Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

clk55 v. suzuki gsxr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
clk55 v. suzuki gsxr

i was driving south on the 605 this evening, i see two bikes in the carpool lane and i pull closer to see if they wanna play
they didnt.....
i pull away, going 85-90 (making progress), i get stuck behind some traffic and i see 1 of the bikes closing in fast.... he passes me.
i work my way around the cars and pull up next to him (about 80-85), i look over at him and he looks at me, i grin (the type where u know ur going to get ur *** kicked but wanna **** around anywayz, kinda like this ). i downshift into 3rd and let him know im ready, we managed to floor it at about the same time. i take 3/4 carlength lead, im slowly pulling away, at 105-110 im about 1 car ahead. all of a sudden the bikes starts pulling (i guess he hit top of the rev range in whatever gear he was in) he pulls up to about 1/4 length behind me and then he had to shift, he dropped back to about 1/2 length and i began pulling again very slowly until i backed off at 130-135 (maybe more, wasnt looking). we pulled of at the same exit and he pulled beside me, i looked over and gave him , he did the same and nodded his head a couple of times while looking over my car.

im not sure what gsxr it was, im guessing an older 600

btw,
this was a straight drag race w/o any interference from traffic or anything/one else. we were lucky enough to have a clear stretch of road

Last edited by AMG_55; 02-13-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Nice kill! I love racing bikes. Even if they pull away, they inevitably have the "what the hell is that thing?" look afterwards. Yup, you probably raced something in the 600-700 cc class, and it was probably not the newest model. Anyways, sounds like a great race.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
nice kill
i would deffinately say this was a 600 or lower, i have found that in most cases at that size our cars are as fast or faster

i once lined up with a ducati don't know which one 999 or something, knew i didn't stand a chance but thought what the hell so when the lights changed and he went for it so did i, by the time i'd managed to get some traction he'd pretty much gone so i gave up

i've now stopped bothering with bikes due to the mixed reactions i have gotten,sometimes they're ok but a few times they have taken offence. some of them seem to be of the oppinion that all bikes are faster than cars and to prove this wrong is somehow going against the laws of nature.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I keep hearing these stories.....bikes must be easier from a roll huh?

I posted last summer about an older Honda CBR 600....pulled him slowly from a roll too. He was stunned and he was going for it too....heard it screaming.

I guess all the 10 sec quarter times come off the line?

Course we are not talking Hayabusas or anything, but I thought most bullets were like you said, "prepare to get your a$$ kicked"
Old 02-13-2006, 01:43 PM

cars vs. bikes... I have a Suzuki RF600R... and i can tell you from expierience that a bike that does 1/4 mile in 10.1 seconds and top speed of 161 with a 0-60 at 3.4 seconds... probably has the numbers to "out accelerate" many cars.

Granted, most "weekend" riders don't know how to properly run their bikes or are too afraid. Most my friends hesitate to rap their bikes to redline rpm's, and shift prematurly, or don't downshift nearly far enough... Many people are afraid to drop from 6th gear to 2nd gear on the freeway... hence why many guys get their @$$ kicked by fast cars.

I admit have had my @$$ smoked by a carrerra S4, and several times by other vehicles, most of which could be taken on a second run... Except that damn Carrerra, i honestly hold no chance no matter how many times i tried.

Keep in mind that lower speed accelerations are simular between a 600 and 900, its the top speed torque the 600's lack, hence the 900's are much faster after 100mph. ITS ALL DRIVER vs. DRIVER in the end.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Exclamation Justin's right...

Originally Posted by Justinius7
cars vs. bikes... I have a Suzuki RF600R... and i can tell you from expierience that a bike that does 1/4 mile in 10.1 seconds and top speed of 161 with a 0-60 at 3.4 seconds... probably has the numbers to "out accelerate" many cars.

