MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   ML320 Rear Seat locked in down position (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/215931-ml320-rear-seat-locked-down-position.html)

kiva55 10-28-2007 06:30 PM

ML320 Rear Seat locked in down position

The rear seat behind the driver side in my 2002 ML320 is in a locked down position. I can barely get my hand under it. I did find that the cable on the middle lever has come lose. The front lever cable appears to be fine. Yes, there is something stuck under the seat (dust mop). Is there a simple DIY to get the seat back up so I can reattach the cable? I've read several posts on the MB forum websites but no real specifics on what to do.

V1k 11-02-2007 04:55 PM

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my ML - do you have any pics which you can post? would make it simpler to see what is going on.

On my car, the cable had come out of it's housing. It was a simple 2 minute job - I placed the cable back into it's hook and it started to work fine.

kiva55 11-02-2007 07:54 PM

Cable

I don't know if a photo would help. I have the cable in my hand. It came loose from the lever and the release mechanism under the seat. I can see a dust mop that my wife uses under the seat so I am assuming it pushed the cable loose from its connection. The seat if flat against the floor to where I can barely get my hand under it. I am assuming that the release mechanism is on the right hand side of the seat towards the rear passenger side seat. Not sure if there is a work around from that side. Worst case, I have an appoint at the dealership tomorrow.

KCOA 04-16-2010 01:24 PM

Kiva, have the exact same problem. How did you fix it? I am running out of ideas and it looks like professional help is going to be my only remedy because I can't get under the seat. Cost $$???

graham_perrin 05-03-2010 04:15 AM

V1k - exactly the same problem with my ML270 CDi. Can't access the housing for the cables because the seat is flat against the floor! I have been told it's a case of poking around with a long screwdriver until (by luck) you hit the release mechanism. Went into my local dealer to ask advice and was told (with a grin) that it I'd have to take the whole seat apart. Don't even know how to start with that because I can't get at the upholstery to unhook it from the frame --- because the seat is flat against the floor. I now have a three seater ML270 .. any help?

dbrace 05-06-2010 10:26 AM

I had a 2000 ML320 and had this problem.
I used a long flat metal ruler probably needs to be 450ml long by 30-40ml wide
The one I used was a large flat square for making picture frames,
but I guess any long flat metal will do.
You need to slide the ruler under the seat from the outside with the door
open.The mechanism is at the front of the seat on the insde.
The saet sits on 2 poles that have cables that rotate
a locking mechanism when you pull the handle.

I think you can feel under the front of the saet where the
the cable would go.

Its quite trickey but I got it in the ned.

danolectro 08-28-2010 06:53 PM

location of release - easy!!!

Look at seat from opposite side of vehicle. Towards front of the bottom of the seat base there is a steel "ear" with a small "knob" on it. Press on the "knob" inwards to rotate the latch, and have someone lift the seat. The cable tube is fitted in to spots to the seat frame, just snaps in. Re-snap these in place. Works just like a bicycle brake cable. These are dislodged when something is under the seat when lowered. Hopes this helps someone, was a b**** to figure out.

Heating Man 09-26-2010 12:23 PM

Rear Seat Locked in Down Position

Having just discovered this forum I am delighted to inform you that with the 'words of wisdom' of one of your members I have just sucessfully released the rear (double section) seat which had been locked in the down position. It would seem that when lowering the seat a couple of weeks ago, a book was wedged under the seat and this (according to one of your members) could cause the cable to become loose and pop out of its cradle. I took it to my mercedes garage and they informed me that they had only had one case like it before and it had taken them over three hours to release it having had to remove the whole of the back seat and they estimated a cost of £350 (including discount). However, my reluctance to pay brought me to this forum today and using a 'ruler like' implement of 45cm in length (made by cutting up a saw) I managed to click open the mechanism. NOTE. Unlike the single rear seat behind the driver where the mechanism is at the front of the seat, on the double seat it is at the back. You can get a sightly better view of the mechanism by shining a torch down the side of the middle folding support arm at the back of the seat. Hey presto, my first attempt worked. I wish all members who have this problem to have the same amount of luck!!!!

DeniseDoll 06-17-2013 04:22 PM

rear seat locked in down position

I have a similar problem but mine is locked in the forward position so I can see the cable and everything. I don't know what an ear is to find the knob that supposedly releases it.

my cable seems to be too long. When I put it back in place, the lever pulls it but there's still slack in the cable so it doesn't pull on anything.

any ideas?

1DayGB 12-29-2016 01:31 PM

Did you figure out how to remove the slack? I put the cap back in the holder and there is still a lot of slack so that the handle does not actually engage the cylinders.

Originally Posted by DeniseDoll (Post 5683072)
I have a similar problem but mine is locked in the forward position so I can see the cable and everything. I don't know what an ear is to find the knob that supposedly releases it.

my cable seems to be too long. When I put it back in place, the lever pulls it but there's still slack in the cable so it doesn't pull on anything.

any ideas?

Ally Emery 09-21-2017 04:22 PM

ML500 Rear driver seat locked

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d85492f9ae.jpg
I've figured out the whole cable thing and the seat can move forward and backward just fine. What I haven't found the answer to is why the backrest is still stuck in a down position and won't go back up even when I'm pulling the latch by the headrest that usually releases it, does anyone know how to fix that issue? The latch will pull out but doesn't seem to be working normal.

rjoombes 12-26-2020 05:19 PM

2001 ML320. Rear seat won't raise.

Originally Posted by Ally Emery (Post 7269008)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d85492f9ae.jpg
I've figured out the whole cable thing and the seat can move forward and backward just fine. What I haven't found the answer to is why the backrest is still stuck in a down position and won't go back up even when I'm pulling the latch by the headrest that usually releases it, does anyone know how to fix that issue? The latch will pull out but doesn't seem to be working normal.

This is the exact problem I have. All the YouTube videos deal with lower cables. Does anyone have an answer?

Odd Piggy 12-27-2020 11:56 PM

Rear Seat Won't Raise

Originally Posted by rjoombes (Post 8233075)
This is the exact problem I have. All the YouTube videos deal with lower cables. Does anyone have an answer?

Our 2005 ML350 had a similar problem. We had the 60/40 split bench seat, but I think the solution should be similar for the solid bench.

On ours the seat back was held in place with clips similar to the ones that hold on the door panels. Try carefully prying it loose. When the seat back is off, all the latching mechanism should be visible and whatever it is that is holding the seat back down can be freed.

On the ML350 it was the seat belt retractor. A small device to keep the belt from retracting all the way when the seat was folded forward was missing and the set belt retractor went into the ratcheting hold mode as if someone was seated and latched. With the back off, the belt retractor could be released, the seat back could be raised, and the belt stop could be replaced.