MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Kill Stories (https://mbworld.org/forums/kill-stories-54/)
-   -   SL65 vs.SVT Cobra Kill (https://mbworld.org/forums/kill-stories/120850-sl65-vs-svt-cobra-kill.html)

DBERRY7578 09-20-2005 11:12 PM

SL65 vs.SVT Cobra Kill

I just got a black SL65 on Friday. I traded up from the SL55. I took a little road trip to Miami, and ran into a SVT Cobra. We were cruising at 80, and the cobra got side by side daring me to make a move. I floored it and we took off. The cobra kept up pretty well at first. I then removed the ESP, and we took off again on I-95, and a rather slow death occurred for the old cobra. I looked back and slowed down after I was about 12 car links ahead and we were entering traffic again. I gotta say that I was impressed by the speed of the cobra. After we started to cruise the guy drove up and looked at the V12biturbo badge and said Nice Car. Whats up with the Cobras?

newton22 09-20-2005 11:21 PM

If its a newer cobra (2003+ I think), then they have a blown 390 hp with the car weighing around 3500 lbs which is why it wasn't slaughtered.

But you definately killed it. :y

DBERRY7578 09-20-2005 11:23 PM

It looked very new, I just thought that I should have shot away like a jet.

DBERRY7578 09-20-2005 11:39 PM

What are the must get mods from Renntech for the 65

newton22 09-20-2005 11:47 PM

:rolf:

It's alright man, you killed it. But if you must ask, I think there are some mods that kick it into the 700hp range. :naughty:

DBERRY7578 09-20-2005 11:57 PM

Thats kool. I had already planned on getting the standard $6800.00 package from renntech, but I am kind of new to the game.

CE750 09-21-2005 12:06 AM

my bro-in-law has a Renntech SL65 and it's makes a difference... but not a world of difference. Eitherway, you should have cleaned that guys clock.. I wonder if you would have done better if you had ESP off after you got moving.. it may limit the wheels since the car has SO MUCH torque.

FThornton666 09-21-2005 12:06 AM

I think a ECU rework will net you some huge gains. I dont know about Turbo mercs, but most turbo cars a turbo back exhaust works wonders. :)

DBERRY7578 09-21-2005 12:08 AM

I think that I am going to drop by Renntech tomorrow. It's within 20 minutes of my house.

Jakpro1 09-21-2005 12:11 AM

Really not a whole lot in the way of engine mods for the already god of hellfire 65.....the ECU mod already adds monster torque and hp.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BEN TREYNOR ECU MOD from Renntech....they custom made it for Trey from what I heard. Could be wrong....ask um.

DBERRY7578 09-21-2005 12:12 AM

Will do.

IdriveFast 09-21-2005 12:48 AM

03+ cobras are very fast. nice kill

do you know if he was modded?

DBERRY7578 09-21-2005 06:23 AM

Not sure. They are so cheap to modify, that I'm convinced that most are.

blackbenzz 09-21-2005 09:12 AM

Where's dgussin? I thought for sure he wouldve posted by now.

zumbalak 09-21-2005 12:40 PM

Wow excellent kill.

180K car vs 30K cobra.

600+hp vs 400hp (or maybe even less depending on the model year).

What a great kill accomplishment, props to you man. Awesome. :y

Erik 09-21-2005 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by DBERRY7578
and ran into a SVT Cobra. We were cruising at 80, and the cobra got side by side daring me to make a move. I floored it and we took off. The cobra kept up pretty well at first. I then removed the ESP, and we took off again on I-95, and a rather slow death occurred for the old cobra.

Not trying to be funny, but why did you shut off ESP. The traction on the SL65 cant be so bad that it need traction controll at 80 mph on a dry surface?
So I cant see why that should matter at all.

BTW Congrats on a nice car :y

Dead Ringer 09-21-2005 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by zumbalak
Wow excellent kill.

180K car vs 30K cobra.

600+hp vs 400hp (or maybe even less depending on the model year).

What a great kill accomplishment, props to you man. Awesome. :y

why so negative?? It sounds like the cobra was the one that started it, what is he suppose to do... "WOW you have a Cobra, well my car is worth 150K more than yours and I have more hp, so I am not gonna race you..." ???

Great kill, the cobra was probably modded which is why you didnt waste it.. you can never know who has done what to any car. I have seen Pintos run 9's in the quarter mile....

DBERRY7578 09-21-2005 10:23 PM

It was all in fun. I dont believe that any of us buy these high speed vehicles to cruise around at 50 mph. As long as others are not put in harms way, I don't care about testing the limits of my car. : :zoom:
I guess I shut off the ESP in hopes that it will make me move a little faster. Maybe the gap was created based on the higher speeds that we were driving. I only owned the SL55 for three months and traded up, and I am trying to learn this car. I went from owning SUV's to a SL55 and now the SL65. Just having a little fun. :zoom:

BenzoAMGpower 09-22-2005 12:56 AM

cobras have almost limitless mods... from bolt ons to increase boost to supercharger swaps!!! They can be scary fast......... but V12TT is king...must bow down!!! great kill!!! RENNTech is definatley teh way to go!!

