MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Kill Stories (https://mbworld.org/forums/kill-stories-54/)
-   -   90-02 SL 500 vs prowler (https://mbworld.org/forums/kill-stories/154733-90-02-sl-500-vs-prowler.html)

Xpeed 07-09-2006 05:14 AM

90-02 SL 500 vs prowler

This took place on foothill blv. I was stopped at a red light and there was a black 90-02 black SL 500 in the other lain. It was dark and poor streetlight so couldn’t make out what year it was. When the light turned green the guy in the SL punched it and took off, so I went after him. We came to a red light and I was behind him because there was another car in the other lain. He took off fast and I gave it all I had and was on his tail. He slowed down and I got next to him and we went at it again and we were both going around 40 mph when we started, we were even at first and he started to very slowly pull on me. I was wandering if the guy I raced is on this forum. Every time I tried to pull up next to him to talk to him he thought I was racing and punched it. What I wanted to know if his car was modified. I raced my cousins 03 SL 500 and we were dead even from 0-60.

I also wanted to say that he was alone and I had a passenger in my car. I think I would have done better from 0-60 because my top end power sucks, and I have driven many different mbs to know not to mess with them from a roll on start.

Vomit 07-09-2006 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Xpeed
This took place on foothill blv. I was stopped at a red light and there was a black 90-02 black SL 500 in the other lain. It was dark and poor streetlight so couldn’t make out what year it was. When the light turned green the guy in the SL punched it and took off, so I went after him. We came to a red light and I was behind him because there was another car in the other lain. He took off fast and I gave it all I had and was on his tail. He slowed down and I got next to him and we went at it again and we were both going around 40 mph when we started, we were even at first and he started to very slowly pull on me. I was wandering if the guy I raced is on this forum. Every time I tried to pull up next to him to talk to him he thought I was racing and punched it. What I wanted to know if his car was modified. I raced my cousins 03 SL 500 and we were dead even from 0-60.

I also wanted to say that he was alone and I had a passenger in my car. I think I would have done better from 0-60 because my top end power sucks, and I have driven many different mbs to know not to mess with them from a roll on start.

Even though most of them that I have seen had two very intimate men inside, I love Prowlers. What color?

Xpeed 07-10-2006 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vomit
Even though most of them that I have seen had two very intimate men inside, I love Prowlers. What color?

No I am not gay, and my car is midnight blue. I was hopping the driver of the SL would be on this forum. I am dying to know what mods he had.

Vomit 07-10-2006 12:28 PM

No I am not gay, and my car is midnight blue. I was hopping the driver of the SL would be on this forum. I am dying to know what mods he had.

I did not mean to imply that you were "man seeking man," although it kind of sounded like I was. In any case, I would happily park one in my garage, so the fact that Prowlers tend to be a trade-up for male Miata or Cabrio owners is irrelevant.

I dont think I have ever seen a midnight blue one. Lots of yellow, which I really liked the first couple of times when I saw, then it kinda got old.

What are the performance mod options for the Prowler? I know that the later ones had considerably more HP than the first ones.

Probably unlikely that the SL owner is on this board. Probably had basic intake and exhaust work, if anything. Or maybe he just had a ringer. The weight also hurt you, I am sure.

GMBALL 07-10-2006 03:41 PM

Prowler is an awesome car!

Xpeed 07-10-2006 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vomit
I did not mean to imply that you were "man seeking man," although it kind of sounded like I was. In any case, I would happily park one in my garage, so the fact that Prowlers tend to be a trade-up for male Miata or Cabrio owners is irrelevant.

I dont think I have ever seen a midnight blue one. Lots of yellow, which I really liked the first couple of times when I saw, then it kinda got old.

What are the performance mod options for the Prowler? I know that the later ones had considerably more HP than the first ones.

Probably unlikely that the SL owner is on this board. Probably had basic intake and exhaust work, if anything. Or maybe he just had a ringer. The weight also hurt you, I am sure.

Sorry if I misunderstood you vomit.

There are only 1278 midnight blues made and only in 2001.

The first year was built in 1997 and has 30 hp less than the later models, the later models have 253 hp. This is an expensive car to modify, because as far as I know only one person makes performance parts for this car.