Granted, most "weekend" riders don't know how to properly run their bikes or are too afraid. Most my friends hesitate to rap their bikes to redline rpm's, and shift prematurly, or don't downshift nearly far enough... Many people are afraid to drop from 6th gear to 2nd gear on the freeway... hence why many guys get their @$$ kicked by fast cars.

I admit have had my @$$ smoked by a carrerra S4, and several times by other vehicles, most of which could be taken on a second run... Except that damn Carrerra, i honestly hold no chance no matter how many times i tried.

Keep in mind that lower speed accelerations are simular between a 600 and 900, its the top speed torque the 600's lack, hence the 900's are much faster after 100mph. ITS ALL DRIVER vs. DRIVER in the end.

the truth of the matter is that any GSX-R, short of one running on two cylinders can easily take a CLK55 (I have an 03 CLK55, btw). As Justin remarked, the rider just didn't utilize his performance advantage properly. I've found that since bikes are sooo fast (I've owned 8 sport bikes of various makes), most riders are way over confident and underestimate cars. Chances are the guy roled on the throttle from top gear when he should have dropped down to second. Even dropping down to third would have been more than enough...

For the record, I saw that no where in your post did you claim that you truly beat the guy, and I'm just echoing what Justin said...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
You definatelly came across a 600 good kill thou.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:43 PM

01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
Originally Posted by AMG_55
i was driving south on the 605 this evening, i see two bikes in the carpool lane and i pull closer to see if they wanna play
they didnt.....
i pull away, going 85-90 (making progress), i get stuck behind some traffic and i see 1 of the bikes closing in fast.... he passes me.
i work my way around the cars and pull up next to him (about 80-85), i look over at him and he looks at me, i grin (the type where u know ur going to get ur *** kicked but wanna **** around anywayz, kinda like this ). i downshift into 3rd and let him know im ready, we managed to floor it at about the same time. i take 3/4 carlength lead, im slowly pulling away, at 105-110 im about 1 car ahead. all of a sudden the bikes starts pulling (i guess he hit top of the rev range in whatever gear he was in) he pulls up to about 1/4 length behind me and then he had to shift, he dropped back to about 1/2 length and i began pulling again very slowly until i backed off at 130-135 (maybe more, wasnt looking). we pulled of at the same exit and he pulled beside me, i looked over and gave him , he did the same and nodded his head a couple of times while looking over my car.

im not sure what gsxr it was, im guessing an older 600

btw,
this was a straight drag race w/o any interference from traffic or anything/one else. we were lucky enough to have a clear stretch of road
Good Kill...Definitely a 600, anything larger and the outcome might have been different...
Old 02-13-2006, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 173 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Was with my friend in his modded 512TR. Doing about 120 when a black customized Yamaha street bike pulls up beside us. We slow down to about 80-90 mph and the rider does the same. I (in the passenger seat) give the guy a complimentary salute. He returns it, and takes off, putting the bike up in a wheelie. We easily stay with him and after maybe 10 seconds, his back tire begins to wobble. Luckily, he regained control and took the next exit...probably scared ****less from the nearly losing control on two wheels at over 100 mph. I was glad he regained control...would've been bad if God forbid he didn't.

HLG
Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 173 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
I forgot to add, good kill.

HLG
Old 02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
Chances are the guy roled on the throttle from top gear when he should have dropped down to second. Even dropping down to third would have been more than enough...

For the record, I saw that no where in your post did you claim that you truly beat the guy, and I'm just echoing what Justin said...

Best regards,
Matt

i said that i heard the engine in the top of the rpm range and he started to pull slowly until he had to shift, u cant b in 6th at 115 or so in the top of the rev range AND THEN shift to 7th (i know there is no 7th) u get the point

what does this mean?
"he dropped back to about 1/2 length and i began pulling again very slowly until i backed off at 130-135 "

every1 else thanks for the compliments, it was a clean friendly race and very satisfying
Old 02-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

With an older 600, why not. The rider factor comes into play.

