warranty !
It does have all the options I want. I guess I will see how much I am able to negotiate down(or get for my trade-in)

Thank you !
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I have to disagree on the E active control, its in fact the best feature of the vehicle. If you haven't driven this rig on a curvy road with the system on Curve Mode you don't know what you are missing. Better yet it doesn't affect vehicle comfort at all. Furthermore in comfort, it drives as if its hovering over the road thus significantly more smooth than the regular suspension, no bobbing at all. Trust me the E active suspension is what makes the GLS the most compelling luxury SUV in the market, its the secret sauce. AMG handling with superb comfort, it even pulls over 0.92 g!

Well of course it does, because you are paying $8,000 for it. The question is a few years down the road when all your warranties are gone. It will cost you twice more to repair. Before I traded in my W210, I had to change a front shock because I was bouncing all over the road and the kids were getting dizzy. No big deal really so I just brought it to my favorite indy. I was charged $2K. The EABC is not for everyone.

Last edited by Paxfobiscum; 03-08-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:39 AM

BMW M550i
Well of course it does, because you are paying $8,000 for it. The question is a few years down the road when all your warranties are gone. It will cost you twice more to repair. Before I traded in my W210, I had to change a front shock because I was bouncing all over the road and the kids were getting dizzy. No big deal really so I just brought it to my favorite indy. I was charged $2K. The EABC is not for everyone.
I agree !
I don't plan to keep it after my warranty expires.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
If you have to ask...you cant afford it! A well equipped 580 is a 120k dollar car. In that scheme 2000 bucks is more than expected. Compare that to Porsches high performance rotors, a complete rotor and pad job for a Panamera is 20k dollars! Basicly more than what the car will be worth at the milage that is likely to occur....If you're worried about maintenance costs in these cars you should look at less expensive brands or models. BTW all GLS now have air suspensions thus thus they will all be very expensive to repair.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:24 PM

If you have to ask...you cant afford it! A well equipped 580 is a 120k dollar car. In that scheme 2000 bucks is more than expected. Compare that to Porsches high performance rotors, a complete rotor and pad job for a Panamera is 20k dollars! Basicly more than what the car will be worth at the milage that is likely to occur....If you're worried about maintenance costs in these cars you should look at less expensive brands or models. BTW all GLS now have air suspensions thus thus they will all be very expensive to repair.
Its not a matter of affordability, its a matter of choice and putting my money where I want to put it.
And I would rather spend $10,000 like I do every year to bring my family to Switzerland and Italy for a vacation than put $8,000 in a vehicle option that I do not want nor appreciate.
You don't know anything about me nor about what I can "afford".
Old 03-10-2021, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Its not a matter of affordability, its a matter of choice and putting my money where I want to put it.
And I would rather spend $10,000 like I do every year to bring my family to Switzerland and Italy for a vacation than put $8,000 in a vehicle option that I do not want nor appreciate.
Ergo you should be looking at a cheaper car!
If the cost and maintenance of a vehicle are going to cut into other priorities you cant "afford it". A luxury car is a not an investment its a "merry expenditure". A KIA Telluride will provide 90% + of what a 580 will and 98% of what a 450 will! If your not making more than 1m you should not be spending this type of money on a car. Its an old home acounting "rule" the price of a car should not be more than 15% of your gross income
Old 03-10-2021, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,218 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Ergo you should be looking at a cheaper car!
If the cost and maintenance of a vehicle are going to cut into other priorities you cant "afford it". A luxury car is a not an investment its a "merry expenditure". A KIA Telluride will provide 90% + of what a 580 will and 98% of what a 450 will! If your not making more than 1m you should not be spending this type of money on a car. Its an old home acounting "rule" the price of a car should not be more than 15% of your gross income
Please tell us how much money you make so we can make silly judgemental comments about you, too.

Then there's your taste in automobiles, which speaks more than your insipid post.
Sounds like "new money" posting.
The following users liked this post:
Paxfobiscum (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by mikapen
Please tell us how much money you make so we can make silly judgemental comments about you, too.

Then there's your taste in automobiles, which speaks more than your insipid post.
Sounds like "new money" posting.
Not judging, its sound financial advice. Not going to divulge income but credit score is almost 900.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL450
I've thought a lot about E-ABC and although I haven't test driven, most reviewers have said it gives relatively little benefit and some have said it makes it worse. Also, given that I'm in Florida, not many twisty curvy mountain roads so of little benefit.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 550
I have one I traded to my local dealer here when I got my C63. Great car. Midlothian va.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Psymac
I've thought a lot about E-ABC and although I haven't test driven, most reviewers have said it gives relatively little benefit and some have said it makes it worse. Also, given that I'm in Florida, not many twisty curvy mountain roads so of little benefit.
now a days some drives a car 15 minutes makes a video and call it a review... Trust me there are other full size SUVs that ride as well as the regular air suspension GLS. Even tge new Escalade is not a landyatch anymore with its hybrid air/magnetic setup nevermind BMWs air setup. The big advantage is the Eactive setup which no other manufacturer has. Superb comfort (magic ride) incomparable handling prowess and amazing offroad capability, all tied in a bow! Heck after a couple of long drives in tge rear seat was daughter was complaining that my E43 was too uncomfortable🤣

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pre Owned GLS 580