Actually my car is very light, its 2800 pounds, the frame is all aluminum. My problem is I have very heavy rims and the run flats don’t help either, and the hp loss from the crank to the wheals is ridiculously hi it’s a 33% loss.
None modified prowler runs 0-60 in 6 sec.

SL BRABUS 07-11-2006 12:46 AM

You say your Prowler have 253hp......That is why an stock SL will walk away from the Prowler....because SL have anywhere from 302-326hp and 315-345tq.....depend on the year..:( ..... Is your Prowler V6......??:rolleyes:

Air Marshall Eldritch 07-11-2006 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by SL BRABUS
You say your Prowler have 253hp......That is why an stock SL will walk away from the Prowler....because SL have anywhere from 302-326hp and 315-345tq.....depend on the year..:( ..... Is your Prowler V6......??:rolleyes:

Mine is not far from those power figures (lower end), but I certainly would get spanked by a light-weight Prowler (a thousand pound difference?). What makes the SL so fast? It isn't exactly a butterfly.

Bigdot 07-11-2006 12:53 AM

they were all V6, and i have no idea why! its a damn hot rod!!! they should have put the vet V8 in there, now that would have kicked ass!!

SL BRABUS 07-11-2006 01:01 AM

Xpeed say he race a black SL..... maybe it was the Brabus 7.3 V12.......:nix:

Xpeed 07-12-2006 12:59 AM

I have raced with my cousins 2003 SL 500 and we were dead even from 0-60. I raced my friends CLK 430 and we were dead even. That’s when my car was not modified. Now I am running 0-60 somewhere 5.5 to 5.7. there is no way a stock SL with 20 inch heavy rims can out run me from 0-60. That’s the reason I originally posted on the forum I was hopping the guy would be on the forum and I could find out what mods he had. He had a 1990-2002 SL 500 with an AMG badge, he had the hard top on and 20 inch chrome rims.

Xpeed 07-12-2006 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by RedMongoosE
they were all V6, and i have no idea why! its a damn hot rod!!! they should have put the vet V8 in there, now that would have kicked ass!!

The reason Chrysler didn’t put a v8 is because there is not a lot of space under the hood and it would have been to expensive. For those of you that don’t know the engine of the prowler is in the front and the transmission is in the rear, and that leaves me with no trunk space. The engine and transmission of the prowler are the same as the 300m’s with slight modifications. If you don’t mind spending 50k on the car there are people that will put in a zo6 v8 with a 6 speed tiptronic transmission and you can be running with vipers and AMG 55s. Frankly fast convertibles that have no roll bars scare the s**t out of me.

thuged_out 07-12-2006 04:06 AM

I have raced with my cousins 2003 SL 500 and we were dead even from 0-60. I raced my friends CLK 430 and we were dead even. That’s when my car was not modified. Now I am running 0-60 somewhere 5.5 to 5.7. there is no way a stock SL with 20 inch heavy rims can out run me from 0-60. That’s the reason I originally posted on the forum I was hopping the guy would be on the forum and I could find out what mods he had. He had a 1990-2002 SL 500 with an AMG badge, he had the hard top on and 20 inch chrome rims.

lol dead even with a clk430 huh?

Xpeed 07-13-2006 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by thuged_out
lol dead even with a clk430 huh?

LoL your funny. I cant believe you are defending the CLK but not the SL, as I recall you were present at both times that I raced one as a passenger in my car when I raced my cousins SL and when I raced your CLK. To be clear im saying that we were even from 0-60 but when we raced from 30mph –60mph your car is faster. Happy ? :)

thuged_out 07-13-2006 01:52 AM

LoL your funny. I cant believe you are defending the CLK but not the SL, as I recall you were present at both times that I raced one as a passenger in my car when I raced my cousins SL and when I raced your CLK. To be clear im saying that we were even from 0-60 but when we raced from 30mph –60mph your car is faster. Happy ? :)

what i remember was that one time when i launched properly i raped the prowler:zoom: The other times I was just cruising and u were racing:) Your cousin was cruisin too. U just did a fly by and called it a race lol. We got to do this again now that you moded the car. You might have a chance of stayin even till 60, but after that u know whas up

eLTURCOamg 07-13-2006 09:37 AM

they should put a v8 in a prowler, otherwise its just like a miata, a girly mans car

