MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   00 ML320 suspension noise (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/146087-00-ml320-suspension-noise.html)

xyzpl 04-26-2006 12:45 PM

00 ML320 suspension noise

Hi guys,

I am having horrific (ok horrific might be a bit harsh...) noises coming from my front suspension. Very loud "clunk" "clunk" noise from the fron suspensions everytime I go over speed bumps and or make a turn. It sounds like something is loose, but when I took it to my local MB shop they checked everything and it was all tight...

I remember this kind of noise from my old BMW, it was the bushings, so I ask if it was the bushings, but the mechanic said bushing is fine... but I swear it sounded just like my old bushing problem...

Any ideas? It has 80K miles on it.

Thanks!

Benz_nut 04-26-2006 01:39 PM

I had the same problem with mine a while back...MB dealer took a look at it, found that the torsion bars and catalytic converters were loose and rubbing against each other...

If you don't trust your dealers, jack the truck up and take a look at it yourself...:zoom:

xyzpl 04-26-2006 06:55 PM

Great! That sounds possible. I will have a look at it tonight! Thanks for the help!

fasteddie 04-28-2006 10:46 AM

Had mine make that noise....turned out to be stabilizer bushings. Dealer replaced under extended warrenty.

Ed.

ghitos73 04-30-2006 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddie
Had mine make that noise....turned out to be stabilizer bushings. Dealer replaced under extended warrenty.

Ed.

I am having the same issue/sound. It is driving me nuts. :smash: Where is the stabilizer bushings located? Do you have any photos?

Thanks

RyanTheWizard 05-05-2006 10:45 PM

i noticed it too on my '99 ML320. Its kinda loud....

Darkmann 05-05-2006 11:03 PM

Classic Torsion Bar Bushing Noise

95% certain that the problem is bad torsion bar bushings. The dealer may lubricate them - but that's a very temporary solution. As them to replace the bushings, especially if still under warranty.

fasteddie 05-06-2006 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ghitos73
I am having the same issue/sound. It is driving me nuts. :smash: Where is the stabilizer bushings located? Do you have any photos?

Thanks

It could easily be torsion bar bushings as well....in my case it was the stabilizer bar.

You can find it quite easily. It's a great big bar that runs right-left across the front of the suspension, about 1 1/4 inch in diameter. Can't miss it.

Eb.

Calcio 05-10-2006 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by xyzpl
Hi guys,

I am having horrific (ok horrific might be a bit harsh...) noises coming from my front suspension. Very loud "clunk" "clunk" noise from the fron suspensions everytime I go over speed bumps and or make a turn. It sounds like something is loose, but when I took it to my local MB shop they checked everything and it was all tight...

I remember this kind of noise from my old BMW, it was the bushings, so I ask if it was the bushings, but the mechanic said bushing is fine... but I swear it sounded just like my old bushing problem...

Any ideas? It has 80K miles on it.

Thanks!

I had that on mine. Required new coil-over shocks to fix.