M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

hey, I'm new and I have a question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML320
hey, I'm new and I have a question....

I get some chattering on turns when i accelerate. Being a Ford Tech. I see this once and a while on the Fords. The ML has 25k miles on it and so i replaced the front and rear diff fluid with the reccomended fluid from MB and I added friction modifier to both front and rear. It has to work itself in for a couple of days in order to fix it but is this a common problem??? Also I feel as if my cooling fan clutch is always engaged. I hear the fan LOUD when i accelerate. Has anyone ever had these problems???
PS I'm new.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by blp320
I get some chattering on turns when i accelerate. Being a Ford Tech. I see this once and a while on the Fords. The ML has 25k miles on it and so i replaced the front and rear diff fluid with the reccomended fluid from MB and I added friction modifier to both front and rear. It has to work itself in for a couple of days in order to fix it but is this a common problem??? Also I feel as if my cooling fan clutch is always engaged. I hear the fan LOUD when i accelerate. Has anyone ever had these problems???
PS I'm new.
I'm not sure why you did this. As far as I know, the ML doesn't have limited slip differential, so I don't understand why the friction modifier. Does the service book call for this? The slip action (traction control, basically) is all electronically monitored and controlled. I have never done diff oil change on the ML, but I don't ever recall mention of adding friction modifier to the oil. Did the chatter begin prior to changing the oil or after?

Besides, even if it was called for, it works immediately - doesn't have to work its way in. I have other cars with limited slip diffs and there is no requirement for the thing to be in there for a couple of days before it starts working.

I don't know about the cooling fan clutch.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The 98's will chatter on tight turns no matter what you put into it. This is due to the 50/50 power split between the front and rear. This chatter was fixed, I believe in 99 when they changed the ratio slightly to get away from this problem. In fact, I would not use any additives in the fluid per MB. Damage could result and you will find yourself in need of some expensive parts. Its not a Ford you know.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
My 2000 doesn't chatter a bit...

That was one thing that got me really astonished!

Not even the slightest chatter in the tightest of the turn...wow! MB did indeed figure out how to make AWD do that...

Anyways, I just happened to drive a 2008 GMC Envoy (someone sideswiped my ML..I was in a rental while it was in the bodyshop)...and the chatter was horrible...

Here's another thing of interest. The ML doesn't chatter even in low range....the Envoy's chatter in low range was obnoxious...

Besides the ML, I am yet to drive a vehicle that has no chatter in tight turns. Even my 2006 Subaru Tribeca gives a slight feel of discomfort in tight turns.

As for the differential fluid, I did get my differentials flushed and re-filled at 100K miles....had the dealer take care of it. ($600 for the full drive train flush & refill - tranny, transfer case and 2 differentials)
Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML320
FOund out it was my transfer case. It's normal on the 98's anyway anyone know why my cooling fan is louder than normal. It almost seems as if the clutch is staying engaged but when i shut my car off it can turn freely. Just curious if this is normal or not.