Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

C32 Vs. WRX STI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by v8killer2pt5
the reason you see more consistent "better times" with Evo's is gearing. the Sti gearing is not condusive to 1/4 mile runs. 1st gear about 30 mph, 2nd 58mph, 3rd I forget about 78, 4th 98 and 5th not sure on. That's alot of shifting to finish the 1/4 with alot of room for mistakes and time lost to shifts.
a dog box takes care of this problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Talking

LOL sorry no straight cut gears for me, this car is my daily driver , well as much as it can considering I have 3 other cars. I am considering Andrewtech's longer 1-4 gear upgrade. For right now I will do the RWD conversion and see how I like it.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by v8killer2pt5
LOL sorry no straight cut gears for me, this car is my daily driver , well as much as it can considering I have 3 other cars. I am considering Andrewtech's longer 1-4 gear upgrade. For right now I will do the RWD conversion and see how I like it.
Andrew and my brother are good friends. He has been my brothers biggest help in building this car with his sponsorship at Andrewtech. Andrew is a great guy as well as his crew over at Andrewtech Auto. You can't go wrong with them.

I know what you mean about the daily driving. But, I found it's not any harder to drive...just sounds like you are breaking stuff. It really does work best though when you are using it for what it is made for Oh and if you are wondering if the whine is loud...yea, kind of noisy.

Last edited by deuce zer0; 09-28-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Accord,
With what you said about the STi's, when one is equipped with an intake and turboback exhaust, it will hardly be in the 12s. I've driven both on and off the road, which is because I own both. Even though mine is an WRX, but its setup is beyond what an average STi owner can afford, fully built Cosworth motor w/ JUN sequential manual (only one unit used on public roads as far as I know), T67 turbo running 28psi on pump, plus other bolt ons with nitrous, car put down 596whp on C16 and managed a 10.8 1/4 run with full interior and a cage. I am not trying to show off my fully prepped drag/street car, but just to let everybody on this board who don't quite know about Subaru's to get some correct info on how STi runs on the tracks. As some others have said, you need to have at least an intake, full exhaust, fuel pump upgrade, and reflash plus a good driver to get the car into the mid 12s. On the other hand, the EVO with a turboback exhaust, intake, minor fuel system upgrade, reflash, and a boost controller, can get the car into the high 11s with a good driver. I am not saying I am a good driver, but with the above mentioned plus intercooler piping upgrade, I managed a 11.83 quarter. For cornering, the STi's and WRX's have an uncorrectable understeer no matter what you do about suspension tune ups; however, the EVO's are famous for its point and shoot capabilities, with some small changes, it's even better, understeer is non exisitent. On papers, the STi might have better hp and tq, but in reality, the EVO is a superior car to the STi, in both straight line and cornering.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
Accord,
With what you said about the STi's, when one is equipped with an intake and turboback exhaust, it will hardly be in the 12s. I've driven both on and off the road, which is because I own both. Even though mine is an WRX, but its setup is beyond what an average STi owner can afford, fully built Cosworth motor w/ JUN sequential manual (only one unit used on public roads as far as I know), T67 turbo running 28psi on pump, plus other bolt ons with nitrous, car put down 596whp on C16 and managed a 10.8 1/4 run with full interior and a cage. I am not trying to show off my fully prepped drag/street car, but just to let everybody on this board who don't quite know about Subaru's to get some correct info on how STi runs on the tracks. As some others have said, you need to have at least an intake, full exhaust, fuel pump upgrade, and reflash plus a good driver to get the car into the mid 12s. On the other hand, the EVO with a turboback exhaust, intake, minor fuel system upgrade, reflash, and a boost controller, can get the car into the high 11s with a good driver. I am not saying I am a good driver, but with the above mentioned plus intercooler piping upgrade, I managed a 11.83 quarter. For cornering, the STi's and WRX's have an uncorrectable understeer no matter what you do about suspension tune ups; however, the EVO's are famous for its point and shoot capabilities, with some small changes, it's even better, understeer is non exisitent. On papers, the STi might have better hp and tq, but in reality, the EVO is a superior car to the STi, in both straight line and cornering.
awsome write up and comments.

EVO's and STI's are great cars.. but the EVO is a bit ahead of the curve.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Almost a Member!