I would not get used to it though. The amount of power that gets put into bikes is fairly surreal these days. Usually the question is "is that car downshift worthy"? Most are not.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:35 PM

Even with the older 600's they are still running 100+ horsepower, and typically weigh between 4 and 5 hundred pounds. Add a 175 pound rider some full tank of fuel (25 pounds). SO hp to pound ratio: 1/2 hp per pound... compared to 1/10 hp per pound on most cars.

even with the older bikes, still hard to beat. Its all about the rider!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes C320 Sport Sedan, Lexus Rx300, Dodge 2500 Cummins
"im not sure what gsxr it was, im guessing an older 600"

i can promise you even if it was a gsxr 600 it would have still outran you, an 04 600 runs a 10.78 in the 1/4 stock

not callin bs or anything but it was prolly like you said older 600 or lower
Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 PM

2006 C230 SS
nice kill...

i was driving home around 6 am from a LOOOONG night... i happened to be in my rav4, bc the area i was goin wasn't a good one, so i was too scared to take the benz... while on the highway i met this biker... like an idiot, i look at my passenger and im like lets "take" him... haha, we knew it would be a rape, after all its a rav4... so i floor it, and do one of those pass bys... well then u hear 1 down****, then another... then this guy goes zoooooooooooooooooming by ... i was like ... so then i catch up and stuff, and we just keep messin around... we end up takin the same exit, we fool around some more... then finally when i had to go straight and he had to go right... he downshifts, then pops a wheelie and just zooooms again... so cool... i def want a bike, but then again i bet id kill myself driving extremely fast or being stupid...

-- Rinil
Old 02-14-2006, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by moc320
"im not sure what gsxr it was, im guessing an older 600"

i can promise you even if it was a gsxr 600 it would have still outran you, an 04 600 runs a 10.78 in the 1/4 stock

not callin bs or anything but it was prolly like you said older 600 or lower
my gf rides a 05 r6, i know how fast bikes r.
but after 120 plus they slow down considerably, my car has almost 5 times more torque, its not all about hp.
i raced a few other bikes and after 130 i stayed with them, or they pulled very slowly.

what other gsxr did they make?
i know 600, 750 and 1000, any other 1s?
i know it wasnt a 250 for sure
Old 02-15-2006, 04:24 AM

my gf rides a 05 r6, i know how fast bikes r.
but after 120 plus they slow down considerably, my car has almost 5 times more torque, its not all about hp.
i raced a few other bikes and after 130 i stayed with them, or they pulled very slowly.

what other gsxr did they make?
i know 600, 750 and 1000, any other 1s?
i know it wasnt a 250 for sure
GSXR-1300 aka Hayabusa.

Nothing more pure than 200 mph+ on a motorcycle!
Old 02-15-2006, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by lexlyf
GSXR-1300 aka Hayabusa.

Nothing more pure than 200 mph+ on a motorcycle!

i meant ones that have the blue/white/red paint.
the busa is sick, busa w/ a turbo
Old 02-15-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Best line I have heard was the guy who had the 1000hp+ Viper.

"We got bored killing cars....now we just go out and hunt bullet bikes"
Old 02-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Audi S2, 964 C2, ZX-10r
Blue/white & red...sounds like an old FZR 600 to me (could of been the 1000 but it would have been quicker!)

Before I got my ZX-10R I remember playing with a K1 GsxR1000, I was in my old 92 911 nearly sideways off a roundabout onto the bypass redding it in 3rd, then 4th and wondered where the bike was?! He was next to me in my blind spot almost vertical up until about 130mph, he dropped it,wound it up another gear and he was gone...I pulled up along side him when I got to a red light at the end of the by-pass, we both looked at each other, nodded and pulled off slowly as if nothing had ever happened! A great moment of madness for the both us and one which inspired me to get back into bikes again!! Get a test ride on one of todays 1000's and i gaurantee you'll be hooked!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:34 AM