Lexani 09-22-2005 11:17 AM

Modded Fixed Or Repair Daily (FORD), a 11-sec SL65 should effortlessly destroy a 13-sec Cobra.

Vomit 09-22-2005 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lexani
Modded Fixed Or Repair Daily (FORD), a 11-sec SL65 should effortlessly destroy a 13-sec Cobra.

The SL65 is really a high 11 or low 12 second car (stock, of course). The S/C Cobra is a high 12 or low 13 second car. In other words, about 1 second of diff in the quarter. It sounds to me like the outcome of this race was entirely consistent with the published performance figures for these two cars. A car with a 1 second 1/4 mile advantage will pull slowly and steadily in a freeway race, which is exactly what happened. I am sure that the race would have been a little different if it had started from 130 MPH or so. :naughty:

As for the respectability of the kill, we are not talking about a 6cyl Mustang rent-a-car here. The Cobra is a respectable performer and, while the SL obviously costs boatloads more, a good race is a good race. If all that we are supposed to do is race vehicles which have a similar cost to ours, then I guess that I will have to give up racing sportbikes with my C32 :rolleyes:. I mean, really now, what are we supposed to do, pull up to a guy at a stoplight and ask him for the current Kelley Bluebook on his car?

I can just see it now:

"Sir, before we race, I need to know how many miles are on your car. Also, let me take a look at the interior and do a compression test on your engine. (After doing all of the above) Sorry, we cannot race. Your early 1990's Porsche only retails at $XXXXXX, which is more than a 10% variance from the value of my steed."

Is this really what we want?

M1M2M3 09-22-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vomit
The SL65 is really a high 11 or low 12 second car (stock, of course). The S/C Cobra is a high 12 or low 13 second car. In other words, about 1 second of diff in the quarter. It sounds to me like the outcome of this race was entirely consistent with the published performance figures for these two cars. A car with a 1 second 1/4 mile advantage will pull slowly and steadily in a freeway race, which is exactly what happened. I am sure that the race would have been a little different if it had started from 130 MPH or so. :naughty:

As for the respectability of the kill, we are not talking about a 6cyl Mustang rent-a-car here. The Cobra is a respectable performer and, while the SL obviously costs boatloads more, a good race is a good race. If all that we are supposed to do is race vehicles which have a similar cost to ours, then I guess that I will have to give up racing sportbikes with my C32 :rolleyes:. I mean, really now, what are we supposed to do, pull up to a guy at a stoplight and ask him for the current Kelley Bluebook on his car?

I can just see it now:

"Sir, before we race, I need to know how many miles are on your car. Also, let me take a look at the interior and do a compression test on your engine. (After doing all of the above) Sorry, we cannot race. Your early 1990's Porsche only retails at $XXXXXX, which is more than a 10% variance from the value of my steed."

Is this really what we want?

Good point I race anything that is raceworthy. Even if it is a civic I will Kill him just so he respects AMG in the future. :v If someone pulls up next to me and gives me the the go I have to show him what my car is made of.

lowphat 09-22-2005 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by M1M2M3
Good point I race anything that is raceworthy. Even if it is a civic I will Kill him just so he respects AMG in the future. :v If someone pulls up next to me and gives me the the go I have to show him what my car is made of.

:word:

rammbs 09-22-2005 02:33 PM

hmm, i read the same story on the stang forums. and it's the other way around. LOL j/k

congrats on a good kill ! :y

03miamisnake 09-22-2005 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lexani

Just for informational purposes:

1. All of the 65 series MBs (stock) are high 11 seconds at best (more commonly low 12).

2. A stock 03-04 Cobra has run as low as 12.5-12.6 (more commonly high 12s).

3. There are very few completely stock 03-04 Cobras out there.

4. What is typically referred to as CPIE (Chip, Pulley, Intake, Exhaust) 03-04s put anywhere from 450-485 to the ground (535-575 flywheel). This can cost as little as $1000 in parts.

5. With a ported blower ($300-$600), they can put down as much as 530hp.

6. There are plenty of 03-04s well into the 10s with <$5k in mods.

7. Over the years I have owned a 1996 Mustang GT, a 1998 Cobra and a 2003 Cobra (modded as described @ #4 above), and have never had one mechanical issue with any of them.

I am in no way trying to compare a Cobra to an SL65, or saying that the results of the race should have been different, but I just thought the comment that I quoted was likely made without much 1st hand experience.

Now I will just get back into my 18 second C230 :wall: and be on my way.