I would disagree as I pointed out before this comparison is a ringer. The Sti's stock turbo is smaller than the Evo's and that's not taking into consideration the Evo9 which uses a 10.5 cm exhaust housing. So it's not some type of magic that the Evo's make more power than Sti's with similar or less mods. Now the other half of my car club is Evo's so I have worked and driven them. Yes they are very nimble but I believe it's a bit too go cartish and alot of guys get into trouble with that. The Sti's understeer is easily addressed, I know since I have mine dialed in for me perfectly. Camber 1.5 front, upgraded steering bushings with a anti lift kit which also as a by product gives positive steering response. I kept my stock sway bars since a stiffer setup like most guys use on Sti's and Evo's wander on uneven or rough roads. I could if necessary use a stiffer adjustable REAR sway bar and the car would definitely be on the over steer side but I don't need that for street duty. All that said I am currently using a FP green which is a 49 trim wheel with only a 7cm housing and I am defintely making more power than a fully bolt on and tuned Evo. Why no magic, just .5 liters larger engine, or like 350z's with only 8 psi half of what we run and 1/3 of what evo's run and make more power. It's just the fact more displacement = more power. All in all both cars are great but each has it's pros and cons.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
Accord,
I'm sorry, but you're absolutely wrong about having uncorrectable understeer, that's just ridiculous considering the fact that a simple alignment can can get rid of any and all understeer and even give you more than enough oversteer should that be what you want. You don't "own both," you own a highly modified 2002 WRX, which is in absolutely no way, shape, or form similar to a 2005 or 2006 STI. Your WRX may have some crazy sequential transmission, but it doesn't have DCCD which is standard on all STI's and easily eliminates virtually all understeer.

If you want to talk about reality, the reality is Mitsubishi cannot even afford to compete in the WRC, and when they were competing they were in essence the Minardi of WRC.

A Porsche 911 GT3 vs. a Ferrari 360 Moden vs. a NSX-R vs. vs. a Ferrari 355 F1 vs. an STI vs. an Evo vs. a Skyline: http://www.************/car-movies/09...Subaru-Evo.htm

So much for an Evo wiping the floor with an STI on the track.

That's reality.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Almost a Member!

I forgot about DCCD, mainly because I don't use it. For stret duty the auto setting is fine but ACCORD is right if you put it in full lock understeer is negligible.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems like every day some kid in an STI wants to street race me. For some strange reason, the EVO owners around here appear a few years older and act appropriately more mature. It's easier to respect the car when the driver is not performing a ricer fly-by followed by crazy weaving through traffic.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally Posted by m3_eater
It seems like every day some kid in an STI wants to street race me. For some strange reason, the EVO owners around here appear a few years older and act appropriately more mature. It's easier to respect the car when the driver is not performing a ricer fly-by followed by crazy weaving through traffic.
That's odd.

I have never, I repeat never met or seen an Evo owner who wasn't some wigger any older than 16 or 17, and I see several everyday, whereas I mabye see 1 STI every few weeks, if that. I've even had one Evo owner flash me gang signs .

This is even reflective on the respective online communities, you go somewhere like IWSTI and nearly every STI owner is either a college student or working professional, compare that to EvolutionM where nearly every Evo owner is a teenage old punk kid wHo Talkz like dis.

I don't know about you, but whenever I think of the stereotypical Evo owner, I think of that old internet classic "Icey Hot Stuntaz" or whatever it was called.

You guys all know exactly what i'm talking about.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Wonder what an Atom would do to these. Probably wouldn't be much of a contest as the Atom is insane fast and made for the track. I so want an Atom to drive to work.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 565 Likes on 373 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I see punk wigger Icey Hot Stunna owners of both STI's and EVO's, and then I also see mature enthusiasts who turn their cars into fire breathing road-beasts. Its pretty easy to figure out who's who. Take for instance, the other day I'm at the local liquor store with my gf picking up a couple bottles of wine. I'm sitting in my Beemer about to fire it up, and I hear this thunderous groan across the street. A white EvoIX, lowered on black rims with all the proper goodies including a nice CF panel protecting the rear bumper from melting pulls up into the spot right next to me. Normally I'd expect a hard look, maybe a challenge to a race, anything, but the guy shut it down and jogged right into the liquor store. I liked the Evo so much I hung around to check it out, nice brake kit, really sweet choice of rims, obviously very well sorted, and the color was verrry nice. The guy comes out and I said, "nice Evo dude, good job." He thanked me and hopped right back in, fired it up and crawled out of the parking lot and up the street. All kinds of people drive these cars, not just ricers.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Accord
If you want to talk about reality, the reality is Mitsubishi cannot even afford to compete in the WRC, and when they were competing they were in essence the Minardi of WRC.
Tommi Makinen won four WRC championships driving a Lancer. What are you on about? You really do sound like a Subaru salesman.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I see punk wigger Icey Hot Stunna owners of both STI's and EVO's, and then I also see mature enthusiasts who turn their cars into fire breathing road-beasts. Its pretty easy to figure out who's who. Take for instance, the other day I'm at the local liquor store with my gf picking up a couple bottles of wine. I'm sitting in my Beemer about to fire it up, and I hear this thunderous groan across the street. A white EvoIX, lowered on black rims with all the proper goodies including a nice CF panel protecting the rear bumper from melting pulls up into the spot right next to me. Normally I'd expect a hard look, maybe a challenge to a race, anything, but the guy shut it down and jogged right into the liquor store. I liked the Evo so much I hung around to check it out, nice brake kit, really sweet choice of rims, obviously very well sorted, and the color was verrry nice. The guy comes out and I said, "nice Evo dude, good job." He thanked me and hopped right back in, fired it up and crawled out of the parking lot and up the street. All kinds of people drive these cars, not just ricers.
The only mods I have on my STI are Prodrive Mud Flaps .
Old 10-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by TopGun32

here is a stage 2 car.. (pulley, ecu and headers) running mid 11's (notice the trap speed) NO drags