03 CLK55
Arrow Actually, THIS is what you said...

i said that i heard the engine in the top of the rpm range and he started to pull slowly until he had to shift, u cant b in 6th at 115 or so in the top of the rev range AND THEN shift to 7th (i know there is no 7th) u get the point

what does this mean?
"he dropped back to about 1/2 length and i began pulling again very slowly until i backed off at 130-135 "

every1 else thanks for the compliments, it was a clean friendly race and very satisfying

"all of a sudden the bikes starts pulling (i guess he hit top of the rev range in whatever gear he was in)"

I got the impression that you assumed that he was at the top end of his powerband due to the fact that he started pulling away. No where did you state that you heard his engine. I'm not trying to belabor the point, as I'm just clarifying the logic behind my post.

It is true that the acceleration curve of a typical 600cc sportbike does taper off once you're beyong a certain speed, but that really doesn't occur till about 140 mph. At the speed that the race began, the bike was near it's peak accelerating capabilities (Below that traction and wheelying are the limiting factor)

Again, I'm not doubting your story. I'm just stating the likely reasons as to why the race occured the way it did. That's all. The race started at around 80-85 mph, and any properly ridden GSX-R would annihalate a stock CLK55 from that speed. There has to be a reason as to how you got ahead of him, and why he was barely able to get past you...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Darren M
Get a test ride on one of todays 1000's and i gaurantee you'll be hooked!
Well, actually if they never have ridden a bike before, they'll end up hurting themselves.

The cool thing about bikes is that for 12k$ you can smoke just about anything.

There is a side note though, it takes a lot more than writing a check to actually use a bike.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Honduh_guy
Well, actually if they never have ridden a bike before, they'll end up hurting themselves.............There is a side note though, it takes a lot more than writing a check to actually use a bike.
This is oh so true. You don't have to be crazy, but there is a particular level of confidence, skill & experience required to successfully utilize the power of a motorcycle in an enthusiast/performance setting, let alone one that is turbocharged. Everything happens a much more accelerated pace & you have that much less reaction time in comparison to navigating a car. Most importantly, you have to get use to assuming that (1) other drivers don't "see" you and (2) any mishap @ high speeds can pretty much result in a permanent injury or death. Luckily (knocking on wood) I have never personally experienced or been involved in a motorcycle accident. Oh ya', how could I forget #3? I don't care how "hard" you think you are, at some point, you'll find yourself singing/rappin'/whatever in your helmet while ridding! It's not like someone will be able to hear you in order to critique.

I actually rode my turbo Hayabusa back from Ohio to Maryland & although my back was killin' me, I probably had one of the best times in my life. I couldn't even crack the throttle 25% before the bike wanted to wheelie itself in first through third and I am no lightweight by any stretch of the imaginaiton.

Last edited by lexlyf; 02-15-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
"all of a sudden the bikes starts pulling (i guess he hit top of the rev range in whatever gear he was in)"

I got the impression that you assumed that he was at the top end of his powerband due to the fact that he started pulling away. No where did you state that you heard his engine. I'm not trying to belabor the point, as I'm just clarifying the logic behind my post.

It is true that the acceleration curve of a typical 600cc sportbike does taper off once you're beyong a certain speed, but that really doesn't occur till about 140 mph. At the speed that the race began, the bike was near it's peak accelerating capabilities (Below that traction and wheelying are the limiting factor)

Again, I'm not doubting your story. I'm just stating the likely reasons as to why the race occured the way it did. That's all. The race started at around 80-85 mph, and any properly ridden GSX-R would annihalate a stock CLK55 from that speed. There has to be a reason as to how you got ahead of him, and why he was barely able to get past you...

Best regards,
Matt

the bike never passed me, i dunno where u got that from
Old 02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Darren M
Get a test ride on one of todays 1000's and i gaurantee you'll be hooked!

i really want a bike, but i know for sure that i wont be able to control myself and end up hurting myself or some1 else, when i get a little older oll get a ducati monster s4 w/ a turbo or s/c ofcourse