M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

New AMG transmission software

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
New AMG transmission software

We all know about the AMG software in the transmission that "holds" gears. Well lately my ML 320 had been holding gears, I am kind of concerned. Today on the freeway I went to pass a car going 50 in the fast lane and gave my car a little gas, car downshifted to 3rd gear i got up to 65 which is past 4k rpm in 3rd the car held 3rd gear for a good 30 seconds I even looked down to see if I might of tapped the sucker into tiptronic mode but it said "D" on the LCD display. This also happened the other day in 2nd gear while in rush hour traffic but as soon as I slowed down I had a hard clunk downshift into 1st gear... Any suggestions? I hope the transmission reset I did today will help (key in P2 foot on pedal ect.)
Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
We all know about the AMG software in the transmission that "holds" gears. Well lately my ML 320 had been holding gears, I am kind of concerned. Today on the freeway I went to pass a car going 50 in the fast lane and gave my car a little gas, car downshifted to 3rd gear i got up to 65 which is past 4k rpm in 3rd the car held 3rd gear for a good 30 seconds I even looked down to see if I might of tapped the sucker into tiptronic mode but it said "D" on the LCD display. This also happened the other day in 2nd gear while in rush hour traffic but as soon as I slowed down I had a hard clunk downshift into 1st gear... Any suggestions? I hope the transmission reset I did today will help (key in P2 foot on pedal ect.)
I do believe that is normal behavior for the 320 transmission... both my ML320 and my C320 do it. I read somewhere (i think the owners manual) that it is for "PASSING" the vehicle stays in a low gear resting in the power-ban prepared for you to stomp on it again.

I notice it does this usually not the first time i get on it... but religiously the second and third time. GREAT for messing in traffic or passing on mountain roads so you dont have to use trip-tronic.

When it downshifts and you dont want it to stay in 3rd or 4th... just click the shifter to the right (even if it already says "D") and it will upshift back to normal.

Also just a FYI... in the mornings when your car is cold.. and your in "D" you know how it revs high before shifting till the engine warms... you can click it + and you will bypass the low gear hold.