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...2156f0372a.htm
Whoever posted that video made a mistake. This video was taken at a local track rental (I was there) and he was running drag radials. He is also a member on the board DJe55

I personally like Evo's but there are wayyyyyy too many of em around here.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
I'm sorry, but you're absolutely wrong about having uncorrectable understeer, that's just ridiculous considering the fact that a simple alignment can can get rid of any and all understeer and even give you more than enough oversteer should that be what you want. You don't "own both," you own a highly modified 2002 WRX, which is in absolutely no way, shape, or form similar to a 2005 or 2006 STI. Your WRX may have some crazy sequential transmission, but it doesn't have DCCD which is standard on all STI's and easily eliminates virtually all understeer.

A Porsche 911 GT3 vs. a Ferrari 360 Moden vs. a NSX-R vs. vs. a Ferrari 355 F1 vs. an STI vs. an Evo vs. a Skyline: http://www.************/car-movies/09...Subaru-Evo.htm

So much for an Evo wiping the floor with an STI on the track.

That's reality.
Ok, so you are saying the understeer can be fixed on an STi, how? I don't know if you have watched Top Gear's test between a STi WRX WR1 and an EVO 8 FQ340. They put who they call "The Stig" into the driver seat of both cars, and the EVO tops it. I am not saying you are wrong or I am wrong, but as I understand, that guy is a professional driver, and I am sure he had all the DCCD and other electronics setup to go through Top Gear's track. From the video, the STi understeers all over the place in those sharp corners, where the EVO just goes through them nice and flat. On the other hand, my intention was not offending another Subaru owner, or trying to defend the EVO group, but if you think by saying my highly modified WRX is in no way the same in terms of form, shape as the STi to make you feel better, then I think you need to grow up.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Almost a Member!

Trust me no one was offended but I did offer the reasons why the Evo is better at least in some people's eyes. As for ricers in Sti's well kids must be making more money since to step in a Sti you need 30k give or take before taxes, registration, insurance etc....the same could be said about the Evo. Don't get me wrong the Sti is cheap compared to some of the cars I owned but is in no way easy to buy for a kid. Most of the guys in the car clubs I am a member of make me look like a kid and I am 33. We have doctors, lawyers and senior citizens who are owners. LOL all that said I have had a few kids in Sti's and Evo's harass me, but in the same note I have had plenty more "GANSTA" types in bimmers and benzs bug me too. It's quite a scene when you get pulled up on by a M3 or E 55 with a kid driving, hat turned to the side and upside down. I always have to stifle my laughter, and here in NY this is the norm.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:19 PM

2005 Mitsubishi Evo VIII MR
I drive an evo, and I hate being classified as a youngster (although I am only 26) and I absolutely HATE being classified as a street racing punk. Sucks to hear that you guys get so much grief from Evo OR STI owners....like previosuly stated before, there are many different types of owners. I get heat from STI owners all the time, as well as some Evo owners....and then there are the genuine motorsports loving, apex strafing owners who love the track beast they bought for $35k or less.....

Anyway, good kill...keep it safe on the streets...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by evotistic
I drive an evo, and I hate being classified as a youngster (although I am only 26) and I absolutely HATE being classified as a street racing punk. Sucks to hear that you guys get so much grief from Evo OR STI owners....like previosuly stated before, there are many different types of owners. I get heat from STI owners all the time, as well as some Evo owners....and then there are the genuine motorsports loving, apex strafing owners who love the track beast they bought for $35k or less.....

Anyway, good kill...keep it safe on the streets...

WELL PUT!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:43 PM

2008 C300 Sport & 2008 E320 Bluetec
Bone stock STI's will do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and consistely run mid-high 12's in the 1/4 mile all day long with a half decent driver, all you need to be in the low 12's is an intake and a TBE, which i'd say a majority of STI's have. You really had no chance at all.

The only way a C32/55 has a chance against an STI, is at a roll already at highway speeds, in any other situation, forget about it.
I have many friends with STI's and they run no where near mid 12's stock, they are a high 13 sec car untill they have mods....end of story... I have raced many of them when I had my 350Z...
Old 10-21-2006, 02:33 PM

ML350 '06
I had a chance to race an STI 2 days ago but the kid wouldn't go. We were driving for a few miles so he had plenty of opportunities and he would catch up to me and then slow down. I think he was just checking me out. His car sounded modded and had all the tach gauges but he wouldn't race. I was looking forward to seeing how he would do against my E55 - just curious. I have had some runs with Evo's with my C55 and that was fun! Especially the last kid who pulled over and was bumbed b/c his mods he just had done didn't beat me...although it was very close until the end. I like both of these cars STI & EVO!

I was talking to a buddy of mine and we're thinking about getting a beater Jap car to work on. Especially since the hp gains will be much cheaper than modding my E55. But then, I'd love to see what my car with a fully staged Renntech setup would be like! Hmmmm? My wife hates this new hobby of mine!