HLG600 07-13-2006 01:57 PM

Let's look at the weight of the Prowler, which the owner stated was 2800 lbs. That would be a 1400 lb weight advantage over the SL500, which in M119trim, has a 62 hp and 97 tq advantage. Although the M119 V8 is clearly more powerful than the Chrysler V6, we cannot ignore the weights of these two automobiles. On the highway, the SL500 would be superior, but an even 0-60 run does not sound too farfetched.

Xpeed 07-14-2006 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by thuged_out
what i remember was that one time when i launched properly i raped the prowler:zoom: The other times I was just cruising and u were racing:) Your cousin was cruisin too. U just did a fly by and called it a race lol. We got to do this again now that you moded the car. You might have a chance of stayin even till 60, but after that u know whas up

As I remember it you were the one that was racing not me. Weren’t you the one that was holding the brake with your left foot and pushing the accelerator with the right to get an advantage. All I did was take my foot off the brake and put it on the accelerator so I was the one that was cruising not you. Out of 5 tries you finally got that one perfect takeoff. Dam your to competitive. Its on but after its over don’t complain that my car is modified and no more 5 tries to get a perfect take off and best of 3. :zoom: :zoom: :zoom:

rubberninja 07-14-2006 10:20 AM

stop bickering... your trying to compare a Mercedes to a Plymoth, just stop.

Xpeed 07-14-2006 09:04 PM

I am comparing a Chrysler to a Chrysler. :rolf:

thuged_out 07-14-2006 09:50 PM

I am comparing a Chrysler to a Chrysler. :rolf:

lol now thats funny. Monday I'm gona be back from Mexico, so anytime you wana meet up let me know. You know where I live

rubberninja 07-17-2006 02:00 PM

lol no, you're compareing a mercedes to a plymoth. Just cause chrysler gets the rights to both doesn't mean anthing except they're good businessmen. Mercedes isn't an American car all of the sudden. MB still untilizes the same plants and designers it did before it was aquired except now chrysler has a small amount of say as to what is developed, has helped them expand further, and takes care of the paperwork.

The thought that the prowler and any mercedes for that matter were made with the same enginering experiance and design standards is truely something funny :rolf:

Air Marshall Eldritch 07-17-2006 02:08 PM

I was driving behind a Crossfire today. I like the look of this car, but it had one of those Porsche-like spoilers that automatically raises or lowers depending on the speed. Trouble is, this thing is tiny and doesn't seem like it would ever affect the handling of the car, plus it was going up and down at seemingly random speeds - anywhere from 30 to 70mph. As if it was confused.

Xpeed 07-17-2006 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by RBrenton88
I was driving behind a Crossfire today. I like the look of this car, but it had one of those Porsche-like spoilers that automatically raises or lowers depending on the speed. Trouble is, this thing is tiny and doesn't seem like it would ever affect the handling of the car, plus it was going up and down at seemingly random speeds - anywhere from 30 to 70mph. As if it was confused.

The crossfire has a 320 mb engine and the interior of the car has many parts from an mb.

Xpeed 07-17-2006 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by rubberninja
lol no, you're compareing a mercedes to a plymoth. Just cause chrysler gets the rights to both doesn't mean anthing except they're good businessmen. Mercedes isn't an American car all of the sudden. MB still untilizes the same plants and designers it did before it was aquired except now chrysler has a small amount of say as to what is developed, has helped them expand further, and takes care of the paperwork.

The thought that the prowler and any mercedes for that matter were made with the same enginering experiance and design standards is truely something funny :rolf:

Do you know what a joke is?

When did I compare a prowler to a Mercedes? Pleas show me where? Its funny all the noobs are trying to make sure that everyone knows that they are a hardcore MB lover. Just out of curiosity what modifications have you done to your car.

LOL engineering experience and design standards LOL go to the c class forum and read about the problems they have with the car. Chrysler has ****ty quality but Mercedes is not far behind it.