MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Lifter / Ticking noise (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/148150-lifter-ticking-noise.html)

zxed 05-12-2006 12:03 PM

Lifter / Ticking noise

So im still trying to figure out the kinks on my new certified pre owned...

the lifters tick., or at least i think its the lifters., cant be anything else that is that constant, with ticking.... how do i get it fixed., i took delivery on sunday...

also my car has the tranny shift problem., it happens very rarely, and i cant duplicate it.. basicaly, it seems like a gear that gets stuck and then drops it in the next gear (usually in lower gears).... any help?

hanniep 05-12-2006 12:39 PM

What model ML do you have?,...mine ticks or pings like crazy if I get bad or low octane gas,..

55fanatic 05-13-2006 12:29 AM

both of you should really purchase and use some Techron Fuel additive...

And get your fuel filters replaced soon now that Mobil and exxon have switched to an ethanol blend(if you use them on a regular basis)

cyeung65 05-13-2006 05:04 PM

Let's clarify:

Lifter Ticking - what you may hear at idle, a no load condition. Usually prevalent at cold start up and may get quieter or disappear altogether when oil pressure increases and engine temperature increases.

Pinging (aka "knock", or "dieseling") - the noise you hear when the engine is in a high stress condition, either on acceleration from a stop light or accelerating in 5th gear like up a hill or passing. Noise goes away when the engine returns to a light load condition.

The pinging or knock, is usually attributable to low octane, bad quality gas, or carbon deposits on the valve seats or piston tops. Fuel injection cleaner in the tank may help, but a pressurized fuel injection cleaning would be the recommended treatment.

Pinging/knock seems unlikely for the ML since the engine mgmt system has knock sensors and retards ignition curves and timing to prevent "knock".

As for lifter ticking, if it is intermittent, I found fresh oil in the sump took care of the problem. If it is constant, then you are S.O.L. - valve train components may be permanently damaged.

Doesn't MB have a class action settlement on the 320 motors becasue of the FSS? I have to dig my notice up but I thought they would stand behind any engine damage due to sludge build up. Sludge could cause lifter damage.

pointman 05-14-2006 01:58 AM

i have a constant tick. dealer says its normal. complained several times. i know its not normal cause i have owned several ml's prior. whatever. i have a 100k warranty. either way, its gonna be on their dime.

hanniep 05-15-2006 04:01 AM

I don't have any ticking now that I know what gas to use, I changed my filters and the techron really helped too....

pointman 05-15-2006 10:43 AM

HannieP, where can i get the techron? specific model of it?

thanks.

cyeung65 05-15-2006 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by pointman
HannieP, where can i get the techron? specific model of it?

thanks.

If its the constant ticking you are chasing after, the Techron won't help, its a fuel injector cleaner. Another source of ticking could be the fuel injectors themselves. A bad fuel injector can make noise. You may be able to isolate one that is bad and making a ticking sound. Sometimes the ticking is considered "normal" but if you can hear it is louder than your previous ML's, I would have to say it is not normal.

If its the valve lifters ticking you are after, I was going to add some Pro-Blend Engine Treatment into the oil, but when I changed my oil, the ticking went away. I have used Pro-Blend in an old 1970 V-8 motor with success, this stuff has been around way before those infomercial "Teflon" oil gimmicks.